Donte's offer?

JinWPB

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So according to this article the Bills are offering Whitner a contract that averages $5 million a year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/14476559

Lets see....... that averages out to about $1 million for each pass he has defensed this year.....hmmmmm that about sums it up.

I would say that's a pretty fair offer for Donte. Maybe not to him but I wouldn't be upset if the Bills signed him to a deal like that.

and in a year or two if he becomes dominant will you be one of those bleeping that the bills let another star get away?

BTW .... he pass defensed against 18 so far..

What is the going rate for an average SS?

he'd like to be paid like a top-five defensive back - about $7 million a season.

It seems about the right amount for whitner, compared to others at his position. One of the more industrious posters could probably find more numbers, but i believe palomalu signed an extension back in 2007 and is paid 7+ mil a year. Antrel Rolle just signed a new deal and got about the same. (these are guaranteed figures I believe).

Technically eric berry is the highest paid safety right now at 10 mil / yr (only about 6 mil / yr is guaranteed).

and in a year or two if he becomes dominant will you be one of those bleeping that the bills let another star get away?

BTW .... he pass defensed against 18 so far..

What is the going rate for an average SS?

he'd like to be paid like a top-five defensive back - about $7 million a season.

Is there some sort of transplant he can undergo for him to become that?

Both sides, and fans, should be happy with about $6mil

Yup.

Last week, w/o any numbers floating around i thought he was worth 5.5-6 per. I can deal with this. Give him some escalators in the contract that can take it to the upper echelon of safety contracts. it should be pretty safe on the Bill's part to ask him to get 4ints per.

What Whitner has to realize is that it's not about what you SAY you're going to do on the field, it about what you actually DO out there that makes all the difference. I don't think people would have as much of a problem with Whitner if he didn't talk like he was the greatest thing to ever happen to this earth. The bottom line is that he is AVERAGE. And his sense of entitlement is misguided.

Teams pay big money to players that have the ability to change the outcome of a game. That's what guys like Polamalu and Reed do out there. They are a threat to force a fumble, intercept a pass, or make a stop on 3rd down every time they take the field.

Donte doesn't do that for the Bills. He simply does his job. He makes the tackle down field as a safety should, he has an occasional tackle for loss, and he's intercepted a pass that was poorly thrown by the opposing QB. That's great and he's doing what he's supposed to. But the Bills need to pay guys top dollar that make a difference in winning games. And there are only a few guys like that on every team. I would much rather pay a big free agent like Lamar Woodley of the Steelers or David Harris of the Jets that you see making big plays every week.

Edited by Got_Wood

Just a thought to remember as well...the $5 million per year average salary is essentially meaningless until we see the guarantees being offered. It could be those parameters that are a sticking point.

6 years and $30 million with $20 being guaranteed is much better than 6 years and $42 million with only 15 being guaranteed.

Edited by Ramius

Do explain.

well the bills stated they gave the big deal to kelsay as he is very important to the team. whitner sees himself as more important than kelsay and even tweeted that he wants to be paid based on his contribution to this team. whitner is not going to accept a deal where he is paid less than kelsay nor should he since he is more important to the defense than kelsay.