Merriman extension sends wrong message to locker room

In theory, I get why Buddy would extend Merriman. Our pass rush is still developing and we are re-signing a veteran who has potential.

However, in practice, we have a long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be. Granted, we won't be re-signing everyone, but it definitely sends a message to guys in the locker room when Buddy re-signs someone who has yet to see the field. I think it says its better to be one of Buddy's guys instead of a Bills veteran. I wasn't a fan of the Kelsay contract, but at least it said if you work hard on the field, you will be rewarded.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you are saying....but what would you have Nix do....NOT SIGN HIM?

Take a look at the contract he took......only 2.5 million of that money is for certain. If he hit the open market there were be several teams that would take this exact same chance for so little risk.

I dont care about sending messages anymore....I want to win. Merrimen if he can make it back is a multiple pro bowl multiple sack year player with a ton of experience and is not very old.

Now lets go get a nasty defensive linemen to keep blockers off of Shawn and go to work

In theory, I get why Buddy would extend Merriman. Our pass rush is still developing and we are re-signing a veteran who has potential.

However, in practice, we have a long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be. Granted, we won't be re-signing everyone, but it definitely sends a message to guys in the locker room when Buddy re-signs someone who has yet to see the field. I think it says its better to be one of Buddy's guys instead of a Bills veteran. I wasn't a fan of the Kelsay contract, but at least it said if you work hard on the field, you will be rewarded.

I think it sends the message that we are not going to continue losing with the same people playing here. They are going to do what they can to try and get the right people in here, and if they continue to lose in spite of the efforts, it will at least be with different people doing the losing...

Only $2.5 million of Merriman's contract is guaranteed next year. It's not like Buddy gave him the massive contract Whitner thinks he deserves. Also, out of our "long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be", only two of them might have the opportunity to get sizable contracts from other teams - Posluzny and Whitner. As for the others, they will not cost much and it will just be a matter of whether Buddy wants to keep them or not.

Merriman has a pedigree the other players in the locker room don't have for the most part; even with all of his injuries the past couple seasons. Besides, what you say only bares truth if they don't resign some of the other veterans. Also you have to look at the amount of money the contract was for. Merriman got a contract with a lot of incentives. If Whitner wants to sign for 5 million he could have it tomorrow. Poz has to wait until after the season because of the 30% rule. Florence has a good chance of returning as well. The thing Merriman's signing does, along with Moats development and Batten's return is lets the Bills go DL or DB or QB with that first pick.

When I first saw the topic title, I thought to myself, "another negative thread for the sake of negativity." But after reading it I think you raise a valid point.

That said, I have to agree with John again…

Firstly the message is that "we are trying to win" and that we will make some calculated risks towards that end. On top of that, I think that we have to give some benefit of the doubt to Gailey/Nix that they know their business…that they have taken the temperature in the room towards Merriman…and that they've weighed all factors in making this decision.

I think when the Bills made this decision that they factored in the possible backlash in the locker room. I hope (and trust) that they made the right decision.

I get what you are saying....but what would you have Nix do....NOT SIGN HIM?

Take a look at the contract he took......only 2.5 million of that money is for certain. If he hit the open market there were be several teams that would take this exact same chance for so little risk.

I dont care about sending messages anymore....I want to win. Merrimen if he can make it back is a multiple pro bowl multiple sack year player with a ton of experience and is not very old.

Now lets go get a nasty defensive linemen to keep blockers off of Shawn and go to work

I agree with you...what kind of messege did it really send, we want to do whatever it takes to win? Isn't that the kind of GM you want? He doesn't get much money to work with so this was a no brainer....plus he isn't playing or anything so let the players on the field play the season out and worry about contracts later, the only one we really need to re-sign is Florence and Poz anyway and maybe Wilson over Whitner, so i think this was a good move and shows the locker room winners get rewarded you shouldn't get reward for just being a Bill. I want this team to win at all costs, and it seems Buddy does too. You go Buddy!

Only $2.5 million of Merriman's contract is guaranteed next year. It's not like Buddy gave him the massive contract Whitner thinks he deserves. Also, out of our "long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be", only two of them might have the opportunity to get sizable contracts from other teams - Posluzny and Whitner. As for the others, they will not cost much and it will just be a matter of whether Buddy wants to keep them or not.

I wish it were a little more "performance driven" contract. But there is probably nothing but upside at this point for us with the keeping of him.

And although i have been amazed before i would still be surprised that the coaches involved do not feel he can at least get on the field next year.

I think that if a better player can be found at any position on defense Chan will take a look. excepting our beloved Kyle.

Now lets go get a nasty defensive linemen to keep blockers off of Shawn and go to work.end quote

heck yes!

Edited by 3rdand12

I think it sends the message that we are not going to continue losing with the same people playing here. They are going to do what they can to try and get the right people in here, and if they continue to lose in spite of the efforts, it will at least be with different people doing the losing...

I agree, the message is the same as it was when they claimed him off waivers: that the Bills want to win and improve the team. Remember the comments from veteran players when the claim was made:

"We need more playmakers," Bills linebacker Chris Kelsay said Wednesday. "And if he can come in here and do that for us, we'll welcome him with open arms."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5760807

The message: A 3 time probowler, averaging almost 3/4 sack a game, who is still young, with a positive (per Nix) recovery prognosis is worth signing to an incentive laden contract that rewards performance and playing time also per Nix (which I presume indirectly assumes overcoming recent injuries)…

or paraphrased, if you are dominant and awesome for multiple years, but then have some injury issues the Bills may still give you a chance, but there will be performance contingencies .

Horrible message, just horrible…

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

the message...we need lb's and we just extended one that has been on the roster for a little while. this is a business and this team is taking a shot at winning so the players in the locker room can also win...if you win the paychecks get bigger.

If this is Dante's agent then here is my message, go try the open market so that the Bills can resign him for half of what the current offer is now. It would be the RIGHT message.

I prefer Buddy's guys to Bills veterans.

Buddy Nix....signs a player who has made the pro bowl many times, and he does it at a low cost. He won't overpay lil'donte, he took out the trash (marshawn, and kaptin checkdown) He hired a coach who actually has a PLAN, and yet still some of my BILLS bro's are hating on him....I know your just being "real" but let me be real, every team Nix has been with has been turned around.....These Bills will be one hell of a team in 2-3 years!!! Go BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup...you nailed it. We need a GM who wants to win and not one who wants players to feel secure on a 4-and-11 team.

Edited by Green Lightning

I can only speak for myself, and I know if another team had signed him for this exact contract, I would be cursing the front office. Just imagine it was the Pats that did this. We'd be homicidal right now.

Count me as one of those giddy about seeing what Merriman can do next year. Perhaps it won't amount to much, but like many others have stated, it's worth the risk.