We'll Be Drafting Our Franchise QB This Year

Bangarang

And it won't be in the 1st round. We'll be drafting Christian Ponder in the 2nd round. This is exactly the kind of player that Nix likes. Chan will also be coaching him in the Senior Bowl and will fall in love with this kid.

He has everything you'd look for in a franchise QB. 3 year starter in a pro style offense. Very smart; graduated in 2.5 years w/ a 3.7 GPA and is currently finishing up a graduate degree. Good size and strength with very good athleticism. Strong arm capable of making all the NFL throws with ease. Can read defenses and go through progressions.

His draft stock was hurt because he played through injuries his senior year and has had a couple of surgeries on his throwing arm. However, if our doctors find nothing is structurally wrong with his arm and everything checks out, he's going to be our pick at the top of the 2nd.

Been following him and watching him since last year and this guy just looks like an NFL quarterback. He literally carried resurrected and carried that Florida State team. He just needs to be coached up and who better to do that than our very own Chan?

C'mon dude, Ponder is career backup, kid just doesn't have the arm and the combine showed that today, balls rainbowed in and where short to the receivers.

Kaepernick has the best throwing motion of the QBs out there today after overthrowing in the early in the day he dialed it and was hittin the WRs on a rope and on the money. His arm reminds me of Vick the way he just snaps the ball out there and athletically is just one step below Vick which is one step above everyone else. This kid is the way to go with his talent and overall body of work and is a no brainer after the first. The only other option is Gabbert and I would rather not give up those D-line stars @ 3when we can get our franchise latter.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon dude, Ponder is career backup, kid just doesn't have the arm and the combine showed that today, balls rainbowed in and where short to the receivers.

Kaepernick has the best throwing motion of the QBs out there today after overthrowing in the early in the day he dialed it and was hittin the WRs on a rope and on the money. His arm reminds me of Vick the way he just snaps the ball out there and athletically is just one step below Vick which is one step above everyone else. This kid is the way to go with his talent and overall body of work and is a no brainer after the first. The only other option is Gabbert and I would rather not give up those D-line stars @ 3when we can get our franchise latter.

To have said all of that without mentioning that one guy who people talks about is amazing.

But, the thing about Ponder, I see him being an Alex Van Pelt or maybe even a Frank Reich. I do not know if that is such a bad thing. In this years draft? Round 2? No, neither. Round 3 is pressing it. If he is there at 4, I would take him all day and twice on Saturday.

To have said all of that without mentioning that one guy who people talks about is amazing.

But, the thing about Ponder, I see him being an Alex Van Pelt or maybe even a Frank Reich. I do not know if that is such a bad thing. In this years draft? Round 2? No, neither. Round 3 is pressing it. If he is there at 4, I would take him all day and twice on Saturday.

Who should have I mentioned?

Busts: Newton, Mallett

Solid Pros: Gabbert, Ponder & Locker

Backups: Stanzi, Kaepernick, Dalton

There.

Fixed.

You guys much watch a lot of Missouri, Fl State and....Nevada games.

Or are you basing your own opinion on those of others?

This years QB class might be better then last years in the long run, save for Sam Bradford who is several heads above anyone in this years class. Andew Luck would have been the 1st QB selected this year but he decided to stay in school for his final year.

The thing is Luck didn't grade as well as Sam Bradford, so there is no top ten QB in this years draft, which means there is nobody that would be good enough to step in and play openeing day, at least IMHO.

All the QB's in this years class need developmental work, some more then others. Some QB's send out more alarm bells then a 10 alarm fire does, some guys I wouldn't even have on my draft board due to their past history.

Blaine Gabbert won 18 games in his last 2 years at Missouri,, threw for 3186 yards last season and 16 TD's passing, 5 more rushing. Has a career pass efficiency rating of 132.59, so yea the best QB in this bunch, still I wouldn't start him. Jake Locker has some accuracy problems, but it looks like its easily fixable with better footwork.

I think all the spread offense quarterbacks will either be outright busts or just alright. This draft is full of Graham Harrells and Pat Whites.

I think Mallet will be a star, but that's 100% banking on being drafted by the right team where he can watch and learn for a year or two due to personality. Throw him to the wolves right away and he'll be a disaster.

I like Tolzien and Portis as well as above average quarterbacks in the NFL.

According to this board.... no one the Bills are even thinking about will be a good NFL player. :lol:

You haven't heard? Andrew Luck = Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Every other QB prospect is Vince Young, JaMarcuss Russel, David Carr, Alex Smith.

Remember this time last year? Would clausen last to 9? Would we get a shot at McCoy at 41? Skelton, lefevour... Even max hall all got "Brady" threads.... In hindsight it was a little overzealous.

As we discuss cam, gabbert, locker, ponder, stanzi, kaepernick, mallet and Dalton as franchise qbs... Maybe a reminder that of the group there's probably 1 playoff qb, 1 marginal starter, 1 career backup, and a bunch of guys that more than likely are gone in 4-5 years?

Am I crazy? Am i missing that this class is ridiculously talented or are we just really optimistic because it's February and this is the year we turn it all around? I just feel like everytime a guy has a good workout or interview he's suddenly "the obvious choice" at 34.

So how do you guys break them up? If forced to draw a line in the sand - who lands where?

Just curious.

Great post - this years crop is confusing because there clearly is not one guy (like Bradford) who is markedly better than the rest....Taking a shot in round 3 would be OK, other than that, tend to more other pressing needs... Good post though.

I certainly hope so, and what I mean by that is, whomever we do draft, I hope he finally turns out to be the franchise quarterback. You never know on draft day if you drafted your franchise quarterback or not, since we have drafted our "franchise quarterback" twice now in the past 6 or 7 years (Losman & Edwards), it just didn't end up being so in the long run. There is no sure bet, especially with drafting quarterbacks, but if we don't take the chance, we never will get our franchise quarterback, and with that said, we will never be a winning team again. I like Fitz alot, but he is in no way even close to being a franchise quarterback.