Whitner coming un-hinged?

The Big Cat

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mornin' message to Buffalo Bills fans..."Be careful what u wish for!"...Good day

7:42am via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Alot of what I do/did kept our ENTIRE secondary together.....

7:53am via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Read your signature, change the name, and change the number to 8.

Edited by Bill from NYC

mornin' message to Buffalo Bills fans..."Be careful what u wish for!"...Good day

Looks like he's doing his best Lebron impression with that first one.

Wouldn't you come unhinged if you were a safety and had to watch Polamalu & Reed show you how a real safety plays the game?

Sounds like he's about to pull a Columbine. They should up their security at One Bills Drive.

I cant say he's wrong. I dont agree with him feeling he needs to defend himself to the "fans", but after 6 years of getting constantly hated on by a group of people you are busting your butt for... I imagine it can become frustrating.

He's right that he kept our Secondary together. Arguably the best part of our defense, Whitner has played any position theyve asked him to, and that has turned out to be EVERY position (SS, FS, CB). Most Strong Safeties wouldnt be able to do that. Has he played them all at a Pro Bowl level? Certainly not. But he never once complained about scheme or position or coaching or anything. He has been a good soldier for this organization and should be re-signed to a decent contract.

Now, I dont think he should get the $7-8mil a year he is probably asking for. But if this team is serious about building, you have to find ways to keep players like Whitner and then, worst case, look to add talent around him or replace him with better talent down the road. But you cant keep letting players walk or the cycle will be never ending.

the first tweet imply's he is better than whomever will replace him.

the second tweet is about all the parties....err, defensive team meetings he organized at his house.

as far as when the CBA gets settled?....i say the players take this thru to July 4th to eliminate all the voluntary(cough) OTA's.

Edited by papazoid

I cant say he's wrong. I dont agree with him feeling he needs to defend himself to the "fans", but after 6 years of getting constantly hated on by a group of people you are busting your butt for... I imagine it can become frustrating.

He's right that he kept our Secondary together. Arguably the best part of our defense, Whitner has played any position theyve asked him to, and that has turned out to be EVERY position (SS, FS, CB). Most Strong Safeties wouldnt be able to do that. Has he played them all at a Pro Bowl level? Certainly not. But he never once complained about scheme or position or coaching or anything. He has been a good soldier for this organization and should be re-signed to a decent contract.

Now, I dont think he should get the $7-8mil a year he is probably asking for. But if this team is serious about building, you have to find ways to keep players like Whitner and then, worst case, look to add talent around him or replace him with better talent down the road. But you cant keep letting players walk or the cycle will be never ending.

I agree with everything here, and Whitner did hold a secondary of rookies and free-agents together playing multiple position. He has value and will produce in the right scheme. Some team will either pay him everything he is looking for, or he will be had for a bargain. If there isn't an upgrade in free agency or via the draft you keep him, if there is and he can be brought in you let him go.

I did see several plays where he was expecting help over the top with Byrd and Byrd was very late getting there. Byrd had a very poor sophomore year.

He wanted to roam more as safties do in the 3-4 and he said that this was the year we would see him shine and make a lot of plays. It didn't happen - and doubtful there is a number of excuses that come to mind, but I think that it would do Whitner well to test the market and have a new start. He always has had a lot of expectations on him and undoubtably it has weighed on him.

Sometimes it is just better to start fresh, and Donte may want to consider that a cover-2 team fits his zone coverage abilities better. I don't think the Nix will get rid of a player that he feels is a good piece to the rebuilding puzzle unless he truely felt they could upgrade the position.

OK Donte. You win. However, since you ripped off Ralph and the fans for the past five seasons, you're welcome back at a 10% cut in salary and no guaranteed money. However, your contract will be worth triple if you meet certain incentives.

I agree with just about everything said in this thread. I'm really disappointed in Whitner's incessant chest pumping and self-promotion. To me, his online behavior indicates weakness. I know this is in no way an original idea round these parts, but the reality as we perceive it does seem to contradict the reality Donte advocates via twitter. And so long as he's pleading to the fans he's doing himself a disservice. As we all know, perceived reality IS reality.

Shut up, Donte.

I agree with just about everything said in this thread. I'm really disappointed in Whitner's incessant chest pumping and self-promotion. To me, his online behavior indicates weakness. I know this is in no way an original idea round these parts, but the reality as we perceive it does seem to contradict the reality Donte advocates via twitter. And so long as he's pleading to the fans he's doing himself a disservice. As we all know, perceived reality IS reality.

Shut up, Donte.

That's heavy brother. Well said.

Thank you. I am not a huge Whitner fan, but he is clearly a good player with a good work ethic. Is he one

of the top 2-3 safeties in the league? Probably not, but the team could do far worse. They should keep

him if his salary demands are to be paid like a good starting safety. If he insists on top 3 money, then they

have to make the business decision about whether to pay him that or not. But if they don't re-sign him,

they'll have yet another hole to fill on an already poor defense.

Regarding the obnoxious smart-a$$ put downs that a small number of people throw around at him and

others around here, it is absolutely shameful. These guys are all professional athletes and are very talented.

Even the very worst of them are still great athletes. Most of them work and play very hard. They don't deserve

the crap flung at them by a few around here. To be clear, I am not saying it is out of bounds to criticize a

player or coach or even to suggest that someone needs to be replaced, but some around here make Jerry

Sullivan sound like the Pope. To those people: sharpen your writing skills and formulate well-thought-out posts

with fair and balanced analyses rather than sarcastic rants that simply boil down to "he sucks because I said he does".

I don't think the Nix will get rid of a player that he feels is a good piece to the rebuilding puzzle unless he truely felt they could upgrade the position.

Well, there is more to it than just upgrading the position. Given that the Bills (and most teams) have a limit to what they are willing to spend for

salaries overall, the question is more what is the best way to optimize the value they get for the money they spend? Just as an example, let's say

that Whitner will sign for $5Mil/yr. I think that he is somewhat better than George Wilson, but would the Bills be better the spend that $5M on

another FA at another position (maybe a LB) and let Wilson take over the SS position? IMHO, it would be a bit of a downgrade at SS, but might

be a significantly smaller downgrade than the upgrade that they might be able to make at another position.

Edited by OldTimer1960

Shut up, Donte.

I agree with you somewhat, Big Cat.

I am not anti-Donte but I think the Twitter thing is a revealing glance into his psyche. I don't think he is helping his cause by being (take your pick) a diva, a drama queen, needy, insecure.

There are lots of players who are or have been in an equivalent position and have done a much better job of handling the situation.

Basically he can do one of three things:

1) What he is already doing.

2) Putting a positive spin on things.

3) Saying nothing at all.

Donte really isn't accomplishing anything by his Tweets and I think he's turning public opinion away from himself so in my opinion, he does really need to shut it down. I think most people are perceiving his tweets as whiny and self-pitying. In spite of the fact that I generally like Whitner, that's the way I perceive them.