Obscure Bills players from the past

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou Piccone.

The Bills would cut him, resign him, cut him again, resign him again...

I used to see him at the old Mulligans on Hertel Avenue...

162148[/snapback]

I think Drew Haddad is starting to take on that role.

I am pretty sure that Leypolt was the kicker who missed a field goal attempt in the rockpile,and as he was walking to his car after the game he was mugged.(He said that he deserved the beating for missing the field goal)

161119[/snapback]

I know Booth Lusteg got mugged on Main St, between Utica and West Ferry drunk out of his gourd after a game. Another head case who was cut after the 66 season. Switched numbers in the middle of the season, I guess to help his field-goal kicking :lol:

Now you might be right about Leypolt also. I was in the Navy during the time he played for the Bills.

..and then did bad coke and dropped over dead of a heart attack when he was about 40 years old. Way to throw away your life.

Wasn't a bad kicker. Made a lot of tackles. Was about 240 lbs.

156537[/snapback]

Jeez Mark, is that true? My oldest sister used to date a guy who was an assistant football coach at UB, and he was buddies with Leypoldt. One day, an off day during training camp, he took me with him to help set up a bar/pool place that Leypoldt (I think it was his place, too young at the time to remember all the details). There was a crud load of other Bills players there, and I got a bunch of autographs. I got a bunch of cards signed (Leypoldt, Joe D, Jon Skourpan, mostly white guys!) and a piece of paper. I still have it, but it is badly faded, and I can't remember all the guys who were there, unless they had a Topps trading card! I was 9! I had a blast! I remember that Skorpan in particlar was a real nice guy. Can you imagine a bunch of NFL players these days getting together on their off day during training camp, to work setting up pool tables? I wonder if teams would even allow it!

I never realized that Leypoldt had died. That must have been in the mid 80's or so?

Matt whats-his-name a lousy DB with long flowing blond hair, sort of like an tiny Fabio, what the hell was his name anyhow?

162369[/snapback]

He only had the long hair for a couple years. Then went on to play with other teams one being the Eagles. If it were not for the enhancement drugs but if Barry Bonds could do it and get away with it for years Matt might have been a Bill longer.

Charles Rogers, Mr. Fair Catch...the guy cost us a mid-round draft pick.

Gabe Northern....the guy started well....but then went to obscurity....

Same with the guy who came from VaTech a few years ago and was even

shot and then got cut....LB converted to DE...

How about Travares Tillman?

Before this year, he was the LAST Bills safety to intercept a pass in a regular season game.  That's how long a drought we had there.

162521[/snapback]

Another reach pick by Butler.....I remember at that time he was projected

as a 4th round pick....JB picked him in the 2nd round.

Guest Guest_mphs mike_*

I remember Alvin Wyatt's facemask. I also remember that in his first preseason game he returned a kick for a TD. I called and spoke to him on the weekly show and in a burst of journalistic brilliance asked "how did it feel to score the first time you touched the ball as a Bill?"

Another obscure player I remember was a rb by the name of Bobby Burnett. Played a couple of years - I believe right after the championship years. I met him a few years ago. He was shocked that I remembered he played for the Bills and initially thought someone put me up to it - until I named a few others from that era.