It was Alaso Acting Alone Along The Grassy Knoll?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple issue to solve if they are lining up parallel to the playing field to try and create some sort of issue for the gunner. The next gunner that gets pushed into that wall needs to put the crown of his helmet into the chin of whatever New York meathead is standing there. That would only need to happen once.

If they're allowed to stand where they were standing, who really cares? How dare they break rules by following the rules.

*Obviously this point is moot if they're not allowed to stand there.

The NFL has rules for where players and coaches can stand. Look at the diagram,(Link; http://www.sportsknowhow.com/pops/football-field-pro.html) pink is for coaches and blue for players, nobody follows the rules that is why teams have someone responsible for keeping players in the right place.

I would love to see a video of the 5 minutes before the punt and see what the Jets sideline looked like. I am going to record the Jets 30 minute replay and see what I can find.

I don't think these guys were there to trip the gunner, but possibly to impede him.

The story could be picking up steam, as many people remarked the odd stances and positioning of the Jets' sideline.

Bilick remarked on it on NFL Net last night, and now Zach Thomas weighs in

It's definitely one of these things that you never focused on in a game before, but after looking at the replays, the positioning looked incredibly odd.

I don't think the league has any grounds to fine Ryan, but that shouldn't stop people from calling him a royal scumbucket.

The NFL has rules for where players and coaches can stand. Look at the diagram,(Link; http://www.sportsknowhow.com/pops/football-field-pro.html) pink is for coaches and blue for players, nobody follows the rules that is why teams have someone responsible for keeping players in the right place.

I would love to see a video of the 5 minutes before the punt and see what the Jets sideline looked like. I am going to record the Jets 30 minute replay and see what I can find.

I don't think these guys were there to trip the gunner, but possibly to impede him.

Thanks for the link. The one thing that wasn't completely clear from it was if they were indeed in an allowed spot. I'm guessing yes, but the picture doesn't show the width of the white sideline.

Anyway, I have no doubt in my mind that those guys were in fact there to be an obstacle and I have absolutely no problem with it. We're talking about the world of professional sports where base runners try to steal the catchers signs, coaches have to cover their mouths when radioing in plays just in case someone can read their lips. How is this any different? Players and coaches in every sport have always done a countless number of things to potentially add a competitive advantage. A line of coaches standing in a spot where players aren't technically allowed to be is more of the same.

Sticking out the knee though? That's where the line is clearly crossed.

The story could be picking up steam, as many people remarked the odd stances and positioning of the Jets' sideline.

Bilick remarked on it on NFL Net last night, and now Zach Thomas weighs in

It's definitely one of these things that you never focused on in a game before, but after looking at the replays, the positioning looked incredibly odd.

I don't think the league has any grounds to fine Ryan, but that shouldn't stop people from calling him a royal scumbucket.

I have to agree with Thomas on the last line. To me - the fact that he was not let go outright implicates the coaching staff - I think they were told to go stand there - and I wouldn't be surprised if they were told to 'not go out of their way to avoid contact *wink*' if an opposing player came close to them.

So their plan was to spend the whole game standing there like that so that when a gunner for the Fins ran out of bounds, they could trip him?

Really?

In this case YES , WEO. They did this on purpose.

Who the hell stands foot to foot with their toes on the line?

What player doesn't know they should make way for gunners on kickoffs?

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jetstrip11.jpg?w=250

Look at the picture - IT says it all.

In this case YES , WEO. They did this on purpose.

Who the hell stands foot to foot with their toes on the line?

What player doesn't know they should make way for gunners on kickoffs?

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jetstrip11.jpg?w=250

Look at the picture - IT says it all.

Geez, it looks like if the first guy didn't trip him, the others down the line would.

And I was really surprised by that article above, the stuff Tasker says. I really didn't think Tasker was bending the rules that much back in his prime. I'd like to think of him as a character guy who did everything by the book, not hurdling the oppositions bench to gain an advantage. I know it wasn't against the rules back then, but the game was meant to be played within the big white lines, not outside of them.

Geez, it looks like if the first guy didn't trip him, the others down the line would.

And I was really surprised by that article above, the stuff Tasker says. I really didn't think Tasker was bending the rules that much back in his prime. I'd like to think of him as a character guy who did everything by the book, not hurdling the oppositions bench to gain an advantage. I know it wasn't against the rules back then, but the game was meant to be played within the big white lines, not outside of them.

I'd venture to say there was a lot more bending the rules (or attempts to) than we would have thought.

As someone said earlier, MLB teams try to steal signs or pick up a pitcher tipping his pitches. There's nothing in the rules that says they can't do that with the naked eye. If these Jets coach/players just lined up on the line and did nothing, there would be nothing to complain about.

it was Alosi that told the inactive players to stand in a line...

link

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum announced the punishment after Alosi was suspended for the rest of the season and fined $25,000 on Monday.

"Over the last day as we continued our investigation we discovered some new information," Tannenbaum said. "The players at the Miami game were instructed by Sal to stand where they were forcing the gunner in the game to run around them. Based on that new information we've suspended Sal indefinitely, pending further review."

Its the sideline - thats where players not on the field are suspposed to stand. The NFL has a penalty for gunners running out of bounds and not coming right back in bounds within reason. Aside from that guy clearly movving to hit the gunner - lets say the gunner just happend to run into him or went around him - the gunner gets flagged.

The guys off the field have the right to be there, the gunner doesnt. they could have flagged the miami guy for continuing to run out of the field of play if they thought he deserved it. My guess is the jets hawk is supposed to block the guy to the outside of the human wall and thus force the gunner to stay out of bounds and draw a flag - not run him into a wall of humans. If that were teh case, wouldnt the line be better positions perpendiculare to the sideline and not parralell? Its a genious and legal coaching ploy if thats what it was.

You like that huh?

You are probably correct that it was their intention try to get a flag. There will probably be a rule change. I'm no big stickler for sportmanship, but douchebaggery is something I really don't like. The fact that the Alashole took it as far as he did kinda indicates the mentality behind the strategy.

Very small ball indeed.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

WEO. Did I miss the post where you corrected your stance on Alosi not doing this on purpose? He did admit to telling the undressed player to stand there like he did.

Or did I miss the point of the post as being sarcastic?

The New York Jets have suspended Sal Alosi indefinitely after the team got "new information" that the strength and conditioning coach "instructed" five players to stand in a wall before he tripped Dolphins player Nolan Carroll on Sunday.

"Over the last day as we continued our investigation we discovered some new information," Tannenbaum said. "The players at the Miami game were instructed by Sal to stand where they were forcing the gunner in the game to run around them. Based on that new information we've suspended Sal indefinitely, pending further review."

- complimets of ESPN

sticking his knee out was a knee jerk reaction. :pirate:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

WEO. Did I miss the post where you corrected your stance on Alosi not doing this on purpose? He did admit to telling the undressed player to stand there like he did.

Or did I miss the point of the post as being sarcastic?

The New York Jets have suspended Sal Alosi indefinitely after the team got "new information" that the strength and conditioning coach "instructed" five players to stand in a wall before he tripped Dolphins player Nolan Carroll on Sunday.

- complimets of ESPN

sticking his knee out was a knee jerk reaction. :pirate:

I stand corrected on that Bills Fan.

This guy acted on his own and came up with this plan. The OP and others suggested this was a conspiracy orchestrated by Ryan. I disagreed. It wasn't as it turned out.

Short of tripping the guy, as only Alosi attempted (and succeeded), not sure what lining up a bunch of bodies 3 feet out of bounds does to slow a gunner. How was the gunner going to "go around" them--by going behind the Jets bench? The gunner was already off the field of play well before he was tripped. How far OOB can the gunner go unimpeded and still expect to run back out onto the field?

I stand corrected on that Bills Fan.

This guy acted on his own and came up with this plan. The OP and others suggested this was a conspiracy orchestrated by Ryan. I disagreed. It wasn't as it turned out.

Short of tripping the guy, as only Alosi attempted (and succeeded), not sure what lining up a bunch of bodies 3 feet out of bounds does to slow a gunner. How was the gunner going to "go around" them--by going behind the Jets bench? The gunner was already off the field of play well before he was tripped. How far OOB can the gunner go unimpeded and still expect to run back out onto the field?

I believe the tactic for the blockers is to push the gunner outside the 3 foot line to increase the turbulence. By intentionally lining up a cauldron of players at the very edge of that line increases your chances that the gunner will hit a wall.

Legal, but sleazy. And whether you buy the argument that Ryan or Westhof knew abot it, it goes to the part of the culture that Ryan has instituted in the entire ball club - which speaks volumes when a S&C coach feels compelled to act on his own in this way.

I believe the tactic for the blockers is to push the gunner outside the 3 foot line to increase the turbulence. By intentionally lining up a cauldron of players at the very edge of that line increases your chances that the gunner will hit a wall.

Legal, but sleazy. And whether you buy the argument that Ryan or Westhof knew abot it, it goes to the part of the culture that Ryan has instituted in the entire ball club - which speaks volumes when a S&C coach feels compelled to act on his own in this way.

Seems to happen all the time, not just the Jets.

from deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/5713868/how-tripgate-went-down-and-how-its-practiced-around-the-league

So why are the Jets the only team to do this? They're not. We spoke to one former NFLer who made stops with three teams, and he says each one pulled the exact same stunt. Inactive players would crowd the sidelines to funnel the gunners inward. "Not on every punt, to avoid being too obvious." But in key situations, like late, close games or when field position was crucial.

Even more interesting is the player's contention that no one ever had to tell him or the other players about forming the wall, but rather "it was just something that everyone knew how to do." The decision when to do it would come from a coach or respected player, but the actual tactic itself is a piece of institutional memory, passed vertically through the years, and horizontally from team to team, to the point where no one knows where and when it might have started.

The only illegal part was leaning out over the field of play to trip Carroll. That's why Alosi is suspended. That, and drawing attention to a tactic used throughout the league, one everyone would rather pretend doesn't exist.