Do you want Kyle Orton?

I'm a Fitz guy too. But, I think Kyle Orton is better. If he were to become available and we could get him for a reasonable price, we should do so.

Funny - I wasn't a Fitz fan, but right now I don't see how Orton is any better.

If they replace Fitz it should be with a top prospect - drafted in 2011 and starting no earlier than 2012.

Could be had for very little, relative to his stats, assuming Denver is going with TT. Why not bring him in to compete? If nothing else, he'd be an elite 2nd QB behind Fitz. He's not a glamour name at QB, certainly not mentioned with the Brady's and Manning's. But, his stats the last 2 seasons:

2010/2009

TD's : 20/21

INT: 9/12

Yds: 3653/3802

Note: Only 13 games in 2010 because of Tebow taking over. Would've likely ended up with 4200+yds and 23Td's. His QB rating is a hair under 90.

Looks like Fitzy 2.0 to me.

I'm a Fitz guy too. But, I think Kyle Orton is better. If he were to become available and we could get him for a reasonable price, we should do so.

I think if you put Orton behind our line with the TE and WR we have, it would open people's eyes a bit to what we have in Fitz.

The team (and any QB we may acquire by any means) would be a lot better off to acquire quality TE and OLmen esp. RT.

That's just my opinion, no salesman will call.

This... although his injury provided Tebow's opportunity, right? Either way, Orton isn't enough of an upgrade from Fitzy Claus.

I had a Harry Caray moment: Spell Orton backwards and you get "Notro"... Orton no tro in Buffalo!

Obviously no one else with a sense of humor (or humour to the north). Liked it!

I found this on another site and tend to agree- he's a better Fitz than Fitz.

anello1960 12:28 PM

12/31/2010

OK everybody, flame away but the Bills should go after Kyle Orton who is a free agent next year. Tebow is taking the helm in Denver and Orton will be looking to move on if possible. He's a good cold weather passer having played at Iowa and then in Chicago before being traded to Denver in the Cutler deal. He is certainly not a franchise QB that can carry a team but he is a significant upgrade to Fitzpatrick. The Bills could have their cake and eat it with this deal- drafting where need aligns with available player depth and not risking a much coveted pick on a risky QB prospect. There are NO solid picks at QB in this years draft once you look beyond Luck. The free agent pool is also severely devoid of high level talent.

Rationale:

Orton had significantly more passing yards at Denver than Fitzpatrick (3653 vs. 3000).

Orton had fewer TDs (20 vs. 23) but also fewer INTs (9 vs. 15).

Orton had a higher passer rating (87.5 vs. 81.8).

These stats alone do not complete the picture because Denver was / is a much more dysfunctional team than the Bills, especially on offensive line, where Orton was sacked 34 times vs only 24 for Fitzpatrick.

I admire Fitzpatrick and I believe he played his heart out this year. However, Orton played better under more adverse conditions. He would be that much better next season playing for the Bills. The Bills will be better if they draft per the other glaring needs and not have to go through another season settling on Fitzpatrick or risking a pick on a mid level rookie QB.

12/31/2010

OK everybody, flame away but the Bills should go after Kyle Orton who is a free agent next year. Tebow is taking the helm in Denver and Orton will be looking to move on if possible. He's a good cold weather passer having played at Iowa and then in Chicago before being traded to Denver in the Cutler deal. He is certainly not a franchise QB that can carry a team but he is a significant upgrade to Fitzpatrick. The Bills could have their cake and eat it with this deal- drafting where need aligns with available player depth and not risking a much coveted pick on a risky QB prospect. There are NO solid picks at QB in this years draft once you look beyond Luck. The free agent pool is also severely devoid of high level talent.

Rationale:

Orton had significantly more passing yards at Denver than Fitzpatrick (3653 vs. 3000).

Orton had fewer TDs (20 vs. 23) but also fewer INTs (9 vs. 15).

Orton had a higher passer rating (87.5 vs. 81.8).

These stats alone do not complete the picture because Denver was / is a much more dysfunctional team than the Bills, especially on offensive line, where Orton was sacked 34 times vs only 24 for Fitzpatrick.

I admire Fitzpatrick and I believe he played his heart out this year. However, Orton played better under more adverse conditions. He would be that much better next season playing for the Bills. The Bills will be better if they draft per the other glaring needs and not have to go through another season settling on Fitzpatrick or risking a pick on a mid level rookie QB.

I don't know about that. I'd suggest Orton and Fitz are very similar. The difference? Orton went to Purdue (not Iowa) after Brees while Fitz when to Harvard. Orton was a starter as a rookie.

Orton has had significantly more experience in the NFL than Fitz has. I tend to lean toward the belief that Fitz is still developing and improving through significant time on the field.

Hell, they both even have stupid beards most of the time.

I proposed this as an insurance policy to lock up 2 QB's who can compete. I don't know if I'd actually start Orton, I think Fitz is our guy.

Could be had for very little, relative to his stats, assuming Denver is going with TT. Why not bring him in to compete? If nothing else, he'd be an elite 2nd QB behind Fitz. He's not a glamour name at QB, certainly not mentioned with the Brady's and Manning's. But, his stats the last 2 seasons:

2010/2009

Note: Only 13 games in 2010 because of Tebow taking over. Would've likely ended up with 4200+yds and 23Td's. His QB rating is a hair under 90.

Orton already plays for the Bills under the name of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Why do you want two QB's that are good enough to put up good numbers but don't have what it takes to take the Bills deep into the playoffs unless the Bills suddenly aquire a Bears of '85 or Ravens of 2000 type defense?? Kyle Orton lead those two teams to SB victories under the names of Jim McMahon and Trent Dilfer. Of course with those two defenses, the QB's hardly mattered.

But, both those SB winning teams also had very good offensive lines and running games. So if you want the Bills to sign Fitzy's twin brother Kyle and have them be your QB's number 1 and number 2, then you will have to depend on Nix bringing in more OL and defensive talent via the draft and FA, and wait for all of that to mature into a very good OL with strong running backs (Jackson fits that bill and hopefully Spiller learns how to run in the NFL soon), and the Number One defense in the NFL that will lead them to a surprising SB winning season one of these years.

And I would love to see that, don't get me wrong. Depending on FA signings and the draft (and if they even play in 2011), Nix and Gailey may have already decided to go with Fitz anyway for all we know. But I think they should draft Jake Locker or Ryan Mallet and start building around those kids being more franchise type QB's. After all, the Bears never won their second SB and the Ravens never won their second SB mostly because both McMahon and Dilfer were either getting too old or were never good enough in the first place to lead the teams back. Andrew Luck will be drafted by the Panthers number 1, so he won't even be a realistic hope.

So sure the Bills should take the best OL or DL or pass rushing DE or OLB available with their high first round choice. However, I hope they position themselves to be in the running for whoever Nix and the gang agree is the second best QB in this upcoming years' draft!

i see orton going to arizona this offseason. he will tear it up with fitzgerald, breaston and doucet. although mcnabb lives out there but they skins will try to get something in return for him. i would love orton on this team and i think he is a step up from fitzy but i don't see him coming out here.

I agree..That looks like his best destination. Arizona will want to get back in the thick of the NFC and their best shot is to get a seasoned vet like Kyle Orton.

I have watched Orton closely a few games and he seems to do well if not very well when the protection is perfect but crumbles like a deck of cards with the slightest bit of pressure. Denver has a dominant LT, Clady. Thats the main reason Orton is able to put up good numbers.

12/31/2010

OK everybody, flame away but the Bills should go after Kyle Orton who is a free agent next year.

Orton signed a one year extension early in the season. he won't be a FA until next year. But if he's cut or could be gotten in a trade cheap, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Maybe start him over Fitz maybe not. You need a good backup in the NFL if you're serious about contending for the playoffs anyway.

Kyle Orton is the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL QBs.

Perfect post. This is the answer. Kyle Orton was tremendous this year. I have no idea why the Broncs are thinking of going with TT next year.

Perfect post. This is the answer. Kyle Orton was tremendous this year. I have no idea why the Broncs are thinking of going with TT next year.

Several Reasons:

1st round pick who has done well with 5 Rushing TDs and 3 Passing TDs in limited playing time.

New regime who may not be sold on Orton as their long term QB.

You have a QB from 1st round, you got to play him for the money he makes.

Just keep Fitz instead of bringing in a new guy that has to learn the system. There aren't too many vets to be had out there that are better then Fitz right now. Draft a rookie and bring him along slowly, keep Fitzpatrick as our starter for another year or two.

Agree 100%

Kyle Orton is a lot better than is Fitz.

Fitz is having a career year and I attribute that to Chan. Will Fitz get better or even be able to repeat this year? IDK I think with Chan this year Fitz has hit his ceiling.

IMHO Orton is already better than Fitz and working with Chan could become twice as good as Fitz.

So yes I would love to see Orton here in Buffalo working with Chan.

A lot of the Bears were high on Ortons development and leadership then valla they traded him for Cutler and some of them seemed like wtf. I think Orton would be a good fit here and could be had because Denver is going with Tebow(mistake in my book).

BTW Orton went to Purdue not Iowa

2010/2009

I will go with MIKE VICK