1 Bills Drive: Let's Get Real

BiggieScooby

Given the complexity of today's NFL Defenses I am of the opinion that all QBs take 2 to 3 seasons minimum to develop. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his rookie year. Roethlisberger, Ryan, & Flacco were asked to "manage" the game and were asked not to lose it. Anointing Cam Newton or anyone else the savior is simply asking too much. We have too many holes to address then selecting a QB in 2011 with our #3 pick overall.

2012 offers more QBs than 2011 with the addition of one elite QB in Andrew Luck. Additionally guys like Matt Barkley (if he enters early), Stephen Garcia, Kellen Moore, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles will all be there.

The build plan should be simple: solidify the NFLs worst rush defense by building the front 7 & knab a real tight end.

Mock Draft:

1st Round - Pick #3 Robert Quinn 6'5'' 268 OLB 3-4 or 4-3 DE North Carolina

2nd Round - Pick #35 Kyle Rudolph 6'6'' 260 TE Notre Dame

3rd Round - Pick #67 Jarvis Jenkins 6'4'' 310 DE 3-4 or 4-3 DT Clemson

4th Round - Pick #100 Casey Matthews 6'1'' 232 WILB 3-4 or SILB 3-4 Oregon

4th Round - Pick #107 Sione Fua 6'2'' 307 DT 3-4 or 4-3 DT Stanford

5th Round - Pick #132 Chris Culliver 6'0'' 197 CB South Carolina

6th Round - Pick #164 Tejay Johnson 6'1'' 212 SS TCU

7th Round - Pick #196 Richard Sherman 6'3'' 197 CB Stanford

Get depth on the defensive side of the ball. Only other offensive position that I would be fine with is OT.

But if QBs take 2-3 years to develop, shouldn't we grab one now, so that he's developed by the time we've filled all those holes?

Personally, I don't want either Newton or Gabbert, both of whom I think will bust. But if QBs truly take so long to develop, you can't afford to wait until all your holes are filled before drafting one.

But if QBs take 2-3 years to develop, shouldn't we grab one now, so that he's developed by the time we've filled all those holes?

Personally, I don't want either Newton or Gabbert, both of whom I think will bust. But if QBs truly take so long to develop, you can't afford to wait until all your holes are filled before drafting one.

^This^

Also, why do all Bills fans have Mathews coming to us in the 4th...he wont be there by the 4th and likely gone in the 2nd.

^This^

Also, why do all Bills fans have Mathews coming to us in the 4th...he wont be there by the 4th and likely gone in the 2nd.

i have to agree! i see quite a few of the mocks from the guys on here having us getting casey matthews in the 3rd, 4th round. i think he will be gone by the completion of the second, if for nothing else , on the coattails of brother clay. i would love to get him, but he will be long gone by the third.

Edited by dwight in philly

Personally, I think the QB prospects are better next year. And tell me the truth. Has Nix or Gailey done anything to make you believe the Bills might not once again be one of the worst teams in the NFL next year and legit contenders in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes? Just sayin'

I like the idea of going for defensive players and putting together a very strong d as the priority of this off season. There is a need to address the offensive tackle positions which might be dealt with in free agency or trade. I'm still liking Luke Stocker the tight end from Tennessee if he falls to the late second or early third round, but other than that the picks you suggest sound pretty darn good.

I personally think that the "time it takes to develop a QB" gets a lot easier if the rest of the team is solid

- Solidify the OL and get a set unit....and a couple of swingguys that can play multiple spots

- Get the guy a fricken safety valve TE.....no need to draft plenty of good ones available in free agency this year

- A ROCK SOLID DEFENSE.....so that we can keep the offense on the field.....not have to score on every friggen possession.....run the ball like we used to to protect the QB and create playaction

Biuld the team around the QB and then the learning curve will be less because he wont have to carry the team......

I truly think Cam Newton is going to be great. He has an arm, legs, vision and desire, don't hold his father against him (not many held Jimbos family against him when we drafted him and look at the screwball brothers he has). If Cam were white this board would be clamoring for him and calling him Jim Kelly with Doug Flutie's moves. But he isn't, so we label him the next Marcus Russell or Vince Young. Personally I'd like to see us grab young and turn his head around - hoping it doesn't fall off - as all he does is win. That said, I am all for drafting defense this year-- DE, DTs and LBs with an OL in rd 3. Forget drafting a TE, whoever we draft will suck, they always do.

Edited by jumbalaya

Given the complexity of today's NFL Defenses I am of the opinion that all QBs take 2 to 3 seasons minimum to develop. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his rookie year. Roethlisberger, Ryan, & Flacco were asked to "manage" the game and were asked not to lose it. Anointing Cam Newton or anyone else the savior is simply asking too much. We have too many holes to address then selecting a QB in 2011 with our #3 pick overall.

2012 offers more QBs than 2011 with the addition of one elite QB in Andrew Luck. Additionally guys like Matt Barkley (if he enters early), Stephen Garcia, Kellen Moore, Ryan Lindley, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, Terrelle Pryor, Nick Foles will all be there.

The build plan should be simple: solidify the NFLs worst rush defense by building the front 7 & knab a real tight end.

Mock Draft:

Get depth on the defensive side of the ball. Only other offensive position that I would be fine with is OT.

I'm not trying to rip on your draft, just a constructive review…

1. 20 year old player who hasn't played football since 2009. Selling at #3.

2. Tight end who only caught 3 TDs last year. Sorry, don't like it at all.

3. Good pick.

4a. Odds are this is the first Matthews who will suck at the NFL level. Chasing a name LB who doesn't have good enough size is a wasted 4th rd pick.

4b. Good pick.

Here's a better draft that I just whipped up…

1. Green WR Georgia

2. M. Wilson ILB Illinois

3. J. Pinkston OL Pitt

4a. L. Guy DE Arizona St.

4b. D. DeCicco SS Pitt

5. T. Taylor QB VT

6. I'm tired of doing research so you get only 5 rounds today.

...notice the Wanny/Pitt influence!

If this is the case, wouldn't it be more beneficial to get one sooner rather than later?

My company manufactures flux capacitors...

I believe i have one of your company's flux capacitors. i might well have a warranty issue for you to address. please.

We were 4- something last year? Unless this was the supersecret reverse Flux capacitor? Because we now have such a great draft pick this year. hmm.

but we seem to be stumbling as to best use this awesome opportunity and will somehow fail for some reason later to be defined.

I would like your good and fine Capacitor making company to either replace the one we have with an effective unit have or possible upgrade in payment for our pain and suffering as semi hopeful Bills fans

ps cam is not what we want. He might work out somewhere. But some of the later picks whom Chan and our scouts like coached sb will be worthwhile investing. Kaerpnikel, and Pondering come to mind. seriously though,

Edited by 3rdand12

Personally, I think the QB prospects are better next year.

Which prospects exactly? There is Luck, and....

I personally think that the "time it takes to develop a QB" gets a lot easier if the rest of the team is solid

- Solidify the OL and get a set unit....and a couple of swingguys that can play multiple spots

- Get the guy a fricken safety valve TE.....no need to draft plenty of good ones available in free agency this year

- A ROCK SOLID DEFENSE.....so that we can keep the offense on the field.....not have to score on every friggen possession.....run the ball like we used to to protect the QB and create playaction

Biuld the team around the QB and then the learning curve will be less because he wont have to carry the team......

Right, but the point would be to draft your guy now, and then build the team while he is learning so you have all the pieces in place. Newton (or whoever) can/should sit all of next year while Gailey gets him up to speed. That gives us a full season, a free agency period, and a draft, to get the pieces in place around him before he has to start in 2012.

It also gives our other young talent along the O and D lines to improve. And we have our serviceable veteran starter on the team RIGHT NOW.

NOW is really the perfect time to bring a rookie QB onto the team. Take the pressure off right away by making it known he will NOT start in 2011. Continue to build the team around him.

This way, you also know what type of QB you are building that team for.

1. Draft QB

2. Spend next year shoring up the Offense

3. By the time he is ready to start, we are all ready to fire on all cylinders.

Why do we have to waste a pick on a QB when we already got one. Does Fitz have a #1 wr, no. Does Fitz have a top 15 oline, no. Does Fitz have a TE, no. So how is Fitzs supposed to be a great QB if he does not have talent around him. Look what happened to Pat manning when his team got the injury bug. He did not do much better then FItz during that stretch. If we finally give Fitz talent to work with he will probably be a top 10 maybe top 15 QB.

It would be a waste of a draft pick to pick a QB this year. Let Fitz get a legit chance before calling him back up for life.

Mock Draft:

Given that the Bills single biggest need (no pun intended) is a big fat nose tackle (I think it's more than fair to say that Williams & Troup are clearly not the answer), why was that position totally ignored in your draft? Without that big fat NT, you can expect that the Bills defense, as has been the case for several seasons, will not stop the run.

Mock Draft:

And so the defense gets better, we win more games, finish with a better record and have ab so lootely NO chance at Luck. And the rest of those QBs are gambles AFAIC. I'm not saying don't draft for defense, I definitely think we should because it is THE gaping hole on the team. But just understand that if the Bills get better next season, they'l have no luck....so to speak. Ahem.