Al Davis

major

I saw a picture of Al Davis from the press conference he had this past week and boy did he look bad. Similar to our Bills, what happens to the Raiders when he dies? Is his family taking over? The Bills and Raiders both are twins in so many ways.

Yes we are twins in many ways and I think they end up staying put. I have no real reason to say that. I know that Al moving on will INCREASE the stability of that franchise both in terms of personnel employed and city of residence. I mean they have good tradition and sell out everything so...unless a buyer doesn't like the stadium it's hard to see why he would move the team...given the extreme relocation fees that go along w/ that.

Edited by dayman

I saw a picture of Al Davis from the press conference he had this past week and boy did he look bad. Similar to our Bills, what happens to the Raiders when he dies? Is his family taking over? The Bills and Raiders both are twins in so many ways.

It was like watching an old episode of Thunder Cats...Mum-ra anyone? If you get that joke...consider yourself awesome.

Tom Gollisano buys them and moves the Raiders to Niagara Falls.

It's a good question. I just heard Jim Rome ask Roger Goodell about a stadium in L.A. - and the impression he left with me was that it is an eventuality. So, either they add a few more teams - I know the NFL would like there to be an NFL team in Europe, Mexico, and perhaps Canada - or, they move some of the existing teams. Hmmm.... which teams seem likely to be moved? I hate not knowing what is going to happen to the Bills after Wilson passes.

Davis gets a lot of crap on this board but he is an amazing man in a lot of ways.

He started in the AFL as an assistant coach of the Chargers under the great Sid Gillman.

At 33 he bacame the youngest HC ever when he went to Oakland in 1962. He also became their GM. No one, to my knowledge, has held both positions since Davis did it. He built the Raiders into a powerhouse on the field and a marketing machine off of it. He then became the owner (majority owner in a partnership).

He was also commissioner of the entire AFL for a time and in that role he went to war with the NFL over free agency (started when the Giants signed Pete Gogalak from the Bills). He lead the AFL in the signing of several high profile NFL players (Mike Ditka, Roman Gabriel, and others) and he brought the NFL (lead by Pete Rozelle) to their knees and straight to the negotiation table. That is when the two leagues agreed on a merger plan and that decision actually pissed Al Davisoff. He really preferred to battle them and destroy them.

Years later he moved the Raiders to LA and won another Super Bowl. Pete Rozelle had to hand his old nemisis the Lombardi trophy.

Davis made be past his prime, and he does some stupid things today, but you guys should know there is good reason why he is the HoF. One of the great characters from the AFL that helped make the NFL what it is today.

Ralph at 92 looks MUCH better than Al Davis at 81. I hate to speculate on death, but Al looks to me like he might be close.

OMG Davis is really 81? I agree Wilson looks 100x better, but you got to wonder how much longer he's going to hold up.

Davis gets a lot of crap on this board but he is an amazing man in a lot of ways.

He started in the AFL as an assistant coach of the Chargers under the great Sid Gillman.

At 33 he bacame the youngest HC ever when he went to Oakland in 1962. He also became their GM. No one, to my knowledge, has held both positions since Davis did it. He built the Raiders into a powerhouse on the field and a marketing machine off of it. He then became the owner (majority owner in a partnership).

He was also commissioner of the entire AFL for a time and in that role he went to war with the NFL over free agency (started when the Giants signed Pete Gogalak from the Bills). He lead the AFL in the signing of several high profile NFL players (Mike Ditka, Roman Gabriel, and others) and he brought the NFL (lead by Pete Rozelle) to their knees and straight to the negotiation table. That is when the two leagues agreed on a merger plan and that decision actually pissed Al Davisoff. He really preferred to battle them and destroy them.

Years later he moved the Raiders to LA and won another Super Bowl. Pete Rozelle had to hand his old nemisis the Lombardi trophy.

Davis made be past his prime, and he does some stupid things today, but you guys should know there is good reason why he is the HoF. One of the great characters from the AFL that helped make the NFL what it is today.

Don't forget that if Ralph hadn't bailed out Al's ass and floated him some cash, Davis would've been just a footnote in AFL history.

Don't forget that if Ralph hadn't bailed out Al's ass and floated him some cash, Davis would've been just a footnote in AFL history.

True that Ralph bailed out Oakland. Not sure what year or who the owner was when that happened. if Oakland folded back trhen Davis may have been hired by someone, maybe even

Ralphy also bailed out the Sullivan Family --- original owners of the Pats*.

True that Ralph bailed out Oakland. Not sure what year or who the owner was when that happened. if Oakland folded back trhen Davis may have been hired by someone, maybe even

Ralphy also bailed out the Sullivan Family --- original owners of the Pats*.

Too Bad Ralph bailed out the Sullivans just think how good things would be without the Patriots

Like this ?

post-10262-003963100 1295837024_thumb.jpg