Dave Wannstedt expected to talk to Bills

FluffHead

Yes, of course. My bad. Off by a season. (They all seem to blend together, lately.)

As I recall now, Jauron tried to retain LeBeau - but Lebeau told him to :censored: off !!!

Dick Lebeau was assistant head coach in 2003 under Gregg Williams, he's been the defensive coordinator in Pittsburgh since 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_LeBeau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Williams

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but isn't an Asst HC usually a Coordinator? What else would they do?

Yes, but its all about titles to these guys. Especially with the rules in place that dictate that other teams can only talk to your guys about promotions, not lateral movements.

So instead of demoting Edwards, we keep him where he is and make up a new position in between HC and DC for Wanny to go.

Has nothing to do with roles and duties, only job title. If we brought Wanny in, for all intents and purposes, he would act like a DC.

Tom Cable is a former offensive line coach, hiring him as defensive coordinator would bring no credibility.

+1

As for replacing Edwards, though - I was wondering about that before I heard the Wanny rumor here based olnly on Chris Brown's story this morning, which seemed to imply a lot of the offense's problem was the defense's inability to get off the field.

When Chris Brown is pointing fingers - you can assume he's releasing internal dirt under orders from the management.

Edited by BobChalmers

We can argue about DC names, but let's just go give whoever it is some more talent. Ray Lewis has had quite a few different defensive coordinators and I don't see a lot of difference in their approach and performance. Big time players set the tone. We don't really have any on that side of the ball. Merriman is a long shot, but at least an effort has begun. I like the idea of Casey Matthews taking over Poz's spot if he's sitting there in round 2. Time for some playmakers.

Yes, but its all about titles to these guys. Especially with the rules in place that dictate that other teams can only talk to your guys about promotions, not lateral movements.

So instead of demoting Edwards, we keep him where he is and make up a new position in between HC and DC for Wanny to go.

Has nothing to do with roles and duties, only job title. If we brought Wanny in, for all intents and purposes, he would act like a DC.

Yep, good point.

Ugh...why don't they just bring in a real DC instead of dicking around with an asst HC? Afraid to hurt coach Edwards feelings?

Reactionary statement? Give George another year with some help. If he felt threatened with a new hire or two i'm ok with that.

Chan sounded as if he is hedging all his bets lately. And with his hybrid defense comment he can run either 4-3, 3-4 differnt gaps depending the players he gets and puts on the field. We can be sure he wants to stop the run.

Any more real news on Dave. Probably going to San Diego unless Chan is selling him quite a bill of goods. As mentioned OC would be inviting maybe. But if we could get him to take any position i think it will help us out. Ralph? Ralph? Over here Ralph! I have this idea...

Yes, what is your point? If you don't like it, direct the conversation in more intelligent & enlightened ways, rather than simply offering a thin & pointless criticism... This is a fan board, after all, the Mecca/epicenter for hypotheticals... It's the whole point of having sites like this... sheesh...

This is really 7 pages of thread arguing an unconfirmed, vague hypothetical.

Edited by applescruff

FWIW - couple more tidbits...

Why is everyone jonesing for the Wannstache? Let's take a look back at his NFL body of work.

In his four years as defensive coordinator for the Cowboys, Wannstedt's defenses went from 20th to 10th to 17th to 1st in the league in yards allowed. Maybe his name isn't the first you think of when those Super Bowl-winning Cowboys teams are mentioned, but Wannstedt does have a ring.

When he got to Miami, the defense became as formidable as his mouth brow. In all five of his years as head coach, his defense was ranked in the top ten in the league in yardage allowed, even in 2004, where he opened the season 1-8 and lost his job.

Link - Dave Wannstedt has suddenly become a hot coaching commodity

Link - Bills interested in aiding Wannstedt’s NFL Return

Edited by The Senator