National Anthem

Toledo Bill

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides screwing up the words, can the NFL please... PLEASE get someone that sings it in the manner in which it is supposed to be sung. I know I am possibly being old fashioned, but come on! You get a guy like the one that sang the anthem at the two Chicago playoff games... now that will be patriotic!!!!!!

What's more American than pretending to care about something larger than yourself, but actually making it all about you?

What's more American than pretending to care about something larger than yourself, but actually making it all about you?

lol how true. I prefer those who sing it rather than perform it. The guy who's a regular at Sabres games is pretty good.

It is not old fashioned brother. You expect the song to be treated with respect. What I find interesting is that I would expect a true artist to deliver a vocal performance that is in line with the meaning of the lyrics. No such luck.

My favorite anthem redition was listening to Roger (can't recal lthe last name Do'Chet maybe??) sing Oh Canada from up in the Forum in the late 70's early 80's. He'd do one verse in French too I recall. Actually from a pure song perspective I enjoy hearing Oh Canada better than the US Anthem.

The best part was her quote when they announced that she would be singing it "I have been singing the Anthem since I was seven years old."

lol how true. I prefer those who sing it rather than perform it. The guy who's a regular at Sabres games is pretty good.

I saw the guy who played Uncle Junior in The Sopranos do it at Fenway Park once and he was great. Random people like that are always better than these huge pop stars.

This will always be the standard for me

youtube.com/watch?v=YHmdu_I_0zI

I thought there was a rumor that Whitney lip-synched it.

Christina Aguilera's performance last night was horrific. Just sing the song, don't make it your own "special" version, and - for the love of God - DON'T FORGET THE LYRICS!!!!!

Doug is a good friend of mine ... I know many who love when he does it -- it's always about the country, not Doug (though he still does some things that identify his style, it's not about him).

Better yet, take the song out of all sporting events.

Of course. Because identifying ourselves as Americans is such a terrible thing. I am an American living in Canada and believe me, people up here are amazed by our love of our country. And as someone who spent 23 years in the military, I am proud to hear the national anthem, anytime, anwhere.

Of course. Because identifying ourselves as Americans is such a terrible thing. I am an American living in Canada and believe me, people up here are amazed by our love of our country. And as someone who spent 23 years in the military, I am proud to hear the national anthem, anytime, anwhere.

I've just never understood the connection between a game and the national anthem. It's understandable for the Olympics or World Cup, where multiple nations are competing. An eighth-grade basketball game between rival small-town schools? Not sure. The pledge, at most, will do just fine.

This will always be the standard for me

youtube.com/watch?v=YHmdu_I_0zI

I think that it has been reported that WH lipsynched the anthem.

As for Christina, she was on one of the chat shows a few weeks ago and said that she sang the anthem at Penguins games when she was a kid. I bet she did a better job back then.

Edited by Peter