Gailey's Quote On Running QB's

KOKBILLS

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ' spread ' has been the predominant offensive scheme of the NFL's more successful teams for some time now - I'd say Bills are already about 2 years behind the curve, but good to know that Chan realizes that irrefutable truth.

I'm still puzzled as to why the Bills didn't sign one of the most effective QBs ever at operating out of ' the spread ' ...

I have a serious question. Recall the three OT losses. In each game we had chances to win in regulation and in OT. In each game our offense stalled numerous times on or about the opponents 40 yard line. It looked to me like we were running a spread. I recall being frustrated when we had no RB in the backfield and all those recievers spread out on the line, basically telling the defense what we were doing.

It looked to me that the Bills are already running the spread, or a form of it, this year with Fitz? Not all of the time but sometimes. In fact, it looks like most teams do this from time to time.

It also looks like Fitz runs well enough. He was second on the team in rushing (which is s sad stat considering we started the season with Lynch, Jackson and Spiller).

It would certainly be "refreshing" for me to see Nix draft the best QB on his board and #3. I've been calling for the Bills GM to take a QB with their first overall pick of the draft every single year (accept 2003-2004), since......1997! Why not 2003-2004 you may ask? Because I was actually impressed that Donahoe had made that big trade for Drew Bledsoe in 2002, who I felt still had at least 5 good years left in him. In a very strange twist of Bills drafting "lore", Donahoe traded back into the 1st round and made J.P. Lost-man a first round pick in 2004, and I like everyone else thought he was nuts to do that when Bledsoe was already here and playing pretty good at that time.

But take away those 3 Bledsoe seasons, and beginnning right away again in 2005, even though the Bills had no 1st round pick, I still hoped they chose a QB with their first pick in the 2nd round.

Sorry, but the Buffalo Bills have only been truly great during the years they had great quarterbacking. Jack Kemp was great in the mid 60's, Joe Ferguson was great at times but at least good most of the time. And Jim Kelly is a Hall of Famer. You have to have the franchise type QB to win championships - at least 90% of the time, anyway. Sure you get your Doug Williams, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson SB winning QB's from time to time, when those teams have amazing defenses and offensive lines. Again, more Buffalo sports luck that although the Bills had Jim Kelly playing in the K-Gun offense those 4 consecutive SB's, he went up against Rypien and Hostetler's great teams, and then the last two he simply lost to an even greater team in the Cowboys, who had their own Hall of Fame type franchise QB in Aikman.

So I am still waiting these 14 years after Kelly has retired, for the next franchise QB to be drafted or at least traded for. Could this April end the wait?? :thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think what needs to be differentiated here is a running qb vs. a mobile qb. A running qb is an injury waiting to happen and just isn't feasable long term in today's NFL. Cam Newton is massive and he got banged up in the BCS championship game.

You don't need a qb to be a track start to run the spread. You need a qb that is able to move and avoid pressure. Running in today's NFL will get you killed. Even the almighty Tebow got injured trying to run this year.

I think what needs to be differentiated here is a running qb vs. a mobile qb. A running qb is an injury waiting to happen and just isn't feasable long term in today's NFL. Cam Newton is massive and he got banged up in the BCS championship game.

You don't need a qb to be a track start to run the spread. You need a qb that is able to move and avoid pressure. Running in today's NFL will get you killed. Even the almighty Tebow got injured trying to run this year.

Well put, Mike.

I thought it was VERY interesting that when asked about these Spread/Running QB's at the Sr Bowl Chan Gailey was quoted as basically saying "The question is whether or not you want to be ahead or behind the wave. Be cause the wave is coming."

Buddy Nix has been CRYSTAL clear that The Bills Scouting Department has an eye on the future...There is no question The Bills may be interested in taking a QB high assuming they feel a Prospect is worth the Pick...Gailey is considered one of the foremost Offensive minds in the NFL (at least by some he is)...I think a quote like that makes it pretty obvious that Gabbert AND Newton are both very much in play at #3 Overall...Or at the very least The Bills want it to look that way...But we'll see I guess...

I thought that was pretty interesting though... B-)

What was teh context of the question? Does Gailey think the college spread is the new wave in teh NFL? and he wants to be the first one using it? Hello VY???

I wouldn't be surprised with the Ponder pick, either. Gailey seemed enamored with him, and he ran the offense well enough. This is one of those years where there could end up being 3-4 quality NFL QB's coming out of this draft, and a few of them might very well be franchise QB's. Locker, Mallet, Newton, Kaepernick, Ponder, Gabbert and a few others that are getting good reviews - Dalton? - he sounded like he possessed many of the same qualities Brady had coming out of college. So, as I see it, the hard part is recognizing which of the bunch will ultimately have "it" - and, I think part of that equation is knowing with a certainty what type of scheme you'll be putting him in and expecting him to run. Obviously, most of these guys are better fit in one system over another.

I don't care if we draft a QB in Rd 1 or Rd 4, as long as it is the QB the coaches feel the strongest about - because, given our draft position this year, we should get first shot at the best QB.

As for the type of sytem Gailey will implement. I just hope we can run it when we want to run it, and we can pass it when we need to pass it. Gimmicky offenses - when I hear that I'm reminded of Mularky's pathetic play calling. I think there will always be popular fashions in the NFL, that will come and go to neutralize what the college is putting out, and what the NFL is trying to do to counter the best schemes - ala Tampa 2 for a while - it worked, and then was no good shortly after as teams built offenses that could run right through it. Anyway, a good team, with a very good O-line and D-line will be able to run it and, consequently, will be able to have success with a pocket QB. I'm still waiting to see a real Identity with this team, but I think it is forming and we'll begin to see consistency this year and next.

Kaepernick looks like the best seeior QB in this draft. The kid is tall, can run & has a cannon of an arm. I would still like to see the Bills get a DE with the #3 pick & then trade back up into the first round for Cam Newton. If that doesn't work we could then go after Kaepernick in a later round. I would rather go with Levi Brown than draft Ponder.

The front office WILL draft a QB in the top half of the draft I can foresee the pick being a "mobile" QB that can run a gimmick offense which will incorporate CJ Spiller. Chan has the type of vision to use this QB to offset the more traditional offense that he will run with Fitzpatrick.

This is a good way to get more out of the offense. We will need to offset the lack of talent/ or experience we will likely have on the right side of the offensive line.

Couldn't we offset the lack of talent on the right side of the offensive line by....drafting a talented offensive lineman?

Kaepernick looks like the best seeior QB in this draft. The kid is tall, can run & has a cannon of an arm. I would still like to see the Bills get a DE with the #3 pick & then trade back up into the first round for Cam Newton. If that doesn't work we could then go after Kaepernick in a later round. I would rather go with Levi Brown than draft Ponder.

Why?

I have a serious question. Recall the three OT losses. In each game we had chances to win in regulation and in OT. In each game our offense stalled numerous times on or about the opponents 40 yard line. It looked to me like we were running a spread. I recall being frustrated when we had no RB in the backfield and all those recievers spread out on the line, basically telling the defense what we were doing.

It looked to me that the Bills are already running the spread, or a form of it, this year with Fitz? Not all of the time but sometimes. In fact, it looks like most teams do this from time to time.

It also looks like Fitz runs well enough. He was second on the team in rushing (which is s sad stat considering we started the season with Lynch, Jackson and Spiller).

I have the same thoughts (and had the same frustration)

Fitz can run. It was one change that immediately made our offense initially better - opponents realized they had to account for him.

Is it possible that Chan is sending a smoke signal that he might want Cam at 3? and I do think someone might actually trade up with us.

I do not see anything that says a starting QB is available this year but i have not seen some of them just read a little actually.

But i would almost bet we get a Mobile QB to develop for our run at the super bowl in a couple years. After we get a defense on the field and sorted and a tweak or two at O line and TE. By then our Qb of the future will hop on the wave and ride it into bills glory.

Bet its Ponder anyone? But Kaepernick might be the guy i think.

The ' spread ' has been the predominant offensive scheme of the NFL's more successful teams for some time now - I'd say Bills are already about 2 years behind the curve, but good to know that Chan realizes that irrefutable truth.

I'm still puzzled as to why the Bills didn't sign one of the most effective QBs ever at operating out of ' the spread ' ...

Graham Harrell

...when they had multiple opportunities to do so. Now, as I also predicted 2 years ago, Harrell is about to be wearing a Superbowl ring.

Wouldn't be at all surprised now if the Bills grabbed Christian Ponder on day 2 of the draft, after seeing and working with him all week.

I was just about to start a new topic on how the Green Bay Packers would never be in this Super Bowl if they hadn't signed Graham Harrell. And how great a job he did against New England at the end of this season BACKING UP the back up. How did we ever miss the boat on this guy??? :wallbash:

Why do you question his brains? He led his team to a SEC and National Championship. If you are questioning his brains then why are you not questioning the brains of the other qbs in this draft who he outperformed? Your selectivity is questionable.

so did Jamracus Russell

any NFL QB needs to be able to have the mental acuity to process things in pocket

in college, QBs can get by on single reads and their athletic ability

This applies to all of the QBs coming out this year, and every year - just seems that the Bills always draft the QBs lacking gray matter

If they are looking toward the future then why take a QB at 3? take Kaepernick latter and draft the impact player Nix is talking about and getting bigger LBs which would be Robert Quinn or Von Miller, who is not Maybin.

Bc any QB you take at 3 will be better than kaepernick, and drafting a qb to develop is .........looking at the future.

As you note, contrary to the bogus company line, the Bills desparately wanted to trade up to get Tebow to run the spread offense - which is why they took Spiller as well.

Remains to be seen if Cam Newton has the brains,but he is a better athlete than Tebow and would be fun to watch a run and gun offense.

Why did the "run and shoot" die out in the NFL?

Why hasn't Mike Martz passing game (Ram's "Greatest Show on Turf" ) gained favor?

so did Jamracus Russell

any NFL QB needs to be able to have the mental acuity to process things in pocket

in college, QBs can get by on single reads and their athletic ability

This applies to all of the QBs coming out this year, and every year - just seems that the Bills always draft the QBs lacking gray matter

They trade #1 picks away for them too. :thumbdown:

I agree about taking that QB after Rd 1. It seems to me that you could consider 4 or 5 QB's in this draft, of the top seven QB's, to be running QB's, or QB's that can be dangerous as runners. Cam Newton is the first to come to most people's mind, but Locker is fast, and Kaepernick is very similar in size and speed as is Newton, and Gabbert and Dalton aren't slow. So, from my perspective it looks like this year's crop of QB's is perhaps a more mobile group than ever before, which means if we are targeting a "before the wave" kind of QB, it could be any of the five, not necessarily Newton.

I would prefer Locker or Kaepernick - especially Kaepernick, in the second.

rumor is though, after throwing great at senior bowl and having great workouts (not to mention 4 plus years of tape)...Kaepernick is playing himself into late first round....

Dont think anyone needs to. They'll be watching at home while 2 QBs that are terrific out of the pocket play in the Super Bowl

True, but I think it's important to differentiate between "running QBs" and "mobile" QBs. Rodgers and BR both are forced to scramble for their lives once on every series because their lines suck. I think they still both fit under the umbrella of pocket passer. As does Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, Schaub, Ryan, Flacco etc.

I'm not sure if I agree there's a trend where running QBs will be the norm. McNabb played his best ball when he learned to be a pocket passer. Vick was lauded this year not for his running, but for becoming a better passer with vision and a reluctance to take off after going through his first read.