LB's Batten- Merriman-Poz-Moats !!!

T master

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be very upset if Poz isnt resigned. He is a such a good LB with very little help around him in the Front 7. I would like that group Opening Day 2011.

How is Poz a good LB? He can't shed blocks on runs, make tackles eight yards down field, too slow on bliz and can't cover anyone.

Well i just read on BB.com that the Bills resigned Shawn Merriman for next year. So with the emergence of Moats this year & i believe that signing Poz will or at least should be a priority . Then throw in Batten coming back off of IR .

Batten - Merriman - Poz - Moats - ? should make a pretty good LB corp !

I know that's not the position as far as the way i have them in the line above but who else might be a decent fit ?? Kelsay played better toward the end of the year & wouldn't be bad but i know what Bills fans have written about him this year . So at best i think he's a good depth player .

Merriman will have a whole offseason & more to get healthy , & if he can get back to even half of what he was he will be an upgrade,

just in his leadership alone !!

So fill in the blanks or line them up the way you would if you were the D coach . But i think our line backing corp will be much better next year than this !!!!

sounds pretty good Mr. Brandon! :thumbsup:

Can I ask why everyone is so high on Batten? I'm not saying we should or shouldn't be, just curious where the enthusiasm is coming from

He's a Buddy Nix draft pick. And because Nix once upon a time drafted Shaun Phillips and Shawne Merriman, it's guaranteed he'll be solid. Buddy is awesome and is the smartest guy in the room.

Seriously, a friend of mine does TV sports in the Dakotas. Said Batten will be a player, but must admit he played I-AA and hasn't proven anything in the pros. Banking on late round rookies as impact players is not a reliable way to build a team.

Cue the guy who says Moats was a 6th rounder.

I would like to see at least one more LB brought in both in the draft and free agency.......and we dont know what we are going to get with batten yet. We absolutely should NOT be counting on Merrimen until he shows he can stay healthy

+1

Second one today for John. He's dead nuts on this. We need LB talent and we should draft for it and hit FA for it. If the guys named by the OP work out, great. We could use depth at that spot.

Im gonna play devils advocate here, sorry in advance for the wet towel effect.

Batten- hasn't shown anything in NFL game yet. Hope he's good, but we dont know.

Merriman- hasn't stayed healthy enough to practice much as a Bill. hope he heals up, but we dont know.

Poz- hopefully they re-sign him, and he either plays better behind improved D-line, or he's good interim/depth in future.

Moats- Dont cross him. i like him, hope he continues to improve. pencil him in.

I believe we need 3 new LB'ers.

+1

I too hope Batten is a find but if he contribute next year on ST would be great. Listening to Gailey season ending PC, I can see Merriman (if healthy, BIG IF) playing situational pass rusher. But we really need at least a FA ILB & hopefully a playmaker in the draft to make this a decent unit.

MY WISHLIST FOR DEFENSE:

OLB- Merriman, Moats

ILB- Poz, FA- D. Martin (Jets)

I would like to start off with Merriman initially then play the 2 or 3 rd pick at OLB (hopefully Akeem Ayers)and use the former situationally or in the multi sets that Gailey spoke of...

I don't know where you have been, but OLB-ILB have been talked about a ton. I have LB as a major priority for the Bills ---P2 for OLB and ILB on DraftTek, and OLB is set at Multiple M3, which means it's our highest priority and we are willing to take more than one OLB, and take the 2nd one as early as RD3.

I've been right here. All I hear is Luck-Newton-Fairley-Dareus-Bowers and sometimes Mallet and Gabbert. No real discussion on LB prospects. I guess we can scoop up the future stars of our 3-4 defense in the later rounds of the draft or as UDFAs. Funny thing, the last time the Bills played a 3-4 I remember some high draft picks at LB like Bennett, Conlan and Talley.

Edited by vincec

+1

I too hope Batten is a find but if he contribute next year on ST would be great. Listening to Gailey season ending PC, I can see Merriman (if healthy, BIG IF) playing situational pass rusher. But we really need at least a FA ILB & hopefully a playmaker in the draft to make this a decent unit.

MY WISHLIST FOR DEFENSE:

OLB- Merriman, Moats

ILB- Poz, FA- D. Martin (Jets)

I would like to start off with Merriman initially then play the 2 or 3 rd pick at OLB (hopefully Akeem Ayers)and use the former situationally or in the multi sets that Gailey spoke of...

Do you mean Harris? Love him, but might be too much.

Ayers would be awesome too, but we'd have to trade back into the 1st to get him.

Well i just read on BB.com that the Bills resigned Shawn Merriman for next year. So with the emergence of Moats this year & i believe that signing Poz will or at least should be a priority . Then throw in Batten coming back off of IR .

Batten - Merriman - Poz - Moats - ? should make a pretty good LB corp !

I know that's not the position as far as the way i have them in the line above but who else might be a decent fit ?? Kelsay played better toward the end of the year & wouldn't be bad but i know what Bills fans have written about him this year . So at best i think he's a good depth player .

Merriman will have a whole offseason & more to get healthy , & if he can get back to even half of what he was he will be an upgrade,

just in his leadership alone !!

So fill in the blanks or line them up the way you would if you were the D coach . But i think our line backing corp will be much better next year than this !!!!

Isn't this a lineup of one ILB and 3 OLBs? I don't mean to offend, but I don't understand this.

Funny thing, the last time the Bills played a 3-4 I remember some high draft picks at LB like Bennett, Conlan and Talley.

Bennett was FA

ok. so who's the guys in charge of coverage? Poz? He was horrible this year.

they're still trying to figure that one out :)

Isn't this a lineup of one ILB and 3 OLBs? I don't mean to offend, but I don't understand this.

absolutely correct. Altho, Batten has been studying ILB, but played OLB in camp.

Edited by dgrid

Bennett was FA

Bennett was drafted #2 overall by the Colts and then traded to the Bills in a 3 way trade that included the Bills #1 pick the following year and Greg Bell. The Bills gave up a #1 pick, plus a very solid RB for him.

I would be very upset if Poz isnt resigned. He is a such a good LB with very little help around him in the Front 7. I would like that group Opening Day 2011.

I would be totally upset if we kept Poz especially on the heels of throwing money away at Kelsey.

Poz is a liability in the heart of our defense. The sooner he is replaced the better our defense will be.

He is just too soft. Can't stop the run at the point of impact. Can't cover tight ends. Can't shed blocks but boy can he sell t-shirts.

Edited by VADC Bills

I would be totally upset if we kept Poz especially on the heels of throwing money away at Kelsey.

Poz is a liability in the heart of our defense. The sooner he is replaced the better our defense will be.

He is just too soft. Can't stop the run at the point of impact. Can't cover tight ends. Can't shed blocks but boy can he sell t-shirts.

Ya -- how many times did we see Poz running behind a tight-end on his way into the end zone this season? Far, far too many.

We're forgetting a few guys.

We IR'd 7 guys total:

Andra Davis (who will be back and will start. lots of folk have forgotten about this guy)

Danny Batten (unproven thus far, who knows if he's any good)

Antonio Coleman (was making progress before injury)

Keith Ellison (ugh.)

Shawne Merriman (you know the deal)

John Russell (uhh...)

and... REGGIE TORBOR (probably just a depth guy)