What has shaped your political beliefs?

No

Go sip your Kool-Aid some more

It's not the conservative blue dog Reagan Democrat cling to religion and guns stereotype.

We live our lives the way we want to. We don't want your money or approval

We don't care how you live your lives. Just don't as our money or approval

Well that's your opinion, but i've had friends in the NY southern tier where i have had this conversation with them and that is how they felt. I'm not trying to speak for everyone or yourself, just some people that have that viewpoint.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you are drunk again?

I any case, ya I always felt if the GOP would just support gay marriage and clean environment legislation, they'd get a ton more votes.

:lol:

If it's Friday night I'm getting ready for later :beer:

If it's Saturday morning, I got me a headache :wallbash:

Living through the carter presidency as a kid and a nation sliding into gloomy hopelessness and weakness during that time. We were very excited about Jimmy Carter at first, he was from the people, A simple peanut farmer who was going to change Washington. It was like waking up from a nightmare when Reagan took office.

Living through the carter presidency as a kid and a nation sliding into gloomy hopelessness and weakness during that time. We were very excited about Jimmy Carter at first, he was from the people, A simple peanut farmer who was going to change Washington. It was like waking up from a nightmare when Reagan took office.

Yep, that, and: Walking around the parking lot at a Dead show and suddenly having an epiphany.

You will never find more free marketers, tax evaders, IP thieves, and profiteers than you will at a Dead show. You will never find more defective products, dangerous products, deregulation, and did I mention profiteering? than you will at any of these shows.

These are the people that claim superiority over "evil corporations", but in practice are just as bad if not worse.

These are the people that claim to represent what being a liberal is all about, but I can't tell the difference between them and the Wall Street people I worked with later on. Both are selfish, self-absorbed, and walking around with a faulty belief in their own superiority, while doing very little to prove it. Since then, I have worked with DC people, and found the same thing.

That was the day it hit me: nobody is truly "superior" to anybody else because of, their political beliefs, or, which group they choose to belong, and, everybody will try to make as much money as they can given the opportunity. Pretending as if there is some sort of exception, or that somehow liberals are better people than conservatives, is the height of buffoonery.

It mostly comes down to what your family does for a living, and for some people, how much they hate their parents. :D

Yep, that, and: Walking around the parking lot at a Dead show and suddenly having an epiphany.

You will never find more free marketers, tax evaders, IP thieves, and profiteers than you will at a Dead show. You will never find more defective products, dangerous products, deregulation, and did I mention profiteering? than you will at any of these shows.

These are the people that claim superiority over "evil corporations", but in practice are just as bad if not worse.

These are the people that claim to represent what being a liberal is all about, but I can't tell the difference between them and the Wall Street people I worked with later on. Both are selfish, self-absorbed, and walking around with a faulty belief in their own superiority, while doing very little to prove it. Since then, I have worked with DC people, and found the same thing.

That was the day it hit me: nobody is truly "superior" to anybody else because of, their political beliefs, or, which group they choose to belong, and, everybody will try to make as much money as they can given the opportunity. Pretending as if there is some sort of exception, or that somehow liberals are better people than conservatives, is the height of buffoonery.

It mostly comes down to what your family does for a living, and for some people, how much they hate their parents. :D

Oh! don't get me started, you hit the nail on the deadhead. I was shocked at the thousands of dollars these so called hippie deadheads had in recording equipment at the show. It was a real professional operation they had in bootlegging. Most of the equipment was recording studio quality!

Oh! don't get me started, you hit the nail on the deadhead. I was shocked at the thousands of dollars these so called hippie deadheads had in recording equipment at the show. It was a real professional operation they had in bootlegging. Most of the equipment was recording studio quality!

The Dead and a lot of other band allow and even encourage taping. I have downloaded recordings of many shows I've been to.

If my political beliefs are a stew, the broth is Ayn Rand. But being intractable as her is impractical so the rest are pieces of compromise learned over time. (And still learning.)

BTW, my political beliefs attributed to her is one thing. Her personal philosophy of selfishness is something I can't relate to in any way.

Ayn Rand , yes. Funny, but her philosophy of selfishness is something I COMPLETELY relate to. It's not the PC answer, but I believe it's the truth for most. We just don't think its very "nice" to admit it.We're a very narcissistic species. Politically it is very simple. Tax me very little. Let me keep my money, because I will spend it. It's good for the economy. Keep government small. Keep religion entirely out of government, period. That means the bedroom too. It means abortion and all contraception should be legal. Anyone should be able to marry anyone else. Unfortunately a Political party that backs these concepts does not exist. Too controversial, I guess. The right says keep taxes low-great. BUT you must be religious. EEERRRRTT. Next Political view please. The left says keep individual rights and freedoms-great, but why so much $$ for social programs. But I have to align with them because I don't like religious people, or religion period. The right uses an obvious lure for anyone (that greed thing ,remember) keeping more of their own $. To advance their real agenda- pushing a religious ideology. Scary. If only they could seperate politics from bible thumping. Billy Joel said it best " I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...". Ah well.

Ayn Rand , yes. Funny, but her philosophy of selfishness is something I COMPLETELY relate to. It's not the PC answer, but I believe it's the truth for most. We just don't think its very "nice" to admit it.We're a very narcissistic species. Politically it is very simple. Tax me very little. Let me keep my money, because I will spend it. It's good for the economy. Keep government small. Keep religion entirely out of government, period. That means the bedroom too. It means abortion and all contraception should be legal. Anyone should be able to marry anyone else. Unfortunately a Political party that backs these concepts does not exist. Too controversial, I guess. The right says keep taxes low-great. BUT you must be religious. EEERRRRTT. Next Political view please. The left says keep individual rights and freedoms-great, but why so much $$ for social programs. But I have to align with them because I don't like religious people, or religion period. The right uses an obvious lure for anyone (that greed thing ,remember) keeping more of their own $. To advance their real agenda- pushing a religious ideology. Scary. If only they could seperate politics from bible thumping. Billy Joel said it best " I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...". Ah well.

Sounds like you identify yourself more with Libertarians than either of the two parties.

Sounds like you identify yourself more with Libertarians than either of the two parties.

Perhaps. Libertarian. I'll have to check into it. Politically I'm a nothing right now. There have to be some other "political nothings" out there, right? Maybe that's it.

The Dead and a lot of other band allow and even encourage taping. I have downloaded recordings of many shows I've been to.

The truth is:

1. The Dead know they can never stop it

2. The more they try to stop it, the more desirable it becomes.

3. They were better off letting people hook up to the PA, or letting them set up their gear, because at least this way, they could ensure that the quality of the tape was good.

Now, if only we could get the drug prohibition people to

1. Admit hat they can never stop it

2. Realize that the more they ban it, the cooler it becomes.

3. Accept the reality that we are better off letting people buy drugs directly from pharma companies, because at least this way, they could ensure that the quality of the drugs was good, and won't cost us a $250,000 emergency room visit every time we turn around.

The cost treatment for bad drugs alone justifies legalization. Looks like the Dead are once again ahead of their time. Perhaps in my lifetime we can put an end to the emotional, "drugs are bad" argument, and pursue the reasoned, "drugs are here" argument?

So true! Spot on!

Like you said... Work for the federal gov't and you will quickly find out that the same applies there:

"Don't do as I do, do as I tell you."

:wallbash: :wallbash:

So true! Spot on!

Like you said... Work for the federal gov't and you will quickly find out that the same applies there:

"Don't do as I do"? What government managers have you worked with that do anything?

So true! Spot on!

Ah yes the ole liberal hypocrisy. As I've said a bunch of times before it's to easy for liberals to be hypocrites. Or so hard for them not to be.