Draft day futility

Mr. WEO

LOL @ the "female caning" thing. Should have just typed bitching.

i just don't see why if you think there's no hope, you continue to subject yourself to this? That's more the definition of "insanity" than "fan."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL @ the "female caning" thing. Should have just typed bitching.

i just don't see why if you think there's no hope, you continue to subject yourself to this? That's more the definition of "insanity" than "fan."

This is kinda predictable. Whenever things are so bad, and fans inevitably complain about another lost season, someone chimes in and say why care. The same could be asked of you, who will quibble and provide reasons why success is just out of reach. If the team is always climbing the mountain, falling to the bottom and starting over, why care that others care?

Taking the self-righteous approach and declaring yourself above it all is the only response when there's no way to explain this decade.

This is kinda predictable. Whenever things are so bad, and fans inevitably complain about another lost season, someone chimes in and say why care. The same could be asked of you, who will quibble and provide reasons why success is just out of reach. If the team is always climbing the mountain, falling to the bottom and starting over, why care that others care?

Taking the self-righteous approach and declaring yourself above it all is the only response when there's no way to explain this decade.

You must a be a riot at parties... :rolleyes:

Who says there's "no hope"??

For many of us, we keep watching and caring because we HAVE hope. Hope that someone some day will put an organization together that will turn around the fortunes of this team---instead of settling for castoffs and the unemployed, praying for miracles and telling everyone things are actually going quite well, all things considered.

It's really not hard to fathom.

Who says there's "no hope"??

For many of us, we keep watching and caring because we HAVE hope. Hope that someone some day will put an organization together that will turn around the fortunes of this team---instead of settling for castoffs and the unemployed, praying for miracles and telling everyone things are actually going quite well, all things considered.

It's really not hard to fathom.

Who says there's no hope? You started this thread, didn't you? What was the subject? "It doesn't matter who we take, they'll still suck." Real hope there, doc.

But what are you waiting for? Ralph to die? Is that the "hope" you're looking for?

Yeah, because winning is overrated. You do realize this franchise is averaging about 6 wins per this decade, right? The same team with 1 winning season in that same stretch.

We get that anyone who rains on your homer parade and isn't glowing about the team bothers you. It's called the ignore button Hondo.

Oh yea, none of us rose colored guys wants to win. get real. We're all homers because we try to find the positives instead of constantly harping on all that is wrong. you really are a piece of work. All you can do is B word and complain that nothing the Bills do is right and how much we suck, I just cant comprehend why you are a fan of this team. They will never be good enough for you so why bother,....dude? I just don't get it. you tell me to use the ignore button if I don't want to hear it. Well maybe you should just ignore the Bills if they make you so miserable.

First Rounders Since 2000:

Erik Flowers

Nate Clements

Mike Williams

Willis McGahee

JP Losman

Lee Evans

John McCargo

Donte Whitner

Marshawn Lynch

Leodis McKelvin

Eric Wood

Aaron Maybin

CJ Spiller

Lots of them are busts. Some immediately high-tailed it out of Buffalo the first chance they got. Wood seems injury prone.

Pretty bad that over the last decade of first round picks, Evans and Whitner are the only decent players willing to play for the Bills.

I wonder what the people who are butt hurt over others posting about how much the Bills stink expect to see on a Bills message board these days.

I mean, they seriously are horrible. With a decade of utter, historic futility behind them. With their only bright spots being an underrated high-motor defensive tackle and a journeyman back-up caliber qb with a hobo beard.

You say the realists are closer to insanity for wanting better, but I'd probably call y'all insane for expecting people to debate the 'bright spots' of a trainwreck.

Today's game was a snapshot of how the Bills treat he first round of the draft. Look at our young stars:

Spiller---too soon to decide "bust", but clearly a wasted pick. He's a RB---a top 10 back on a team with many needs has to come in and contribute immediately. This kid hasn't delivered on all that was promised--he looks lost out there.

Maybin--certain bust that should have spotted a mile away.

Wood---solid player but injured again. Not his fault, but fact is he's not on the field for a team with )-line problems. Likely an injury prone career.

McKelvin---besides the idiocy of taking a DB in the top 15, he sucks. Getting worse at both KR and DB. A true game loser.

(Lynch---gone, replaced by Spiller)

Whitner----see above re:DBs in top 15 for teams with many needs. Fact is he's not very good. If he was a 6th round pick, no one would think better of him. He'd be Keith Ellison.

McCargo---absolute bust who is, inexplicably, still on the team. A ghost today.

So, what's the difference if we pick 1,2 or 3?

Hence the 2-10 record.... At least we drafted some interior Lineman.

Who says there's no hope? You started this thread, didn't you? What was the subject? "It doesn't matter who we take, they'll still suck." Real hope there, doc.

But what are you waiting for? Ralph to die? Is that the "hope" you're looking for?

You're getting warm, doc. If you read the post, it's clear what I'm waiting for. If Ralph cared about the team and Buffalo (really cared, I mean), he would sell at leasrt the controlling interest in this team immediately and let the next guy give it a shot. Ralph could still rake in a few million a year. If you think that Ralph is the absolute best owner for this team ("if"?? hahah), then bless you, I guess.

Wow thx guys you just made my ignore list so easy to put together :thumbsup: 90% of you are going on it.

That's one way to deal with adverse opinions.

Let's not forget Mike Williams. I know that your lists are players on the team, but to wiff that badly again and again and again and...

Every time we play the Vikings, I remember that we could have had Bryant McKinnie instead of Williams, and we let one of the best DBs in the league (Antoine Winfield) walk.

What is Williams doing these days anyway? Modelling suits in the Big and Tall department at Men's Wearhouse?

Wow, a thread with all the negative guys on it. Just missing a few of you but I'm sure the rest will show up sooner or later.

how exciting.

So there's something positive about the way the Bills have Drafted in the 1st Round over the past 10 years or so?

Don't give me this negative nancy bullspit...It's said time and time again great Teams are built through the Draft...Well The Buffalo Bills have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that really bad Teams come from years and years of Drafting poorly in the 1st Round...Years, and years, and years...Going all the way back to Eric Flowers in 2000, it's been laundry list of poor Draft Day decisions that almost defy logic to a point...It's almost impossible to make this many poor choices, and miss on this many good players while doing so...And that is EXACTLY why The Bills basically suck...So I think it's a pretty good discussion to have...

Eric Flowers was bad...Especially considering Keith Bullock went 4 Picks later...But I think it all REALLY started when The Bills Picked Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie, John Henderson, Dwight Freeney, or Albert Haynesworth...That really hurt...Dallas Clark went one Pick after Wills McGahee...Think he would have made a difference? Lee Evans was not a bad Pick, but Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork, and Will Smith were all available there, and I think it certainly can be argued that they are better at their positions than Lee is at his...JP Losman? The Bills could have Traded DOWN from the 2nd Round that year and still landed Matt Schaub...Then the next year The Bills Draft another WR with their 1st Pick in the 2005 Draft, and he's smaller than Lee Evans...Justin Tuck was available when Roscoe came off the Board...Whitner over Ngata may go down as as one of the worst decisions in a Buffalo Bills Draft Room EVER...Yep...EVER...They needed a DT and passed on the guy who would be arguably the best in the NFL for an undersized SS...At #8 nonetheless...No need to think about a 3-4 when you have Ngata and Kyle Williams in the middle of a 4-3 from their Rookie years on...Good thing for Whitner The Bills would make and even bigger blunder in the 2009 Draft...It makes taking him over Ngata look OK in comparison...But I'll get to that in a second...Darrelle Revis went 2 picks after Marshawn Lynch in 2007...In 08 Ryan Clady went one Pick after McLovin and there was PLENTY of talent on the Board besides Clady...Now for 2009's decision...The Bills needed help at Rushing the Passer...They had their pick of OLB/DE types...They could have had Orakpo and that would have been a good solid Pick there, but most importantly they could have had the beast that is Clay Matthews Jr. who has...get this...22 sacks, 78 Solo Tackles, 2 TD's and an INT in only 27 Games Played... :wallbash: ...And now we have CJ Spiller who was supposed to be the human-highlight-reel but instead looks like the human-dear-in-the headlights most of the time...And I know he got hurt yesterday, but it seems to me the Cowboys got the human-highlight-reel at #24 Overall with Dez Bryant...The Bills could have Traded Down and stockpiled picks and still landed Bryant easily...

So I think it's pretty relevant that, right here today, the Bills could have had a Team with McKennie (or Freeny), Will Smith, Matt Schaub, Justin Tuck, Ngata, Revis, Clady, Matthews Jr, and Bryant...Folks might not like the truth, or the history, but it is what it is...And it's most definitely the reason this Team is exactly where it is today...I really don't understand why anyone would expect anything other than negativity on this topic...What is there to be positive about?...You can only get so much mileage out of Kyle Williams... B-)

You're getting warm, doc. If you read the post, it's clear what I'm waiting for. If Ralph cared about the team and Buffalo (really cared, I mean), he would sell at leasrt the controlling interest in this team immediately and let the next guy give it a shot. Ralph could still rake in a few million a year. If you think that Ralph is the absolute best owner for this team ("if"?? hahah), then bless you, I guess.

Because a new owner will ensure success, right?

Because a new owner will ensure success, right?

Really? Come on doc. That's your carefully considered response?

OK, I'll go along: of course it doesn't ensure success, but the current owner ensures continued failure while he owns the team.

Another way to make this simple concept even more clear: the new owner would offer the "hope" of success.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Every time we play the Vikings, I remember that we could have had Bryant McKinnie instead of Williams, and we let one of the best DBs in the league (Antoine Winfield) walk.

What is Williams doing these days anyway? Modelling suits in the Big and Tall department at Men's Wearhouse?

Mike Williams was placed on the IR due to blood clots. He was the starting right guard for the Redskins. He lost a lot of weight and impressed the staff with his work ethic in the offseason.

Attitude changes come from within. He finally got himself together and turned it around before his serious health issue developed.

Edited by JohnC

So there's something positive about the way the Bills have Drafted in the 1st Round over the past 10 years or so?

Don't give me this negative nancy bullspit...It's said time and time again great Teams are built through the Draft...Well The Buffalo Bills have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that really bad Teams come from years and years of Drafting poorly in the 1st Round...Years, and years, and years...Going all the way back to Eric Flowers in 2000, it's been laundry list of poor Draft Day decisions that almost defy logic to a point...It's almost impossible to make this many poor choices, and miss on this many good players while doing so...And that is EXACTLY why The Bills basically suck...So I think it's a pretty good discussion to have...

Eric Flowers was bad...Especially considering Keith Bullock went 4 Picks later...But I think it all REALLY started when The Bills Picked Mike Williams over Bryant McKinnie, John Henderson, Dwight Freeney, or Albert Haynesworth...That really hurt...Dallas Clark went one Pick after Wills McGahee...Think he would have made a difference? Lee Evans was not a bad Pick, but Tommie Harris, Vince Wilfork, and Will Smith were all available there, and I think it certainly can be argued that they are better at their positions than Lee is at his...JP Losman? The Bills could have Traded DOWN from the 2nd Round that year and still landed Matt Schaub...Then the next year The Bills Draft another WR with their 1st Pick in the 2005 Draft, and he's smaller than Lee Evans...Justin Tuck was available when Roscoe came off the Board...Whitner over Ngata may go down as as one of the worst decisions in a Buffalo Bills Draft Room EVER...Yep...EVER...They needed a DT and passed on the guy who would be arguably the best in the NFL for an undersized SS...At #8 nonetheless...No need to think about a 3-4 when you have Ngata and Kyle Williams in the middle of a 4-3 from their Rookie years on...Good thing for Whitner The Bills would make and even bigger blunder in the 2009 Draft...It makes taking him over Ngata look OK in comparison...But I'll get to that in a second...Darrelle Revis went 2 picks after Marshawn Lynch in 2007...In 08 Ryan Clady went one Pick after McLovin and there was PLENTY of talent on the Board besides Clady...Now for 2009's decision...The Bills needed help at Rushing the Passer...They had their pick of OLB/DE types...They could have had Orakpo and that would have been a good solid Pick there, but most importantly they could have had the beast that is Clay Matthews Jr. who has...get this...22 sacks, 78 Solo Tackles, 2 TD's and an INT in only 27 Games Played... :wallbash: ...And now we have CJ Spiller who was supposed to be the human-highlight-reel but instead looks like the human-dear-in-the headlights most of the time...And I know he got hurt yesterday, but it seems to me the Cowboys got the human-highlight-reel at #24 Overall with Dez Bryant...The Bills could have Traded Down and stockpiled picks and still landed Bryant easily...

So I think it's pretty relevant that, right here today, the Bills could have had a Team with McKennie (or Freeny), Will Smith, Matt Schaub, Justin Tuck, Ngata, Revis, Clady, Matthews Jr, and Bryant...Folks might not like the truth, or the history, but it is what it is...And it's most definitely the reason this Team is exactly where it is today...I really don't understand why anyone would expect anything other than negativity on this topic...What is there to be positive about?...You can only get so much mileage out of Kyle Williams... B-)

excellent post...we just draft so poorly its not funny. to a casual fan with so much info out there it seems that when we pick there are these no brainer picks and the bills try to outsmart everyone and end up outsmarting themselves with the pick. ralph has let it go on for so long that the only way to stop it is with a new owner imo. it just so frustrating watching them make dumb decision after dumb decision. seriously there should be a committee of fans that the draft room should call and check with to see if they make the right pick

All we have to do is go with the obvious choice. McKinney was the obvious choice over Williams. Ngata was the obvious choice over Whitner. Dalls Clark over mcgahee (we had travis henry) CJ Spiller was not the obvious choice and his play has shown it this year.

Obvious Choice? Offensive and Defensive Line. Get the best player available. If a franchise caliber linebacker or tight end is available, go for him. Quarterback? another losing proposition that won't really help this team yet. There will be qb's in future drafts when we need them.