LB's Batten- Merriman-Poz-Moats !!!

T master

Well i just read on BB.com that the Bills resigned Shawn Merriman for next year. So with the emergence of Moats this year & i believe that signing Poz will or at least should be a priority . Then throw in Batten coming back off of IR .

Batten - Merriman - Poz - Moats - ? should make a pretty good LB corp !

I know that's not the position as far as the way i have them in the line above but who else might be a decent fit ?? Kelsay played better toward the end of the year & wouldn't be bad but i know what Bills fans have written about him this year . So at best i think he's a good depth player .

Merriman will have a whole offseason & more to get healthy , & if he can get back to even half of what he was he will be an upgrade,

just in his leadership alone !!

So fill in the blanks or line them up the way you would if you were the D coach . But i think our line backing corp will be much better next year than this !!!!

Edited by T master

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im gonna play devils advocate here, sorry in advance for the wet towel effect.

Batten- hasn't shown anything in NFL game yet. Hope he's good, but we dont know.

Merriman- hasn't stayed healthy enough to practice much as a Bill. hope he heals up, but we dont know.

Poz- hopefully they re-sign him, and he either plays better behind improved D-line, or he's good interim/depth in future.

Moats- Dont cross him. i like him, hope he continues to improve. pencil him in.

I believe we need 3 new LB'ers.

Edited by dgrid

Well i just read on BB.com that the Bills resigned Shawn Merriman for next year. So with the emergence of Moats this year & i believe that signing Poz will or at least should be a priority . Then throw in Batten coming back off of IR .

I know that's not the position as far as the way i have them in the line above but who else might be a decent fit ?? Kelsay played better toward the end of the year & wouldn't be bad but i know what Bills fans have written about him this year . So at best i think he's a good depth player .

Merriman will have a whole offseason & more to get healthy , & if he can get back to even half of what he was he will be an upgrade,

So fill in the blanks or line them up the way you would if you were the D coach . But i think our line backing corp will be much better next year than this !!!!

Next years LBs Woodley, Moats, Upshaw, Merriman

I actually thought Kelsay played well down the stretch, he was in on a bunch more plays. It was the move back to more 43 fronts that really helped him. If it is going to be the 34 as a base defense he really doesn't fit as he proved at the beginning of the season.

Unproven....Washed up....slow..... and soon to be Great. Sounds awesome !!

I couldn't disagree with your optimism more strongly. Batten was injured even before his first training camp and now he's a starter?

Merriman was injured 15 minutes into his first practice and hasn't produced anything in over 3 years.

I watched Poz very closely the last 2 games and I don't see a 3-4 ILB. He is weak at the point of attack and poor in coverage. The only plays I saw him make at or near the LOS were when he was completely unblocked. Maybe he could be a decent 4-3 OLB with some work on his coverage skills as he is fast and an OK pass rusher, but I don't see how he fits into the Bills D.

Moats has shown some signs, but he has a long way to go to be a dominating 3-4 OLB. Plus he is somewhat small for the position.

LB isn't getting talked about much in the draft speculation but the LBs are the core of the 3-4 defense and the Bills don't have one championship caliber player at these positions yet. I would like to see at least at least one of the top 3 picks on a LB. Maybe even the top pick on Quinn.

Can I ask why everyone is so high on Batten? I'm not saying we should or shouldn't be, just curious where the enthusiasm is coming from

had a good training camp.

and maybe cause he has cool name.

I couldn't disagree with your optimism more strongly. Batten was injured even before his first training camp and now he's a starter?

Merriman was injured 15 minutes into his first practice and hasn't produced anything in over 3 years.

I watched Poz very closely the last 2 games and I don't see a 3-4 ILB. He is weak at the point of attack and poor in coverage. The only plays I saw him make at or near the LOS were when he was completely unblocked. Maybe he could be a decent 4-3 OLB with some work on his coverage skills as he is fast and an OK pass rusher, but I don't see how he fits into the Bills D.

Moats has shown some signs, but he has a long way to go to be a dominating 3-4 OLB. Plus he is somewhat small for the position.

LB isn't getting talked about much in the draft speculation but the LBs are the core of the 3-4 defense and the Bills don't have one championship caliber player at these positions yet. I would like to see at least at least one of the top 3 picks on a LB. Maybe even the top pick on Quinn.

I don't know where you have been, but OLB-ILB have been talked about a ton. I have LB as a major priority for the Bills ---P2 for OLB and ILB on DraftTek, and OLB is set at Multiple M3, which means it's our highest priority and we are willing to take more than one OLB, and take the 2nd one as early as RD3.

Improving will take replacing todays bad players with better players.

Sure, go ahead and sign these four but then please bring in three better players because that is the only way to improve is to improve.

It been so bad for so long that Buffalo fans actually think that Batten (never played in the NFL), Merriman (injured and highly questionable), Poz (cannot cover and is average at best) and, Moats (still a work inprocess) is actually a good quartet?

I expect to see an OLB and a ILB drafted in the first 4 rounds. I also hope we bring in some help via free agency.

Can I ask why everyone is so high on Batten? I'm not saying we should or shouldn't be, just curious where the enthusiasm is coming from

Cause he killed it in training camp against other rookie and street free agents. It's where legends are made. ;)

Another thing about Batten that scares me is that I've read the Bills are training him to play the ILB spot. Thats what they did with Moats and many can remember how he looked in coverage during the preseason. So that would be DE in college, OLB during camp, and now ILB.

Seriously though, if Poz is resigned, then you can have him, Moats, and Merriman as 3 out of 4 LBs hypothetically. A free agent (David Harris, a long shot, I know) would alleviate a major need and allow it to be used on the lines. Makes almost too much sense, I know.

So much commentary here is actually wishful thinking. There are many names thrown around here about players who should start for the Bills. These are the same players that wouldn't make the team for any of the contenders.

The Bills have fallen so far and the talent level is so low that almost anybody with a pulse looks like a good fit for the Bills.

The Colts have made the playoffs nine straight years and the Bills have not made the playoffs in eleven years. Coincidence?

Bottom line: until the Bills have a new owner with new management the future is mediocre at best. Mediocre coaches and players combined with bad management and ownership have cursed this franchise.