This Stevie Johnson is one smart dude...

zow2

Take a similar player like Austin Collie...who may have gotten concussed again over the weekend. I mean his career is at stake now b/c he takes some big hits after receptions. Our man Stevie, catches the ball in traffic and kinda' goes in slide mode when he's about to get drilled. I personally think its brilliant. What a brutal position it is to play and Stevie knows when to get the 1st down and get out of harms way.

Edited by zow2

Take a similar player like Austin Collie...who may have gotten concussed again over the weekend. I mean his career is at stake now b/c he takes some big hits after receptions. Our man Stevie, catches the ball in traffic and kinda' goes in slide mode when he's about to get drilled. I personally think its brilliant. What a brutal position it is to play and Stevie knows when to get the 1st down and get out of harms way.

great observation. He does seem to avoid big hits.

I wouldn't exactly call him smart he just does not like getting hit. When our games mean something and we need that extra yard to win a game everyone will be up in arms. To me thats his only flaw but it can and probably will come back to hurt us if or when a game actually counts.

Time to get out the extension paperwork and sign him to a big bucks contract that keeps him here!

Not until we have to, I don't want him to get too fat and happy. I think Johnson and Fitz are a package deal though. They even said the chemistry they developed on the second team reps have a lot to do with the success we are having now. I also noticed he is smart about going down when he knows he is caught. Working out of the slot taught him about that one I bet lol.

I wouldn't exactly call him smart he just does not like getting hit. When our games mean something and we need that extra yard to win a game everyone will be up in arms. To me thats his only flaw but it can and probably will come back to hurt us if or when a game actually counts.

Not wanting to get hit by several fast running Cadillacs sized men? Sounds like a smart idea to me :nana:

Let's not confuse being soft with being smart. Steve Johnson plays smart because he avoids unnecessary contact. And there is no indication that he's soft; i.e., I haven't seen him pull up or give up on a play because he was scared of contact. He just avoids contact when he can, which I think is the recipe to a long career.

Let's not confuse being soft with being smart. Steve Johnson plays smart because he avoids unnecessary contact. And there is no indication that he's soft; i.e., I haven't seen him pull up or give up on a play because he was scared of contact. He just avoids contact when he can, which I think is the recipe to a long career.

That's what Emmitt Smith would do with the Cowboys. I notice he ran out of bounds a lot after getting the first down instead of getting hit.

Isaac bruce and tory holt were the kings at going down instead of fighting for a yard or two, both had great, long careers. You can't keep making plays if you can't stay on the field

Exactly.

Sometimes, it's absolutely necessary to fight. Fight to get the extra yard on a crucial 3rd down. Fight to get out of bounds in the waning moments of the game.

Most of the time, however, it's more prudent to avoid the big hit and sacrifice a yard. Besides, Stevie has proven himself to be a YAC monster this season. Not by running over defensive backs...but by running PAST them. Dude is great at juking and cutting.

I think it's interesting that as a WR, you don't want them taking big hits...there's nothing to gain by grinding for an extra yard in most cases. I think self-preservation is a good thing and Stevie knows that. As a RB, they are considered tough if they smash heads. Totally different positions. Even with RB's, it's ok if a guy like Lynch or Marion Barber wants to create havoc but you don't want CJ Spiller or guys like that trying to take guys on too much. It's just a recipe for injury.

Exactly.

Sometimes, it's absolutely necessary to fight. Fight to get the extra yard on a crucial 3rd down. Fight to get out of bounds in the waning moments of the game.

Most of the time, however, it's more prudent to avoid the big hit and sacrifice a yard. Besides, Stevie has proven himself to be a YAC monster this season. Not by running over defensive backs...but by running PAST them. Dude is great at juking and cutting.

It's such an uncanny ability he has to be able to do that. When you see him in the open field with the ball in his hands, he doesn't look like the most shifty and quick guy, but man this guy can run around defenders and make people miss with the best of them. That's unteachable.

Wide outs in the NFL are coached that when you run a slant or a dig route against a zone defense you catch the ball and get down. Of coarse this isnt always the case high passes and yardage situations you either have to take the big hit or gamble on being able to dodge it. the size and speed of these players the hit is coming so prepare yourself. This was a statement made by Micheal Irvin the week all those fine where given out, saying some of these hits are the recievers fault for not doing what there coached.

Isaac bruce and tory holt were the kings at going down instead of fighting for a yard or two, both had great, long careers. You can't keep making plays if you can't stay on the field

Someone needs to tell that to Roscoe. I love the fact that the guy fights for every inch out there but he is constantly getting hurt. Maybe it's time for him to realize that he weighs about half of everyone else out there and he should be avoiding some of those hits.

I know the broken wrist was kind of a fluke but the fact is, he is worth more to this team playing every week as opposed to getting a handful of weeks a season out of him.

If you do not have a first down then you take a hit. If you have a first down you avoid the hit.

That is how you protect yourself in the long run.

Correct. Avoiding big hits is smart. But there is no getting away from the fact that football is the premier contact sport and sometimes you have to sacrifice the body to get things done, otherwise you are underperforming. Just another reason Andre Reed should be in the HOF.

Have you ever watched him play? He doesn't fight for an extra yard...really? Did you see his touchdown against KC that he wouldn't have made if he didn't fight for the extra yard? Have you ever noticed that most of the time he catches the ball in position to gain 5 or 10 yards without being touched? Sunday at 1...you should tune in.

One of the greatest players ever was Jim Brown. If he absolutely had to, he'd run into the defenders (or, really, run OVER them). And sometimes he'd do it to punish someone. But what he was famous for, and often criticized for, was running out of bounds when he determined it was foolish to go any further.

Jim Brown retired at 29, with relatively excellent health. He also held most of the rushing records for years and years. And he did it in mostly 12 game seasons, with the only post season game being the championship. And the Browns were one of the best teams ever.

That was one of the keys to the "Greatest Show on Turf" '99-'01 Rams. Bruce, Holt, Hakim, Proehl, et al. would usually go down in a slide instead of taking a big hit over the middle. As long as the WR isn't giving up any potentially big RAC, I'm all for it. You can't help the team from the trainer's table.

Sometimes it seems a little wimpy but like one poster said, if he already has the first down and he's being angled out of bounds I suppose its ok. The other thing not mentioned is that sometimes fighting for the extra yard causes turnovers, especially with the WR arms holding the ball instead of the usually stronger RB's who have way more experience with ball protection.

Watch for Lee's production accelerating now that the coverage will lean toward Stevie. The other cool thing about this dude is that he is VERY gracious to the rest of the team in his interviews. He plays like he has something to prove as a 7th rounder but he doesn't have that annoying "im a black man nobody believed in" victim type approach like T.O. or some of these other guys that become vindictive in their interviews and only talk about themselves and their skills and how great they are. Bruce used to make me cringe with that stuff.

I love humble, great athletes that are team players and Stevie is one of 'em.

You want to talk about a smart dude? How about Lee Evans. He has been in the league for about 6 years now, he gets paid over $9 million dollars a year and he has never been seen between the hash marks!

Apparently he must have a clause in his contract that requires all of his pass routes to be within 5 yards of the sideline. I have never seen him catch a pass on a crossing route. Talk about smart!!!

You want to talk about a smart dude? How about Lee Evans. He has been in the league for about 6 years now, he gets paid over $9 million dollars a year and he has never been seen between the hash marks!

Apparently he must have a clause in his contract that requires all of his pass routes to be within 5 yards of the sideline. I have never seen him catch a pass on a crossing route. Talk about smart!!!

Don't drink so much during the games, you might actually notice something other than a misconception.