Wonderlic test

Helpmenow

Spiller was on the honor roll in high school, made the Dean's List in college, and got his sociology degree in 3-1/2 years. How does one reconcile that with the 10 on the Wonderlic? I know athletes get help, but none get enough help to get them on the honor roll/Dean's List, much less graduate a semester early.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means you're not too terribly bright I would guess?

:unsure:

Where did Fitzpatricks almost acing the wonderlic get him Einstien?

Jim Kelly scores in the 15's(as did Marino) , Fitz 49, Fitz scores three times as high as Kelly, yet Jim Kelly was three times the QB and so was Dan Marino.

Edited by Fig Newton

Spiller was on the honor roll in high school, made the Dean's List in college, and got his sociology degree in 3-1/2 years. How does one reconcile that with the 10 on the Wonderlic? I know athletes get help, but none get enough help to get them on the honor roll/Dean's List, much less graduate a semester early.

It's kind of odd isn't it? Maybe something happened, panicked or isn't a good test taker or something but his grades indicate even if he's not great at test taking or totally unprepared he should do better the that.

Like I said - mathematically - his anticipated score if he was just guessing would be higher. You would think even if generally outmatched by the test he should be able to get 5-10 definite correct answers and get into the teens guessing the rest.

Edited by NoSaint

Because people would rather bash Spiller for not rushing for 1000 yards in anyway possible instead of actually thinking.

Where did Fitzpatricks almost acing the wonderlic get him Einstien?

Jim Kelly scores in the 15's(as did Marino) , Fitz 49, Fitz scores three times as high as Kelly, yet Jim Kelly was three times the QB,

Although Fitz is no Jim Kelly, Kelly also had quite a bit more talent to work with on both offense and defense. So your comparison is a bit flawed. QBs do not win games by themselves. You can ask Steve Young for instance how he felt moving from Tampa to the Niners.

It's kind of odd isn't it? Maybe something happened, panicked or isn't a good test taker or something but his grades indicate even if he's not great at test taking or totally unprepared he should do better the that.

Like I said - mathematically - his anticipated score if he was just guessing would be higher. You would think even if generally outmatched by the test he should be able to get 5-10 definite correct answers and get into the teens guessing the rest.

Because people would rather bash Spiller for not rushing for 1000 yards in anyway possible instead of actually thinking.

Before the draft, when I saw that Spiller scored a 10, I was dead-set against the Bills drafting him. After learning about him being on honor rolls and graduating early, I didn't know what the deal was, but figured those were more indicative than the Wonderlic. After his rookie season, I don't know what to think, but I won't bury him just yet.

Maybin... Spiller... Nix is on a roll.

I guess it's my turn to correct this myth.

Dorkington, at the time of Maybin's selection, Nix was the Bills' National Scout. His primary emphasis was in the southeast (SEC). From BuffaloBills.com:

Though his focus will remain in the Southeast, Nix will serve as a National Scout for Buffalo, which will require him to cover a lot of the major college programs in preparation for the NFL draft.

“The Southeast is what I’m most familiar with, but I think my title probably means I could go see top players in other areas if Tom Modrak decides that. And if that’s where I need to go that’s where I’ll go.”

Tom Modrak on the other hand, was and is, the Bills' Director of College Scouting. Even though it is strongly speculated that the Maybin selection was Dick Jauron's decision, you have to at least partially blame Modrak for not vehemently vetoing the draft pick.

Nix on the other hand was a scout who scouted an area that does not include Penn State or The Big Ten Conference. In fairness, you cannot lay the Maybin pick at the feet of Nix.

Here's another thing that's in my craw. If you or others insist on blaming Nix for drafting Maybin (even though Nix was not a decision maker), then you have to give him credit for the stellar drafts in San Diego.

You see, many naysayers on this board want to say that the San Diego drafts were all A.J. Smith and that Buddy Nix deserves no credit for them. However some of those same posters want to blame Buddy Nix for the Maybin selection even though Nix was only a scout.

Even for those here who insist on putting a negative spin on things, can we at least try to be fair? Thank you.

Although Fitz is no Jim Kelly, Kelly also had quite a bit more talent to work with on both offense and defense. So your comparison is a bit flawed. QBs do not win games by themselves. You can ask Steve Young for instance how he felt moving from Tampa to the Niners.

Kelly still had twice the arm, twice the accuracy, Fitz is a fumbling,bumbling fool ( I hear where you're coming from though)

Edited by Fig Newton

I am keeping a tally of all the posters who say that CJ Spiller is not a good running back.....

Not a I told you so guy.....but that is just so ridiculous. Maybe he got off to a slow start.....but anyone who thinks CJ Spiller is not going to be a player in this league man I dont even know what to tell you.

TOO MUCH TALENT not to turn it around......and if the Bills evaluators were wrong on CJ then so was EVERBODY else.....he was picked right where he should be.

Spiller is the next Maybin. He is too small for the NFL. A terrible pick and Buddy should be fired for taking him.

Spiller is the next Maybin. He is too small for the NFL. A terrible pick and Buddy should be fired for taking him.

Warrick Dunn is the next Maybin. He is too small for the NFL. A terrible pick and Rich McKay should be fired for taking him.

[/freester circa 1996]

Spiller made the Dean's list? Remind me never to send one of my children to Clemson.

Kelly still had twice the arm, twice the accuracy, Fitz is a fumbling,bumbling fool ( I hear where you're coming from though)

You avatar while cool makes me :sick: at the thought.

Oh, you wanted some stats? How about these:

Peterson had over 1300 yards (9 starts) his rookie year. Johnson had 1228. Hmm-yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe the wonderlic is irrelevant. Maybe you also have to be a very good RB to make the transition. You win.

But, as Beerball points out, this kid had to be told what to do in the huddle. Didn't see that for Johnson, Blount, Peterson, etc.

Maybe Spiller's handicap is that he isn't actually a very good RB.

The point that was made is that having a low wonderlic score is a contributing factor to a RB's ability and skill level and it was proved incorrect. You have just taken the opportunity to go off topic and use it to slate the Bills (again). For an obviously intelligent person you are one miserable fella.

I guess it's my turn to correct this myth.

Dorkington, at the time of Maybin's selection, Nix was the Bills' National Scout. His primary emphasis was in the southeast (SEC). From BuffaloBills.com:

Though his focus will remain in the Southeast, Nix will serve as a National Scout for Buffalo, which will require him to cover a lot of the major college programs in preparation for the NFL draft.

"The Southeast is what I'm most familiar with, but I think my title probably means I could go see top players in other areas if Tom Modrak decides that. And if that's where I need to go that's where I'll go."

Tom Modrak on the other hand, was and is, the Bills' Director of College Scouting. Even though it is strongly speculated that the Maybin selection was Dick Jauron's decision, you have to at least partially blame Modrak for not vehemently vetoing the draft pick.

Nix on the other hand was a scout who scouted an area that does not include Penn State or The Big Ten Conference. In fairness, you cannot lay the Maybin pick at the feet of Nix.

Here's another thing that's in my craw. If you or others insist on blaming Nix for drafting Maybin (even though Nix was not a decision maker), then you have to give him credit for the stellar drafts in San Diego.

You see, many naysayers on this board want to say that the San Diego drafts were all A.J. Smith and that Buddy Nix deserves no credit for them. However some of those same posters want to blame Buddy Nix for the Maybin selection even though Nix was only a scout.

Even for those here who insist on putting a negative spin on things, can we at least try to be fair? Thank you.

What sticks in my craw are how blind homers continually justify the craptacular performance of the Bills drafts over the last 15 years

1. the Bills are a team in total dysfunction when it comes to the draft. They finally do the smart thing and bring in a Buddy who they think is qualified enough to be their national scout and confidante.

yet they don't consult him on their first round pick of a player who is a one year wonder

yeah- that sounds believable - not even for the clown show at OBD who brought Buddy in special for the draft

2. just because Ralph likes 70 year old retired guys to run things does not mean AJ Smith let Nix or anyone else make the selections in San Diego. Buddy could have been a scout in SD and treated as the guru Ralph remembered from 15 years ago.

Edited by spartacus

Yes, that is what I remember wheh Spiller was drafted, intelligence was considered one of his strenghts.

What sticks in my craw are how blind homers continually justify the craptacular performance of the Bills drafts over the last 15 years

1. the Bills are a team in total dysfunction when it comes to the draft. They finally do the smart thing and bring in a Buddy who they think is qualified enough to be their national scout and confidante.

yet they don't consult him on their first round pick of a player who is a one year wonder

yeah- that sounds believable - not even for the clown show at OBD who brought Buddy in special for the draft

2. just because Ralph likes 70 year old retired guys to run things does not mean AJ Smith let Nix or anyone else make the selections in San Diego. Buddy could have been a scout in SD and treated as the guru Ralph remembered from 15 years ago.

Are you texting from a phone? I'm not understanding either of your points. I'm not trying to be a Jauron…just not sure what you're saying.

Less than 4 years? Where the hell did that number come from? You sure you're not talking about closers in baseball??

He's actually referring to the average length of time the 'fringe' element of TSW has to express themselves before they're ignored by the majority of the board...and it's hours, rather than years.