Eric Wood

Watched the Bills-Browns game on the DVR today. Made sure to pay special attention (as always) to the play in the trenches.

Just wanted to mention that Eric Wood was in fact, as good and probably better than anyone could have hoped. Here's a few observations.

EW totally owned Ahtyba Rubin, a guy who's been playing very well and is considered an up and coming nose tackle, so much so that Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers now plays the majority of his snaps at defensive end. On the very first play from scrimmage for the Bills, a modest three yard run up the middle, Wood pushed Rubin backwards and then put him on his back.

That was one of at least three pancake blocks Wood administered to Rubin. The vast majority of the game, Wood was pushing the center of the Browns line backwards. This includes pushing around Shaun Rogers, the 350 pound behemoth. It looks like EW has regained pretty much all of the leg strength he lost while recovering from his broken leg of just over one year ago. After the game one of the Bills linemen was saying that sometimes a stalemate is a victory against players like Rubin and Rogers. There were some stalemates but more often the Bills were pushing the Browns D-linemen backwards. The Browns did fill nicely with their large linebackers.

The Bills used narrower offensive line splits. I compared the video to earlier Bills games from The Ralph this year (same camera location) and I'm positive they tightened up the splits. This might be because of the shuffled personnel on the right side of the line. I think that maybe they wanted to keep the gaps small to prevent leaks.

Also, the Bills used more straight-ahead man blocking schemes in this game. The Bills typically pull their O-linemen as much as most teams but they played more simplified blocking schemes in this game. Again, maybe adjusting for new personnel as well as inclement weather…keeping things simple.

The reason I think Wood is in fact a better center than he is a guard is this: At center against a 3-4 defense, he is typically closer to the man he has to block. Often times the nose tackle is inches away from the center. This enables EW to put his hands on the guy right off the snap and once he has his hands on someone, he's usually gonna have the advantage.

When EW plays guard on the other hand, he's eighteen inches farther from the line of scrimmage than when he's at center. On top of this, his blocking assignment might be one or two gaps over. This means that the guard typically has to go a farther distance to make his block than the center. I love Wood but he's not a real athletic O-lineman in terms of moving in space. It seems that he has decent straight line speed but that he's not so good in changing direction. There's been many times I remember (especially in pass rush situations) where the tackle just walked around Wood. Playing at center allows him to use hand to hand combat in close quarters. I think this really plays to Eric Wood's strengths which are power and quickness in tight.

Anyways, I've always liked Hangartner but he's played two of the three interior line positions and really fits nicely as the primary interior backup. Wood's performance was quite exceptional and like many here, I'd like to see him remain at center. And I think he will.

Watched the Bills-Browns game on the DVR today. Made sure to pay special attention (as always) to the play in the trenches.

Just wanted to mention that Eric Wood was in fact, as good and probably better than anyone could have hoped. Here's a few observations.

EW totally owned Ahtyba Rubin, a guy who's been playing very well and is considered an up and coming nose tackle, so much so that Pro Bowler Shaun Rogers now plays the majority of his snaps at defensive end. On the very first play from scrimmage for the Bills, a modest three yard run up the middle, Wood pushed Rubin backwards and then put him on his back.

That was one of at least three pancake blocks Wood administered to Rubin. The vast majority of the game, Wood was pushing the center of the Browns line backwards. This includes pushing around Shaun Rogers, the 350 pound behemoth. It looks like EW has regained pretty much all of the leg strength he lost while recovering from his broken leg of just over one year ago. After the game one of the Bills linemen was saying that sometimes a stalemate is a victory against players like Rubin and Rogers. There were some stalemates but more often the Bills were pushing the Browns D-linemen backwards. The Browns did fill nicely with their large linebackers.

The Bills used narrower offensive line splits. I compared the video to earlier Bills games from The Ralph this year (same camera location) and I'm positive they tightened up the splits. This might be because of the shuffled personnel on the right side of the line. I think that maybe they wanted to keep the gaps small to prevent leaks.

Also, the Bills used more straight-ahead man blocking schemes in this game. The Bills typically pull their O-linemen as much as most teams but they played more simplified blocking schemes in this game. Again, maybe adjusting for new personnel as well as inclement weather…keeping things simple.

The reason I think Wood is in fact a better center than he is a guard is this: At center against a 3-4 defense, he is typically closer to the man he has to block. Often times the nose tackle is inches away from the center. This enables EW to put his hands on the guy right off the snap and once he has his hands on someone, he's usually gonna have the advantage.

When EW plays guard on the other hand, he's eighteen inches farther from the line of scrimmage than when he's at center. On top of this, his blocking assignment might be one or two gaps over. This means that the guard typically has to go a farther distance to make his block than the center. I love Wood but he's not a real athletic O-lineman in terms of moving in space. It seems that he has decent straight line speed but that he's not so good in changing direction. There's been many times I remember (especially in pass rush situations) where the tackle just walked around Wood. Playing at center allows him to use hand to hand combat in close quarters. I think this really plays to Eric Wood's strengths which are power and quickness in tight.

Anyways, I've always liked Hangartner but he's played two of the three interior line positions and really fits nicely as the primary interior backup. Wood's performance was quite exceptional and like many here, I'd like to see him remain at center. And I think he will.

Just for the fun of it, I recently went over to a couple Browns boards and read where a number of Browns posters spoke of how often Ahtyba Rubin has gotten pushed around this year. While Wood looked good in his debut at center, lets not go over board. Lets see what he can do against the likes of Wilfork, etc.

IIRC they were using EW at center a bit during last training camp.

Nice observations there SDBF.

CD I seem to recall EW got reps at the Center spot a little later than in TC this summer, but fairly early in the season.

He was eased back into his RG spot and didn't see the field at that spot till the Indy game.

Just for the fun of it, I recently went over to a couple Browns boards and read where a number of Browns posters spoke of how often Ahtyba Rubin has gotten pushed around this year. While Wood looked good in his debut at center, lets not go over board. Lets see what he can do against the likes of Wilfork, etc.

he holds his own against Wilfolk the move will be permanent

Excellent post. I noticed the great push up the middle immediately. From up top (upper deck), it was plain as day that the middle of our line was getting great leverage and push from the get-go... frankly, something I haven't seen in YEARS. Having Wood at center HAD to me the biggest factor. Heck, we had a practice squad addition playing guard next to him!

You can tag it on their DT's, but Wood looked like he was at his correct position - and the results were immediate - even with their beef in there. Spiller was able to get yards off-guard, as well.

Not sure Hangartner's contract status, but Wood is HAPPY and productive at center. Leave him there for the next 10 year and build around him.

I went back the other day to watch the game and focused exlusively on Rinehart. Given the compliment he was given by CD, I was curious to see what he did. Like Wood, he also dominated when Ahtyba lined up in front of him. I was surprised by the amount of push Rinehart had against lineman and linebackers and when he combined with Wood, the pile just moved. He wasn't perfect but when he was engaged, people moved.

Thanks for posting the great write-up San Jose. I was impressed with how our line did against the Browns. It'll be exciting to see if the Wood move to center becomes permanent after the season plays out. From the sounds of Chan Gailey's compliments, Rinehart has a real shot to become our starting right guard.

One of the best parts of this season is watching the interior of our O-line start to solidify. When healthy, Cordero Howard plays a pretty good guard and I think would be a great backup. Future line: D. Bell, Levitre, Wood, maybe Rhinehart, RT. If Rhinehart doesn't cut it, one of Howard/Hangartner should be able to do the job.

This may be the beginning of a dominant offensive line in 2 years. They definitely need to address the tackle position and find a good backup out there also, but for the first time since the SB years I really like where this line is going.

Nice close-up view on Wood, SJ. Good points, re: the simplified schemes and your thoughts about proximity playing into Wood's strengths.

I kinda squinted dubiously at the "make it permanent!" cheers ringing out when EW's start was announced last week. I guess I filed it in the undeserved category -- alongside calls for Wang-to-(any position at all). Hangartner has become great at line calls this season, while being fair in pass protection and not far below average on run blocking. I haven't noticed him lay any big eggs since Baltimore. I wasn't in a rush to get him off the field in favor of a guy who's already out there, too.

With the game in the books, I have to admit that Wood looked very strong in his first start. Especially on runs. The only personal muff I recall was him gumming up a middle screen to Jackson in the 3rd.

Protection calls are tough to assign blame from where we sit. I did notice that #53, Roth, was unaccounted for a few times in the 2nd quarter. Including one glaring blitz where Stupar was staying home and available on that side of the line. The Jets and Patsies games should give line calls and adjustments a mean workout. Can't wait to see how it goes!

Seconding/thirding etc all who said thanks for this. I have been hoping to see Eric Wood to play his natural position for a long time. Could be the next Kent Hull.

Can you guys remember that we were trotting out schmoes like Chris Villarial and Trey Teague and Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston for so long? Ugh.

Hangartner seemed like a Hall of Famer in that context, but I'm glad to entertain the idea that Wood stays at C.

Seconding/thirding etc all who said thanks for this. I have been hoping to see Eric Wood to play his natural position for a long time. Could be the next Kent Hull.

Can you guys remember that we were trotting out schmoes like Chris Villarial and Trey Teague and Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston for so long? Ugh.

Hangartner seemed like a Hall of Famer in that context, but I'm glad to entertain the idea that Wood stays at C.

If we draft a RT in an early round I would like to see Handy still play on the line. Keep Bell and Levitre on the left side, move Wood to center, move Handy to RG (A position he spot played in Carolina), and a rookie RT.

That leaves Urbik and Worto as depth. I think Handy is a vet and plays decently. His value is the line calls he is able to make and his versatility. A rookie RT would benefit greatly from having a vet to play next to.

If we draft a RT in an early round I would like to see Handy still play on the line. Keep Bell and Levitre on the left side, move Wood to center, move Handy to RG (A position he spot played in Carolina), and a rookie RT.

That leaves Urbik and Worto as depth. I think Handy is a vet and plays decently. His value is the line calls he is able to make and his versatility. A rookie RT would benefit greatly from having a vet to play next to.

Is Hangman good enough at pulling to play RG?

I agree on the vet/rookie dynamic but think Urbik could be promising.