your brush with greatness

Dirtbag

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a freshman in HS in '74 OJ lived across from one of my best friends in East Amherst. We were outside playing football in the street and OJ came out with his USC letter jacket on (this was the fall) taking his garbage out to the street. I was closest to him and had the ball and he put the cans down and motioned to me to throw it to him which I did. He then threw it back. That was pretty cool. Then he killed some people in

California, alledgedly.

When I was a freshman in HS in '74 OJ lived across from one of my best friends in East Amherst. We were outside playing football in the street and OJ came out with his USC letter jacket on (this was the fall) taking his garbage out to the street. I was closest to him and had the ball and he put the cans down and motioned to me to throw it to him which I did. He then threw it back. That was pretty cool. Then he killed some people in

California, alledgedly.

OJ has always been known to take time out and try and be the best to kids. He tells a story of how he was a kid and was shunned by a top baseball player who was a family friend. He was embarassed in front of all his friends and always remembers that encounter when a kid says something to him or can use a pick me up.

I once saw him get flagged down by a hotel bellhop who said he named his son after OJ. OJ got on the hotel phone and called the kid at home to talk to him.

If you are a dude, a kid, or a female between 0-16 and 40+, there is usually nothing bad said about him.

In the 80s, I had gone drinking at Melanie's, probably to see Valby. Stopped at the Mighty Taco on Transit near the Thruway about 1:30-2 AM to grab a couple of burritos.

Great intro ... This story wins for being the most authentic Buffalo. You can fill in the blank with anything after that.

he was an impressive looking specimen, thats for sure. unfortunately he had the flexibility of a statue. still wonder how it would have worked out if he had gotten Bryan Cox off the Fins bus

Cox would have died in the parking lot that day. No doubt.

Edited by Bob in STL

In the early 90"s, I went to a Jim Kelly stargaze event (basically a signing) at a mall in Rochester. Huge turnout. There were 3-4 guys there,Jim, a reciever, a lineman, and I thought Tasker. I waited an hour - an hour and a half just to see Tasker.

As I got close I mentioned his name, and the guy in front of me turns around and says "Tasker, that's freakin' Rob Ray" A little stunned and embarassed, I stuck it out. Actually got a 5x9 he autographed right there, and talked to him a few minutes, worked out well.

Photo still hangs in computer room by plaques of Kelly, Andre, Paup, and Barnaby.

I consider myself fortunate to have had so many 'brushes' with Buffalo sports icons, from the the '60's Bills through the Braves & Sabres to today. Probably my personal favorite was Jan, '96. My 12 yr.old son & I had 3rd row Sabres seats vs. the Panthers. 5 minutes into the game, Jill & Jim Kelly come walking down the stairs and I nudge my son to look. I start scanning the area around us and realize quickly the ONLY 2 vacant seats are right in front of us, row 2. Sure enough, that's where they're heading. My son was in awe and star-struck. -Ha! Jim had recently had knee surgery -thus the late entrance and early exits. He was very gracious throughout, chatting about the Bills and signed my son's Silver Anny Sabres program. My son has never forgotten it! Televised on Empire, I took a lot of good-natured ribbing from co-workers the next day, for 'the company I keep' outside of work- Ha!

Honorable mention would be the 50th Anni celebration of the Bills just before last years' home opener vs. Tampa Bay

I met Buddy Nix one day back in 1997.

I went to a Durham,NC sports bar (currently a seafood place) to watch the Bills '07 opener versus Minn (Todd Collins' first career start after the Jimbo era...ugh!). They had the Triangle Area Bills Fan club there and had a whole wing of Bills fans watch on a big screen. I got there at 1:00 and had to sit on the outside of the wing but had an empty table. An older gentlemen asked if he could sit at the table with me and I said sure. I could not tell who he was rooting so at half time I asked him and he said he was rooting for the Bills in his think southern accent. After a couple of minutes of trying to figure out why he might like them I asked him if he knew a player on the team and he looked around and said "No. I am with the Bills, but keep it quiet around all these folks" and handed me his card.

I asked him about his territory as a Scout (Southeast and Texas) and we talked about a few players from the '97 draft. Specifically, I told him that I thought Tiki Barber looked awesome in the 2 college games I saw him in and thought he could even hold up as a full time back and asked what he thought of him. He said he liked him a lot too, but they like Antowain Smith's size and speed better. Think he learned from me and took Spiller over Ryan Matthews? Yah, sure...LOL. He has very low key and I am pretty laid back so after halftime we did not talk much and he left right after the last play. Pretty cool guy. The thing I liked and still can sense from his tv and interviews online is that he does not have an ego, a low key guy that loves football.

Of course, I had to stay around a few minutes later to show a few guys his business card. :)

Great story. Rates right up there with when I first met the legendary Bob Lamb.

my second story.....Jim Kelly had a fundraiser..golf at wanakah and reception back area of Pilot Field. at the reception i have a football to get autographs....got 6 QB's....Jim Kelly, John Elway, Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Randall Cuningham and Joe Namath all on the same ball. the nicest one of em was Joe Namath...all smiley, probably a lil tipsy, asked me my name, small talk for a minute, and he personalizes his signature by writing my name on the ball and a short message. all the others just signed and moved on. a few years later, i'm talking to a dealer collector trying to determine the value. not interested in selling, just curious. tell em the story and he informs me that Joe Namath screwed me..i say what?....he says by Joe writing my name on the ball it lost value, he probably did it on purpose...lol....that drunked no good s.o.b.

I have been pretty fortunate to have met and talked to a lot of people throughout the NFL (teams, league offices, NFL Films, HOF). This year alone, I have had several notable interviews: Ron Wolf, Don Shula, Gil Brandt, Bill Parcells, Mercury Morris, Marlin Briscoe, Bob Gain, Robert Brazile, Mike Holmgren and Ken Riley.

But the biggest suprise was early this year. Every year, the PFRA keeps track of the players that have passed away and publish that list in our magazine. Jeff Nixon (former Bills player) asked me if he could publish the list on the Fourth and Goal blog (they help retired players). About an hour after he posted it on his blog, I receive a phone call. Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants called to thank me for keeping tabs on these players. We talked for a while. Later that day, Bills QB Joe Ferguson emailed me to talk about a former Bill. It was a pretty good day.

my son ran a restaurant outside Saratoga and was always calling me with guys who had come in for d drink and I got a kick out of talking with a couple of guys from The Sopranos, David Cassidy from the Partridge family, Doug Flutie, etc. The most "celebrity" call he hit me with was Bill Parcells who apparently is a bit of a horse fan and owns a place. Nothing special as to the conversation, just seemed pleasant enough. I still blame him for our losing our first superbowl...but I was polite.

I have been pretty fortunate to have met and talked to a lot of people throughout the NFL (teams, league offices, NFL Films, HOF). This year alone, I have had several notable interviews: Ron Wolf, Don Shula, Gil Brandt, Bill Parcells, Mercury Morris, Marlin Briscoe, Bob Gain, Robert Brazile, Mike Holmgren and Ken Riley.

But the biggest suprise was early this year. Every year, the PFRA keeps track of the players that have passed away and publish that list in our magazine. Jeff Nixon (former Bills player) asked me if he could publish the list on the Fourth and Goal blog (they help retired players). About an hour after he posted it on his blog, I receive a phone call. Sam Huff, HOF linebacker for the Giants called to thank me for keeping tabs on these players. We talked for a while. Later that day, Bills QB Joe Ferguson emailed me to talk about a former Bill. It was a pretty good day.

Sounds like a VERY good day! :thumbsup:

Well i have one that means something only to me. But its a nice memory.

When i was about 7.... we were in New Orleans at the court of Two Sisters restaurant. It was a big deal i guess.

But what i recall is that there was a couple sitting next to me and my parents. Something in conversation happened between the tables.

And my obliging Ma and Pa were taking pictures of them. They had just gotten married and he was a 49er. I did not know what that meant.

He was very big.

And they were very nice and happy. My first brush with the NFL was a good one and even though it was over 40 years ago i have never forgotten and smile at the memory.

By the way this has been a pretty cool read op!

Living in Hawaii in 2006 (I think) I went to the Pro-Bowl by myself. We had Schobel and Moorman playing, and some Jills were there. It was the game where Moorman had a fake punt and Sean Taylor absolutely leveled him. He got up right away though and gave Taylor props for the hit. After the game I'm walking out of the stadium and I see a couple with Moorman jerseys. Anxious to meet/see any Bills fans there, and I went up to them and said go Bills etc, and mentioned the shot that Brian took. The man abruptly said to me defensively, "Yeah, well did you see him get right back up?!" Then the lady explained that they were his parents - really cool people, down to earth and asked me a lot of questions etc etc. I gave them a card and they said they would send me some goodies...still waiting :)

I've met Bruce Smith a few times - a golf course, a political rally, and a bar. He was nice enough but clearly wasn't intested in talking to anyone outside his group for more than a hello.

Just before this season I had a conversation with Jumbo Elliot. He is a man who turned his life around. He now owns businesses and contributes to local charities.

Jumbo talked about how intense it was to play against Bruce. He said that if he was of balance for a second, Bruce would beat him. He made it pretty clear however that he wasn't physically afraid of Bruce.

He also said that he coached Jason Peters. I raved about Peters strength and he implied that when he played that he was stronger than Peters as well, and I have no reason not to believe him.

This was fun, but not as much as the time Raquel Welch actually stopped walking, turned around, and winked at me approx. 25 years ago. She was SO freaking hot that she froze me. I couldn't move for a few seconds and my forehead started sweating. I saw her laughing as she turned around and walked away. Even then she wasn't young. Just 100% beautiful. Raquel Welch was true greatness. :thumbsup: