Jim Harbaugh

Talley56

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We keep talking about drafting Luck but I'd rather go after another Stanford guy in Harbaugh if he decides to leave and try for a job in the NFL. I know a lot of people like Gailey and he hasn't even had a full year yet but I ask, what has he done? The improvement in our offense in my opinion is more of a credit to Fitzpatrick than Gailey (remember, our offense looked good last year when Fitz was at QB as well). I've heard people compliment his "half time adjustments" but I'm just not seeing them. And our defense is suffering because we have a head coach who only knows offense. As for Harbaugh, he can keep us consistent on both offense and defense. His brother has done a great job in Baltimore. I am confident he can make a positive transition to the NFL and he can help Fitz with his accuracy issues. I'm sure I will get a lot of disagreements on this and I know Gailey hasn't had much time but I'm telling you, we would not miss much if we dumped Gailey whereas we could be missing out on a potentially great chance with Harbaugh.

It pays to pay attention !! Harbaugh was asked last year & said NO !! Plus with jobs such as San Fransisco , Carolina , Cincy , possibly Jacksonville coming open & the fact that Gailey is in his first season , has made improvements on the team , the team likes him along with the fans , plus Nix would have to let him go & seeing as Nix picked him IT AIN"T HAPPENING !!!!!!

So wake up dude your having a wet dream !! Clean your self up and have a cup of coffee & come back to reality !!!

Having talent is not the issue. The real issue is how does your talent level compare to the opposition. The Pats and Jets and to a lesser extent Miami are still more advanced than the Bills are at this stage of their multiple year rebuilding process. In the next draft the Pats have multiple picks in the first three rounds. The gap with them will widen.

There are plenty of clones here who believe that the Bills are knocking at the door. What they don't realiize is they still have to travel many miles before they can get at that door to knock on it.

Talent is the issue as well as familiarity with the system.

A.) System -

1.) offense began to jell after game 3 and coincidently with change of QB's.

2.) defense began getting it in game 9. players began reacting to the situations, instead of thinking, reading, then reacting.

B.) Talent -

1. Rookie linemen (Carrington and Troup) have taken longer than we expected to learn the system, but appear to be coming on. We'll be able to evaluate their skill level over the next 5 games.

2.) We need LB's desperately. Poz at his point, IMHO, is the only one with true talent (it can be argued how much, but nonetheless the only one IMO).

As to the other teams in our division and their relative position vis-a-vis Buffalo. The Dolphins and Patriots are both close to us in points allowed and yards given up per game. Where we have been lacking is turnovers. Not being in reactive mode much of the season teams have been able to protect the football against us, until recently.

Therefore it is my belief that an infusion of Talent will propel this team upwards in the coming seasons.

We keep talking about drafting Luck but I'd rather go after another Stanford guy in Harbaugh if he decides to leave and try for a job in the NFL. I know a lot of people like Gailey and he hasn't even had a full year yet but I ask, what has he done? The improvement in our offense in my opinion is more of a credit to Fitzpatrick than Gailey (remember, our offense looked good last year when Fitz was at QB as well). I've heard people compliment his "half time adjustments" but I'm just not seeing them. And our defense is suffering because we have a head coach who only knows offense. As for Harbaugh, he can keep us consistent on both offense and defense. His brother has done a great job in Baltimore. I am confident he can make a positive transition to the NFL and he can help Fitz with his accuracy issues. I'm sure I will get a lot of disagreements on this and I know Gailey hasn't had much time but I'm telling you, we would not miss much if we dumped Gailey whereas we could be missing out on a potentially great chance with Harbaugh.

I have to ask how old you are? Under 15? I've just never seen anyone say that coaches don't affect how teams play before. I mean in the same post you say Chan has done nothing to improve the Bills, that all the Bills players just improved on their own, then you argue we need a new coach like Jim Harbaugh to make our players better? :blink:

Just to set you straight, EVERYTHING you see on the Bills offense is directly thanks to Chan Gailey. Football, probably more than any other sport, is all about coaching. Look at the talent some teams have, the Bengals are an example, who can't tie their own shoes. Then look at the Bills who could buy a first down last year and are now one of the NFL's better offenses, with mostly the SAME PLAYERS! How you can't see that is beyond comprehension.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Having talent is not the issue. The real issue is how does your talent level compare to the opposition. The Pats and Jets and to a lesser extent Miami are still more advanced than the Bills are at this stage of their multiple year rebuilding process. In the next draft the Pats have multiple picks in the first three rounds. The gap with them will widen.

There are plenty of clones here who believe that the Bills are knocking at the door. What they don't realiize is they still have to travel many miles before they can get at that door to knock on it.

They'll be "knocking on the door" next year John. Wait and see.

Let's give Chan a chance, eh?

The issue isn't whether fans should give Chan a chance. It's whether or not the front office gives Chan a chance to succeed. This point is why so many candidates avoided Buffalo like the plague this past off-season.

A HC wants to work in a place he'll have a reasonable opportunity to succeed. In Chan's case, he was hired because he was willing to take the job, whereas Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier, and Russ Grimm weren't for unknown reasons. It's very likely that respected coaching candidates know something's amiss in Buffalo and have reacted accordingly.

The problem is that the door they are knocking on is in the wrong neighborhood.

You have said the same thing for the past 10 years. :rolleyes: LOL

We'll see John. The Bills look like they found the QB they've needed for years. But I know you need to keep feeling pessimistic because Ralph is still the owner. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the bashing of Gailey whatsoever.

Sure, Harbaugh was a gutsy QB when he played for the Colts, and seems to be doing a very respectable job at Stanford. He most likely would succeed at the NFL level.

But Gailey has basically taken the roster he got from Jauron, and gotten more offensive production out of the usual suspects. The offensive line, with credit to the offensive PHILOSOPHY, is not giving up sacks and having our QB be a target for opposing pass rushers.

I'm not talking about stats here, but we are converting our 3rd and longs. We're even converting on 4th down. We're tops in the league with scoring in the red zone.

What's not to like?

I'm intrigued to see what Gailey can do with more talent. Does anyone miss Lynch? Hardly? Reed? Chambers? Peters (don't answer that one- just testing to see if anyone is reading this)?

Our receiving corp is finally being utilized. Parrish is finally being used right. We also will have Easley coming in next year (hopefully), with a year of study under his belt and a need to prove himself. Parrish, Johnson, Evans, Easley, and Nelson? 5-wide sounds awesome.

Heck, we might even have found some new TE's from this week. REAL TE's. Not this garbage we've been fed since Riemersma left for Pittsburgh.

Does anyone know why Shawn Nelson is not being used more at TE? Is he injured again, or is he just not getting it done?

Anyways, wanting to get rid of Gailey really makes no sense at this point.

What he is preaching is working.

The issue isn't whether fans should give Chan a chance. It's whether or not the front office gives Chan a chance to succeed. This point is why so many candidates avoided Buffalo like the plague this past off-season.

A HC wants to work in a place he'll have a reasonable opportunity to succeed. In Chan's case, he was hired because he was willing to take the job, whereas Ron Rivera, Jim Harbaugh, Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier, and Russ Grimm weren't for unknown reasons. It's very likely that respected coaching candidates know something's amiss in Buffalo and have reacted accordingly.

I don't understand your point.

All of those other candidates are done. Over with. History. Everyone has moved on.

All Gailey has done since coming in is turn the offense around, bring in a solid strength program and coaching ranks, and get this team on the right track.

Remember those frustrating losses under Jauron/ Mularkey/ Williams, where you would scratch your head, unable to put your finger on it, but having to deal with how could they lose that game? "We have to learn how to win" was the oft-used quote by the players. But something intangible was missing. A sort of competitive swagger. A seriousness. An intensity. An attitude. The Bills from 01-09 did not have it.

This team does. Taking the Ravens to OT? Chiefs? Steelers? These are supposed to be "superior" teams. Beating the Lions and Bengals? The Bills had been winless, remember. The first 5 games they looked terrible. They have come out of the bye playing inspired, competitive, and exciting football again.

Who's going to pull the carpet out from under Chan when he has reignited the competitive juices of the Buffalo Bills again?

No, Gailey is turning the ship around back to respectability, and in a relatively short period of time.

It's the difference between someone who knows what they are doing and those that don't. Mularkey, Jauron, and Williams didn't have a clue. They're good coordinators. Not head coaches. Gailey's got it.

Besides...winning cures all ills. If things continue like they are and we lose Modrak or Nix takes over the draft, we will become more talented. I can only imagine how much better we will be with a few more talented players at key positions (DE, OLB, ILB, LT, RT, TE).

Then those guys who dissed the Bills can sit back and be jealous.

Edited by Red

I don't understand your point.

All of those other candidates are done. Over with. History. Everyone has moved on.

Besides...winning cures all ills. If things continue like they are and we lose Modrak or Nix takes over the draft, we will become more talented. I can only imagine how much better we will be with a few more talented players at key positions (DE, OLB, ILB, LT, RT, TE).

You list 6 positions featuring at least 7 players the team needs more talent at to be successful. That's almost a third of the starting roster, including 2 of the 3 most difficult to find: LT and 2x OLB. Finding players like this takes a couple years and isn't a slam dunk with Buffalo's recent draft history. Then again, Buffalo's mastered the ability to perpetually rebuild while creating hype to make it appear progress is actually happening.

The point isn't Gailey being hired. The point is why Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier, Brian Schottenheimer, and Jim Harbaugh declined an interview or pulled their name from consideration before Gailey's hiring. Five name candidates turning the job down tells me that a lot of people know the organization isn't going to do its utmost to help a HC win.

It cannot be assumed this franchise will expedite the rebuilding process via free agency either. And if not, why? The fans have been waiting 11 seasons for a playoff team and Gailey himself can't do it (that's win) without help from the front office.

Edited by BillsVet

This team needs to try and fulfill the direction that is currently in place by Nix and Gailey. You have to at minimum give Gailey and Nix another year to follow this through. You can't follow up a big change in the structure of the organization and the coaching staff just a year later with another big change.

A team needs to follow through on its vision. Gailey deserves another year the team has had a tremendous offensive improvement and is playing highly competitive football against elite teams. Given a top 5 pick and another offseason to acquire talent and tweak the team I think Gailey can turn this team around to a good record.

Now if next year this team falls apart and goes 5-11 yeah I think we can Gailey and Nix but you have to at least give them another year.

You are not seeing the halftime adjustments? What was out scoring the Bungles 35-0 in the second half? What was doing to the Steelers in the second half what they did to us in the first half, they were both like two separate games within the game, that is called adjustments...

Fitzgibbons said after the game that the offense made NO adjustments at all at halftime in the Steelers game. They liked the game plan going in, felt they didn't get a chance to use it much in the first half because they never got going, then did the exact same thing in the second half and it worked. Just sayin.'

That said, I like Gailey and what he has brought, especially the toughness and no nonsense approach. He's a smart football man and the best coach we have had in a long time, IMO. At least after less than one season. It will have to translate into wins. It remains to be seen if his choice of DC is NFL caliber. But I really like him at this point in his tenure.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

If you expect there to be some meaningful free agent pickups this offseason then you are going to be very disappointed. Because the CBA was re-opened and a new one has to be negotiated that is going to deter free agency movement in general. Organizations are not going to commit large sums of money and extended contracts until the new Union/Owner contract is established.

The rebuilding process is going to be done primarily through the draft. It is a multi-year process. It is as simple as that. The owner has publicly acknowledged that the process is going to be an extended process. This organization is not going to splurge on free agents. Odds are that very few organizations are going to pursue upper tier free agents this offseason. The emphasis will be in retaining one's own players with less interest in pursuing outside talent.

Because of the CBA negotiation the Bills moreso than most other teams are going to be hurt with the probable late re-opening of camp or even season. Last year, the Bills were able to get an extended look at their draftees and free agent rookie picks. The Bills were able to add players such as David Nelson, Coleman and Jones because of the standard training camp. Next year is certainly going to be different if a deal doesn't get done sooner rather than later.

You list 6 positions featuring at least 7 players the team needs more talent at to be successful. That's almost a third of the starting roster, including 2 of the 3 most difficult to find: LT and 2x OLB. Finding players like this takes a couple years and isn't a slam dunk with Buffalo's recent draft history. Then again, Buffalo's mastered the ability to perpetually rebuild while creating hype to make it appear progress is actually happening.

The point isn't Gailey being hired. The point is why Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier, Brian Schottenheimer, and Jim Harbaugh declined an interview or pulled their name from consideration before Gailey's hiring. Five name candidates turning the job down tells me that a lot of people know the organization isn't going to do its utmost to help a HC win.

It cannot be assumed this franchise will expedite the rebuilding process via free agency either. And if not, why? The fans have been waiting 11 seasons for a playoff team and Gailey himself can't do it (that's win) without help from the front office.

As far as the talent goes, do you think that somehow we don't need those positions?

My point is that Gailey is doing quite a remarkable job given what he inherited from the inept Modrak and Jauron era.

We are finishing games. Something that has not happened in 10 years. We have offensive firepower, are moving the chains and keeping drives alive, and scoring when we get into the red zone (something other than field goals).

As far as the second paragraph: what is past is past. I could care less why those guys would not allow themselves to be considered. Bottom line is Gailey is doing the job. What difference does it make if any of those guys turned us down, if we are improving? You also forgot to add Holmgren (who was pretty vocal about NOT coming to Buffalo- he chose Cleveland. Go figure), Shanahan, Cowher, and Gruden.

The issue is that the ghost of Bill Walsh could have turned down the Bills coaching position, but if Gailey is doing the job and getting us moving in the right direction, who cares why the other names did not want to come to the Bills?

Everybody seems to forget that when Jim Kelly was drafted, he did not come, and instead opted to be the QB of the high-powered USFL Houston Gamblers. It was only when that folded that he decided to come to Buffalo. Cornelius Bennett also balked. As did Bruce Smith. Buffalo was a poor team. A perennial punching bag. Nobody wanted to come to Buffalo.

But man, did winning change everything. Now Kelly wants to buy the Bills and keep them in WNY once Ralph sells. Kelly and Thurman live in WNY. Reed and Tasker and Talley are regulars. So much for not wanting to come to the Bills.

And why are you so certain that any of those names will translate into excellent head coaches? I'm not saying that they won't, but I would think that all of those people that you mentioned are greater unknowns at the HC position than Gailey. You seem to be indicating with no evidence that he is somehow inferior to the "hot" commodities that you listed. I don't see it.

As to your third argument, I agree that our scouting under Modrak has been horrible. See: Aaron Maybin. Nix has also publicly come out several times in the media stating that the Bills will not be big players in free agency, will develop through the draft, etc. So, yes...we won't be making the big name splash in free agency, either.

But here you go with names again. Most times, a free agent is somebody else's problem. You don't know how that player is going to perform for you, you are relying on other teams tape, input, and philosophy. One only need refer back to Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker, Darwin Walker, Robert Royal, and Larry Triplett to understand what I am talking about. Who's to say a name is going to deliver.

Look at Albert Haynesworth. Time has proven that his last year in Tennessee was all about the benjamins. He was unbeatable when he wanted to be. Now with the Redskins he is dead weight. Names don't guarantee success.

Gailey is doing an excellent job with what he has, and IMO none of the names you are so covetous of could do a better job than what Chan and crew are doing right now.

As far as the talent goes, do you think that somehow we don't need those positions?

My point is that Gailey is doing quite a remarkable job given what he inherited from the inept Modrak and Jauron era.

Gailey is doing an excellent job with what he has, and IMO none of the names you are so covetous of could do a better job than what Chan and crew are doing right now.

This is not a pro or anti Gailey argument. A HC does not operate in a vacuum, but exists as a part of a bigger entity. Gailey can't sign UFA's nor has all the power in the draft room. Gailey merely coaches what he's given with some input but not final say on personnel.

This is a bigger problem than you seem to comprehend. Building a roster is an organizational endeavor and if the front office is unwilling to commit the resources to sign quality free agents and draft the best players, HC's aren't going to your team. Plain and simple. No self-respecting coach wants to work in an environment where he has anything less than full support from the front office and a budget to back it up. Unless he can't find a job elsewhere.

If you don't openly wonder why people declined Buffalo's request to interview for their HC position, your hand is stuck in the sand. This is about giving the HC the resources to succeed or not. And if the Bills elect to pass on signing quality free agents, it tells me they're not committed to winning as quickly as possible. And I'm not talking about paying for head-cases like Haynesworth or signing mega deals like Peppers. Some quality free agents can be had for less, and the HC would absolutely want someone who can help now as opposed to a bunch of street free agents or unproven (but hyped) rookies. You can't teach experience, and HC's know this.

This is not a pro or anti Gailey argument. A HC does not operate in a vacuum, but exists as a part of a bigger entity. Gailey can't sign UFA's nor has all the power in the draft room. Gailey merely coaches what he's given with some input but not final say on personnel.

This is a bigger problem than you seem to comprehend. Building a roster is an organizational endeavor and if the front office is unwilling to commit the resources to sign quality free agents and draft the best players, HC's aren't going to your team. Plain and simple. No self-respecting coach wants to work in an environment where he has anything less than full support from the front office and a budget to back it up. Unless he can't find a job elsewhere.

If you don't openly wonder why people declined Buffalo's request to interview for their HC position, your hand is stuck in the sand. This is about giving the HC the resources to succeed or not. And if the Bills elect to pass on signing quality free agents, it tells me they're not committed to winning as quickly as possible. And I'm not talking about paying for head-cases like Haynesworth or signing mega deals like Peppers. Some quality free agents can be had for less, and the HC would absolutely want someone who can help now as opposed to a bunch of street free agents or unproven (but hyped) rookies. You can't teach experience, and HC's know this.

You're something else buddy (pun intended) you're practically calling Nix stupid and a liar.

From day one he's telling you and the fanbase that this is not a strange science, that common sense is needed to run a franchise, that communication between GM and Coach is paramount for goals to be achieved. That drafting well and further development of said draftees is key to a winning franchise, that the main focus sould not be FA solely as an instrument for getting better.

Go watch a vid from BB.com and Gailey tells the fans that he is in constant communication with Buddy to make the roster better.

Who should I believe? Gailey and the numerous moves this front office is making trying to "get the right combination" (Gailey's prhase) or BillsVet? a guy that even when he speculates about something he does it in a negative light towards the franchise he loves?