For Sabre fans: Pegula to purchase Sabres

richNjoisy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this is GREAT news for Sabres fans.

Not to get too far ahead of everything, but I am really hoping this turns into GREAT news for BILLS fans someday.......guy has a lot of money and he could play a HUGE role in keeping the Bills here long term!

For now, though, just glad he is taking over the Sabres. Great news for Buffalo.

Definitely great news for Sabres fans! Many have said that Pegula wants to win Stanley Cups (plural), Buffalo and it's fans across the country definitely deserve that, especially after 4 Superbowl losses, No Goal, The Forward Lateral and 11 years and counting of the Bills missing the playoffs.

I don't think that 3 billion is that liquid.

When you've got three billion dollars in anything, it's remarkable who you can find to loan you $800,000,000 to buy a football team.

That's more like it.

He doesn't need all $3B to be liquid. Or even $800M. He needs about half the selling price of the team, plus a bunch of other investors to make up the difference, like family who have made fortunes off of him. Not dissimilar to what Dan Snyder did.

Edited by Doc

He doesn't need all $3B to be liquid. Or even $800M. He needs about half the selling price of the team, plus a bunch of other investors to make up the difference, like family who have made fortunes off of him. Not dissimilar to what Dan Snyder did.

The official amount required by the NFL, IIRC, is only 30% majority ownership. But that's unlikely he would do such a thing. If he wanted the Bills, he could and probably would just buy them outright. I'm sure he could find a bunch of minority owners if he wanted, however.

The official amount required by the NFL, IIRC, is only 30% majority ownership. But that's unlikely he would do such a thing. If he wanted the Bills, he could and probably would just buy them outright. I'm sure he could find a bunch of minority owners if he wanted, however.

I figured he'd want to own at least half the team, that way no one (or ones) could sell their portion to someone who could get a majority. I suppose he could want to own them outright, but I don't know anything about him.

Does anyone even know if he likes football? Just googled his name, looked through about 5 of the results - lots on hockey and energy, didn't even see the word football mentioned.

From what I have read he does like football as well. I think he was a Bills season ticket holder, too, when he lived in Orchard Park. This article cites his interest in the Bills, as well as a friend of his that allegedly said he wouldn't rule out owning the Bills, too.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article271298.ece

From what I have read he does like football as well. I think he was a Bills season ticket holder, too, when he lived in Orchard Park. This article cites his interest in the Bills, as well as a friend of his that allegedly said he wouldn't rule out owning the Bills, too.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article271298.ece

I know this is more hypothetical talk (about buying the Bills) but is it possible for a guy to own both an NHL and an NFL team?

I'm a Pens fan (flame away...didn't start watching hockey till I moved from Buffalo to Pittsburgh) but it's great to see that the Sabers will be staying in Buffalo for a long time. The City deserves it. Now lets keep the Bills here long term and win a Super Bowl!! Steeler fans always say they are the greatest, but Buffalo Bills fans are the best. No championships in forever, and the stadium still sells out regularly, sites like this exist, and people live and die for the team. Go Bills!