Obscure Bills players from the past

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few of you guys have listed players I wouldn't exactly call obscure..

(Jim Braxton, Chrales Rhomes) These guys excelled for a number of years.

My obscure list includes:

Booker Moore FB

Hal Garner LB

Derrick Burroughs DB

Matt Robinson QB

Jon Borchardt OL

...and some guy named Orenthal.

Guest Mort Hendrickson

How is Derrick Burroughs obscure? I believe he was a first round draft pick, picked ahead of Jerry Rice. It was a a real shame that his career was cut short due to a horrible injury.

On that note, Jerry Crafts

Guest BRH as guest
STANNNNNN GELBAUGH!

156269[/snapback]

Gelbaugh is the volunteer offensive coordinator now at the Bullis School in Maryland, where two of my high school friends teach. His son is a fifth grader at the school, and I hear they run plays right out of the Marchibroda/Levy playbook. Must be fun to watch! :D

Nobody's mentioned the great Bruce Mathison yet. His career highlight was a 50-yard bomb to Jerry Butler during the Miami game in 1985.

Gene Sykes - generic white safety

Preston Ridelhuber - halfback option pass and Heidi game

Jim Cheyunski - two INT's first game - nothing after that

Dan Darragh - not much of a QB but a fine Environmental Attorney

O'Connor, Lucas and Chelf - anybody old enough to recognize that?

How about Dudley Meredith (DT)., 1960's. One of the first Bills to go over 300 lbs. Slow moving slob, who subbed for Sestak and Dunaway IIRC.

156177[/snapback]

Meredith was traded to the Bills in 64 from the Oilers. There was a certain animosity toward Meredith when he first arrived in Buffalo and in fact some people never forgave him for what he had done the previous football season. In the 1962 draft, the Bills drafted a running back from Penn St. in the 15th round (remember this was the old AFL-not a heck of a lot of teams)by the name of Roger Kochman. In the game against the Oilers in 63, Meredith cheap-shoted (at least to manny Bills fans) Kochman. Kochman's running was a surprise and he quickly became a fan favorite. Meredith's hit on Kochman's knee was so bad that he never played again.

A favorite player of mine way back when was George Saimes a FB from Michigan St. drafted in the 6th round in 1963. With the Bills he was switched to Safety. He was a fearless player when it came to contact.

How about the immortal K Todd Schlopy? He won a 1987 scab game 6-3 against Bill Parcells scab Giants. I'll never forget that name!

Or:

Russell Copeland

Booker Moore

Lucious Sanford

Mark Brammer

Sherman White

Chris Burkett

Lonnie Smith

Tony Hunter

Anthony Denman

Grant Irons

Andre Rone

Mitchell Brookins

How about the immortal K Todd Schlopy? He won a 1987 scab game 6-3 against Bill Parcells scab Giants. I'll never forget that name!

Or:

Russell Copeland

Booker Moore

Lucious Sanford

Mark Brammer

Sherman White

Chris Burkett

Lonnie Smith

Tony Hunter

Anthony Denman

Grant Irons

Andre Rone

Mitchell Brookins

156418[/snapback]

Wow, almost forgot about the "scab" Bills. Wasn't obscure midget QB Doug Flutie the starting scab for the New Engalnd Patriots for those 3 weeks in 1987?

I had season tickets in 1987. My dad was a big union guy, and implored me to go to the scab games. I lied to him and told him I wouldn't. A buddy of mine from high shcool (the best player on the Kenmore West Blue Devils) was the Bills starting running back. His name was Mike Panepinto, went to Canisus for college ball. Terrific WNY high school football player. Now, just an obscure former Bill to most of us....maybe Mike is reading this!

Other great scab players were QB's Willie Totten (threw to Jerry Rice in college) and the 7 ft. tall Brian McClure (out of Bowling Green I think), who guided the Bills to their one and only scab team victory, in the miserable rain, at Rich, against the NY Giants (who had Lawrence Taylor playing). The afore mentioned Todd Schlopey kicked the game winning field goal, about 13 minutes into OT, and our scrappy Bills won 6-3. The next week, when the strike ended, McClure got cut, and was pissed at Marv Levy, big time. He claimed that Marv had promised him a spot on the team once the strike ended, the only reason he broke the picket line, he said...ah, the good old days!

My other picks for the Bills all-time obscure team:

Don Calhoun (OJ's back-up in the mid-70's)

Dennis Johson (the RB or the OG, pick em, they were both obscure!)

George Cumby (linebacker- 1985 or 1986)

Eason Ramson (tight end- 1985 or 1986)

Jerry Boyarski (a DL from 1985, I think. One of Bullough's bums! Nuff said?)

Rod Kush (safety- 1981-83)

John Hagy (safety- 1989-90 maybe?)

Scott Radicec (1988-89- Shane Conlan's back-up, left for the Colts, also from Penn State)

Matt Rodgers (QB 1993 or 1994, don't think he ever made the team, but played in pre-season, went to Iowa I think, and was the son of then Boston Celtics head coach, Jimmie Rodgers)

Meredith was traded to the Bills in 64 from the Oilers. There was a certain animosity toward Meredith when he first arrived in Buffalo and in fact some people never forgave him for what he had done the previous football season. In the 1962 draft, the Bills drafted a running back from Penn St. in the 15th round (remember this was the old AFL-not a heck of a lot of teams)by the name of Roger Kochman. In the game against the Oilers in 63, Meredith cheap-shoted (at least to manny Bills fans) Kochman. Kochman's running was a surprise and he quickly became a fan favorite. Meredith's hit on Kochman's knee was so bad that he never played again.

A favorite player of mine way back when was George Saimes a FB from Michigan St. drafted in the 6th round in 1963. With the Bills he was switched to Safety. He was a fearless player when it came to contact.

156383[/snapback]

Saimes was anything but obscure, at least to any old time Bills fan. As I began to follow the Bills, after their run on AFL championships., as a child, I recall playing a football game call Strat-o-matic (they also had a great baseball game that I played for a number of years), and there was George Saimes, the FS, with a player rating of 6, the best rating possible. I asked my step father if Saimes was really any good, and he simply said he was the "best".

Saimes was anything but obscure, at least to any old time Bills fan. As I began to follow the Bills, after their run on AFL championships., as a child, I recall playing a football game call Strat-o-matic (they also had a great baseball game that I played for a number of years), and there was George Saimes, the FS, with a player rating of 6, the best rating possible.  I asked my step father if Saimes was really any good, and he simply said he was the "best".

156469[/snapback]

Saimes and Butch Byrd were All-Pro multiple times. Both were on the all time All-AFL team. Like Lancaster Steve said, he hit like a train.

Back to obscure names. Mailon Kent, Sullivan " Pete " Mills , Jim Davidson, Bobby Crockett, Billy Masters, John McCrumbly, Nick Nighswander, Durwood Roquemore, Pete VanValkenburg, Len Walterscheid...

Guff brought up Alvin Wyatt - he had a single bar face guard that curved up in a semi circle at the front , like this _______/\_______....had to be the strangest mask one ever saw..

Great...now I'm jonesing for the old uniforms and red standing buffalo helmet again. Bring them back !