We will find out how important Lee Evans is

PromoTheRobot

Thanks for the 2009 footage. To bad you couldn't find anything from 2010. Again, I'm not knocking Fitz and I don't think QB is in our top 3 needs but a 3 - 5 step drop back rainbow? Looked like fitz was about at the limit of his range. You will also notice in that play that the deep safety was doubled up on Evans and they tried to run a LB out to cover the slant pattern to Owens. Basically he had single coverage deep and Fitz threw it up there and delivered a nice ball.

I think we can say that throwing deep is not really Fitz's strength even though he can chuck 1 or 2 a year that far getting a great presnap read and match up. Conversely there are guys that make that 2009 throw OR FARTHER several times a game. Hopefully you get the difference.

Probably the last time we had a QB with a strong arm that didn't throw out routes 15 yards down field. Riddle me this Batman since you apparently have stats on YAC for individual pass plays....When is the last time Larry Fitz had YAC for over 40 yards, Andre Johnson etc?

You do realize that in order for a QB to chuck a ball 60+ yards a receiver has to run 60+ yards down the field. What do you do if your line can't give him enough time to wait?

PTR

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee doesn't look like he can get open this year. Everybody he plays seems to have blanket coverage on him. When it's thrown up in the air, he doesn't fight for the ball like he used to. And he wont run a slant inside. .maybe the ball doesn't get there with enough ZIP.

If Naaman Roosevelt shows up big for the last 3 games especially with the praise that Fitz gave him , couple that with Easley & Parrish coming back off of IR next year & the emergence of Stevie Johnson , along with D. Nelson & D. Johnson - that's 6 receivers with Rosey .

Then if the new TE that Nix brought on that he drafted in SD produces & the possibility of S Nelson getting back from the headache thing next year & with Stupar .

Do you think Evans has a chance ? With his age, amount left of contract & lack of production this year of staying with the team ?

Especially with knowing Nix & Gailey aren't afraid to get rid of people that either aren't contributing as much as they think they should or character stuff (Marshawn , Merradith ) or just want to go in their own direction in building this team. Like letting Veeka M & Green go so they can either bring in other talent with out waiting for people to heal . We all know we sure could use Mitchell after Torbor ,Davis & Ellison went down .

So what do you think ? I know this has been hashed out over & over again but Evans was healthy before & still on the field , but with him being out for the season now & IF !!!! Keeping in mind (If Rosey produces like Fitz believes he can) what do you think Evans chances are of staying with the team next year ???

Evans is still a deep threat, and it seems such a waste to just outright release a #13-overall pick. I'd like to see him stick around thru his ' contract year ' (he becomes a FA in 2013) unless Nix can somehow find some value in a draft-day deal.

I've opined before that Evans suffers from a similar set of circumstances that affected Eric Moulds - multiple head coaches/offensive coordinators/QBs - no real, long-term, consistent #2 WR to keep opponents from double teaming him - and a team adrift for years with no clear direction as far as offensive strategy, game planning, or play-calling.

I think Lee stays on - 6 WRs are not too many. (5 TEs are!)

If Naaman Roosevelt shows up big for the last 3 games especially with the praise that Fitz gave him , couple that with Easley & Parrish coming back off of IR next year & the emergence of Stevie Johnson , along with D. Nelson & D. Johnson - that's 6 receivers with Rosey .

Then if the new TE that Nix brought on that he drafted in SD produces & the possibility of S Nelson getting back from the headache thing next year & with Stupar .

Do you think Evans has a chance ? With his age, amount left of contract & lack of production this year of staying with the team ?

Especially with knowing Nix & Gailey aren't afraid to get rid of people that either aren't contributing as much as they think they should or character stuff (Marshawn , Merradith ) or just want to go in their own direction in building this team. Like letting Veeka M & Green go so they can either bring in other talent with out waiting for people to heal . We all know we sure could use Mitchell after Torbor ,Davis & Ellison went down .

So what do you think ? I know this has been hashed out over & over again but Evans was healthy before & still on the field , but with him being out for the season now & IF !!!! Keeping in mind (If Rosey produces like Fitz believes he can) what do you think Evans chances are of staying with the team next year ???

Only if Nix/Gailey care about the 4-5 million, other than that if they can make up his production without the quit on plays that result in interceptions there is no reason to keep him, he can be good, maybe even very good, just not on this team.

My guess is that Evans will be here at least another year. You mentioned a lot of young guys with talent. The problem is that too many of those guys have proven too little, at least thus far, for the coaching staff and front office to likely feel safe without Lee Evans.

However, if Evans has another down year next season, and if the guys you mentioned continue to prove themselves, the Bills could well start thinking about trading Evans away after the 2011 season is done.

There is no reason you cut the guy, even if he is moved to third down WR. I have long supported the idea of a trade for the right value but I am not of the belief he has any trade value, the productivity just isn't there, unless some team recognizes his deep ball skills as a compliment to their qb and the missing link in their O.

Lee who? Steve Johnson is the new #1, Nelson, Parrish, Roosevelt, Easly. I was laughing today during the Miami game. Do you want a half Nelson or a full Nelson?

I'm not there yet. But if I see the same stuff from the no-names for the next two games, I'll tell you this: The Bills will improve the team by trading Evans for a good draft pick. The improvement won't be next year, it will be 2012 or 2013, when it actually matters because the other pieces will be in place. This team will not be a Super Bowl contender with Evans or without him next year. But with the right moves, 2013 is a different story--and who knows what Evans's abilities will be by then?

Lee who? Steve Johnson is the new #1, Nelson, Parrish, Roosevelt, Easly. I was laughing today during the Miami game. Do you want a half Nelson or a full Nelson?

What you missed was the double coverage that rolled over to Lee Evans today as he stood on the sidelines. He is an invaluable decoy.

In all seriousness, not sure I've seen Evans make the catches that Nelson, Roosevelt, and Jones made today (at least, not in a long time).

One thing I have learned after being on this board a number of years: there will ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS be

people who will support/defend/make excuses for some under-producing Bills player no matter what the reality

appears to be.

Some times rightly so, but many times not.

Evans just doesn't produce.

I guess we will see just how open our young WRs can get without Lee Evans on the field. If Johnson is doubled teamed can Jones, Nelson and Roosevelt get it done? Questions will be answered.

PTR

After todays game not all that important. the last 2 will show us though.The BIlls didn't even need to trip anyone today to beat the Dolphins :thumbsup:

Edited by shadowcat10

What you missed was the double coverage that rolled over to Lee Evans today as he stood on the sidelines. He is an invaluable decoy.

In all seriousness, not sure I've seen Evans make the catches that Nelson, Roosevelt, and Jones made today (at least, not in a long time).

I agree it was great to see Nelson and Steve Johnson go up and fight for the ball and make the catch! Lee who?

Just one game, but yes, the "Unknown 4" played well.

PTR

I don't know about You Mr. PTR but Iam not ready to give up on Evans for any old pick because even though we have a good young recieving corp he still makes us better with him.I would still look for good value for him.

There was a lot of speculation of how much other teams double-team Evans, which has supposedly been the reason why S. Johnson & D. Nelson's production has increased. Steve Johnson was the #1 WR today, saw the double-coverages, and was still able to have a solid game. Also, David Nelson had his best game in his young NFL career. So, was Evans absence really noticed today?