with the 3rd pick in the NFL Draft.....

papazoid

My personal choices in order:

1. Fairley - obvious

2. Dareus - obvious

3. Newton - assuming both Fairley and Dareus are off the board to Carolina and Denver, then I think the FO will have to change gears on the fly and grab our QB of the future. Im not sold on Bowers or Quinn. At this draft spot we should not have to take the THIRD best player at a position, you need TOP talent at #3. I see Buddy getting the perfect QB for Gailey's offense. I also wouldnt be surprised if we go Carimi at #3 if those 2 DLs are off the board (or whoever the top OT ends up being after the combine).

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming Fairley will be gone at 3 i would take Dareus. I'm not opposed to trading down a few spots if a QB desperate team trades up to our spot we still could end up with Dareus,i also like Quinn and Heyward but not at 3. I don't like Newton, 1 great college season is just to big of a gamble, he has bust written all over him.

• 3 weeks later...

If Luck comes out the Bills should break the bank and try to get him. It's been since '96 since this team had a franchise QB. Long overdue!! I know there are plenty of needs but I say a QB should be numero UNO!

You live under a rock ?? Luck is staying in school he ain't coming out this year hang it up were going in a different direction !!! It's called defense !!

You live under a rock ?? Luck is staying in school he ain't coming out this year hang it up were going in a different direction !!! It's called defense !!

Uh, you do realize you are quoting somebody from January 2nd?

• 3 weeks later...

Papa's Big Board.....updated 2/26/11

#1- Fairley

#2- Dareus

#3- Quinn

#4- Green

#5- Peterson

#6- Bowers

#7- Miller

I would tend to agree with this list, wouldn't mind seeing Watt on there as well. I would love to see a draft strategy that our war room has a list of 5-6 players that they would be happy selecting at #3. Then trade down when the majority of your list is still there, which it will because only two picks before us. I like the trade down to 5 or 7, and then re-evaluate. Are 3 or more of those players still available at #5? Then see if someone from the 8 or 9 spot is itching to come down, etc. I think with this being such a deep draft (at least in DE, LB), the true value of a #3 pick is how many picks in the first 2-3 rounds can it generate. If we walked away from the draft with 3 defensive players (DE, LB) and a RT or TE that all are capable of starting in year 1, I would be happy.

Trade down and pick up an additional 2nd round pick with San Francisco or a team above. then draft

1. DE Cameron Jordan. California.

2a. ILB Akeem Ayers. UCLA

2b. OLB Justin Houston. Georgia

3. QB Christian Ponder. Florida St.

4a. OT Marcus Gilbert. Florida

4b. SS Dom DeCicco. Pittsburgh

5. TE Juilus Thomas. Portland St.

6. RB Craig Cooper. Miami

7. DE David Carter. UCLA

Round 1: DE Da'Quan Bowers/Robert Quinn

Round 2: This pick is the toughest...best QB available the Bills want? If Locker/Mallet/Ponder/Kaepernick if the Bills want to draft a QB.

Round 3: OT Marcus Cannon/Jason Pinkston

Round 4a: ILB Colin McCarthy

Round 4b: SS Jeron Johnson

Round 5: DE Markus White

Round 6: CB Justin Rogers

Round 7: DT Anthony Gray

UDFA: K Josh Jasper (~84% accuary throughout college - will be good to be the eventual kicker in buffalo), WR Tori Gurley (not sure why he left school as a redshirt sophomore, but with his size maybe he can translate to a tight end), ILB Alex Wujciak (underrated maryland linebacker, might go as high as round 6), OLB Kenny Rowe (small frame, 1-down pass rusher translates to limited ability in the nfl - projects well to special teams, hard hitter), OG Ricky Henry (solid interior lineman), OL Adam Grant (swing tackle, possible move to interior lineman - versatile)

Round 1: DE Da'Quan Bowers/Robert Quinn

Round 2: This pick is the toughest...best QB available the Bills want? If Locker/Mallet/Ponder/Kaepernick if the Bills want to draft a QB.

Round 3: OT Marcus Cannon/Jason Pinkston

Round 4a: ILB Colin McCarthy

Round 4b: SS Jeron Johnson

Round 5: DE Markus White

Round 6: CB Justin Rogers

Round 7: DT Anthony Gray

UDFA: K Josh Jasper (~84% accuary throughout college - will be good to be the eventual kicker in buffalo), WR Tori Gurley (not sure why he left school as a redshirt sophomore, but with his size maybe he can translate to a tight end), ILB Alex Wujciak (underrated maryland linebacker, might go as high as round 6), OLB Kenny Rowe (small frame, 1-down pass rusher translates to limited ability in the nfl - projects well to special teams, hard hitter), OG Ricky Henry (solid interior lineman), OL Adam Grant (swing tackle, possible move to interior lineman - versatile)

not to nitpick, b/c everyone does, but Cannon lasting until round 3????? id wet my pantsss

Gurley left college because hes stupid and cant hack classes

I really just hope we add James Carpenter. 2nd, 3rd, 4th round, whenever. I have watched him all year and he is routinely one of the best tackles, whether its game action, at the Sr Bowl, or at the Combine, he is at the top. I dont know why other people dont like him but he is gonna be a great Olineman.

Edited by Thoner7

I really just hope we add James Carpenter. 2nd, 3rd, 4th round, whenever. I have watched him all year and he is routinely one of the best tackles, whether its game action, at the Sr Bowl, or at the Combine, he is at the top. I dont know why other people dont like him but he is gonna be a great Olineman.

I would take Carpenter in the 3rd as well. Or others if they fall. Gotta remember our third round pick is pick top 65ish

He was really good at the senior bowl from what I saw

Edited by Aloha22

IMO...Carpenter would be a nice addition if he lasted until the 4th round. To my knowledge, the "knock" on Carpenter is that while he excels in pass blocking, he leaves much to be desired in the run blocking game. Based on his skill set and measurables, he looks to be a prototypical LT in the NFL. Might be good for depth in the event that Bell gets injured, but isn't that what Wang is for?

As I posted numerous weeks ago, I don't see the fascination with Bowers. In fact, I recently saw video of Iowa's Adrian Clayborn and he and Bowers look like the exact same player to me…both really solid players, good relentlessness and all-around game, but a bit lacking in explosion.

Some see Bowers as a safe pick because he has a high floor. But if he also has a low ceiling (which IMO he does have), then the selection of a player like Bowers could be viewed as a possible bust pick…because he's the sort of player who might have a solid career and maybe make the Pro Bowl as an alternate during one or two years in his prime…but that's it.

Whoever the Bills select at #3, IMO has to have a very high ceiling. I would much rather go Quinn (because he could end up being the best player in the draft) than someone like Bowers who (along with Adrian Clayborn) remind me of another solid player, Tyson Jackson, who went 3rd overall to the Chiefs in 2009.

Tyson Jackson will be a good player but not a great player. I don't see him or Bowers or Clayborn being for instance, the next Richard Seymour, and that is minimally what I'd want from that player.

If the Bills retain their present draft position, I'm still wanting Dareus/Quinn or Quinn/Dareus.

As I posted numerous weeks ago, I don't see the fascination with Bowers. In fact, I recently saw video of Iowa's Adrian Clayborn and he and Bowers look like the exact same player to me…both really solid players, good relentlessness and all-around game, but a bit lacking in explosion.

Some see Bowers as a safe pick because he has a high floor. But if he also has a low ceiling (which IMO he does have), then the selection of a player like Bowers could be viewed as a possible bust pick…because he's the sort of player who might have a solid career and maybe make the Pro Bowl as an alternate during one or two years in his prime…but that's it.

Whoever the Bills select at #3, IMO has to have a very high ceiling. I would much rather go Quinn (because he could end up being the best player in the draft) than someone like Bowers who (along with Adrian Clayborn) remind me of another solid player, Tyson Jackson, who went 3rd overall to the Chiefs in 2009.

Tyson Jackson will be a good player but not a great player. I don't see him or Bowers or Clayborn being for instance, the next Richard Seymour, and that is minimally what I'd want from that player.

If the Bills retain their present draft position, I'm still wanting Dareus/Quinn or Quinn/Dareus.

Well I've been fortunate to see Bowers play first hand 3 times

Clemson vs. Maryland 2010

Clemson vs. N.C. State 2010

Clemson vs. South Carolina 2008

And I think he's the real deal

Well I've been fortunate to see Bowers play first hand 3 times

Clemson vs. Maryland 2010

Clemson vs. N.C. State 2010

Clemson vs. South Carolina 2008

And I think he's the real deal

Well I certainly can't say that my opinion is better than yours.

It'll be fun to see how this all shakes out.

+1

Quinn is a special player. He can put his hand in the dirt and play 4-3 DE, and I'm pretty confident that he would excel at OLB in the 3-4. I want Quinn or Dareus at #3.

Unless Carolina doesn't take Fairley, I can't see Bowers falling to us. Denver resigned Bailey to an extension so a CB seems to be a no at this point. They also have the worst pass rush in the league so Bowers would be their fit. I want Dareus if we stay at 3 and dont trade down. Quinn would be a good pick if we do.