LOST - havn't discussed in a while

stevestojan

They are discussing LOST on Howard Stern Today.

I must say, this damn show just keeps getting better and better.

Anyway, according to this guy on Stern, the most popular theories are:

1) Earth was destroyed, and these people were the ones chosen to be taken to an Alien Planet - the last remaining humans.

2) Purgatory.

3) The Doctor, Jack, is the only one that survived and all of the other characters are just a figment in his mind.

I don't know, I hope its not the Alien thing, but whatever. Thought I would just bring it up. Anyone still watching?

<SPOILER IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH THIS WEDNESDAY>

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

I thought for sure Charlie was dead this past week.

Riddle me this. Hurley did the census by comparing people's names with those on the manifest and noticed that Ethan wasn't on the list.

We know Sawyer is using an assumed name- the name of the man who ripped off his family and caused his parent's death. How come his name, Sawyer, was on the manifest?

An easy answer was that he had a total identity change and travelled under that name. The other answers are more interesting.

The only reason I brought it up was because of his conversation with the little kid last night where they talked about people travelling under different names and that perhaps there were other islanders among the survivors.

Riddle me this. Hurley did the census by comparing people's names with those on the manifest and noticed that Ethan wasn't on the list.

We know Sawyer is using an assumed name- the name of the man who ripped off his family and caused his parent's death. How come his name, Sawyer, was on the manifest?

An easy answer was that he had a total identity change and travelled under that name. The other answers are more interesting.

The only reason I brought it up was because of his conversation with the little kid last night where they talked about people travelling under different names and that perhaps there were other islanders among the survivors.

154762[/snapback]

Very good point. Didn't think about it, and I have no good answer...

What I am still trying to figure out is why they keep going back to the Backgammon game. The black vs. white. Not only do they play it alot (boredom, ok i get that), but even in the pregnant girl's dream, she saw Locke, and his eyes were made from Backgammon beads. . .

Very good point. Didn't think about it, and I have no good answer...

What I am still trying to figure out is why they keep going back to the Backgammon game. The black vs. white. Not only do they play it alot (boredom, ok i get that), but even in the pregnant girl's dream, she saw Locke, and his eyes were made from Backgammon beads. . .

154775[/snapback]

Not sure. However, I heard on the radio yesterday that they're going to be re-showing the first two episodes over the next two weeks, and will point out clues during the show. Not sure how that will work, but it could be interesting.

CW

Not sure.  However, I heard on the radio yesterday that they're going to be re-showing the first two episodes over the next two weeks, and will point out clues during the show.  Not sure how that will work, but it could be interesting.

CW

154834[/snapback]

I had the impression from the commerical that ABC was giving you another chance to catch the clues....which if true, is kind of a lame way to justify re-runs...

1) Earth was destroyed, and these people were the ones chosen to be taken to an Alien Planet - the last remaining humans.

2) Purgatory.

3) The Doctor, Jack, is the only one that survived and all of the other characters are just a figment in his mind.

154757[/snapback]

Bull, Bull, and then the back stories serve no purpose. Numbers 1 and 2 in particular...they're far too much "easy outs" for explaining everything, and so far this show hasn't been that simple.

The things I think I know about it now are:

1) Everyone who survived the Rosen did so for a reason.

2) If you want something bad enough on the island...you get it. (Locke goes from being a crippled middle manager to a skilled outdoorsman, Jack somehow revives an obviously dead Charlie).

3) Everyone who survived is running from something.

I love this freaking show! I agree, it keeps getting better and better. I was stunned beyond words with what happened to Charlie...I couldn't believe he had died. When Jack gave up on him, my wife and I were totally shocked. A little of the islands magic brought him back, me thinks.

How awesome is Locke? This guy kicks ass!

I am still going to stick with my theory that the island is in another/parallel dimension. I think there is some serious mojo working here that thrives on the troubles of the castaways, and that even if someone is a sh--, they can be made to see the light. This is my theory on Sajid and Sawyer. Each had a very very dark past, were brought together by the island and brought to a confrontation, and now almost seem to have developed a respect for one another.

I will def watch the first two episodes this weekend. I think its pretty cool that they're being reaired for the main purpose of giving people a chance to look for clues.

This show is not only immensly entertaining, but promotes almost as much discussion as the "Bledsoe sucks" topic. B)

Bull, Bull, and then the back stories serve no purpose.  Numbers 1 and 2 in particular...they're far too much "easy outs" for explaining everything, and so far this show hasn't been that simple. 

2) If you want something bad enough on the island...you get it.  (Locke goes from being a crippled middle manager to a skilled outdoorsman, Jack somehow revives an obviously dead Charlie).

154904[/snapback]

I agree, and there seems to be something very familiar about this. Does anyone remember maybe a Twilight Zone episode that worked this way? The ones I'm thinking of only ended badly, though.

Bull, Bull, and then the back stories serve no purpose.  Numbers 1 and 2 in particular...they're far too much "easy outs" for explaining everything, and so far this show hasn't been that simple. 

2) If you want something bad enough on the island...you get it.  (Locke goes from being a crippled middle manager to a skilled outdoorsman, Jack somehow revives an obviously dead Charlie).

154904[/snapback]

Excellent. I realized everyone wanted something, and Locke's wanting something. But DUH! yes, Jack wanted to bring someone back that was obviously gone. . . Now, what ever happened to things being predicted?

In the SECOND episode, with the polar bear, about 10 minutes before they run into the bear, the kid finds a comic, and the FIRST page he flips to, the page has a polar bear on it. I only know this because I watched it twice. I wouldnt have noticed that.

Excellent. I realized everyone wanted something, and Locke's wanting something. But DUH! yes, Jack wanted to bring someone back that was obviously gone. . .  Now, what ever happened to things being predicted?

In the SECOND episode, with the polar bear, about 10 minutes before they run into the bear, the kid finds a comic, and the FIRST page he flips to, the page has a polar bear on it. I only know this because I watched it twice. I wouldnt have noticed that.

154915[/snapback]

Ooh...now that's interesting.

Of interest to me is what the hell was that "thing" Locke encountered? Do you guys remember that episode? He was in the jungle by himself, he heard all this movement and crashing about, and all of a sudden he's looking up at something much larger than him. Was it another bear, standing on its hind legs? Hmmmm...whatever it was, he referenced it in the next episode by saying something like, "I've seen into the heart of the island," or something like that.

154915[/snapback]

Claire's dreaming someone's trying to kidnap her...and then someone does...Sayid's constantly trying to find the source of the broadcast...and does. Charlie goes off heroin in one day. :lol:

Sounds an awful like a plot device stolen from the old Star Trek episode "Shore Leave"...though if they did steal it, I don't begrudge them the theft of it. They're doing a great job with it.

Now that I think about that more deeply (you wish/dream/think it on the island, you get it)...I'm wondering who on the island "wished" the plane to Rosen a thousand miles off course... ;);)

There certainly does seem to be a lot of that "self-fulfilling prophecy stuffing going on, though I'm not sure that's how they got there.

I think it might be more that they were all destined to make that trip. Remember this too, for everyone who we know a lot about, some pretty significant events let to their being on that flight. And don't forget, that psychic directed Claire onto that flight because he knew it would Rosen. ACtually, Claire and Charlie touched on this concept last week.

If this show stays on, they are REALLY going to have to do something about the fat guy.

I mean, even on Survivor, people get EXTREMELY thin.

They did touch on this point on the show, which I thought was good, with him saying its not just all going to fall off at once, but jeez, the guy should be running about 10 miles a day to show SOME realistic bits.

Or they could just add a twist that he is hording food.

Oh, and does anyone else think this show seems like it goes by in about 20 minutes? I swear, it Juuust starts getting really good and the "LOST" shows up on the screen...

If this show stays on, they are REALLY going to have to do something about the fat guy.

I mean, even on Survivor, people get EXTREMELY thin. 

They did touch on this point on the show, which I thought was good, with him saying its not just all going to fall off at once, but jeez, the guy should be running about 10 miles a day to show SOME realistic bits.

Or they could just add a twist that he is hording food.

Oh, and does anyone else think this show seems like it goes by in about 20 minutes? I swear, it Juuust starts getting really good and the "LOST" shows up on the screen...

154967[/snapback]

Funny...my wife and I were talking about the same things the other night. In fact, they're all looking pretty good. Remember, though, at this point in the show they have only been on the island for about a week (this point was brought up in last weeks show). Seems longer, but that's all its been.

And without a doubt, this show is the fastest hour on TV! I am always very disappointed when each episode is over.

Hurley is going to end up being someone with either wealth or power when his flashback episode comes up. Maybe someone who is living off a trust-fund?

Playing backgammon with the kid, the kid told Hurley that he owed him 20 million dollars, Hurley walked away and said the he would get it....

Hurley is going to end up being someone with either wealth or power when his flashback episode comes up. 

Playing backgammon with the kid, the kid told Hurley that he owed him 20 million dollars, Hurley walked away and said the he would get it....

154995[/snapback]

it was $20,000 and I thought it was just a joke, but then again, most everything is literal in that show... you just might be onto something.

As Hurley is the comic relief (far too cliche for being the fat guy, but whatever) I wouldnt be surprised if we never get a "flashback" episode for him.

It was actually $20,000, but I do agree with you.  Hurley made a comment the week before, I think, about his being famous, or something like that.

154997[/snapback]

20,000.. oops. Also, I was thinking they were all dead and in some kind of 'sixth sense' limbo, but I have to re-think that after the flashback with the psychic. If he was so concerned about the raising of Claire's baby, then why would he put her on a plane that he knew Claire and her child would eventually die on?

20,000.. oops.  Also,  I was thinking they were all dead and in some kind of 'sixth sense' limbo, but I have to re-think that after the flashback with the psychic.  If he was so concerned about the raising of Claire's baby, then why would he put her on a plane that Claire and her child would eventually die on?

155011[/snapback]

The realization that Charlie brought to Claire's attention last week was that since the psychic was so concerned that she, and no one else, take care of the baby, he made sure she was on that plane, fully aware of what was going to happen.

Now, could her kidnapping by "Ethan" be evil at work, trying to take her "special" baby from her? Hmmmm.

As Hurley is the comic relief (far too cliche for being the fat guy, but whatever) I wouldnt be surprised if we never get a "flashback" episode for him.

155000[/snapback]

If we don't, I'll give you even odds he wasn't on the plane, but on the island to begin with...

The realization that Charlie brought to Claire's attention last week was that since the psychic was so concerned that she, and no one else, take care of the baby, he made sure she was on that plane, fully aware of what was going to happen.

155030[/snapback]

What I was asking was; why would he put her on the plane if he knew she would die? Unless, he knew she would not die? If that was the case, then that kills the 'purgatory' angle.

If we don't, I'll give you even odds he wasn't on the plane, but on the island to begin with...

155033[/snapback]

I would really like to see a twist like this, but I wouldn't be able to buy it because he's such a fatass (unless he hadn't been there long). Unless of course he has a Mickey D's hidden somewhere on the island.

If someone has them on DVR or TIVO, they should go back and see if he is shown on the plane in a flashback episode.

155050[/snapback]

Watch on Saturday...they're showing the first two episodes.

And maybe Hurley has been jonesing most of that boar they killed. ;)

I think the role of the Australian psychic is a big hint - about what, Im not sure.

He knew she had to be on the Island - that is why he said she had to go to LA - b/c he knew the plan would Rosen.

Now, why she needs to be on the island with the baby - or have the baby on the island - is all up for discussion. Im still trying to figure it out.

Any ideas?

I think the role of the Australian psychic is a big hint - about what, Im not sure.

He knew she had to be on the Island - that is why he said she had to go to LA - b/c he knew the plan would Rosen.

Now, why she needs to be on the island with the baby - or have the baby on the island - is all up for discussion. Im still trying to figure it out.

Any ideas?

155091[/snapback]

to ensure that she would raise the baby.

he knew if she stayed, she would give up the baby. He foresaw a terrible thing happening to the baby. So, he needed her to get onto a plane that would Rosen there, to ensure SHE would be the one to raise the baby. Remember he said if anyone but her raised it, something evil would happen.

Claire's dreaming someone's trying to kidnap her...and then someone does...Sayid's constantly trying to find the source of the broadcast...and does.  Charlie goes off heroin in one day:lol: 

Now that I think about that more deeply (you wish/dream/think it on the island, you get it)...I'm wondering who on the island "wished" the plane to Rosen a thousand miles off course...  ;)  ;)

154949[/snapback]

This concept of desire-and-receive is something I was wrapping my brain around too.

Maybe the c.r.a.s.h was "wished" by the (justifiably) crazy lady Sayid met. She did say somesuch thing like she was lonely.... Well, here's some company for her, even tho she doesn't want to be with them. Maybe Sayid's short prescence was enough. Or maybe it c.r.a.s.h.ed b/c she wanted her jewelry box to play the song again. Sayid fixed it. The desires do seem to be either something small or some quality w/in the character.

Some people have said they don't know how this can last beyond one season. I don't see that being a problem at this rate of discovery.

155033[/snapback]

I could almost believe something along those lines. It was Hurley's idea to put the Census together in the first place and most just begrudginly went along with the idea. But has anyone else actually looked at the census or the flight manifest besides Hurley..?

If there is another group of people who are on the Island,there is no saying how many of them there are at this point and how much food they may have.

I also have been seeing or linking together the wishes of people,and with what actually happens,I would have bought more into this had Charlie actually found Peanut Butter for Claire..

Also to play off the wish thing a little more with speculating who may have wanted the plane to c.r.a.s.h,what about the young kid,he pretty much despises his dad and seems very uninterested in even being with him,a flash back on him would be interesting..

Great show, I thought Charlie was a goner.

A few episodes back, the French woman and Sayid heard roaring outside the dugout and she told Sayid that they would be lucky if it were only the bears. What's worse than a rampaging polar bear? Very curious about the creatures on the isalnd.

Sayid heard voices all around him when he was running through the storm escaping the French woman. That was creepy. There seem to be many more people on the island than just the French woman and Ethan.

Locke is great. He's a collection agent for a box company? Locke Box. Get it? Ha.

I can't wait for this show to return. I guess it is January 5th. Long time to wait.

If they get what they wish for, you can't tell me that at least one of the men isn't wishing for a 5-some with 4 Playboy Playmates.

Can't wait for that episode...

155197[/snapback]

I'd take a threesome with Kate and the snob Shannon. For that matter, someone needs to give Shannon a good rogering just to shut her up.

I have been watching the past 5 episodes or so...

Is there actually supposed to be a real puzzle to solve or are you guys just discussing this in general? i.e. are there "real clues" to some answer that gets revealed intenionally at the end??