Our o-line is really bad; Fitz's play made it better

jahnyc

One thing that was clear today is that Fitz's quick decision making, pocket awareness, and mobility have masked the problems on our o-line. RT is a disaster and needs upgrading. I know many have praised Bell's play this year, but I am still not convinced that he is a starting caliber LT.

The o-line needs to be addressed this offseason.

This team just gave up 276 yards rushing and you want to talk about the offensive line?

That has been common place with our defense. His point is valid, Fitz certainly makes the line better with his quick release, mobility and football smarts.

Brohm was bad, the Oline looked as bad as it has all year, our WRs were totally depleted, we've never had TEs to deplete,and our RBs are nothing special

moving to Defense our best player Kyle Williams got smacked around pretty good today

Lets face it we have to hit on a bunch of picks in the draft and bring in at least 2-3 good free agents just to get to average next year.

One thing that was clear today is that Fitz's quick decision making, pocket awareness, and mobility have masked the problems on our o-line. RT is a disaster and needs upgrading. I know many have praised Bell's play this year, but I am still not convinced that he is a starting caliber LT.

I totally agree, but please tell me that today is not the first day you realized this. It's old news. Funny how everyone grades our RBs so harshly when our line is a waste.

I'm witcha on both points.

Are you boys talking about the same Fitz who went 12-27 for 128 yards when he faced Rex Ryan's scheme at home?

Second time I've seen you reply with this same exact quote. Either it seems to me you might have a personal problem with Fitz or you expect every NFL starting quarterback to play perfectly all year.

BTW he did throw 2 TDS and no INT in that game.

Not making up for anything but we were missing two starters and its hard to look good with Brohm behind center. Our defensive front seven is what everyone should be fed up about.

This...if Fitz makes our O-Line play better than let's just play Fitz and go get some Front 7 help.

Are you boys talking about the same Fitz who went 12-27 for 128 yards when he faced Rex Ryan's scheme at home?

Simon, meaning no offense, just what are you trying to accomplish here?

In the game day thread, you seemed to be pouncing on anyone who commented on Brohm with personal insults.

You started a thread to invite examples of Brohm's poor play, jumped on the one response you got to debate (so what would be the point of trying to offer you examples?), then shut the thread.

Yes, it's the same Fitz. When you're citing the above, kindly include the information Fitz threw for 2 TD, had no INTs, and scrambled for 74 yards himself to keep drives alive. Most people would likely say that additional information indicates a somewhat better performance than Brohm's 10-23 for 106 YDS with 3 INT, 0 TD, and 0 yds rushing, not that either is anything to write up on the sports page.

I know which QB I start from the two games, your milage is welcome to vary.

Second time I've seen you reply with this same exact quote. Either it seems to me you might have a personal problem with Fitz or you expect every NFL starting quarterback to play perfectly all year.

BTW he did throw 2 TDS and no INT in that game.

And rushed 7 times for 10.6 yds per attempt. I remember at least one where he put his shoulder down and charged into a LB to get the 1st down. It's hard for the rest of the team to keep going through the motions next to a QB who plays that hard.

This team just gave up 276 yards rushing and you want to talk about the offensive line?

Yes, actually. We need to face up to all the problems here to improve.

Otherwise it's like complaining that your roof is leaking while ignoring the fact that your basement is flooding.

Somehow, you need to budget and plan to correct BOTH problems.

This season proves that more than likely you're not going to find quality OT's late in the draft, from the UDFA ranks, off the street, from other teams' practice squads or guys allowed to walk from Oakland.

One constant all season was Gailey's lack of confidence in the OL to run block. In many games they were one-dimensional and not good in short yardage. They must invest a high pick in a OT this season, because UFA doesn't yield much.

Simon, meaning no offense, just what are you trying to accomplish here?

There's a an awful lot of people calling Brohm's performance horrible, but unable to back up their "opinions" with any evidence. I didn't think he was that horrible today, particularly when you consider he hasn't really played all year and didn't get a single bit of support from the rest of his unit. It was sort of reminiscent of his start late last year when he was unfairly ragged on for not lighting it up with no help.

Just pointing out that when Saint Fitzpatrick played against this same scheme he threw for a similar completion % and yardage, and that was at home. As for those 2 TD's, at least one, and probably both, came on drives where the Jets were deployed in a prevent defense.

A quote from a recap of that game:

"Buffalo was so awful it managed 30 yards on its first four possessions, failed to register a first down on eight of 13 drives, and went 0 of 10 on third down. The Bills were thoroughly dominated in every phase of the game. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't complete a pass until there was just under seven minutes left in the first half, and it didn't get much better after that."

It's a difficult scheme to play against (unless your NE) and while Brohm didn't do much today, I think he's being unfairly ripped for a relatively neutral performance.

There's a an awful lot of people calling Brohm's performance horrible, but unable to back up their "opinions" with any evidence. I didn't think he was that horrible today, particularly when you consider he hasn't really played all year and didn't get a single bit of support from the rest of his unit. It was sort of reminiscent of his start late last year when he was unfairly ragged on for not lighting it up with no help.

Just pointing out that when Saint Fitzpatrick played against this same scheme he threw for a similar completion % and yardage, and that was at home. As for those 2 TD's, at least one, and probably both, came on drives where the Jets were deployed in a prevent defense.

A quote from a recap of that game:

"Buffalo was so awful it managed 30 yards on its first four possessions, failed to register a first down on eight of 13 drives, and went 0 of 10 on third down. The Bills were thoroughly dominated in every phase of the game. Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't complete a pass until there was just under seven minutes left in the first half, and it didn't get much better after that."

It's a difficult scheme to play against (unless your NE) and while Brohm didn't do much today, I think he's being unfairly ripped for a relatively neutral performance.

Ummm, by any measure anywhere and all due excuses aside....Brohm was horrible.

This...if Fitz makes our O-Line play better than let's just play Fitz and go get some Front 7 help.

We still gotta run the rock dammit. Front seven is #1 but you have to find at least a RT who can run block.

Just to be clear, I was making an observation about our o-line based on what happened today with Brohm starting instead of Fitz. There are many problems with this team, including the inability of the defense to stop the run. We will have no success until this is remedied.