Could a Lockout be Good for Us Fans??

BuffaloATL

Like every other fan, I want the current issues resolved and for there to be football this coming season. But, it's worth mentioning that given the gap between us and the Jets/Cheatriots, a lockout could bring about the use of scabs (ala the lockout in the 1980's) and the potential for us to immediately close that gap for a short period of time (not saying it would definitely happen because who knows which scab players we would get. But there's a chance).

Imagine our scabs going 4-0 and the others AFC squads not doing as well. The lockout ends and we have a two or three game lead. For the first time in a long while, we'd have an interesting season? I almost want to roll the dice with a lockout and see what happens!

In the long run, yes, we need our current players to get out there, play, and gain experience. Just saying, a lockout could make things interesting.

I can think of one scenario where it would be good for Bills fans. If they wind up losing a season, the league is going to have to have some sort of weighted lottery to determine the draft order in 2012. If it's structured anywhere similar to the way the NHL structured theirs, the Bills are going to have a very good shot at landing that 1st overall pick.

There will be no 'relplacement games' this time around.

Here's a reminder of the '87 roster:

NT/T Ira Albright

DB John Armstrong

TE Veno Belk

DB Gerald Bess

C Joe Bock

DE Jack Bravyak

WR Marc Brown

T Tony Brown

WR Reggie Bynum

DB Bill Callahan

DE Arnold Campbell

RB Joe Chetti

DB Steve Clark

LB Will Cokeley

G/T Sean Dowling

G/T Mike Estep

DB Larry Friday

WR Sheldon Gaines

NT/DE Scott Garnett

WR Kris Haines

LB Mike Jones

RB Bruce King

G Kevin Lamar

LB Bob LeBlanc

DB John Lewis

RB Warren Loving

LB Steve Maidlow

QB Dan Manucci

DB David Martin

QB Brian McClure

WR Thad McFadden

NT Joe McGrail

QB Mark Miller

DB Chip Nuzzo

RB Mike Panepinto

DB Kerry Parker

P Rick Partridge

C Erik Rosenmeier

LB Scott Schankweiler

K Todd Schlopy

G/T Rick Schulte

RB Johnny Shepherd

C Mark Shupe

T Joe Silipo

T Don Sommer

DE/NT Richard Tharpe

QB Willie Totten

LB Craig Walls

LB Scott Watters

LB Al Wenglikowski

TE/RB Gary Wilkins

RB Leonard Williams

DE Billy Witt

Apologies if I missed anyone or mischaracterized anyone.

I for one liked the scab games. The 6-3 gints game at Rich was a classic, no more than 10,000 there i would think, beer and potty lines non existant. Left a bar in South Buffalo at 3.30, in the seats at 4. Back at the bar 20 minutes after games was finished :thumbsup:

Our scabs went 4-0 in '07 and still finished 7-9. How "interesting" was that?

Why do people like you post outright lies & think you can get away with it?

1st of all, there was no strike in "'07", the 2007 team was 7-9 all by themselves.

Giving you all benefit of the doubt, let's assume you typo'd and meant 1987, the year that there was a strike team.

In 1987 the strike team went 1-2, the real team went 6-6 for a final record of 7-8.

Where did you come up with 4-0 when only 3 games were played during the strike and the fake Bills lost 2 of them?

1st of all, there was no strike in "'07", the 2007 team was 7-9 all by themselves.

Giving you all benefit of the doubt, let's assume you typo'd and meant 1987, the year that there was a strike team.

In 1987 the strike team went 1-2, the real team went 6-6 for a final record of 7-8.

Where did you come up with 4-0 when only 3 games were played during the strike and the fake Bills lost 2 of them?

I think it was sarcasm genius

Actually I think the OP was referring to the 2008 season where under the leadership of Trent Edwards (comparisons to Joe Montana and Jim Kelly ran amuck) started out 4-0 and got to a high water mark of 5-1 before we lost 8 out of the last 10.

Wow...I don't want to get into a "you play to win the game" rant, but are you !@#$ing serious? You sure as !@#$ don't play the game for draft position.

Scab football ain't real football. I want the real deal. I also think we have a decent shot at Andrew Luck next year and don't want scabs screwing that up.

Just saying, going like 1-3 to start each season and being out of it by October is getting old. This could spice things up a bit. If the scabs somehow got us a couple game lead, all of a sudden you're thinking "wow, if we can win game x and game y after the non-scab players come back, we might have a shot to win the division!"

It's a sad reflection of where I'm at as a fan, but it's the truth. IMO, the best shot we have to win the division in 2011 is if there's a lockout.

I also think we have a decent shot at Andrew Luck next year and don't want scabs screwing that up.

Now, I can get on board with this one!! Although I don't think we'll be bad enough for the overall #1, and I don't like to go into seasons playing for draft positioning, I think he's a special case and I do agree this is worth considering as a "con" to my scab/division record post.

Edited by BuffaloATL

Also, I don't think there's any particular reason why we'd do better than average in recruiting scabs. I guess we do well with UDFAs, but I think open tryouts aren't going to yield a dominant Bills team any more than the NFL draft has.

Not saying we would be better, but the chances of having a more level playing field with the better teams in our division increases if everyone is trying to throw together a scab roster vs how the current teams are constructed.