No Fun League Strikes again

richNjoisy

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL is ridiculous... how pathetic it is to fine players for being fun and emotional wen their actions don't harm anyone/anything. I myself love all the antics the players come up with, it makes them more personable to me.

The NFL is ridiculous... how pathetic it is to fine players for being fun and emotional wen their actions don't harm anyone/anything. I myself love all the antics the players come up with, it makes them more personable to me.

Im all for allowing celebrating. Just don't penalize the apposing team for payback when the time comes. Like helmets to the jaws and such. If you disrespect your opponent you should be prepared to accept the consequences. Just like the NHL

I think that this fine is fine by me.

The NFL needs a system which is designed to impact the behavior of not only good guys like Stevie Johnson but idiots like Terrel Owens. If players were allowed or encourage to have "fun" then every single touchdown would see players signing Sharpie aurographs, quoting the Joker (an amusing quote from my view given the Batman and Robin theme of TO and Ochocinquo), dropping trou, humping the goal post or doing some other exhibition designed to get attention.

In general, the attitude I find most appealing is when a player acts like he has been there before and does not feature a planned exhibition when he scored (at least the Stevie Johnson exhibition did involve some type of thought but if the Bills had lost the game I would have found this planned demo pretty annoying).

However, this relative minimal fine (compared to the 10s of thousands SJ makes every game and actually the ten of thousands he could make by presenting himself as the Joker to make a ton of money from endorsements of local companies (I can say without joking that XYX autos gives you a great deal.... or something like that) is small # for an NFL player.

However, if this small fine is enough to stop every NFL player from launching some demo after he scores and the threat of larger fines for a second offense is enough to keep this from happening a lot that is more than fine with me.

This was a special occasion with TO playing against his old teammates and the SJ T-Shirt was at least a semi-literate gibe back so having him pay 5K for this joke is fine. However, I agree with the fact the No Fun Leagu has a procedure which stops this Man-Boys from getting so invested in themselves that they lose track of the team natures of this game.

If Johnson really believe 5K is a small price to pay. If he is all about self-promotion then I welcome a huge fine for a second offense that would make him hurt.

That was excessive celebration ? really ? I suppose the league must be fining Packers players for the Lambeau Leap also ?

No, it's not an excessive celebration. It's a uniform violation.

Johnson knew he would be fined long before he showed that shirt, but he chose to do it anyway. It's no big deal.

Edited by shrader

Of course he got fined, why wouldn't he? Because he is on the Bills? Players have to know that they will get fined before they do something like that, if they don't they are quite dumb. I am actually surprised the fine wasn't more than it was, since they NFL would consider it a preplanned celebration, but I guess the amount reflected the fact that it was his first infraction. Let's hope he doesn't turn into another Ocho Stinko in the endzone. As Marv levy would have said "Act like you have been there before", show a little class.

Edited by billsfreak

Johnson knew he would be fined long before he showed that shirt, but he chose to do it anyway. It's no big deal.

Thanx. I disagree with the ruling anyway ... I won't be surprised if Gailey came forward and said he would pay the fine for Stevie

Im all for allowing celebrating. Just don't penalize the apposing team for payback when the time comes. Like helmets to the jaws and such. If you disrespect your opponent you should be prepared to accept the consequences. Just like the NHL

Disrespecting your opponent? That's a bit much in this instance.

I doubt that. Was the NE* celebration (mimicking the fake Minutemen) that resulted in a $10K fine also a uniform violation?

(I hope Goodell has similar fines in store for Ocho Stinko when he debuts the new end-zone TD celebration dance that he's been yakking up.)

:blink: $470K per year is hardly anything?

Granted it's way more than most of us make - but by the time Barry Obama, Dave Patterson, Chris Collins, the Town of Hamburg, and the NFLPA each get their 'piece', how much do you think is left?

(I'm also assuming those $15K in fines are 'after-tax' dollars that come right off his 'net' - after taxes, FICA, union dues, etc., etc. are deducted first.)

Edited by The Senator

Granted it's way more than most of us make - but by the time Barry Obama, Dave Patterson, Chris Collins, the Town of Hamburg, and the NFLPA each get their 'piece', how much do you think is left?

(I'm assuming those $15K in fines are 'after-tax' dollars.)

I would guess there is much more left than most of us on this board make over the course of several years.

Oh come on guys.

EVERYONE knew he was going to get fined.

It's an extremely minor fine.

This is totally expected and no big deal.

It's probably the best five thousand he ever spent, look how much national attention he got.

Edited by NaPolian8693