I am going to say it....Bills don't need a QB

Big Turk

I have been really behind drafting Luck for most of the season, but Fitz has completely changed me the past few games...

We can win with Fitz. With a better defense, we can make the playoffs. We certainly score enough points to win. I say we go heavy on defense in this draft...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been really behind drafting Luck for most of the season, but Fitz has completely changed me the past few games...

We can win with Fitz. With a better defense, we can make the playoffs. We certainly score enough points to win. I say we go heavy on defense in this draft...

Did/do you think we needed a running back with the #9 selection in the 2010 draft? I am NOT calling you out on this!!! What I'm driving at is do you want a qb if he is the BPA?

Did/do you think we needed a running back with the #9 selection in the 2010 draft? I am NOT calling you out on this!!! What I'm driving at is do you want a qb if he is the BPA?

Will the best player available give us the best chances of reaching the superbowl in the future? I think so, so my answer is, "Yes."

The answer to your question has to be an unqualified yes - I'm becoming a Fitzbeard fan but at the end of the day he is kind of like Joe Ferguson as compared to Jim Kelly to me. Fergy was a good but not great QB who could win with the right cast around him. Jim Kelly was a player that had the talent to lift a team (at least an offense)on his back and carry it. I am in no way saying Kelly was not surrounded by talent - there was plenty - he simply made the talent there even better. There are very few players who can carry a team - if one is available the Bills must take him.

The answer to your question has to be an unqualified yes - I'm becoming a Fitzbeard fan but at the end of the day he is kind of like Joe Ferguson as compared to Jim Kelly to me. Fergy was a good but not great QB who could win with the right cast around him. Jim Kelly was a player that had the talent to lift a team (at least an offense)on his back and carry it. I am in no way saying Kelly was not surrounded by talent - there was plenty - he simply made the talent there even better. There are very few players who can carry a team - if one is available the Bills must take him.

That point is where this discussion should stop. Look at what Kelly had around him compared to fitzy. He had a defense.Period. We have a learning and growing Defense. Period. Cant compare those apples. Crabapples to Macs possibly. Fitz as far as I can see is our answer at that position. We still have other questions and they will be answered

Edited by fansince88

How do you know if "he's" available? Will that first round QB be a Kelly or a Manning, or a Joey Harrington, David Carr, Heath Shuler, JeMarcus Russell, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, etc., etc. If what you have is good at QB, do you build a supporting cast on defense etc, or gamble on that elusive "franchise QB." If you are absolutely sure, for example, that Luck will be another Manning(Peyton, not Eli)or Brady(a 6th round pick of course)and not a backup like his Dad, then go for it. But you'd better be right, when there are so many areas of need, and you seem to have a capable QB who is just turning 28, and might continue to improve, as many QBs do, with time. At bottom, it's a crapshoot either way.

You didn't want to say it in the 4 or 5 other such threads?

Anyway---you would pass on Luck if he was there for us to take? To "go heavy on defense"? We drafted 9 of 17 to the defense the past 2 years--none is a starter other than Byrd.

I would much rather miss on a guy like Luck than missing on guys like Whitner and Maybin. I mean, why would you even think twice about this?

But, it's way too early to claim who our QB for next year is. There are 6 more games to play.

Calm down.

Anyway---you would pass on Luck if he was there for us to take? To "go heavy on defense"? We drafted 9 of 17 to the defense the past 2 years--none is a starter other than Byrd.

I would much rather miss on a guy like Luck than missing on guys like Whitner and Maybin. I mean, why would you even think twice about this?

But, it's way too early to claim who our QB for next year is. There are 6 more games to play.

Calm down.

Amazing how some ugly wins against two bad football teams will change peoples opinions.

+10000 Id rather see us draft D first 2 rounds than an OT, more D. We have a very ablke QB for now and it seems you cant teach what Fitz has

Calm down.

Who says Luck is even entering the draft? He is only a junior after all.

Well, a whole "should we draft Luck if he is available" discussion depends on him being available--assumes he will be in the draft. If he decides to stay then we will have to stop talking about him.

Amazing how some ugly wins against two bad football teams will change peoples opinions.

They were 9 points away from defeating teams with a combined 20-10 record. I know people need to be negative all the time, but they have been playing some good football.

I was always of the mindset that Fitz should remain a Bill for the rest of his career but if a franchise QB is there that you love, you can't pass on him. But at what point do you just say that Fitz is playing damn good football and he might be the guy? He's only 27 and we all know that it takes time for some QBs to develop. The way is he bounced back from those INTs is something we haven't seen in a long time.

We can't pass on Luck if we get a shot, but it might be riot if we ever bench Fitz.

I'm just guessing here, but I would say that the play of the QB is changing people's opinions, not the close wins vs crap teams. He played pretty spectacularly against the Ravens(29-43 382 yds 4 TDs 2 INTs), Patriots(20-28 247 yds 2 TDs 2 INTs), Bengals(21-34 316 yds 4 TDs 2 INTs) and Jacksonville(20-30 220 yds 3 TDs 0 INTs) with QB ratings in those games of 106.9 , 92.4 , 107.0 , 121.5 respectively. 3 of those 4 teams have winning records. I know he's gotta work on consistency and lowering INTs, but a 2-1 TD-INT ratio is pretty solid if you ask me (18 TDs-9 INTs).

I don't think that this Ryan Fitzpatrick bandwagon is nonsense. I think he needs to continue evolving as a QB, but I'm very excited with what I've seen from him this year and would have no problem at all trying to revamp our defense in the next draft (as long as Fitz continues performing like he's been...if he starts looking like a fool from here on out, my opinion changes. That being said, I don't think he will.).

and I'm going to say it you dont know a damn thing about football.

who would you rather have fitz or,brady,either manning,brees,flacco,ryan,big ben,palmer,rivers,vick,mcnabb,rogers,bradford, get the point?

look i like fitz and he is the best we have by a mile however in the NFL like polian and brandt and all the GM's who know their sh-t all say the most important thing on a football team is QB then LT.

its not a coincidence that all the teams that have franchise QB's are in the playoffs every year. its because they have the ability to elevate every player on the offense and make them better.

that being said the object of this game is to always improve yourself so if we can draft a potential franchise QB any GM worth his salt will do it.

want a perfect example. look at what SD did they had brees yet they still went ahead and drafted rivers and instantly started him.want to know why it was because they knew he was a rare talent,or as Nix said a no brain er. its called common sense.

franchise QB's dont grow on trees and if you can get one you damn well better or your dead.

this draft has @ LEAST 3 OR 4 potential FRANCHAISE qb's with one all world sure fire star in Luck. if Nix does not take one of these guys this year he should be fired but mark my words he will.

unfortunately its our buffalo bad Luck that we will not have a shot @ Luck however there are @ least 3 other QB's who we will be able to get hopefully and there is no doubt in my mind Nix will take one.

do i want fitz cut no. what i want is for fitz to tutor our new QB and be our second string QB. if we dont get Luck or Mallett or Locker maybe fitz will have to be our starter one more year but then is back to the bench.

mark my words we will get our QB of the future in the first round this year or we will trade back into the first round if we are unable to land luck with our own first round pick.

fitz is a great competitor but he is not a QB that can win us a super bowl. he simply does not possess the physical tools namely arm strength and accuracy to be a franchise QB and anyone who does not understand that does not know football plain and simple.

so just stop with all this fitz is our guy for the future BS because as much as all you guys have a man crush on him he is what he is a great backup and will never be a franchise QB.

Edited by oak tree 12

I strongly disagree. Joe Ferguson was the Matt Hasselbeck of his generation. Pretty good field general, but not a guy that could carry you with his arm. Ryan Fitzpatrick is proving to be much more like Jim Kelly than Joe Fergusan. Not for nothing, but Fergusan could only dream of throwing 18 touchdowns in 8 games.

How do you know if "he's" available? Will that first round QB be a Kelly or a Manning, or a Joey Harrington, David Carr, Heath Shuler, JeMarcus Russell, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, etc., etc. If what you have is good at QB, do you build a supporting cast on defense etc, or gamble on that elusive "franchise QB." If you are absolutely sure, for example, that Luck will be another Manning(Peyton, not Eli)or Brady(a 6th round pick of course)and not a backup like his Dad, then go for it. But you'd better be right, when there are so many areas of need, and you seem to have a capable QB who is just turning 28, and might continue to improve, as many QBs do, with time. At bottom, it's a crapshoot either way.

that the biggest bunch of crap i ever heard and it only shows you are clueless.

do you think anyone knew manning was a guaranteed great QB the answer is no but if he or another QB with his credentials is out there and you dont take him because there is always the chance for failure then you would never draft anyone.

you comment is completely asinine and ignorant and a ridiculous excuse not to draft a stud prospect because you are in love with fitz who is a good QB in a pinch who will never be great because he is not physically gifted enough to be great. what a bunch of crap!

I got to thinking about this last night......

- Luck is going to be a very good QB.....I dont think anyone is really questioning that

- There is a combating philosophy that what the Bills really need to do is biuld up the team first and then add the QB as the last piece so he wont get killed.

- If people believe Fitz is a caretaker QB..then he is a VERY GOOD caretaker QB. This team has SO MANY OTHER NEEDS that to me it only makes sense to draft DL/OL/LB's

We need:

- A TE good enough that Chan will actually trust him to stay on the field and contribute....Martin is NOT the answer.....

- Pass Rush from the DE spot

- A RT...Wrotto might make a pretty good backup

- Linebackers that can actually cover Tight Ends AND control the edge of the defense

We could get healthy quick in a lot of areas on this team with this draft

because his coach said he is ready for the NFL. because there is a better than average chance that harbaugh will not be coaching @ stanford next year and most importently this is most likely his last chance to guarantee himself over 55 million dollars guaranteed.

The chances of us getting a shot at a QB like this is extremely rare. Defensive players like Clayborn will be there EVERY year in the early, mid, and late first round. 2nd round and 3rd round. Sure you have your Ryan Leafs and your Akili Smith, but when I see the last couple lottery QB's i think that QB is the way to go. If you guys want to settle for an average QB having a good year, then good for you. But i want to go for the ultimate QB that will lead this team for the next 10-15 years. And next year is the year to do it.

Edited by DreReed83