Jim Harbaugh

Talley56

If you don't openly wonder why people declined Buffalo's request to interview for their HC position, your hand is stuck in the sand. This is about giving the HC the resources to succeed or not. And if the Bills elect to pass on signing quality free agents, it tells me they're not committed to winning as quickly as possible. And I'm not talking about paying for head-cases like Haynesworth or signing mega deals like Peppers. Some quality free agents can be had for less, and the HC would absolutely want someone who can help now as opposed to a bunch of street free agents or unproven (but hyped) rookies. You can't teach experience, and HC's know this.

The thing is, we really have no idea who did and didn't decline requests to interview, and if they did, what were the REAL reasons for it. I read reports, and happen to believe myself that the Bills tried to interview Harbaugh, and he turned us down. But I don't know if that happened. And I could easily imagine that Harbaugh would have turned almost everyone down because he wanted one more year at Stanford and with Luck and the team he knew was going to be very good. We don't know the reasons. He may have nothing whatsoever against Buffalo or coaching here.

I could understand why a guy like Shanahan would turn down the Bills in a year where the Redskins were looking to hire. And some guys love the spotlights and some guys don't. Cowher was going to turn anyone down. I read reports that Leslie Frazier declined the job, but it turns out that wasn't true. He wanted it and said so himself this week.

Cowher was the one that recommended the Bills hire Gailey and Cowher was the top candidate. One can assume if he is the top candidate he knows a little about coaching (whether he is a great coach or not is debatable but it's not really debatable that he was the consensus top candidate for any job).

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're something else buddy (pun intended) you're practically calling Nix stupid and a liar.

From day one he's telling you and the fanbase that this is not a strange science, that common sense is needed to run a franchise, that communication between GM and Coach is paramount for goals to be achieved. That drafting well and further development of said draftees is key to a winning franchise, that the main focus sould not be FA solely as an instrument for getting better.

Go watch a vid from BB.com and Gailey tells the fans that he is in constant communication with Buddy to make the roster better.

Who should I believe? Gailey and the numerous moves this front office is making trying to "get the right combination" (Gailey's prhase) or BillsVet? a guy that even when he speculates about something he does it in a negative light towards the franchise he loves?

Where did I mention the GM or who that happens to be, or insinuated that he's an idiot? This issue goes straight to the highest level and what their priority is.

Perhaps we should revisit the SD rebuild earlier this decade that homers credit to Nix. They signed free agents, drafted possibly 2 HOFers with their fist two picks, and it still took them 4 off seasons and 3 regular seasons to be a good team. And that was a team that had Butler, AJ Smith, and Buddy. Guess what, it's not easy filling a roster with enough talent to win. Some teams do it, some perennially can't. UFA isn't the basis for rebuilding, it's a means if augmenting and accelerating the process.

No one in sports speaks their mind all the time this side of Ozzie Guillen. I certainly didn't expect Buddy to come out and say he'd been denied multiple times to interview HC candidates in January. But that's not the point here. Buddy does not run this franchise, he's the GM. He works within a budget set up by the top people in the franchise, to include the treasurer, COO, and RW himself. And, he was hired into an organization low on the credibility meter the result of hiring people like Marv and Mr. Smithers-Brandon as GM. That'll get you noticed negatively in the league I guarantee you.

Do I trust Buddy to speak the truth? Heck no and that's fine. No GM ever reveals everything, which is the way it should be. Then again, this is a guy who said they got 35 calls a day for the HC vacancy and continued by saying they weren't that far away. So whom do you trust, the guy who says the franchise may not be committed to winning, or a guy who said their phones were jammed while many respected assistants were saying no to even interviewing. It goes both ways.

Subterfuge happens and is accepted, but blatant exaggeration in the face of overwhelming evidence shouldn't. It insults fans' intelligence.

Subterfuge happens and is accepted, but blatant exaggeration in the face of overwhelming evidence shouldn't. It insults fans' intelligence.

I bet if today you asked Ozzie Newsome, John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis, Mike Tomlin, Art Rooney, and dozens of other highly respected football men around the league, they would say the Bills "are not that far away."