22 years ago today

bills44

the Bills clinched the AFC East Championship against the Jets, 9-6.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198811200buf.htm

youtube.com/watch?v=tX8DTfuCxKs

Ahhh... the good old days before all the graphics on the screen telling you scores, time outs left, time left in the game, fantasy football updates, how many cups of gatorade have been drank, etc....

Wow. They pulled the goal posts down after winning the division? Can't imagine what would have happened had they won it all. And, was Daniel Boone still on TV just 22 years ago? TV has changed.

My memory may be off but a few games later they tore down the posts and carried them up to Ralph Wilson's box!

does anyone here know the guy in the yellow rain-suit (sitting atop the goalpost crossbar)?

everytime i watch a youtube clip of bflo fans ripping down the posts -- i swear i see the same guy (in the yellow rain suit) leading the way. what a fan!

Too bad they didn't include the regulation series where Freddie Smerlas blocked the kick. I jumped out of my seat for that, even though Smerlas hasn't been too kind to the team in recent years, I always felt that play gave him some vindication for being a poster child for the 2-14 years. It's also strange seeing Bennett wearing 55, got so used to him in 97 during the Superbowl years and after. Glad also the Don Criqui was doing the game, who better to have than a WNY guy in the booth. Thanks for posting!

The first thing I notice with that clip is how loud the stadium is and how they respond to the bills' offense asking for quiet. The younger Bills fans who don't recall the heyday for the late-80's/early 90's take note: This is how loud the stadium will be when the Bills start winning division titles again. Bring your voices (and your earplugs)!

I was there. running out onto the field was GREAT! being there when the first goalpost went down was the best! chanting HAAAAAASSSSTTYYYYY! ohhhh the bruce salutes... one day (hoprfully soon) the Rich (or Ralph) will be rocking on Sundays again.

GOOOOO BILLS!

Everyone talks about how deplorable the stadium behavior is these days, I would bet that if the team starts winning again, that might change. A frustrated fan base drinking just cuz that's the only thing worth while at the Stadium vs. an excited fan base drinking to celebrate the team...