Marvin Austin DT

Jsi922

when talking about the need for DT's

Marvin Austin was actually rated the top DT on the Big Board last year and was at a point #1 on the big board. He got suspended for the season for accepting money. He didnt do drugs or take plays off. He didnt get worse or not perform. He wasn't injured.

Now he is allowed to play in the East-West Shrine Game and apparently he is destroying everyone in practice. Marvin Austin has already shown that he can be a dominant force in college football. he is less of a project than dareus and was already dubbed a high draft pick before being suspended.

i would really look at austin. who care if a kid takes money. there is a moral issue behind that. NCAA makes enough money of these kids. but lets not discuss that. alot of bills fans are fine with newton and he has more character issues than austin(talking about the theft of laptops)

Accepting Money and having an agent is not a problem in the NFL since its legal.

Edited by Jsi922

when talking about the need for DT's

Marvin Austin was actually rated the top DT on the Big Board last year and was at a point #1 on the big board. He got suspended for the season for accepting money. He didnt do drugs or take plays off. He didnt get worse or not perform. He wasn't injured.

Now he is allowed to play in the East-West Shrine Game and apparently he is destroying everyone in practice. Marvin Austin has already shown that he can be a dominant force in college football. he is less of a project than dareus and was already dubbed a high draft pick before being suspended.

i would really look at austin. who care if a kid takes money. there is a moral issue behind that. NCAA makes enough money of these kids. but lets not discuss that. alot of bills fans are fine with newton and he has more character issues than austin(talking about the theft of laptops)

I'm cool with it. He would be classified as a value/need pick because his stock is likely to tumble a bit due to these concerns.

Where is he from? I do not know much about him.

UNC. Including Quinn, Sturdivant, and Carter, there's a lot to like there.

North Carolina DT Marvin Austin has reportedly been "unstoppable" during early-week practices at the East-West Shrine game.

It was key for Austin to show up in shape after missing his entire senior season for NCAA rules violations. According to SI's Tony Pauline, the 6'2/312-pound prospect is "tearing it up" while showing "a lot of power, quickness, and explosion." Austin was considered a first-round talent heading into the 2010 season. He could be vaulting himself back into the early-round mix. Jan. 18 - 2:41 pm et

I have been following this kids path since last year/his suspension. I think he could be a killer DLman in the NFL. He may not be the best fit in a 3-4 but we still don’t know what D we will be running and he could be a great penetrator in a Wade Phillips styles 34. Could be a great 3 or 5 tech in a 43 I think too.

Our 2nd round pick should be high enough to land this guy. Unless there is a stud LB or RT that falls (like Martez Wilson or Carimi) he should be the pick, but I bet the Bills out think themselves with this one.

Here's a report...

http://www.gbnreport.com/shrinereport.html

"No player is getting more scrutiny in Orlando that North Carolina DT Marvin Austin. For the most part, Austin, who hasn't played a down  in anger in over a year after being suspended this fall for receiving improper benefits, was OK overall, but my notes indicated that he did a lot better in drills, when he knew where the ball was going, than he was in the scrimmage. But Austin held up well enough on the interior for a guy who hasn't  played in pads at all for five months."

We have a probowl DT in Kyle Williams and we have Troup who was a 2nd rounder last year. If we take another DT this year in the top few rounds I will not be happy.

We need QB, LB, DE, OT

I bet Giants fans were unhappy when they kept bringing DL after DL (DE or DT). I would have zero complains if we keep adding talent to the front 7.

I bet Giants fans were unhappy when they kept bringing DL after DL (DE or DT). I would have zero complains if we keep adding talent to the front 7.

The Giants already had good players at other positions and had the luxury of drafting for depth.

They also drafted Eli Manning when they had a top 5 pick, I would be happy to follow their lead. Take a QB at #3 and then load up on DL

I'm a Carolina fan, and Marvin Austin underwhelmed during his time at UNC despite being a hugely hyped HS recruit. When he was suspended, the prevailing thought among fans was "good." It's not that he's a bad player -- he just wasn't the difference maker everyone expected him to be.

You don't touch Austin at #3. You might draft him in the 3rd.

If you're looking at Carolina players to draft, you look at DL Robert Quinn (who IS worthy of a high 1st round pick IMO), and LB Bruce Carter -- who should also go no later than the 2nd.

I have been following this kids path since last year/his suspension. I think he could be a killer DLman in the NFL. He may not be the best fit in a 3-4 but we still don’t know what D we will be running and he could be a great penetrator in a Wade Phillips styles 34. Could be a great 3 or 5 tech in a 43 I think too.

Our 2nd round pick should be high enough to land this guy. Unless there is a stud LB or RT that falls (like Martez Wilson or Carimi) he should be the pick, but I bet the Bills out think themselves with this one.

When Gailey came here, he wanted to run a 3-4. The 4-3 was a band-aid, when we struggled, due to personnel. I expect that the transition we started with drafting Troup and Carrington will continue

I'm a Carolina fan, and Marvin Austin underwhelmed during his time at UNC despite being a hugely hyped HS recruit. When he was suspended, the prevailing thought among fans was "good." It's not that he's a bad player -- he just wasn't the difference maker everyone expected him to be.

You don't touch Austin at #3. You might draft him in the 3rd.

If you're looking at Carolina players to draft, you look at DL Robert Quinn (who IS worthy of a high 1st round pick IMO), and LB Bruce Carter -- who should also go no later than the 2nd.

As another Carolina huge fan, I have to agree just about completely with the exception of the possibility of Carter lasting till the second round, NO WAY NO HOW! Carter is a top 15 pick, no doubt. Having said that, Austin as you mentioned was a super hyped player, and I dont believe he ever lived up to expectations. He'd make some really nice plays but for the most part he disappeared.

Maybe you consider him in the second, I'd go as far as the third.

As another Carolina huge fan, I have to agree just about completely with the exception of the possibility of Carter lasting till the second round, NO WAY NO HOW! Carter is a top 15 pick, no doubt. Having said that, Austin as you mentioned was a super hyped player, and I dont believe he ever lived up to expectations. He'd make some really nice plays but for the most part he disappeared.

Maybe you consider him in the second, I'd go as far as the third.

Carter tore up his knee in late November and had reconstructive surgery in December.

with all the money the school makes off these kids, I see no reason for them to get money. I'm not saying millions here ok. I know some get a free education but there should be a little more then that playing the game of football that violent.

College athletes should not get paid, period.

Nobody is forcing them to play a violent sport; they do it for the free education and the opportunity to make millions in the pros.

A better idea (in my opinion) would be to allow players on scholarships to borrow money against the value of the 100-200k education that they are getting for free.

If they choose to borrow 10k, 20k, 50k, that's up to them.

Those who make it to the pros will pay that off easily.

Those who don't will be saddled with student loans like every other college grad.

my 2 cents

The Giants already had good players at other positions and had the luxury of drafting for depth.

They also drafted Eli Manning when they had a top 5 pick, I would be happy to follow their lead. Take a QB at #3 and then load up on DL

The Giants never drafted Eli Manning FYI.

Secondly, this QB class isn't nearly as good as that QB class. I wanted Luck but he's out of the equation and I don't like Mallett nor do I like Newton. I don't want to reach for Gabbert either.