Okay Mallet, make me a believer

Virgil

That's funny...I had almost the opposite impression. While I wasn't overly impressed with Mallett, he really does throw a nice ball. I can't remember exactly how many balls were dropped by his receivers, but it was pretty ugly. One costly drop in particular was on the 1st or 2nd play of the game...it was a 20-30 yard frozen rope from Mallett that hit the receiver right on the hands...should have been a TD.

One negative I noticed about Mallett was that, when he was under pressure (which was most of the game), he tends to throw the ball off his back foot. Seems that he really isn't comfortable hanging in the pocket and making a good throw when he knows he's going to take a hit. Saw a few plays where his form was really ugly, and his passes on those plays went right to the receiver's shoe strings.

DJ Williams didn't really impress me at all. Granted, he did catch a TD pass, and showed great effort to get the ball into the end zone. He is undersized and a horrible blocker. He was often lined up on the left side to help the LT with Cam Heyward, and was thrown around like a rag doll. He might be a decent pass receiver and a good character guy, but IMO he has a long way to go before he is a good TE in the pro's.

BTW...Heyward was a beast last night. Buddy and Chan might want to take a long look at this guy, as he might be available when we pick in the 2nd round.

Heyward had a great game - was a huge factor in pressuring Mallett - but I hope Nix & Gailey will find some way to draft the Wisconsin LT that earlier this season emasculated Heyward, rendering him a complete non-entity (one recorded tackle for a loss, never touched Wisconsin QB Scott Tolzien) as the Badgers bullied the Buckeyes 31-18, scoring 3 rushing TDs.

(That guy would be Wisconsin LT Gabe Carimi)

Edited by The Senator

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnesota Vikings: Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

Poor Joe Webb isn't going to get a chance. In Monday's press conference, Leslie Frazier indicated that he wants to find the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco.

How about the next Byron Leftwich? Ryan Mallett is having a great season. He has maintained great accuracy (66.5%) - which is damn impressive considering his 9.9 YPA against SEC opponents. However, his release takes years and he can't move around whatsoever. Mallett could also potentially score in the single digits on the Wonderlic. Hopefully they'll give him five points for spelling his name correctly.

RYAN MALLETT

Gulp...The comment on his intelligence is disturbing. On top of his shaky performance at the Sugar Bowl, I wonder if this guy will fall out of the first 2 rounds.

Poor Joe Webb isn't going to get a chance. In Monday's press conference, Leslie Frazier indicated that he wants to find the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco.

How about the next Byron Leftwich? Ryan Mallett is having a great season. He has maintained great accuracy (66.5%) - which is damn impressive considering his 9.9 YPA against SEC opponents. However, his release takes years and he can't move around whatsoever. Mallett could also potentially score in the single digits on the Wonderlic. Hopefully they'll give him five points for spelling his name correctly.

RYAN MALLETT

Gulp...The comment on his intelligence is disturbing. On top of his shaky performance at the Sugar Bowl, I wonder if this guy will fall out of the first 2 rounds.

What was Jimbo's score?

Gee,

Someone wrote something on the INTERNET on an official website - it must be well researched and true!

I would bet my house the invisible writer has never talked to RM - talked to his coaching staff or researched anything about RM other than coughing up talijg points.

I am not a RM supporter but sheesh

RYAN MALLETT

Maybe it's just me, but that's one HELL of an insult to a young Kid before he even takes the Wonderlic...I have no idea what Mallet is going to score...In the interviews I've seen with him he certainly does not seem stupid...Albeit he does not sound like a Dr of Quantum Physics either...I think predicting the Kid will score a single digit Wonderlic is WAY out of line...Even if they're right...Do you really want to go around calling Prospects stupid? It's classless... B-)

Just so you guys know, walterfootball has had a vendetta out against Mallet all season long, for no certifiable reason.

The loser who runs that site also claimed that Jimmy Clausen was the best QB in last year's draft and should have been taken ahead of Bradford.

Just so you guys know, walterfootball has had a vendetta out against Mallet all season long, for no certifiable reason.

The loser who runs that site also claimed that Jimmy Clausen was the best QB in last year's draft and should have been taken ahead of Bradford.

Funny! Thanks for that info; I didn't know this.

No.

Dan Marino didn't have a lofty score.

And he reminds us of that every Sunday during the season when he's guaranteed to say multiple stuupid things, but...he did have the quickest of releases and though as slow as a sloth he could slide around in the pocket enough to make the throws.

As a huge Fitzpatrick fan, I am not in the "draft a QB" crowd. However, rest assured that if Mallet is SOMEHOW sitting there in Round 2, Nix will scoop him up faster than he picked Spiller last year.

The biggest problem with that scenario is that NE* is sitting ahead of us with the first pick in round 2, and we all know how they love to wheel and deal. If Mallet falls out of round 1 (which he won't, he'll be gone in the top 12), he'll never make it past pick 33.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ramius - I wish more posters would look into the backgrounds of the...ahem... ' columnists ' whose opinions some post on TSW as gospel.

For the record...

Walter Cherepinsky was a senior at Central High School in Philadelphia when he created WalterFootball.com, which is now recognized as one of the top pro football sites in the country. Now 28 years old, his site garners over 50 million hits a year and he writes columns on fantasy football for USA Today Weekend during the NFL season. He currently makes over $100,000 a year from advertising revenue from his site. Links - Online Journalism Review, Huffington Post

I would guess that he's never met Ryan Mallett, nor any college players he purports to...ahem...' analyze ' :rolleyes:

For someone offering such a scathing assessment of Mallett's intellect, Cherensky is no MENSA candidate himself...

Interests (from Facebook)

Food

Eating Food

Being Fat

Drinking Until I Pass Out

Making Fun of People Less Fortunate Than Myself

An even better insight into the mind of this moron from MySpace...

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - The Survey

Name: Walt

Birthplace: NE Philly

Current Location: NE Philly

Eye Color: Green

Hair Color: Brown

Height: 5-8

Your Heritage: Russian

The Shoes You Wore Today: Sandals. I guess those aren't shoes.

Your Weakness: Taking pictures when I'm drunk, and starting fights at McDonalds.

Your Fears: Failure

Goal You Would Like To Achieve This Year: Get 10 million hits/month on my Web sites, publish book, sell movie scripts.

Your Most Overused Phrase On an instant messenger: mmmmmblehblehblehblehbleh.

Thoughts First Waking Up: Is it after noon?

Your Best Physical Feature: My huge ass.

Your Bedtime: Around 4 p.m.

Your Most Missed Memory: Recess in grade school

Pepsi or Coke: Pepsi -- gotta support Penn State

MacDonalds or Burger King: What the hell is MACdonalds, it's McDonalds, !@#$s.

Do you Swear: **** this

Do you Shower Daily: I try to

Do you want to go to College: I don't want to leave

Do you believe in yourself: No, I'm not real.

In the past month have you Drank Alcohol: I hope so

In the past month have you eaten a box of Oreos: I don't eat boxes

Ever been Drunk: Yeah

What do you want to be when you Grow Up: Sports Writer/on ATH/Author/Movie Writer

What country would you most like to Visit: USA

There ya go - you're probably looking at the future president of ESPN.

Folks, please take EVERYTHING you read by these so-called ' analysts ' and ' scouting experts ' with a grain (or box) of salt.

Edited by The Senator

I've actually never heard of Walterfootball

And your mind is all the better for that - you've missed absolutely nothing, except the self-indulgent egotistical ramblings of an extremely immature East Philly moron laughing all the way to the bank to cash the checks of his advertisers.

FWIW:

Ross Tucker's Twitter:

I spoke with one well-placed NFL source who is higher on Ryan Mallett than Andrew Luck. Said Luck has a "very average" NFL arm.

Link

Tucker is obviously knowledgeable and extremely credible - I hope the ' well-placed source ' that he spoke with was Buddy Nix! :thumbsup:

Edited by The Senator

Many people on here are fans and I hear many great things about his arm. However, I also hear the guy likes to throw a lot of interceptions when under pressure. And since we know he won't get any pressure in Buffalo, I have no concerns at all about that :unsure:

But in all seriousness. I don't think we will get Luck, if only because good things like that don't happen to the Bills and we have an owner who won't pull the trigger on the necessary steps to get him.

With that, I'd be down for a trade back and using a later first on Mallet, if he is what people think he is. I'm going to watch this game as open minded as possible.

I could live with Mallett he played well enough to beat Ohio State which is as close to an NFL Defense as you can get in college. The Bills will need to address offensive line problems since he is below average in mobility. He has a cannon for an arm though.

I could live with Mallett he played well enough to beat Ohio State which is as close to an NFL Defense as you can get in college. The Bills will need to address offensive line problems since he is below average in mobility. He has a cannon for an arm though.

:unsure:

Thanks for pointing that out, Ramius - I wish more posters would look into the backgrounds of the...ahem... ' columnists ' whose opinions some post on TSW as gospel.

For the record...

Walter Cherepinsky was a senior at Central High School in Philadelphia when he created WalterFootball.com, which is now recognized as one of the top pro football sites in the country. Now 28 years old, his site garners over 50 million hits a year and he writes columns on fantasy football for USA Today Weekend during the NFL season. He currently makes over $100,000 a year from advertising revenue from his site. Links - Online Journalism Review, Huffington Post

I would guess that he's never met Ryan Mallett, nor any college players he purports to...ahem...' analyze ' :rolleyes:

For someone offering such a scathing assessment of Mallett's intellect, Cherensky is no MENSA candidate himself...

Interests (from Facebook)

Food

Eating Food

Being Fat

Drinking Until I Pass Out

Making Fun of People Less Fortunate Than Myself

An even better insight into the mind of this moron from MySpace...

TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF - The Survey

Name: Walt

Birthplace: NE Philly

Current Location: NE Philly

Eye Color: Green

Hair Color: Brown

Height: 5-8

Your Heritage: Russian

The Shoes You Wore Today: Sandals. I guess those aren't shoes.

Your Weakness: Taking pictures when I'm drunk, and starting fights at McDonalds.

Your Fears: Failure

Goal You Would Like To Achieve This Year: Get 10 million hits/month on my Web sites, publish book, sell movie scripts.

Your Most Overused Phrase On an instant messenger: mmmmmblehblehblehblehbleh.

Thoughts First Waking Up: Is it after noon?

Your Best Physical Feature: My huge ass.

Your Bedtime: Around 4 p.m.

Your Most Missed Memory: Recess in grade school

Pepsi or Coke: Pepsi -- gotta support Penn State

MacDonalds or Burger King: What the hell is MACdonalds, it's McDonalds, !@#$s.

Do you Swear: **** this

Do you Shower Daily: I try to

Do you want to go to College: I don't want to leave

Do you believe in yourself: No, I'm not real.

In the past month have you Drank Alcohol: I hope so

In the past month have you eaten a box of Oreos: I don't eat boxes

Ever been Drunk: Yeah

What do you want to be when you Grow Up: Sports Writer/on ATH/Author/Movie Writer

What country would you most like to Visit: USA

There ya go - you're probably looking at the future president of ESPN.

Folks, please take EVERYTHING you read by these so-called ' analysts ' and ' scouting experts ' with a grain (or box) of salt.

Thanks for this...I don't have a lot of time to research stuff like this, but I will certainly take his info (and all others) with a grain of salt.

Thanks for this...I don't have a lot of time to research stuff like this, but I will certainly take his info (and all others) with a grain of salt.

:thumbsup:

Certainly wasn't referring to you specifically, but the collective TSW board in general - a lot these schmoes have very slick sites but the authors/contributors are little more than average fans, and many posters don't realize that the opinions they're reading on those sites are often less well-informed than the ones you'll occasionally read right here from some TSW regulars.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

PosLUSZny!!!!! :beer:

Ross Tucker is almost always right

Go figure...a Princeton guy!

Tucker's grown to be an excellent sportswriter. He's accurate, articulate, knowledgable, and has great sources - I'd just like to know which ' high-level NFL personnel guy ' said that to him about Mallett.

(Again, I hope it was Nix.)

Edited by The Senator

Uh, did he not have three TD passes dropped or something? He can't throw to himself. Rinse, repeat.

I don't remember "almost TDs" counting in the actual score. You guys are funny.

I don't remember "almost TDs" counting in the actual score. You guys are funny.

That's the difference between "played well enough to win," and "won." You don't even have to like Mallet to believe that. Team game, always has been. You're way too smart to count wins as a QB stat, aren't you?

That's the difference between "played well enough to win," and "won." You don't even have to like Mallet to believe that. Team game, always has been. You're way too smart to count wins as a QB stat, aren't you?

I see it totally differently, man. He had the chance to play well enough to win. He had the game served up to him on a silver platter, and he choked it away.

I see it totally differently, man. He had the chance to play well enough to win. He had the game served up to him on a silver platter, and he choked it away.

I guess we do see it differently. To me, he and Knile Davis were the only reason they were in that game to begin with. OSU is bigger, faster and draws more refined recruits in just about every phase of the game. Their defense was harassing Mallet all day. I think 9/10 QBs would have crumbled - not gotten their team back to within 5 despite having lead-changing passes dropped on multiple occasions.

We'll agree to disagree.

I guess we do see it differently. To me, he and Knile Davis were the only reason they were in that game to begin with. OSU is bigger, faster and draws more refined recruits in just about every phase of the game. Their defense was harassing Mallet all day. I think 9/10 QBs would have crumbled - not gotten their team back to within 5 despite having lead-changing passes dropped on multiple occasions.

We'll agree to disagree.

See, that's just it. He plays well at times, obviously. If he didn't make a great throw from time to time, or pass for a lot of yards from time to time, he wouldn't be considered one of the top QBs in college. But when he has it there for the taking, he can't get it done. He sucks on 3rd down, he's not clutch at all, and he tends to throw picks at the worst possible time. I just don't consider that playing well enough to win...

See, that's just it. He plays well at times, obviously. If he didn't make a great throw from time to time, or pass for a lot of yards from time to time, he wouldn't be considered one of the top QBs in college. But when he has it there for the taking, he can't get it done. He sucks on 3rd down, he's not clutch at all, and he tends to throw picks at the worst possible time. I just don't consider that playing well enough to win...

Kelly would throw picks at the worst possible time, sometimes. Baffling ones. I'd take him again in a heartbeat. Look at the record and Mallett indeed plays well enough to win, most of the time.

Also, don't dropped passes have something to do with "sucking on 3rd down"?

I am not going to advocate drafting the guy at all costs, nor will I say he is a complete product at this point. I think he'd do well drafted later on (no way he makes it to R2 with Luck out of the equation), sitting behind a guy like Fitz for 1-2 years. But if they draft him at #3 because they decide they can address D in later picks, so be it. I'll be behind him and I think he has enough potential to be harnessed. I think the right time for a QB like him would be after many more need areas are addressed; it just doesn't always happen that way.

Kelly would throw picks at the worst possible time, sometimes. Baffling ones. I'd take him again in a heartbeat. Look at the record and Mallett indeed plays well enough to win, most of the time.

Also, don't dropped passes have something to do with "sucking on 3rd down"?

I am not going to advocate drafting the guy at all costs, nor will I say he is a complete product at this point. I think he'd do well drafted later on (no way he makes it to R2 with Luck out of the equation), sitting behind a guy like Fitz for 1-2 years. But if they draft him at #3 because they decide they can address D in later picks, so be it. I'll be behind him and I think he has enough potential to be harnessed. I think the right time for a QB like him would be after many more need areas are addressed; it just doesn't always happen that way.

Well, I guess we'll see how he turns out, man...But some of those arguments you're making are the same ones we heard about JP and Trent coming out of college. I remember Kiper talkign about how good Trent was, it was just that his receivers sucked, or his offensive line sucked, etc. Same with JP. I don't want another college QB we have to make excuses for as to why he fails in clutch situations. I want someone who can overcome that crap and get the job done.

Well, I guess we'll see how he turns out, man...But some of those arguments you're making are the same ones we heard about JP and Trent coming out of college. I remember Kiper talkign about how good Trent was, it was just that his receivers sucked, or his offensive line sucked, etc. Same with JP. I don't want another college QB we have to make excuses for as to why he fails in clutch situations. I want someone who can overcome that crap and get the job done.

I hear you. But I also want a receiver more clutch than Stevie Johnson. You've got to admit there's a difference throwing to Reggie Wayne.

I hear you. But I also want a receiver more clutch than Stevie Johnson. You've got to admit there's a difference throwing to Reggie Wayne.

Oh yeah, I don't like a player who has the "dropsies" any more than I do one who has "fumble-itis" lol.

I'm just sick of sloppy football in general. Been too long since we had a team that could move the ball down the field without feeling the urge to kick themselves in the nuts every other down.

College success didn't work out so hot for Matt Leinart or JaMarcus Russell, to cherry pick a few easy names.

Citing correlations between QBs that struggle in the NFL and any trait that some of them possess is misleading. Most college QBs struggle at the NFL level. The sample size of QBs that have success is too small for this sort of comparison.

Consequently, a lot of people will speculate about the potential of players, and a lot of that speculation will be proven wrong later. These are the reasons that an average person is not a GM or scout, and that the first batch of picks aren't taken from the team that wins the BCS.

edit: Looking back, the bluntness of that comment that came out more smart-ass than I intended. The point was that there is a reason to not put all the emphasis of player evaluation on wins, not to make an insult.

Edited by Grimace

College success didn't work out so hot for Matt Leinart or JaMarcus Russell, to cherry pick a few easy names.

Citing correlations between QBs that struggle in the NFL and any trait that some of them possess is misleading. Most college QBs struggle at the NFL level. The sample size of QBs that have success is too small for this sort of comparison.

Consequently, a lot of people will speculate about the potential of players, and a lot of that speculation will be proven wrong later. These are the reasons that an average person is not a GM or scout, and that the first batch of picks aren't taken from the team that wins the BCS.

edit: Looking back, the bluntness of that comment that came out more smart-ass than I intended. The point was that there is a reason to not put all the emphasis of player evaluation on wins, not to make an insult.

I'm not putting all the emphasis on wins. My assessment of Mallett is based primarly on his tendency to choke in pressure situations and his level of football retardation.