Hines Ward calls out the league

Rob's House

Lee Evans has endured some of the worst quarterback play in Bills history- Bills fans should never forget it just because now he's finally diminishing...

Uhh...OK.

Anyway, Moulds endured, Rob Johnson, KElly Holcomb, AVP and JP LOSMAN.

Nice try.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh...OK.

Nice try.

Kelly Holcomb and Rob Johnson actually put their teams in position to win in the playoffs.

Lee Evans had both Losman AND Edwards to play with, guys who did NOTHING.

Uhh...OK.

Nice try.

Pro bowlers Doug Flutie and Drew Bledsoe say hi.

No one has had worse QB play than Evans. Yet, he is still off to the best career start of any Bills' receiver in history.

Pro bowlers Doug Flutie and Drew Bledsoe say hi.

No one has had worse QB play than Evans. Yet, he is still off to the best career start of any Bills' receiver in history.

Hi guys!

But the fact remains that that sequence of QB's is the worst.

Isn't the whole thing inherently hypocritical? The NFL keeps getting bigger, faster, stronger guys to play a collision sport because that's the time-proven way to win the game and the collisions are an inherent part of the product, yet they want to portray that they are pulling out all the stops on safety, etc.

History lesson:

http://www.leatherhelmetillus.com/forward_pass.html

He makes some excellent points about how hypocritical the NFL is.

The whole bull **** with Kenny and his bowling ball for example.

The NFL stated they wanted a wholesome family friendly environment at the games. Yet they are happy to sell you as much alcohol as you want to buy inside the stadium.

The NFL states that the safety of the players is a big concern. Yet they sell "greatest hit" DVDs celebrating the violent nature of the game.

The NFL thinks far too much of itself. On a world scale they are nothing. The way game attendance is going for a lot of teams combined with the never ending greed of the NFL owners and players leads me to believe a implosion might not be too far off. I for one cannot wait for that to happen so maybe these !@#$s will come back down to earth.

So many of his comments were sooooo poorly thought out that it does make you wonder about the hits hes taken

NFL doesnt want players to drink?

You mean because they suspend them for DWIs? Or because coach doesnt like when they come to practice hungover? Or they inform them that bad things tend to happen after 2am?

League isnt concerned about safety if they want to add games?

maybe if players were hold accountable, the injuries would go down, in spite of an extended schedule. More time on the field but less dirty hits?

He also had comments about goodell being the one appeals go through (not true), fines are never overturned (not true), and my favorite "you cant hit qbs in the head, you cant hit them in the knees? where are you supposed to hit them"

it really seems whats most difficult for the steelers players is that their coaches and teammates are saying yes thats legal, and the nfl is saying no thats not. at that point what do you do as a player?

maybe instead of finding other teams getting away with hits, they need to focus on cleaning up their own.

you can't get voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by your peers repeatedly, and than expect to be the voice of reason... this is like a criminal using another criminal as a character reference :thumbdown:

They have a actual vote/award for dirtiest player?

As for character reference, politicians do it all the time. That's a criminal using another criminal as a character reference.

I think he makes valid points. Andre johnson got fined 25k for throwing three haymakers while harrison got fined 25k for what last year (or even earlier this year) would have been a legal hit. The nfl is very hypocritical and kudos to ward for saying such.

I for one really like the ESPN interview they had with the head of officiating, don't know if that's his title or not, and they brought up how the refs are fining people after watching replays well into the week after the game is over and then the ESPN anchor brought up how the refs were not using the replay system to revert bad calls(on plays or questionable hits) and the guy basically said they are doing it to fine the players and not make the refs look bad.

YOU STAY CLASSY NFL!!!

It all comes down to what team you are a fan of.

Here it was mostly "left his feet", "helmet to head/chin", "dirty player", "suspend him" etc. etc..

Over in Steeler forums (I looked) it was all "clean hit", "facemask to chest/shoulder", "how could they even call a penalty much less a fine" etc. etc..

I am certain if it had been Poz hitting Pigben the posts on the forums would have been reversed.

Though I cannot imagine Gailey putting his foot in his mouth like Tomlin did :)

I can't argue with you on how fans "spin or slant" the truth - that's what we do,

but with Harrison the argument has more to do with his documented history of questionably

dangerous helmet hits. When taken as a whole, one can make the argument that he needs to

change his technique a bit.

You can still be violent and de-cleat a guy without leading or aiming first with your helmet.

As to Ward's calling out the hypocrisy of the NFL?

Ummm duh, of course they are hypocrites.

They are a profit-driven business that on one hand markets itself as the beer-guzzling, sexy-cheerleader

ogling, manly, violent, physical sport that we love.... while yet trying to portray themselves as caring and philanthropic.

It's all about ensuring that their positive marketing campaign caters to the most people.

Think of them as the tobacco industry of profession sports in America before all the lawsuits. B-)

The NFL is draped in hypocrisy. A player cant wear one sock too high, but the league draped the entire damn game in pink FOR A MONTH...which I know was for a good cause....but was STILL executed as tacky as hell. I mean...pink mouthguards? Come on.

More to the issue at hand....defensive players have become glorified missles. Its not even "tackling" anymore. Its LUNGING, head first in the hopes NOT of wrapping up the player and bringing him to the ground, but hitting him full speed and knocking him to the ground by impact. Its killing the game and is leading to a loss in football fundamentals that could kill the NFL the way the loss of basketball fundamentals killed the NBA. Here, I applaud the league for trying to put "the tackling" back into tackle football.

Edited by RkFast

I can't argue with you on how fans "spin or slant" the truth - that's what we do,

but with Harrison the argument has more to do with his documented history of questionably

dangerous helmet hits. When taken as a whole, one can make the argument that he needs to

change his technique a bit.

You can still be violent and de-cleat a guy without leading or aiming first with your helmet.

As to Ward's calling out the hypocrisy of the NFL?

Ummm duh, of course they are hypocrites.

They are a profit-driven business that on one hand markets itself as the beer-guzzling, sexy-cheerleader

ogling, manly, violent, physical sport that we love.... while yet trying to portray themselves as caring and philanthropic.

It's all about ensuring that their positive marketing campaign caters to the most people.

Think of them as the tobacco industry of profession sports in America before all the lawsuits. B-)

As it turns out though, i think you can get advertising dollars from beer companies while still promoting a family atmosphere. Beer and kids can coexist in the same setting provided people arent drinking in ways that are reckless. Having a 6 packs worth while tailgating/attending a game is way different then the guys pounding a handle of whiskey. Regulating something doesnt have to mean you are against it, it can also mean you just want responsible use.

you can have a very physical game without risking lives or paralysis.

why does it have to be one or the other on these issues? why cant they acknowledge that a large portion of the audience likes something, but try to regulate those things are done in a way minimizing risk of death?

i think most of us do enjoy beer, women, and big hits..... but hate seeing someone on the turf paralyzed, or throwing up in the stands.... in that way id say the NFL is trying to mirror its target audience -- responsible family men, who like to cut loose and have some fun.

As it turns out though, i think you can get advertising dollars from beer companies while still promoting a family atmosphere. Beer and kids can coexist in the same setting provided people arent drinking in ways that are reckless. Having a 6 packs worth while tailgating/attending a game is way different then the guys pounding a handle of whiskey. Regulating something doesnt have to mean you are against it, it can also mean you just want responsible use.

you can have a very physical game without risking lives or paralysis.

why does it have to be one or the other on these issues? why cant they acknowledge that a large portion of the audience likes something, but try to regulate those things are done in a way minimizing risk of death?

i think most of us do enjoy beer, women, and big hits..... but hate seeing someone on the turf paralyzed, or throwing up in the stands.... in that way id say the NFL is trying to mirror its target audience -- responsible family men, who like to cut loose and have some fun.

I wholeheartedly agree with the middle ground approach of moderation.

But it is more fun to take an extreme position on either side :devil:

When two morons want to fight and hurt each other and are both willing participants, who the heck cares if they get fined or hurt? Now when you have a 275 pound linebacker leaving his feet head first into a defenseless quarterback, receiver or whatever, than a fine is deservable, so is a suspension when you have been fined 5 freaking times in one season and are to damn dumb to get the message. Mike Tomlin lost a lot of people's respect too, saying we should feel sorry for Harrison's kids, they need to go to college. Is that the dumbest thing or what? I wish I just had the money a year that he has been fined, much less his salary, of which the fine isn't even noticeable. The old man Rooney has to be turning in his grave, having always had a classy organization. They have probably the NFL's two dirtiest players, a serial rapist at quarterback and a coach who now is going to be known for saying simply retarded statements. I guess the current Steelers are no different than any other team, all that counts is winning, didn't use to be that way with that organization.

First I think anyone who is a fan of this team would take those dirty players if it came along with the two super bowls they won

Secondly I wasn't talking about whether or not harrison should have been fined simply that fighting is much worse for the game than that hit

Thirdly the size difference btwn finnegan and johnson is nothing to sneeze at although I recognize finnegan is noted for being dirty the punishments hardly match up imo.

Finally do you really think that johnson would not have been suspended if it wasn't right before a huge nfl network game that probably becomes a laugher if he doesn't play? Or if this game had no playoff implication? Imo he would have been... would this behavior have been tolerated from a bills lions browns panthers etc player?

Favorite new tag line and it fits.... come on man!

It all comes down to what team you are a fan of.

Here it was mostly "left his feet", "helmet to head/chin", "dirty player", "suspend him" etc. etc..

Over in Steeler forums (I looked) it was all "clean hit", "facemask to chest/shoulder", "how could they even call a penalty much less a fine" etc. etc..

I am certain if it had been Poz hitting Pigben the posts on the forums would have been reversed.

Though I cannot imagine Gailey putting his foot in his mouth like Tomlin did :)

POZ would have to get close enough to hit him - so that is unlikely

Would someone get him his bottle?

I can't hear what he's saying over all of his crying

Get real dude. I agree with him 100%. Goodell's ruining this league. With all the extending the schedule to 18 games and trying to get 2 London games every year now. Who cares about international play? NObody outside North America cares about this sport. And if you want to eliminate concussions in this game, theres an EASY solution to the problem. Make football a 2 hand touch league.