Donte's offer?

JinWPB

It is funny how in college and by scouts just a year or so ago he was regarded as one of the best tacklers in the backfield. Donte may not peak as high as we once hoped but I still see a good amount of room for improvement. I base that off of his athletic ability as an undersized SS, his work ethic, and leadership.

I think of him like Coy Wire. Both were not the most superior athletes on the field at any one time but when they were on the field you would notice their presense.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could part of his bad angles be that he has played cb, fs, and ss - all with learning curves associated.

George Wilson made the transition from a WR to the safety position on the fly at the NFL level. Donte came into the NFL as a SS and has taken probably 90% of his snaps at SS in the NFL. If Donte is still adapting then I think that's probably another reason to question his value.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

Donte acts like he'd be eating Ramen noodles next to a space heater for 5 million a year

Good one. Havn't the Bills always excelled in the draft at this position. I'm sick an tired of the team developing these guys and then letting them slip away to another team. Pay the man and try and keep this core together. I just do not want to see another player at this possition run off to another team over a few bucks.

You don't pay 7 million for a safety unless he's a game changer.

Exactly...

And you don't Draft one at #8 Overall unless he's a game changer as well...The Bills made the one mistake already with Whitner...Knowing that I can't imagine they would make the other...

But then again... :unsure:

So donte gets skewered here for what, not having 15 interceptions or whatever and still *gasp* trying to get as much money as possible. Even though he's a leading tackler on the team and the best SS we have.

But kelsay gets a pass and deserves his raise for miserably failing for the majority of this season. Makes sense.

Yes i am aware kelsay has played better of late; that's difficult not to do when he started as horribly as he did.

Donte gets skewered here because he lacks good football instincts, often demonstrates wrong tackling techniques. Not a dependable cover man.

He's a tight End's dream date.

It is funny how in college and by scouts just a year or so ago he was regarded as one of the best tacklers in the backfield. Donte may not peak as high as we once hoped but I still see a good amount of room for improvement. I base that off of his athletic ability as an undersized SS, his work ethic, and leadership.

I think of him like Coy Wire. Both were not the most superior athletes on the field at any one time but when they were on the field you would notice their presense.

Wire is a superior athlete. His speed, agility and leaping numbers entering the league were outstanding for a safety. Plus he had size. He's also a Stanford grad, so intelligence isn't a shortcoming. He couldn't cut it at safety because he never showed any instincts for the position. Particularly in coverage. Donte has similar issues with being in the right place at the right time. He's more instinctive than Wire, but still not what is needed to be among the elite.

They should make it a incentive based contract with a base of 5 mil a year with so many interceptions & sacks leading to more money .

It would be nice if they could tell them if they don't make minimum production that the price goes down but that will never happen !! I think Whitner is a good player but doesn't deserve top money because unlike others his production has not been top rate .

But i hope they find a way to keep him cause let's face it , it just wouldn't be the same to come here & not be able to read about how bad you all think Donte is doing !!

The incentive deal is a great idea T. Player agents absolutely hate incentive deals, but in truth they really are the fairest way to go.

And i don't think donte's playing that horribly...but that seems to be the minority opinion these days.

The only incentive should be winning. Contracts based on stats don't encourage players to play within the given scheme.