This is interesting...

buffalo_bills

Are you drunk? Fairley is a 6-5 320 who lead the SEC in sacks and TFL and is as agile as he hostile. He could play NT or DE in a 3-4 or either DT in a 4-3 and will be as or more dominant as Suh in ANY defensive scheme.

Dareus couldn't carry Fairely's jock.

Do people not realize that Fairley didn't even play football until his SENIOR year in HS....as an offensive lineman?

Yes, that's right. He's been playing DT for three season total and is going to go no. 1 overall in the NFL draft after dominating CFB.

Marcel Dareus? Pffft.

Where did you get these measurements? Fairley isn't even listed at 300lbs, let alone 320.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player?id=27293&_slug_=nick-fairley&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%3fid%3d27293%26_slug_%3dnick-fairley

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

I was saying style and impact, not body type.

I think fairley is very much a penetrating player ala sapp. I think he fits the 4-3 under tackle. To me that puts him in the Kyle Williams role for us.

I think Seymour in the sense that dareus is flexible consistent and low risk but probably not a hall of fame player. I think he sits at the 5 tech, does the dirty work, makes some plays here and there,and can play a lot of d line positions.

I wasnt going off arm length and height and weight, but impact and fit to scheme, kind of how I see their careers playing out in an idealistic fashion... If that makes sense. I don't see fairley being a clogger or setting edges, I don't see dareus on highlight reels every week. Sapp, penetrates, highlight plays. Seymour, consistent, high level, does more dirty work.

I still think you are a bit confused. Fairly isnt a quick penetrator he is a mean bullrusher type. He will disrupt anywhere along the DL while Dareus gets upfield. That wouldnt put Fairley into the 3 tech per say, but KW has never been the 3 tech for us - he has been a nose guard since his rookie year.

You are saying he plays like KW (which I agree with) but then say that puts him at a position KW doesnt play, which is already filled by KW....?

I honestly think the best analagy is from last year:

Fairley = Suh

Dares = McCoy

I still think you are a bit confused. Fairly isnt a quick penetrator he is a mean bullrusher type. He will disrupt anywhere along the DL while Dareus gets upfield. That wouldnt put Fairley into the 3 tech per say, but KW has never been the 3 tech for us - he has been a nose guard since his rookie year.

You are saying he plays like KW (which I agree with) but then say that puts him at a position KW doesnt play, which is already filled by KW....?

I honestly think the best analagy is from last year:

Fairley = Suh

Dares = McCoy

If we had any semblance of a NT for our team last year, what position would KW have played? the 3 tech? yup.

If we draft fairley, what position would he play? 3 tech? yup.

Does it bother me that they would have the same "ideal position" and one of them would be playing out of position? yup.

if you read many scouting reports, or pretty much any SEC boards take, or even several posters on this board, or the official buffalobills.com board --- do they compare fairley to sapp? yup. pretty consistently.

where does that comparison come from? sapp got to the qb A LOT. what does fairley do? get to the QB A LOT.

What does dareus do? 5 tech work. sets the edge. controls his end of the line. hes a prototype at 5 tech. what is richard seymour? a prototype 5 tech. do either get a ton of sacks? no, but they can get there when they need to. will they be HOF players? probably not. Do i think dareus will go to a lot of probowls, much like seymour, without accumulating sacks? yup.

i get that they might not be the same height or weight, they might not use the same moves, but i think for your average nfl fan -- the comparison works better this way.

Nick Fairley is 7 feet tall, 400 lbs, and has speed. let me tell you about his speed.

i think truly hes going to be a good player, but i worry he wont be able to get to the qb from the inside like people think. there werent great center guard combos in the SEC this year, and he was schemed to be the free man in the championship game. I think he will be good, but he worries me a little bit more as a boom or bust guy. we will see though. if he can get 10 sacks a year from the DT position itll help some team immensely.

Mike Mayock has Marcel Dareus ahead of Nick Fairley on his top 5 DT big board. Who would you rather have? Ive read a lot of mocks with Fairley going 1st overall, and Dareus being picked outside the top 5. Who would you rather have and why?

we would be fortunate to have either.....

32nd against the run....nuff said.