Toronto Mayor Wants an NFL Team

“How can we bring tourism to Toronto? How can we create jobs? Great fit would be an NFL team,” Ford told CBC News.

A major sticking point would be a stadium: Ford acknowledged that the Rogers Centre, where the Bills play one regular-season game a year, wouldn’t suit an NFL team for eight regular-season games a year. And he said the taxpayers wouldn’t build the NFL a new stadium.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/22/toronto-mayor-wants-an-nfl-team/

Toronto Sun sports columnist Steve Simmons is not so sure. He said the NFL's moves are more about advertising and television contracts than about city size.

"I just don't see it happening," said Simmons. "They can't sell their ads that they sell on U.S. television here. They can't market that way here."

Ford said a new team would require bigger stadium than the Rogers Centre, which can seat 50,000. But he said no local taxpayer money would be spent on a potential new stadium.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2011/01/21/toronto-ford-nfl-121.html#ixzz1BnRHk5cz

It's nice to want something, but until they build a new stadium an NFL team is a pipe dream.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

He would also like to have some more controlled substances, though only for personal use of course.

So the federal government is just going to hand over the stadium building site in Downsview for nothing and the franchise owner, who will have just paid $1Bn for the team is going to shell out hundreds of millions more to finance the 75,000 seat facility. Hello! Ted Rogers is dead and the best deal he was able to cut was to give Ralph Wilson 78MM for exactly squat.

Mayor Ford also stipulated that as a condition to all of this the NFL would have to promise Toronto a Superbowl within four years. I can just picture this clown trying to negotiate with NFL owners. Jerry Jones and Al Davis would have him for lunch. He wouldn't even make Ralph's dessert menu.

Unless it's the Bill's there would be a large amount of money owed to Buffalo for territorial rights. Seems the NFL is a ways away from fileding teams in other countries, too many issues, do the players get paid in American $$, TV coverage and rights, How would they avoid forfeits when teams don't have enough players to suit up as half their team was stopped at the boarder due to the "No Felons" rule.

The Hamilton Tiger Cats want a new 30,000 seat stadium. I think if you can build a 30K facility it's not that big a jump to 70K. That is a project I would watch closely. It could become a threat out of left field.

PTR

I agree - it is a concern... and although Hamilton is easier for American fans I think Toronto wants the stadium within city limits not 40 miles away.

Edited by buffalobillsfootball

The Hamilton Tiger Cats want a new 30,000 seat stadium. I think if you can build a 30K facility it's not that big a jump to 70K. That is a project I would watch closely. It could become a threat out of left field.

PTR

The proposed Hamilton stadium is tagged at $115 million. A 70K-seat NFL-quality open-air stadium would cost at least $500 million, and probably much more.

That's a big jump.

first of all the Bills and the NFL consider Toronto (and Hamilton)to be in the territorial rights of the bills. another franchise could NOT be located there without the bills permission AND significant financial consideration. Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America and it is the bills. the bills have smartly started to cultivate and grow their business model in southern ontario. i know this is painful for many a bills fan, but the bills survival in buffalo, ABSOLUTELY DEPENDS on toronto. when the nfl expands to an 18 game schedule, look for the next agreement with rogers communication to include 2 home games per year. for all you "all or nothing" fans, take heed in the old adage.....be careful what you wish for.

The proposed Hamilton stadium is tagged at $115 million. A 70K-seat NFL-quality open-air stadium would cost at least $500 million, and probably much more.

That's a big jump.

Absolutely it's a big jump. But what if someone wants to put am NFL team in Ontario, and this 30K project is on the drawing board? They have the land, the infrastructure, approvals, etc. How hard would it be to bump it up to 70K, besides the money? If someone is buying an NFL team a couple hundred mil extra is no deterrent.

Not saying this is happening. Just that it's easier/cheaper to build a stadium in Hamilton than the GTA.

PTR