NOW THIS......

RkFast

It was probably the best I have ever felt during a Bills game. Many Bills games over the years took years off my life. I am still suffering tremors from the Bill Simpson interception of Richard Todd against the Jets when I was a kid. But during the Kelly years, there were several contests that were over at halftime. You just can't beat the feeling of relaxation and contentment that comes with the Bills being up by 21 or 24 at half. And Marv Levy ALWAYS knew how to execute a methodical, boring second half where the clock kept ticking and the point spread was never in doubt. HEAVEN!!

Of course, what made this even better was the prolonged feeling of jubilation at knowing we were going to the Show! It was surreal that long suffering Bills fans could revel for over a full half of football when it meant going to the Super Bowl. The football gods were on our side that day.

Then, the very next week, I became an old man.

U knew it was gonna b something special when Kelly dropped the shotgun snap, had the ball bounce perfectly back into his hands, and then according to him in his book, he had to readjust his helmet because it went down over his eyes as he bent down to pick the ball up, and throw a perfect strike to James Lofton for a TD...

I was thinking about this the other day...which of the four AFC Championship games was the sweetest?

I guess it was the first one, because it was the first time the Bills went to the Super Bowl. Of course, I remember being elated, but selfishly, thinking, "oh great, the Bills finally make it to the Super Bowl, and now they are talking about canceling it, because of the war..."

But, then there was the second one, in 1991-92, when neither Buffalo or Denver could get their high-powered offenses going, and it took just one defensive play, Jeff Wright tipping an Elway pass to Carlton Bailey for a pick-6...and the defense having to hold off Gary Kubiak the rest of the game...that was intense...

and then, of course, there was going into the hated Dolphins yard, the next year, as a wild-card, and knocking them off...or was it #4, taking out the Chiefs? God, I miss the days of the Bills playing games well into January...

I want that feeling again. I was in the stadium at the '92 AFC Championship game against Denver. I will never forget the celebration at the end of that game. We had a great team, and we LOVED that team: Kelly, Thomas, Bruce, Reed, Tasker - I bet I could still name 90% of the starting team, and that was 20 years ago. Talk about pride. I was so proud of those guys, playing for us - for Buffalo, for Western New York and Southern Ontario. God, I wish they could give us back that feeling again.

Edited by Chas56

I was thinking about this the other day...which of the four AFC Championship games was the sweetest?

I guess it was the first one, because it was the first time the Bills went to the Super Bowl. Of course, I remember being elated, but selfishly, thinking, "oh great, the Bills finally make it to the Super Bowl, and now they are talking about canceling it, because of the war..."

But, then there was the second one, in 1991-92, when neither Buffalo or Denver could get their high-powered offenses going, and it took just one defensive play, Jeff Wright tipping an Elway pass to Carlton Bailey for a pick-6...and the defense having to hold off Gary Kubiak the rest of the game...that was intense...

and then, of course, there was going into the hated Dolphins yard, the next year, as a wild-card, and knocking them off...or was it #4, taking out the Chiefs? God, I miss the days of the Bills playing games well into January...

What's really understated about the Bills Super Bowl run is that to get there, they went through Marino, Montana, and Elway for three of the four AFCC games. And the fourth, they won 51-3 after having knocked off the Dolphins a week earlier. You could have made a case in 1993 that Marino, Montana, and Elway were the three best QBs in NFL history. And they all were matched and defeated in Orchard Park.

Oh my god, that was 20 years ago.

Ya - doesn't it make you feel old? :cry:

My kids were babies then and now thy are out of the house!

I was at that game and remember the totally surreal feeling at halftime when it was all-but assured the Bills were in the Super Bowl. It was unreal. Man I miss those days.

Yup: 41-3 was a pretty safe half-time lead (unless you were playing the Bills!) :nana:

I was watching that game (on TV) with a friend who got up and left in the middle of the third quarter and said "I feel sorry for the Raiders. They have to sit through the rest of this game."

Kind of interesting to see, too, how many of the balls thrown over the middle to Thomas or Reed just look like marshmallows floating through the air. By today's standards, we'd be talking about how Kelly has no "zip" on the ball, and can't move in the pocket, and that we need to address the QB position in the draft... :wacko:

...is how a Conference Championship is played.

youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

OMG Lofton and Talley and I had forgotten Jeff Wright with his bare arms always

Those were the days my friend

We thought they'd never end

Yeah, awfully hard for a small-market team to put together something like that again. I did enjoy it, though.

Huh, and what's the respective population of Green Bay and B'lo?

I was watching that game (on TV) with a friend who got up and left in the middle of the third quarter and said "I feel sorry for the Raiders. They have to sit through the rest of this game."

Kind of interesting to see, too, how many of the balls thrown over the middle to Thomas or Reed just look like marshmallows floating through the air. By today's standards, we'd be talking about how Kelly has no "zip" on the ball, and can't move in the pocket, and that we need to address the QB position in the draft... :wacko:

Well then there were those bombs to Lofton and Tasker - just things of beauty.

Truth: Kelly's stats weren't that great, even for a QB of his era. He was a gunslinger, forced it, and threw a lot of INTs - only 3 years <3%, 3.6-4.1% during the SB years.

The diff was most years, our D was good at picks and causing fumbles, so we'd get it right back.

Thomas and Reed helped his completion % with amazing catches - leaping one-handed grabs, hung on while getting pancaked so hard you could hear it on TV.

I'm sure these days we'd be calling for the head of a QB with similar tendencies ;), especially if he had a couple of fumble-handed targets