Merriman extension sends wrong message to locker room

In theory, I get why Buddy would extend Merriman. Our pass rush is still developing and we are re-signing a veteran who has potential.

However, in practice, we have a long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be. Granted, we won't be re-signing everyone, but it definitely sends a message to guys in the locker room when Buddy re-signs someone who has yet to see the field. I think it says its better to be one of Buddy's guys instead of a Bills veteran. I wasn't a fan of the Kelsay contract, but at least it said if you work hard on the field, you will be rewarded.

:wallbash: You are so wrong.

This sends a message that the team wants players with fire in their guts! If Merriman can't play then he gets cut in training camp and the financial loss is minimal but if he can play anywhere close to the player that he once was then it is a plus because his motor keeps on keeping on ... and to me that is the right message to the locker room.

Now, if Buddy signs a few more FA's with the same attitude then the locker room would be inspired at the same time we wave bye bye to Mr. McCargo and Mr. Maybin ... perhaps we should not make first round selections of defensive players with a last name beginning in M (Let me see ... did we make another pick ...).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

he isnt. And i think he is seeing that by the lack of effort in the FO to hold him. "poz"

I do not think the signing of Merriman at that price is anything but a good business risk. And as posted, it sends the message we are going to win and we are going to put the players on the field that we think will accomplish that. Very exciting season and look forward to next year

Agreed. Its weird to me that folks have a problem with this. It is a relatively small risk ($2.5 Mill against the structure we are using to manage the cap is not gonna make or break signing all but the most marginal of players in the line-up of $ we will pay out)for an unlikely but potentially enormous gain.

$2.5 mill is not rolling up the Brinks truck to the Merrimen house, but simply says roster spots will be won on the field. The leverage was on the side of FAs like Poz and now it is more equalized with a small investment.

I get what you are saying....but what would you have Nix do....NOT SIGN HIM?

Take a look at the contract he took......only 2.5 million of that money is for certain. If he hit the open market there were be several teams that would take this exact same chance for so little risk.

I dont care about sending messages anymore....I want to win. Merrimen if he can make it back is a multiple pro bowl multiple sack year player with a ton of experience and is not very old.

Now lets go get a nasty defensive linemen to keep blockers off of Shawn and go to work

I agree w/ you, John, particularly the "I don't care about sending messages" line. Good point.

I agree w/ you, John, particularly the "I don't care about sending messages" line. Good point.

+1

This sending messages thing is given too much import by many posters. The same action can be interpreted differently by different people. If Gailey/Nix want to send a message to a particular player by far the best method is to tell the player what you want.

A particular action may underscore what has been said (or what has been said is pretty much unknown to us outside the locker room and a player may have been told specifically to ignore the alleged import of some action )for example if the coaching staff or FA has told Poz they plan and want to get a deal done with him and asked him what he thought about us signing Merrimen- who knows besides Poz and the FO).

Unless there is some public statement that a maneuver either underscores or runs counter to this sending a message thought can be pretty much ignored.

Correct logic, wrong headline.

Message to locker room - Perform, you'll get paid.

Happy New year.

How do you get that?

Perform a press conference and get hurt on your first play in your first practice and get an extension?

What does the message say to the rest of the team? they are looking to get better

What does it say to the LBers on the roster? We need to get better at this spot and have a chance to upgrade IF he can get back to 100%

In theory, I get why Buddy would extend Merriman. Our pass rush is still developing and we are re-signing a veteran who has potential.

However, in practice, we have a long list of unrestricted free agents who are wondering what their future will be. Granted, we won't be re-signing everyone, but it definitely sends a message to guys in the locker room when Buddy re-signs someone who has yet to see the field. I think it says its better to be one of Buddy's guys instead of a Bills veteran. I wasn't a fan of the Kelsay contract, but at least it said if you work hard on the field, you will be rewarded.

Dont make excuses for kelsay or anyone on this team that has been here for 5 yrs or more .Show me where kelsay played hard .We have been last in defense the past 7 years and you want to give a pass to kelsay when a 26 yr old former Pro-Bowl player signs a contract extension.

Dont make excuses for kelsay or anyone on this team that has been here for 5 yrs or more .Show me where kelsay played hard .We have been last in defense the past 7 years and you want to give a pass to kelsay when a 26 yr old former Pro-Bowl player signs a contract extension.

Well said.

Merriman has more potential and has already had more success than Kelsay.