American Idol Season 10

ajzepp

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

You can't bail on me now,man!!!!

I saw your comments about Simon phoning it in... can you blame him when he had to sit next to that idiot Kara? And then they dump his girl Paula for friggin' Ellen? :ph34r:

Even if Simon was leaving anyways, I would've paid Paula + brought her back, then have Bret Michaels take Simon's spot. Way better fit than Tyler IMO, and I'm not a J-HO fan at all.

... but I will watch the first show anyways just in case. :D

I saw your comments about Simon phoning it in... can you blame him when he had to sit next to that idiot Kara? And then they dump his girl Paula for friggin' Ellen? :ph34r:

Even if Simon was leaving anyways, I would've paid Paula + brought her back, then have Bret Michaels take Simon's spot. Way better fit than Tyler IMO, and I'm not a J-HO fan at all.

... but I will watch the first show anyways just in case. :D

lol okay good, one show is acceptable :thumbsup:

I definitely understand your point about Simon...I just had seen some clips from seasons past, and it reminded me just how awesome he used to be. He never cared about saying exactly what was on his mind, and he never thought twice about saying something that would make someone cry...that was great TV! lol I don't know if it was the producers responding to all the criticism of how "mean" he was or whatever, but it just seemed like the last season or two Simon changed. He just didn't seem to really care as much anymore or something. It was like when they told the Springer show that the contestants weren't allowed to physically fight anymore or the show would be sued or whatever...just wasn't the same.

Hopefully when the X-factor starts up this fall, Simon will be back to his old self, cause I miss that guy lol

Okay, so here are some thoughts about the first show of the season...

As I said earlier, in a way I'm actually glad that Simon (and Kara, and Ellen) aren't on the show anymore. I really didn't enjoy much about last season, save for the Pants on the Ground guy. The show really felt stale, and it struggled to keep my interest. When I first heard that Steven Tyler and J-Lo were hosting this year, my first thought was, "it just won't be the same without Simon". Well, tonight I was actually pleasantly surprised. I didn't get the feeling that anyone was trying to replace Simon, which was good. I thought Steven Tyler came off as genuinely interested in the show and the contestants, and there were a few times when he not only made me laugh, but he also had the camera crew cracking up.

The show's opening really put things into perspective. When you think about it, Tyler and Lopez are two of the most successful stars ever. The success they've had in their careers to this point is nothing short of enormous, and I think that brings a great deal of credibility to the show. I also think it puts Randy in the position of battling an inferiority complex, lol. I felt as though this was more of a passing of the torch than it was a "replacement" of any kind, and I liked that. The chemistry was very good, and the whole thing felt pretty natural.

I'm not really the show's target demographic anymore, so this is a moot point to a degree, but when they said they had a lot of young talent, they weren't kidding. It felt more like an audition for something on the Disney channel than it did American Idol at times. The good thing is that some of the folks they showcased today did have some talent, although I wasn't really blown away by any of them. I thought the pace of the show was pretty good, though, so it held my attention for the entire two hours (although I did cheat by watching it on DVR playback, so got to skip commercials.)

So, all in all, thumbs up for the show so far...hopefully it gets even better from here, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet. Even though this is still the highest rated show on television in terms of its viewership, I really would be surprised if it lasted more than another few seasons.

Anyone out there watch it? Comments? Rico? Lana?

I definitely miss Simon, but that is somewhat offset by Kara and Ellen being kicked to the curb in favor of Tyler and JLo. Ellen was absolutely useless and Kara came across as a know-it-all B word who thought she could become the Simon's equal on the show.

We'll see how things play out when they get to Hollywood.

Watching Steven Tyler hit on every single female contestant was funny. After watching the people sing, i'm convinced that there is no more singing talent in the states. Idol has tapped the country dry.

I'll add one caveat. There were a couple of young kids that could sing, but could really use to wait a few years until their voice grows or fills out.

Ugh.....I think American Idol is in serious trouble.

There were some people who were not very good and that means they made it through 3 rounds in order to be on the TV round....these folks obviously did not come through the LA Auditions where they were turning away som VERY good talent.

There is no crying in baseball....there also is no crying as a performing artist.

The auditions are my favorite part of the show, so of course I watched it. :) I loved the energy that Tyler brought to the show. Not too keen on JLo yet. She annoyed me a little. Maybe she'll turn into another Paula. :lol:

I have already picked the winner. Can you guess which one it was? :D

I tend to feel as Ramius does, that so much of the undiscovered talent in this country has been unearthed. I think that's why Idol lowered the age on the show to 15. It may pay off for them, cause I've heard that there are a lot of younger kids with strong talent, but not sure anyone has really knocked it out of the park yet. That being said, part of what makes Idol interesting for me is watching them take someone and mold them into a marketable performer. There was a kid on the show tonight that might be such a prospect.

I don't remember his name, but the carrot top kid has the potential to be a Clay Aiken type of story. He may just fizzle out, but this is the sort of nerd who the Idol folks can really mold into something completely different. The folks on this show are experts at enhancing the images of these contestants, and this kid may have enough raw materials present to really end up being a fan favorite. He also seems like a pretty good dude, so he's one of my early favorites. I don't know if he's the milkman's kid or what, but when you look at his parents (especially his looks-like-markie-post-but-hotter mom) it seems odd Dathat this would be what their kid looks like. Maybe Conan O'brien sneaked into the mom's bed late one night and hit it? I dunno...

I was trying to enjoy a relatively entertaining show tonight, when they had to tell that story of the young girl whose daughter was special needs. To think that docs told her to abort the kid, and she was brave enough to stick it out and give birth to what is healthy little girl with some hearing loss, it was really an emotional tale. She has a pleasant voice, but definitely don't see a superstar in the making. The one girl that came out and gave Randy those pics from his high school days had some talent...with some coaching, she might end up being pretty good. And how bout The Dawg being a fellow shot-putter?? To think that he was active with the two sports (track and football) that were most important to me in HS made me like him even more :thumbsup:

Not quite as funny as last night's show, but I still enjoyed it. I just hope they have some better talent on the horizon!

EDIT: BTW, if the producers were smart, when that chubby kid with the decent voice auditioned back when this was filmed (late summer? early fall?) they should have hooked him up with a pediatric nutritionist or something. If that kid lost some weight, he would appeal to the Justin Beiber market for sure.

Edited by ajzepp

I dunno, I think I was Carrot Top that sneaked in. But this kid's voice was kinda cool sounding. Had a distinct sound.

I hope Crest white strips will donate some whitening strips for some of these contestants. Do kids brush their teeth these days?? :unsure:

I'm one and done. J-Ho was a huge improvement, but she was the only one I liked. Tyler just looks too scary these days, especially in HD... I was appalled. I think I would rather watch Winter Wipeout instead. :lol:

I'm one and done. J-Ho was a huge improvement, but she was the only one I liked. Tyler just looks too scary these days, especially in HD... I was appalled. I think I would rather watch Winter Wipeout instead. :lol:

:angry:

The clock is ticking on when a major news outlet runs the Steven Tyler emancipated a 14 yr old girl, got her pregnant, aborted baby, returned her to parents story. Shocked that Fox hired him with this in his past and teen contestants and that demographic.

BTW, did not know that story until recently.

Tyler looks like an ape. I keep waiting for him to start jumping around like a monkey making monkey noises. :lol:

Okay, so here are some thoughts about the first show of the season...

As I said earlier, in a way I'm actually glad that Simon (and Kara, and Ellen) aren't on the show anymore. I really didn't enjoy much about last season, save for the Pants on the Ground guy. The show really felt stale, and it struggled to keep my interest. When I first heard that Steven Tyler and J-Lo were hosting this year, my first thought was, "it just won't be the same without Simon". Well, tonight I was actually pleasantly surprised. I didn't get the feeling that anyone was trying to replace Simon, which was good. I thought Steven Tyler came off as genuinely interested in the show and the contestants, and there were a few times when he not only made me laugh, but he also had the camera crew cracking up.

The show's opening really put things into perspective. When you think about it, Tyler and Lopez are two of the most successful stars ever. The success they've had in their careers to this point is nothing short of enormous, and I think that brings a great deal of credibility to the show. I also think it puts Randy in the position of battling an inferiority complex, lol. I felt as though this was more of a passing of the torch than it was a "replacement" of any kind, and I liked that. The chemistry was very good, and the whole thing felt pretty natural. I'm not really the show's target demographic anymore, so this is a moot point to a degree, but when they said they had a lot of young talent, they weren't kidding. It felt more like an audition for something on the Disney channel than it did American Idol at times. The good thing is that some of the folks they showcased today did have some talent, although I wasn't really blown away by any of them. I thought the pace of the show was pretty good, though, so it held my attention for the entire two hours (although I did cheat by watching it on DVR playback, so got to skip commercials.)

So, all in all, thumbs up for the show so far...hopefully it gets even better from here, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet. Even though this is still the highest rated show on television in terms of its viewership, I really would be surprised if it lasted more than another few seasons.

Have to disagree with you aj. After watching the first two episodes, I feel that losing Simon has left a big void. There were a few contestants that got through to Hollywood that did'nt deserve it. I am glad that the show is back to three judges, four was just too many. While the loss of Kara & Ellen are a good thing, I feel that Tyler & Lopez are only moderate upgrades.

I really think Idol would've done better had they picked Harry Connick, JR. or Brett Michaels would have made great judges. I also think they shuld've gone after Shania Twain or Kristen Chenoweth as well.

Steven Tyler looks like he is having fun and he does have the credentials for the job. I think Jennifer Lopez has little to offer. Her acting career is in the dumpster("Gigli" & "The Wedding Planner") and her singing career was not exactly an enduring one.

Simon's no-nonsense approach is what is really missing from this year's show.

As for the contestants, so far I have seen a few people that look to have real talent and I am hoping for a rebound from last year's disastrous season, which was probably the worst season since Season 1. I will keep watching because I enjoy Idol, but boy do I miss Simon.

Have to disagree with you aj. After watching the first two episodes, I feel that losing Simon has left a big void. There were a few contestants that got through to Hollywood that did'nt deserve it. I am glad that the show is back to three judges, four was just too many. While the loss of Kara & Ellen are a good thing, I feel that Tyler & Lopez are only moderate upgrades.

I really think Idol would've done better had they picked Harry Connick, JR. or Brett Michaels would have made great judges. I also think they shuld've gone after Shania Twain or Kristen Chenoweth as well.

Steven Tyler looks like he is having fun and he does have the credentials for the job. I think Jennifer Lopez has little to offer. Her acting career is in the dumpster("Gigli" & "The Wedding Planner") and her singing career was not exactly an enduring one.

Simon's no-nonsense approach is what is really missing from this year's show.

As for the contestants, so far I have seen a few people that look to have real talent and I am hoping for a rebound from last year's disastrous season, which was probably the worst season since Season 1. I will keep watching because I enjoy Idol, but boy do I miss Simon.

Cool man, I appreciate you chiming in :thumbsup: The good news is that we'll get Simon back in a few months, so hopefully he'll be back to form on X-Factor like he was on Idol. It never really bothers me who goes to Hollywood, cause that week (HOllywood week) is usually my favorite part of the season. I really enjoy when all the Divas - both male and female - start arguing, everyone is fighting, and it's like one big circus event. I definitely agree that there have been no REALLY talented people yet...just a bunch of teens who can carry a tune is about the best we've seen. Hopefully there is better talent to be had, cause I saw some article a while ago where Nigel Lythgoe was saying how there are a few really good folks. He's typically a positive person, but I never really felt like he was the type to blow sunshine up our butts. I guess we'll see though.

Glad you're sticking it out this season...I may need to send some men in dark suits and sunglasses to Rico's house in order to keep him participating. :devil:

I may need to send some men in dark suits and sunglasses to Rico's house in order to keep him participating. :devil:

:D

Not gonna happen. It was never about discovering new "talent" for me... it was about seeing certain idiots like the wife-killer Gokey getting their dreams crushed on national TV. :lol: No Simon & a nicer Idol just doesn't cut it for me.

:D

Not gonna happen. It was never about discovering new "talent" for me... it was about seeing certain idiots like the wife-killer Gokey getting their dreams crushed on national TV. :lol: No Simon & a nicer Idol just doesn't cut it for me.

DAMMIT Rico...

Actually, I see what you're saying. I can't say I blame ya.

Do you feel guilty enough about letting your TBD buddy down that you want to join our poker club to make up for your cold, heartless abandonment? 0:)