I am going to say it....Bills don't need a QB

Big Turk

We drafted 9 of 17 to the defense the past 2 years--none is a starter other than Byrd.

Sooooo, this is a valid reason NOT to draft defense? :unsure:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look i like fitz and he is the best we have by a mile however in the NFL like polian and brandt and all the GM's who know their sh-t all say the most important thing on a football team is QB then LT.

want a perfect example. look at what SD did they had brees yet they still went ahead and drafted rivers and instantly started him.want to know why it was because they knew he was a rare talent,or as Nix said a no brain er.

first of all, how do you know that Fitz isn't/couldn't be that QB that GMs die for. He is putting up SICK numbers and is playing well with what everyone thought was a horrible bunch of recievers. He IS the leader in the field on offense and it's clear by how the offense plays around him.

Second, SD drafted Manning actually, not Rivers and only traded for him because Manning whinned like a little baby and said he would not sign or play for them. I'd also like to point out that Brees was not good at all when they made that trade. He was very quickly being considered a bust and only got his chance to become good when Rivers did t sign and showed up to camp too late.

And I'd also like to point out that SD lost out on that deal since Brees is a better, more accurate QB than Rivers will ever be. Don't get me wrong, I love Rivers and his attitude, but the fact is that he might NEVER win a big game and Brees has a SB with NO and could do it again the way they have been playing.

Your points are so far off I want to puke, especially after you just told someone else that they don't know football.

first of all, how do you know that Fitz isn't/couldn't be that QB that GMs die for. He is putting up SICK numbers and is playing well with what everyone thought was a horrible bunch of recievers. He IS the leader in the field on offense and it's clear by how the offense plays around him.

Second, SD drafted Manning actually, not Rivers and only traded for him because Manning whinned like a little baby and said he would not sign or play for them. I'd also like to point out that Brees was not good at all when they made that trade. He was very quickly being considered a bust and only got his chance to become good when Rivers did t sign and showed up to camp too late.

And I'd also like to point out that SD lost out on that deal since Brees is a better, more accurate QB than Rivers will ever be. Don't get me wrong, I love Rivers and his attitude, but the fact is that he might NEVER win a big game and Brees has a SB with NO and could do it again the way they have been playing.

Your points are so far off I want to puke, especially after you just told someone else that they don't know football.

You on crack? Almost 6,800 51 TDs and 22 INTs the last 2 years before they traded him? Those are SOLID numbers. Similar numbers to that when he started in New Orleans the first 2 years. He's been a solid QB for awhile now. It's just NOW Sean Peyton's created a monster.

Rivers is JUST as good as Brees. Both are franchise QB's and BOTH franchises made out well in that trade. The difference is that Drew Brees has a better coaching staff around him. Thats it. Sean Peyton is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better coach than Norv. That's it. Philip Rivers is completing 9 yds per throw. That's gotta be tops in the league right now. Last year 8.8. To be completing passes for THAT long with a 65% completion percentage is unbelievable. So I dont actually know what your point is that you're trying to make. But whatever it is. You're WRONG.

One thing about Fitz to at least put the optimism in perspective 1- he has a completion percentage just a touch under 60 which if I am going to 100% say that Fitz is the answer he needs to get that completion percentage above 60 by the end of the season. 2- He needs to show up and play well against good defenses (Has done that but he needs another good couple of performances against teams like the Steelers and the Jets) he needs to not just feed off of bad teams.

All in all these next 6 games are very telling there needs to be a limiting of INT's, an increase in completion percentage, keeping the Bills competitive in each game (As long as the D doesn't give up a fat number), and good/solid performances against the better defenses we have left to play.

You on crack? Almost 6,800 51 TDs and 22 INTs the last 2 years before they traded him? Those are SOLID numbers. Similar numbers to that when he started in New Orleans the first 2 years. He's been a solid QB for awhile now. It's just NOW Sean Peyton's created a monster.

Rivers is JUST as good as Brees. Both are franchise QB's and BOTH franchises made out well in that trade. The difference is that Drew Brees has a better coaching staff around him. Thats it. Sean Peyton is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better coach than Norv. That's it. Philip Rivers is completing 9 yds per throw. That's gotta be tops in the league right now. Last year 8.8. To be completing passes for THAT long with a 65% completion percentage is unbelievable. So I dont actually know what your point is that you're trying to make. But whatever it is. You're WRONG.

Truthfully, i agree we should take a 1st round QB either way. I like Fitz alot, and think he will/should be starting for this team for the foreseeable future. He likely will only get better with experience, and is still pretty young at 27. But, the best way to find a QB in the NFL, in general, is to let them develop. Even if we get Mallett or Locker in rd 1 and not Luck, giving a good QB time to develop is a good thing. What if Fitz plays great for the rest of this year and next, then pulls a Derek Anderson on us? I dont think he will, but if he does, then were set back another 3 years, again. This is the PERFECT time for us to grab a high round QB. We wont have to throw him to the wolves, let him get up to speed with the pro game. Let him learn to read defenses. Learn behind Fitz. Worst that happens is we have a good insurance policy, and best case scenario is we get a franchise QB. Wouldnt everyone here like that peace of mind? I certainly would. Lets shore up the QB position for years to come. Now is the time to do that. Dont forget too, that competition will help breed success. Having two GOOD Qbs is never going be a bad thing, or hinder your football team, will only help to keep the fire going for both guys. Its been so long since we had good QB play in Buffalo, lets make sure it stays that way for at least as long as its been missing.

One thing about Fitz to at least put the optimism in perspective 1- he has a completion percentage just a touch under 60 which if I am going to 100% say that Fitz is the answer he needs to get that completion percentage above 60 by the end of the season.

Fitz' completion percentage for the season is 59.3 %. The difference between that and 60 % is 7 more completions per 1000 passes thrown. He's thrown 285 passes, so we're talking what, 2 or 3 more completions? How can this possibly make any real difference?

The answer to your question has to be an unqualified yes - I'm becoming a Fitzbeard fan but at the end of the day he is kind of like Joe Ferguson as compared to Jim Kelly to me. Fergy was a good but not great QB who could win with the right cast around him. Jim Kelly was a player that had the talent to lift a team (at least an offense)on his back and carry it. I am in no way saying Kelly was not surrounded by talent - there was plenty - he simply made the talent there even better. There are very few players who can carry a team - if one is available the Bills must take him.

Gotta disagree with you on this BB, for reasons other than other posters have mentioned. Fitz has clearly shown that he's making the talent around him better. Before his season-ending injury, Roscoe Parrish was having the season of his life. Anybody missing him? We're 2-0 without him. SJ 13? No speed burner there, just being made to look like a superstar because of Fitz. Our 'terrible, pathetic, -add remark' offensive line? The one with 2 FA's starting at T. Not only have we heard nothing bad about them since Edwards was kicked to the curb, most Bills fans think we're set for a few years there. FA WR's making drive sustaining catches all over the field?

One Reason: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Fitz is playing great and making tons of great plays. However it would be a huge gamble not to secure the future. Fitz has been around for a while and its unlikely he will continue on this elevated level.

This thread is an overreaction to two wins over bad teams by a desperate team and fan base.

I have been really behind drafting Luck for most of the season, but Fitz has completely changed me the past few games...

We can win with Fitz. With a better defense, we can make the playoffs. We certainly score enough points to win. I say we go heavy on defense in this draft...

They Beat Detroit and Cincinnati. That is all. When they beat a Playoff contending team wake me up. Let me know how much faith you have in Fitz after Pittsburgh. This one's gonna be ugly...

Fitz is playing great and making tons of great plays. However it would be a huge gamble not to secure the future. Fitz has been around for a while and its unlikely he will continue on this elevated level.

This thread is an overreaction to two wins over bad teams by a desperate team and fan base.

Exactly. If they win out or win against Playoff contending teams the remainder of this year, then we may have something. Our team is piss poor. Make no bones about it. They need alot of churn in the offseason and bring in some bigtime playmakers via draft and Free Agency. Buddy will draft the best available player on the board and get us some good talent.

I am going to say it....You're nuts! So you missed the first half sunday, or the end of the Ravens and Chiefs games? The end of the Bears game? Fitz is playing with alot of heart and making the most of his abilities, but the problem is, is that is the most of his abilities, beating the 2-8 Bengals and the 2-8 Lions. I really like him, and he is fun as well as frustrating to watch, but Fitz is not the guy if we are ever going to compete in the division with New England.

I am going to say it....You're nuts! So you missed the first half sunday, or the end of the Ravens and Chiefs games? The end of the Bears game? Fitz is playing with alot of heart and making the most of his abilities, but the problem is, is that is the most of his abilities, beating the 2-8 Bengals and the 2-8 Lions. I really like him, and he is fun as well as frustrating to watch, but Fitz is not the guy if we are ever going to compete in the division with New England.

Fitz's stats 60%completion, 18Td's 9Int's, and 24.5 points a game speak for themselves. The problem is the defense gives up more.If you can't see that you never will.

How do you know if "he's" available? Will that first round QB be a Kelly or a Manning, or a Joey Harrington, David Carr, Heath Shuler, JeMarcus Russell, JP Losman, Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, etc., etc. If what you have is good at QB, do you build a supporting cast on defense etc, or gamble on that elusive "franchise QB." If you are absolutely sure, for example, that Luck will be another Manning(Peyton, not Eli)or Brady(a 6th round pick of course)and not a backup like his Dad, then go for it. But you'd better be right, when there are so many areas of need, and you seem to have a capable QB who is just turning 28, and might continue to improve, as many QBs do, with time. At bottom, it's a crapshoot either way.

You didn't want to say it in the 4 or 5 other such threads?

Anyway---you would pass on Luck if he was there for us to take? To "go heavy on defense"? We drafted 9 of 17 to the defense the past 2 years--none is a starter other than Byrd.

I would much rather miss on a guy like Luck than missing on guys like Whitner and Maybin. I mean, why would you even think twice about this?

But, it's way too early to claim who our QB for next year is. There are 6 more games to play.

Calm down.

This. For whatever reason the Caseys of the world seem to think busts only exist at QB. As Kiper documented a couple years ago, Dlinemen are as risky as anyone in the early 1st round.

They were 9 points away from defeating teams with a combined 20-10 record.

That is spin if I have ever seen spin. He played very well in Baltimore. Good for him. KC was a game where the offense scored 10 points, with numerous blown chances to pick up 10 yards for a game winning FG. I don't know anyone outside of Illinois who doesn't think the Bears are a complete fraud - there was a reason that was a pick 'em in Vegas - they have one and done written all over them unless they play an NFC West team.

Plus if God forbid we win those games those teams are a combined 17-13 instead of 20-10 which doesn't look quite as sparkling - the Bills have had a way of inflating their opponents record for a while now.

Sooooo, this is a valid reason NOT to draft defense? :unsure:

No, it is statement pointing out that this team has drafted defensive players in the past two years and they can't seem to get on the field and have much of an impact on a bad defense.

Sooooo, the point was if you are staring at Luck and it's your turn to pick, you take him. You can use all your other picks to go "heavy on D" if you like. Using a first round pick on a QB like Luck has a much higher potential payoff than almost any defensive first round pick you can currently imagine is out there.

Did/do you think we needed a running back with the #9 selection in the 2010 draft? I am NOT calling you out on this!!! What I'm driving at is do you want a qb if he is the BPA?

http://www.wgr550.com/BUSCAGLIA--No-Luck--Cam-s-Your-Man/8629124

The writer of the link and I are in accord on the need to get a long term franchise qb in place. If we can get Newton with a possible trade down (assuming we can't get Luck) then we should make the deal. Who will be the starting qb next year? Of course it will be Fitz. He could be the starting qb for the next few years.

The reflexive response of the naysayers is going to be that the Bills most pressing need relates to the defense. I agree with that assessment. The majority of the rest of the draft and posssible free agent additions can be dedicated to the defense.

Anyone who is fair-minded realizes that the Bills are years away from being a serious team i.e. able to contend with the Pats and Jets. The sooner the Bills get an upper tier franchise qb in place the better positioned the team will be to compete with those more talented teams.

In my view Luck is the best qb prospect and possibly the best player in this draft. If we are not in position to draft him, then so be it. Cam Newton would be a terrific fallback position for us. In all the games I have seen him this year (4 games) he was the best player on the field by far. Although his running is highlighted he has a very strong arm. He is an accurate passer and he knows where to go with the ball.

Let's stop thinking small and be willing to accept long-term mediocrity. Because the Bills have been bad for a long time doesn't mean that we can't have higher expectations. Getting a player such as Cam Newton would be a powerful statement that the Bills have high aspirations and are actively pursuing to fulfill them.

Edited by JohnC

The arguments are all valid and everybody can have an opinion on whether we should draft a QB or not, but I think the point that's missed is that we've got the luxury of drafting the BPA this April and we don't have to reach on a QB or any other position.

This team is still a few playmakers away from competing in the playoffs (pending the outcomes of the NE and NYJ games this December I think this team can compete within the division next year) but at least it looks like we've got NFL football players at each position.

We'll have a top 6 pick and that's a position to get a playmaker everytime.

Did/do you think we needed a running back with the #9 selection in the 2010 draft? I am NOT calling you out on this!!! What I'm driving at is do you want a qb if he is the BPA?

#1 Spiller? Terrible pick. I hope the kid becomes good, but RB's are the easiest position to fill. Another typical bad pick on a team that needs a cast of players, not a RB. But oh well I guess.

#2 If that QB is Andrew Luck, I absolutely take him. I think he's that good. He's smart. Has the size. Has the pedigree. Has great coaching, and good bloodlines. He sure looks like a can't miss player and a franchise type QB. Those are hard to find. If anyone else but Luck is there, I pass, and build the lines and move on with Fitz and don't think twice.

Edited by Lv-Bills