When you listen to Chan talk about Fitz....

zow2

you realize just how much Chan loves this guy and his ability to direct the offense on the field. I don't think we (fans) have any appreciation for the intricacies involved in being a successful QB and identifying coverages, calling out protection schemes, finding the "hot" receiver, etc..., let alone putting the ball in there. I think whatever rookie QB gets drafted by the Bills, he is gonna have an awful tough time earning the trust and faith of Gailey like Fitz has. I see Fitz being the starter here next season and probably longer (assuming Gailey is here).

you realize just how much Chan loves this guy and his ability to direct the offense on the field. I don't think we (fans) have any appreciation for the intricacies involved in being a successful QB and identifying coverages, calling out protection schemes, finding the "hot" receiver, etc..., let alone putting the ball in there. I think whatever rookie QB gets drafted by the Bills, he is gonna have an awful tough time earning the trust and faith of Gailey like Fitz has. I see Fitz being the starter here next season and probably longer (assuming Gailey is here).

While I understand Gailey's love for Fitz now, it was the same coaching staff that made Edwards the starter during training camp and into the regular season, before pulling the plug. Fitz has played very well, made some blunders that cost us games in the 4th quarter, but glad that he is directing this offense that is fun to watch. If only the defense can stiffen even a little bit, we could have probably come out with wins over Patriots, Baltimore, Kansas City and the Jaguars. The defense really lacks play makers and unless we can build around Poz and Williams soon, we will not be able to win these shoot outs often.

This is actually a really good topic, because with regard to all those folks who want Luck or Mallett in the next draft, you can bet ur ass that Chan WILL have SOME say in the process, and if you think he's gonna want to break up a partnership that's working then ur nuts. If Fitzy keeps improving and can show consistency, and we start stringing together some solid performances, Chan will probably try and block any move toward drafting a rookie QB.

Just my opinion.

SJ has emerged because of Fitz

roscoe re-emerged before being injured b/c of fitz

Our o-line has played insanely better b/c of Fitz

what has Fitz done to our 3rd down conversion %? converting 3rd downs with this offense is almost becoming a sure thing now...b/c of fitz.

you can bet your ars chan appreciates that.

Gailey said great things about Levi Brown before cutting him.

And he obviously meant them, which is why we re-signed him the minute Trent's ass was sent packing.

While I understand Gailey's love for Fitz now, it was the same coaching staff that made Edwards the starter during training camp and into the regular season, before pulling the plug. Fitz has played very well, made some blunders that cost us games in the 4th quarter, but glad that he is directing this offense that is fun to watch. If only the defense can stiffen even a little bit, we could have probably come out with wins over Patriots, Baltimore, Kansas City and the Jaguars. The defense really lacks play makers and unless we can build around Poz and Williams soon, we will not be able to win these shoot outs often.

Great point. Clean house now. Don't wait. This is unacceptable.

PTR

Great point. Clean house now. Don't wait. This is unacceptable.

PTR

That's right! If this coaching staff refuses to stand by their mistakes, I say we get rid of them!

I am not doubting his sincerity. It just is hard to predict what he will do based on his praise.

I see. The difference is that with Levi, all you have is praise. With Fitzy, you have praise AND you have evidence. The guy can play. He's still too mistake-prone, yes. But he's also still in his 20s and he's been a back-up most of his career. This guy still has a chance to evolve into a legit starter, IMO, and I'd LOVE to see that. He's like a poor man's Brett Favre without the penis pics. How many QBs have we had where we just KNEW there was no way we were going to make a comeback once we got down by 10, 14+ points? With a guy like Fitzy, you're NEVER out of the game. As long as their is time on the clock, this guy can make things happen when he's behind center. I love that about the guy.

Ive noticed a little man crush Gailey is developing for Fitz. I think he has impressed us all. Lets face it these not alot of 1st round talent at QB or tackle either for that matter. IMO we will be picking #3-6, Luck will be gone but we should be in great shape to grab the #1 DE or LB that comes off the board. Most all the top OT's in this years draft are being labled RT's in the NFL, there should be a good chance one might fall to us in the 2nd. IMO you may be looking at the same offense this year (with the exception of a free agent TE and Easley returning), that your looking at right now.

I think its all moot. Luck is either getting drafted #1 overall or staying in college, Mallet isnt worth our pick, and unless Vick is a FA fitz is the best option.

This follows one of my life philosophies: "Keep it Simple"

As much as I was disgusted by what Vick did, I do believe in 2nd chances. I think he'll be a pretty hot commodity if he takes this Iggles team into the playoffs and makes some noise. He'll deserve the attention and the money he gets, cause he seems to have done a sincere job of getting his **** together. That being said, one thing I learned when I was studying psychology back at the Temple U (OWLS, BABY!!!!) was that while people can often change their behavior, it's not really possible to change who they are in terms of their personality. I like to give others the benefit of the doubt, though :)

Edited by ajzepp

This is why I say draft Kellen Moore and give him a year or two to put some weight on and learn. Same kind of toughness, and can make all the throws. If he comes out, he goes in the 4th ish. We can still get a defensive monster to play alongside Poz.

This is why I say draft Kellen Moore and give him a year or two to put some weight on and learn. Same kind of toughness, and can make all the throws. If he comes out, he goes in the 4th ish. We can still get a defensive monster to play alongside Poz.

Yep, I would MUCH rather pick up a QB in the later rounds and let him learn on the bench a while. Use our first few picks on difference makers in the trenches.

Gailey said great things about Levi Brown before cutting him.

You have a good point and a missing point.

The good point is, I think Chan is all about performance.

Fitzy stops performing, or they bring someone in who Chan sees reason to believe would be better, he's sitting no matter how much Chan likes him.

The missing point is you need to listen very carefully to the exact words used by Chan.

He has never said the sort of concrete, positive things about Brown that he has recently said about Fitzy.

Things like "he has developed into a very good quarterback for us" "he knows I'm not going to lose confidence in him, that happens to everyone, it happens to the great ones".

Chanspeak was all vague, feel-good stuff about Levi "he understands the game" "you don't see any reason to believe he couldn't play at this level" yadda ya

Stuff where you stop and think about it, "what did he say, really? He never said he thought he'd be a very good quarterback for us and he CAN play at pro level"

Chan seemed to have a football coach man-crush on Chad Jackson during pre-season...he got cut!

I may get bashed for saying this, but I think the success of Fitz has more to do with Gailey than it does Fitz himself. I am seeing some incredible play calling from a coach that knows what he is doing offensively. Not that I don't appreciate what Fitz is doing, but I think he is what he is because of Gailey.

I partly agree. I don't think people are giving Gailey enough credit...but I also think Fitzpatrick has done a hell of a job...with, essentially, the same roster the Bills had the last 3 or 4 years...Fitz has balls, something we haven't seen in some time, behind center. So, I give him credit there...Chan could call the same game with Trent Edwards, and we would be 0-10, and getting blown out every week.

NO. he can put all the weight on he wants, but he can't grow another 4 inches. Kellen Moore cannot "make all the throws" - not even close. Lets not get all enamoured with 5'10" quarterbacks just because they're lily white and play for the lovable small school.

While I understand Gailey's love for Fitz now, it was the same coaching staff that made Edwards the starter during training camp and into the regular season, before pulling the plug.

I choose to beleive that that was to shut Wilson up. There was no real competition in pre-season. TE got the lion's share of the PT with the starters and was basically handed the job. To me that makes no sense if you're anew coach coming in with a clean slate. Therefore, RW threw his weight behind Edwards as he has done forever. When Edwards was so colossally bad it made the move obvious. You couldn't keep running Edwards out there at that point. RW's a meddling idiot but he knows how to make money and TE wasn't going to make him any money.

It's the only scenario that makes sense for TE to go from starter to off the roster that fast. Ditto Lynch. That was R-Dubs boy and Gailey let him play himself out of town. Kudos to Gailey and Nix for figuring out how to beat the old fart. Let him have his way and don't be afraid to lose when you're at the BEGINNING of your contract since you know he will die before he pays 3 coaches at one time. Let the choices become self-evident and get your way in the end. If he's really smart he even found a way to let RW think it was his idea to make the moves.

Gailey dealt with Jerry Jones, you think he's gonna get outmanuevered by an owner again?

This season is a rebuilding year. Why can't you be happy that they seem to have solved a huge problem with the offense, an offense that has sucked for 10 years? You think Gailey doesn't know that the defense sucks? If the defense is improved next season even HALF as much as the offense has improved , the Bills will win the Super Bowl.

Give the new staff more than half an effin' season to change the fortunes of a team that has been NOWHERE for a decade.

Gailey wants to win. If he did his due diligence on the Bills' gig, he knows he's got 3 years max to turn this thing around. Year 1 wasn't going to happen. Now he's got a guy he can win with. Sure we started 0-8, but we could now perhaps go 4-4 or 5-3 in the last 8. If he goes and gets a hot shot rookie and throws him in, then chances are we suck again next year while this green kid "delvelops". Now he's almost out of year.

With Fitz we finally have what we've been trying to get for the last 6 years. A young guy to develop that will develop. Fitz is almost there. He understand the pro game. He can read defenses. He's adjusted to the speed of the game. All he needs now is a decent defense and better protection from the OLine. When he has time to throw, he's very good. Most often he doesn't have that much time.

Today he showed another attribute of a good pro QB. A short memory. After those first 2 picks, many QBs would have never recovered.

Our next draft should get players who can come and contribute...This team is really bleeding due to lack of talent and play makers from the last 10 drafts....

SJ has emerged because of Fitz

roscoe re-emerged before being injured b/c of fitz

Our o-line has played insanely better b/c of Fitz

what has Fitz done to our 3rd down conversion %? converting 3rd downs with this offense is almost becoming a sure thing now...b/c of fitz.

you can bet your ars chan appreciates that.

Agreed. He's making everyone around him better, the sign of a true leader. Similar to great point guards in basketball. What amazed me yesterday is when they flashed the stat that we have the #1 ranked red zone TD conversion percentage in the NFL...stunning statistic IMO. Go BILLS!

NO. he can put all the weight on he wants, but he can't grow another 4 inches. Kellen Moore cannot "make all the throws" - not even close. Lets not get all enamoured with 5'10" quarterbacks just because they're lily white and play for the lovable small school.

We can argue about whether he can make the throws all day, but hasn't our defending SB Champion's QB put this whole short QB's suck discussion to rest? And I've met him, Moore is 6'. No more, but he's 6'.

Gailey wants to win. If he did his due diligence on the Bills' gig, he knows he's got 3 years max to turn this thing around. Year 1 wasn't going to happen. Now he's got a guy he can win with. Sure we started 0-8, but we could now perhaps go 4-4 or 5-3 in the last 8. If he goes and gets a hot shot rookie and throws him in, then chances are we suck again next year while this green kid "delvelops". Now he's almost out of year.

With Fitz we finally have what we've been trying to get for the last 6 years. A young guy to develop that will develop. Fitz is almost there. He understand the pro game. He can read defenses. He's adjusted to the speed of the game. All he needs now is a decent defense and better protection from the OLine. When he has time to throw, he's very good. Most often he doesn't have that much time.

Today he showed another attribute of a good pro QB. A short memory. After those first 2 picks, many QBs would have never recovered.

When I'm defending Fitz (because I am a Fitz Billiever) I also like to bring up the performance he had in the snowstorm vs Indy's back-ups last year's last game. I know it was a useless game, but I was impressed by his ability to handle the elements. If we have aspirations of making a run to the playoffs 2 or 3 years from now, hopefully cold weather, snow, ice rain, and wind will be factors; we'll need a QB who can handle that stuff...I think he can....justv wishful daydreaming....

You have to realize that players can only be really evaluated during actual games. I think that is why Lynch and Edwards were starting at the beginning of the season. Gailey and Nix were probably thinking both were not good enough but wanted to see them in games. I know there is film but sure they wanted to see them play live. They are evaluating players every week to see what we need for next year.

I agree about the short memory. That is something that should not be taken for granted. This is the exact mentality that Kelly had and Favre for that matter. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it will kill you. You just hope in the end that the positive plays (3rd down conversions, TD's, etc,)..outweigh the negative plays. It's a whole lot better than other QB's we've seen who go into a conservative shell with each INT. Also, Gailey seems to be a gunslinger as well. Against the Chiefs and Bears he was not conservative at all late in the games while going for the win.

I choose to beleive that that was to shut Wilson up. There was no real competition in pre-season. TE got the lion's share of the PT with the starters and was basically handed the job. To me that makes no sense if you're anew coach coming in with a clean slate. Therefore, RW threw his weight behind Edwards as he has done forever. When Edwards was so colossally bad it made the move obvious. You couldn't keep running Edwards out there at that point. RW's a meddling idiot but he knows how to make money and TE wasn't going to make him any money.

It's the only scenario that makes sense for TE to go from starter to off the roster that fast. Ditto Lynch. That was R-Dubs boy and Gailey let him play himself out of town. Kudos to Gailey and Nix for figuring out how to beat the old fart. Let him have his way and don't be afraid to lose when you're at the BEGINNING of your contract since you know he will die before he pays 3 coaches at one time. Let the choices become self-evident and get your way in the end. If he's really smart he even found a way to let RW think it was his idea to make the moves.

Gailey dealt with Jerry Jones, you think he's gonna get outmanuevered by an owner again?

i find this somewhat plausible but wilson publicly stated his desire to get a top rookie qb and tasked nix with it. it's gonna happen. you can't teach an old, stubborn dog new tricks.

Yeah, I got news for all the naysayers, Fitz isn't going anywhere at this point. The combination of his play with the fact that the Bills are going to be pushed out of the top three (maybe top 5) draft picks thus removing the temptation Nix might have to pull the trigger on Luck or Mallet (who, if they are in the draft will probably both be gone by the time the Bills pick).

On top of this I agree with the assessment of Gailey / Fitz combo. NO WAY does Gailey let Nix mess this up by playing some drafted rookie just because he was drafted when he's got a young QB (Fitz is only 27) who already understands the offense, gets it in the right spots and is making plays. Even if we had the first pick and Luck was sitting there and Nix took him, I doubt Gailey would play him until he outright earned the job over Fitz, and you simply cannot beat out an entrenched starter who is throwing 2 - 4 TDs a game behind a still somewhat suspect OL, no matter how well you practice. In other words, only an injury would get the kid on the field anyway.

You might see the Bills take a mid-round flyer on an athletic QB, but to me that would be more of an indictment of Brohm as the backup than any threat to Fitz as starter.

Agreed. He's making everyone around him better, the sign of a true leader. Similar to great point guards in basketball. What amazed me yesterday is when they flashed the stat that we have the #1 ranked red zone TD conversion percentage in the NFL...stunning statistic IMO. Go BILLS!

That is a function of actual coaching and scheme. Something we haven't had for 10 years here. Remember last year when teams were telling us they new what we were going to run before the ball was snapped? Haven't heard anyone say that lately have you. I realize Cincy had a couple of rookie safties on the field yesterday but we absolutely picked them apart running and passing. They had no idea what was coming!

You'd have to be delusional to think that the Bills would even consider making a QB change. Not only do we have the #1 ranked red zone percentage, we also lead the league in 3rd down conversions. That's not an accident.

Fitz is going nowhere and all you Luck & Mallett screamers might as well get used to it.