This is interesting...

buffalo_bills

Mike Mayock has Marcel Dareus ahead of Nick Fairley on his top 5 DT big board. Who would you rather have? Ive read a lot of mocks with Fairley going 1st overall, and Dareus being picked outside the top 5. Who would you rather have and why?

I would want Fairley over Dareus... Dareus is 2" shorter and has shorter arms. Having that big wing span is definitely a plus at the DT position. I think both players dominate their opponents, but I think at the next level Fairley is can't miss Pro Bowl caliber player and Dareus will be a very good player, but not neccessarily as dominant as Fairley.

I would want Fairley over Dareus... Dareus is 2" shorter and has shorter arms. Having that big wing span is definitely a plus at the DT position. I think both players dominate their opponents, but I think at the next level Fairley is can't miss Pro Bowl caliber player and Dareus will be a very good player, but not neccessarily as dominant as Fairley.

If I compared there expected careers I'd say fairley will draw more Warren sapp comparisons, Dareus more Richard Seymour....

Both fantastic.

Our defense needs Seymour more.

If I compared there expected careers I'd say fairley will draw more Warren sapp comparisons, Dareus more Richard Seymour....

Both fantastic.

Are you drunk? Fairley is a 6-5 320 who lead the SEC in sacks and TFL and is as agile as he hostile. He could play NT or DE in a 3-4 or either DT in a 4-3 and will be as or more dominant as Suh in ANY defensive scheme.

Dareus couldn't carry Fairely's jock.

Do people not realize that Fairley didn't even play football until his SENIOR year in HS....as an offensive lineman?

Yes, that's right. He's been playing DT for three season total and is going to go no. 1 overall in the NFL draft after dominating CFB.

Marcel Dareus? Pffft.

Are you drunk? Fairley is a 6-5 320 who lead the SEC in sacks and TFL and is as agile as he hostile. He could play NT or DE in a 3-4 or either DT in a 4-3 and will be as or more dominant as Suh in ANY defensive scheme.

Do people not realize that Fairley didn't even play football until his SENIOR year in HS....as an offensive lineman?

Yes, that's right. He's been playing DT for three season total and is going to go no. 1 overall in the NFL draft after dominating CFB.

Marcel Dareus? Pffft.

If we are looking at a pure 3-4 end, I think the guy that's played outside tech in a 34, in the sec is a good fit for us. In the long run I think fairley and Williams play the same position for us. If both there, I pick fairley as I think going bpa is important but if forced to take a guess I think that dareus will have a bigger net impact for our scheme over a decade.

Oh yea - and Marcell dominated a championship game too. A year before fairley did anything. And against a team that didn't game plan him to go unblocked repeatedly.

Edited by NoSaint

Who would I pick? If I'm the Bills it depends on whether or not Fairley can play DE in a 3-4, or if he's capable of playing NT in a 3-4 and holding up. If he can do those things, then I say he would definitely be the pick. If he doesn't project well in the 3-4 lineup, and we are intent on playing 3-4, then you go Dareus, as he seems very safe and destined to be a stalwart on the D-line for his career.

However, again, if Fairley can play versatile positions on the 3-4 D-line (and, I think he can play anywhere on the 3-4 line, and looks even more natural as a 4-3 DT), then he'd be a perfect fit for Buffalo's multi-scheme.

Right now I'm loving our position in this coming draft. If Newton is looking as good as the recent news would indicate, and Fairley is as good as the above poster mentioned (this good after only a few years of instruction), then I think it's almost certain we can get one of them. And, Quinn, Dareus, Peterson, Miller, or Green are very excellent consolations. If we mess up this pick it'll be someone's head.

Who would I pick? If I'm the Bills it depends on whether or not Fairley can play DE in a 3-4, or if he's capable of playing NT in a 3-4 and holding up. If he can do those things, then I say he would definitely be the pick. If he doesn't project well in the 3-4 lineup, and we are intent on playing 3-4, then you go Dareus, as he seems very safe and destined to be a stalwart on the D-line for his career.

However, again, if Fairley can play versatile positions on the 3-4 D-line (and, I think he can play anywhere on the 3-4 line, and looks even more natural as a 4-3 DT), then he'd be a perfect fit for Buffalo's multi-scheme.

Right now I'm loving our position in this coming draft. If Newton is looking as good as the recent news would indicate, and Fairley is as good as the above poster mentioned (this good after only a few years of instruction), then I think it's almost certain we can get one of them. And, Quinn, Dareus, Peterson, Miller, or Green are very excellent consolations. If we mess up this pick it'll be someone's head.

If I had to guess I think our board reads

1)fairley

2)dareus

3)Quinn

4)green

5)miller

And cam will either be on it at 1, or nowhere near it. If you have to debate whether he will have a bigger impact then a defensive lineman, or you have a defensive lineman ahead of him---- you've already answered your question- he's not your guy at 3. Even if that lineman is gone when you pick.

dareus has played all over a 34. fairley is projected as a DT43 guy. if your running strictly a 43 fairley is probably the better pick. but if your playing in a hybrid or 34 dareus might be the better pick.

Just get me a football player. dont care about anything else. Just want someone who can play football at a high level every play

The one player we have on defense is a pro bowler and on offense he makes the whole offense better

If Fairley is as good as everyone says, he'll be able to find a place to play be it 4-3 or 3-4 or 5-2 or 2-5 or 1-10. If he's there, you gotta take him if you're the Bills.

Truly the only thing that worries me is, like I said, I think he and KW play the same position. I think a good DC can scheme around it, and as always you go bpa cause you never know with free agency and injuries, and frankly how rarely you play your base defense textbookly. I think dareus on the other hand plays the outside tech naturally, kw does inside, with the olb on his side rushing.

Dareus might be the better textbook fit, but Bruce wasn't a textbook 34 end and that worked out pretty well.

Right now I say fairley #1 and dareus #2 but not as obviously as some people claim

Truly the only thing that worries me is, like I said, I think he and KW play the same position. I think a good DC can scheme around it, and as always you go bpa cause you never know with free agency and injuries, and frankly how rarely you play your base defense textbookly. I think dareus on the other hand plays the outside tech naturally, kw does inside, with the olb on his side rushing.

Dareus might be the better textbook fit, but Bruce wasn't a textbook 34 end and that worked out pretty well.

Right now I say fairley #1 and dareus #2 but not as obviously as some people claim

+1

A good football player is a good football player period. A good DC will scheme around it.

Wade Phillips did exactly that in the late 90's when he went to a more hybrid defense going from 3/4 to 4/3 within a week with the same personnel.

Get the best player, the scheme is secondary and overated but not to be ignored. The reason why great players are drafted late is because they become labelled by scheme and coaches tend to overlook the fact that they are great players.

Edited by VADC Bills

Mayock is the best but does make obvious mistake, IE McCoy over Suh and Thomas over Berry last year.

But Mayco said that he just didnt think Suh would be able to manhandle people in the NFL like he did in college, and that he thought McCoys quickness was what set him apart. My guess is he feels the same exact way with these two. Fairley is better than Dareus, but not as good as Suh, while Dareus is better than McCoy, but not better than Suh.

Both of these guys would be great 5 techs in the 3-4. Fairley is not a 4-3 only tackle like so many want to belive. He is better suited for 5 tech IMO. Like Seymour. (that poster above had it backwards, Dareus is more Sapp like. not sure if he is misinformed or just a typo)

Dareus May have shorter arms then Fairley but he is not short armed

Technique: An experienced five-technique, Dareus is the top 3-4 defensive end in the draft because of his long arms and technique. He consistently extends his arms to hold the edge. Stays low like a veteran to get leverage. Dareus' technique is NFL ready and why he could be a good contributor early in his career.

Both fantastic.

I'm no expert and I haven't studied these players very closely but my impression is that your analogy is possibly backwards.

Neither player reminds me of Richard Seymour. Fairley appears to be the taller, longer player and actually reminds me very much of Albert Haynesworth.

In the very few video examples that exist of Marcel Dareus he looks to me like a more thickly built, lower-center of gravity player with great initial quickness and leverage…in fact, it was Dareus who immediately reminded me of Warren Sapp (who played undertackle in the Tampa 2 defense but played defensive end while with the Raiders). If Dareus is a Sapp clone, that would be a very good thing. Sapp had over 100 career sacks playing mostly as an interior lineman and would have probably had a great career playing as a defensive end in either scheme.

I think both players have good scheme flexibility and in my mind, they are very close. JMO.

I'm no expert and I haven't studied these players very closely but my impression is that your analogy is possibly backwards.

Neither player reminds me of Richard Seymour. Fairley appears to be the taller, longer player and actually reminds me very much of Albert Haynesworth.

In the very few video examples that exist of Marcel Dareus he looks to me like a more thickly built, lower-center of gravity player with great initial quickness and leverage…in fact, it was Dareus who immediately reminded me of Warren Sapp (who played undertackle in the Tampa 2 defense but played defensive end while with the Raiders). If Dareus is a Sapp clone, that would be a very good thing. Sapp had over 100 career sacks playing mostly as an interior lineman and would have probably had a great career playing as a defensive end in either scheme.

I think both players have good scheme flexibility and in my mind, they are very close. JMO.

I was saying style and impact, not body type.

I think fairley is very much a penetrating player ala sapp. I think he fits the 4-3 under tackle. To me that puts him in the Kyle Williams role for us.

I think Seymour in the sense that dareus is flexible consistent and low risk but probably not a hall of fame player. I think he sits at the 5 tech, does the dirty work, makes some plays here and there,and can play a lot of d line positions.

I wasnt going off arm length and height and weight, but impact and fit to scheme, kind of how I see their careers playing out in an idealistic fashion... If that makes sense. I don't see fairley being a clogger or setting edges, I don't see dareus on highlight reels every week. Sapp, penetrates, highlight plays. Seymour, consistent, high level, does more dirty work.

Edited by NoSaint

Marcel Dareus? Pffft.

There is absolutely no way Fairley would be a NT in the NFL. If Fairley is as dominant as you claim, where was his amazing production last season?

Mike Mayock has Marcel Dareus ahead of Nick Fairley on his top 5 DT big board. Who would you rather have? Ive read a lot of mocks with Fairley going 1st overall, and Dareus being picked outside the top 5. Who would you rather have and why?

Good to see Mayock has come around, Dareus is a 34 end which blows my mind why the experts think he is a way better DT than DE. Anyway Dareus goes all out and Fairly Doesn't.

One thing I'd like to add to this thread is neither guy is capable 3-4 NT, end of story. IMO Fairley is a top 5 talent and Dareus a top 10. I like both guys but only Fairley at 3. The closest comparisons are Fairley/Seymore with higher upside and Dareus/Sapp, although a slightly lesser Sapp. Quinn is my extremly intriging pick.......very risky because of the year off but the potential to be the best defensive player in this draft. A definite roll the dice pick though......