The Buffalo Bills Is A Business Model - NOT A Football Team!

And in the world of business the only think that matters is the monetary, financial ($) bottom line.

Buffalo Bills Bottom Line: Team owner Ralph Wilson obviously has NO interest in producing a championship team. His goal is only to make as much money, year-after-year, as possible. He does this by bringing in cheap coaches and cheap players and, every now-and-then, a big name player. The big name player, like Terrell Owens, brings fans back to the stadium buying tickets, and also buying NFL jerseys.

Analysis: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner who WANTS a championship team, the Bills will never be a championship contender. Never!

Suggestion: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner, we're better off finding something better to do with our time. Ex: Here in Syracuse the gradually improving SU Orange football team is getting more of the attention that Buffalo Bills used to get from CNY Bills fans.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL teams are businesses? With a commitment to bottom line performance? Who knew?

I'm so glad you cleared that up before finding "something better" to do with your time.

Go Orange.

GO BILLS!!!

And in the world of business the only think that matters is the monetary, financial ($) bottom line.

Buffalo Bills Bottom Line: Team owner Ralph Wilson obviously has NO interest in producing a championship team. His goal is only to make as much money, year-after-year, as possible. He does this by bringing in cheap coaches and cheap players and, every now-and-then, a big name player. The big name player, like Terrell Owens, brings fans back to the stadium buying tickets, and also buying NFL jerseys.

Analysis: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner who WANTS a championship team, the Bills will never be a championship contender. Never!

Suggestion: Until the Buffalo Bills is owned by a new team owner, we're better off finding something better to do with our time. Ex: Here in Syracuse the gradually improving SU Orange football team is getting more of the attention that Buffalo Bills used to get from CNY Bills fans.

Due to revenue sharing they really don't get that large of a portion of the gate or merchandise sales. The difference in salary for a player like TO compared to the gain in money is likely negligible. The real money would be made if they get extra games by making it to the playoffs.

you make a lot more money if you go to the playoffs, if you have multiple star players on your team for a long time, and with higher tv ratings when your team is winning.

TV revenue is split equally, no? So it only matters if the leauge has high ratings, not the team.

Aside from that, I do agree that a successful team is more profitable and longer term more valuable than an also-ran, but that requires a lot of up front capital and risk to get to that point. Teams that spend a lot of money don't automatically get better and a 90 year old guy is not going to take that risk, especially since it has a long term return that he probably won't be around to see.

Every team in the NFL has a primary objective to make money, which is entirely reasonable. No owner, whether it's Arthur Blank, Bob Krafts, or RW wants to lose money even if it means winning games. There's a balance here.

At the same time, not all teams place as high a priority on winning, and that's where the Buffalo Bills fall, especially the 2006-2010 seasons. Buffalo cut their payroll 20-25M in 2010 and hired a no-name low cost HC, If they don't acquire some quality UFA's and insist on building exclusively through the draft (provided there's a CBA) then the only conclusion anyone should draw is that they think they've got years to work with.

Based on declining attendance and season ticket sales, it appears their time is limited. Then again, perhaps that's what they want.

All NFL teams are businesses. All good businesses have business models.

If you want to talk to a good business man then Ralph is your man. He is been there longer and has made much money.

Your statement on his wanting to win is an opinion. Your "analysis" ignores historical data which shows he had two AFL championships and then the 4 straight AFC titles. I believe that he wants to win; he is just not very good at achieving that "business goal".

Every team in the NFL has a primary objective to make money, which is entirely reasonable. No owner, whether it's Arthur Blank, Bob Krafts, or RW wants to lose money even if it means winning games. There's a balance here.

At the same time, not all teams place as high a priority on winning, and that's where the Buffalo Bills fall, especially the 2006-2010 seasons. Buffalo cut their payroll 20-25M in 2010 and hired a no-name low cost HC, If they don't acquire some quality UFA's and insist on building exclusively through the draft (provided there's a CBA) then the only conclusion anyone should draw is that they think they've got years to work with.

Based on declining attendance and season ticket sales, it appears their time is limited. Then again, perhaps that's what they want.

Assuming there is a CBA agreement sooner rather than later what is going to be telling is if the Bills are going to participate in a meaningful way in the free agent market. I don't expect them to make a big splash. But if the Bills could add three quality players at critical need positions, such as OT, TE and LB, then I will be more than satisfied.

Make no mistake about it, the Bills are primarily taking the drafting route to rebuild. That is the right approach to take. However, if the franchise doesn't expedite the rebuilding process with some judicious free agent acquistions then you know that the owner, at 92 yrs of age, has little urgency to deviate from the profitable way he does business.

Edited by JohnC

Of course they want to win. One look at Ralph's face after they beat the Dolphins will tell you that. Winning is just not their main objective it is a supporting goal. Winning helps you raise revenue and it is good unless it costs more to win than you get back in revenue. In a town where your ability to sell luxury seats is handicapped the effect of winning is somewhat limited. The primary objective now is to increase the value of the Buffalo Bills franchise to prepare it to be sold or auctioned off. The "cash to the cap", principle supported that goal nicely.

I believe that Wilson is also interested in his legacy among his peer gorup - the other owners . I think he gets a great deal of satisfaction in showing other owners how it should be done.

I believe that Wilson is also interested in his legacy among his peer gorup - the other owners . I think he gets a great deal of satisfaction in showing other owners how it should be done.

Ralph Wilson has shown the other owners what not to do if winning is a serious consideration. The Buffalo model is a model for futility, not success.

yeah. you could really feel the respect and love from his contemporary, bud adams, last year when he flipped him off. and i'll bet wilson savors seeing his teams laughed at by other teams players and coaches. i don't think he ever wanted it to go this badly but he has also never been (or at most for short periods in the distant past) highly committed to fielding the best football team possible.

Of course they want to win. One look at Ralph's face after they beat the Dolphins will tell you that. Winning is just not their main objective it is a supporting goal. Winning helps you raise revenue and it is good unless it costs more to win than you get back in revenue. In a town where your ability to sell luxury seats is handicapped the effect of winning is somewhat limited. The primary objective now is to increase the value of the Buffalo Bills franchise to prepare it to be sold or auctioned off. The "cash to the cap", principle supported that goal nicely.

Wilson said after the Miami game in Toronto 2 years ago the team didn't have enough talent. At the time, he had a marketing guy running football ops who had Modrak and Guy working for him. Then, after the Miami game you reference, he said the drafts the past 10 years have been "terrible." I don't take a whole lot from the look on someone's face as proof that someone is intent on winning.

That said, I don't blame RW as much anymore simply because he's 92 and isn't involved day to day. His principal lieutenants, Littman, Brandon, and Overdorf are running this horror story of a franchise for him. I think Nix takes a lot of orders, and this is a central reason why the Bills couldn't get interviews for their GM and HC openings.