WGR 550 the low rent district of radio

mchammer

Even though I live in New England, I was lucky enough to watch the Bills get their first win against the Lions today. I wanted to keep the good feeling going, so I logged onto WGR 550 and was listening to callers talk about the game. Unless you want to talk about next year’s draft and who the Bills should take, you’re flat out of luck. Three callers in a row were hung up on because one called Bulldog by some other name (How an international superstar like Bulldog could be forgotten is just beyond comprehension). The next caller wanted to talk about the win today and just enjoy the moment, but as Bulldog put it, “let’s talk about what I want to talk about, not the callers”. The last caller was rambling a little too long, so they cut him off and then talked about how they thought he was going to curse (let’s face it, Bulldog not only knows everything there is about the Bills, but he can read minds as well). If this station isn’t the low rent district of radio I don’t know what is. I’ve commented before about how bad this station is, but it’s the only game in town. I like to hear the local flavor and what the bills fans are thinking so I tune in from time to time. I just grit my teeth and bear it, but after today’s display of arrogance I just can’t listen anymore.

I guess for one last time I'll say it. Why would you listen to Dope and the Lapdog for any reason? They are on to dump on the team and to generally ruin any positive you may feel. The station didn't get the Bills broadcast contract and has since decided to dump on the team fairly or unfairly. Don't listen. You'll be better for it.

I live out of Buffalo also, listening to a bit of this. Unbelievable. The callers turned on him...he had like 5 or 6 prank calls in a row. It's kind of pathetic. And the guy just talks about how he's conflicted and how he wants Luck all show. Why not talk a bit about individual performances. The defense had a lot of them today....talk about how David Martin is terrible...Kyle williams is great every week POz is playing better hell Kelsay had a good day today....why not talk football?

Agreed...I turned it to 97 rock as here we are winning a game finally, and something to feel good about and he is complaining about the 1st pick in the draft and not getting Luck. The Bills are fully capable of going 5-3 in their last 8 games and I's rather see them learn to win and compete and start turning into a good TEAM as opposed to holding on to some hypothetical dream for a guy who might come out, might be the number one pick, might be as good as Fitzpatrick has played this year in 2013, etc.... And the thing is the next Andrew Luck is coming out in 2012, 2013, 2014 etc...there will always be good QBs coming out and your chance is still less than 50% he is going to be an All Pro.

Why not enjoy the feeling of a win for the team, organization and community and use it to feel good and build on!!

Just to defend one thing that was said; WGR uses a delay on their phone calls so if they do swear they can dump the call and it won't go on the air. So yes they do know when callers swear. It's not ESP, it's called a broadcast delay.

But I do agree that WGR, and in particular Schopp and Bulldog, is a complete, utter joke and an insult to real local sports fans. For the love of god I have no idea how Bulldog is still employed as a sports talk host. He is a blithering idiot who strains to form a coherent sentence. His role apparently is to fluff Schopp and Sully.

PTR

Bring back the empire sports network!!! Those guys were awesome and Schopp was good then.

I can't tell you how often I've lamented the loss of Empire since the rigas family screwed up. For both the Bills and the Sabres. I still keep Empire in my favorites list in the lame hope that the station might be revived.

Even though I live in New England, I was lucky enough to watch the Bills get their first win against the Lions today. I wanted to keep the good feeling going, so I logged onto WGR 550 and was listening to callers talk about the game. Unless you want to talk about next year’s draft and who the Bills should take, you’re flat out of luck. Three callers in a row were hung up on because one called Bulldog by some other name (How an international superstar like Bulldog could be forgotten is just beyond comprehension). The next caller wanted to talk about the win today and just enjoy the moment, but as Bulldog put it, “let’s talk about what I want to talk about, not the callers”. The last caller was rambling a little too long, so they cut him off and then talked about how they thought he was going to curse (let’s face it, Bulldog not only knows everything there is about the Bills, but he can read minds as well). If this station isn’t the low rent district of radio I don’t know what is. I’ve commented before about how bad this station is, but it’s the only game in town. I like to hear the local flavor and what the bills fans are thinking so I tune in from time to time. I just grit my teeth and bear it, but after today’s display of arrogance I just can’t listen anymore.

Those were crank calls. I was listening at the time.

I can't tell you how often I've lamented the loss of Empire since the rigas family screwed up. For both the Bills and the Sabres. I still keep Empire in my favorites list in the lame hope that the station might be revived.

The offices of the now defunct Empire Sports Network on Indian Church Road in West Seneca, NY are like a ghost town. I wish there was something comparable but I fear we may never see the likes of the Empire Sports Network ever again.

I'm a big defender of Schopp and Bulldog on here. Bulldog's post-game was, well, stupid. You've got fans who are hungry for that no. 1 pick, of course, but none of us want to be fans of the national joke that is a 0-16 team. That stopped today. Instead of celebrating it, or at least joining in the collective relief, Bulldog went on a completely tangential rampage. Hey, bud, how about discussing the good plays? The pass breakups (the secondary was other-worldly at times today), the running game (not bad, for having half of a healthy starter), or even the D that held, broke, and then held again when it mattered?

No, it was all about how the Bills are going to lose their dream QB. Who may not come out of college, and even if he does, and even if the BIlls pick second, well, the Bills still may get him. (The Panthers took 2 Qs last year: Clausen and Pike. What makes us think they're taking another one, even if they finish below Buffalo?) How did today's game meaningfully affect the future?

Anyway, and as I have said, I really normally enjoy S&B (they usually ease my post-work commute), but that was BS today.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Don't forget too, WGR is the voice of the Sabres. If WGR can take attention, interest and maybe sponsors away from the Bills, maybe the Sabres can pick them up instead. There's a limited amount of money to go around in Buffalo, so if because of their rants, someone decides to go to a Sabres game instead of the Bills, again a win for WGR.

So I think WGR dumps on the Bills because:

A) It helps the Sabres

B) The Bills did turn down WGR for broadcast rights so there are hard feelings

C) WGR has dumped on the Bills over the years, In return th Bills made it a bit tougher on WGR to work with them. Seems it was tit for tat back and forth, each trying to piss off the other. So WGR goes out of their way whenever they can to dump on the Bill's

As far as WGR being a bunch of idiots, seems they are pretty effective as there are always a number of threads here talking about what idiots they are. Sounds like they are alot smarter than you think as people are always talking about them!

Edited by Ed_Roch

Don't forget too, WGR is the voice of the Sabres. If WGR can take attention, interest and maybe sponsors away from the Bills, maybe the Sabres can pick them up instead. There's a limited amount of money to go around in Buffalo, so if because of their rants, someone decides to go to a Sabres game instead of the Bills, again a win for WGR.

So I think WGR dumps on the Bills because:

A) It helps the Sabres

B) The Bills did turn down WGR for broadcast rights so there are hard feelings

C) WGR has dumped on the Bills over the years, In return th Bills made it a bit tougher on WGR to work with them. Seems it was tit for tat back and forth, each trying to piss off the other. So WGR goes out of their way whenever they can to dump on the Bill's

As far as WGR being a bunch of idiots, seems they are pretty effective as there are always a number of threads here talking about what idiots they are. Sounds like they are alot smarter than you think as people are always talking about them!

Talk about them? Yes. Listen to them? No. And that's what pays their bills.

PTR

Try checking out 97rock.com for next time. They stream their postgame show online and it's far from brilliant, but they actually talk about the game. Schopp is one of the most mean-spirted, downright hateful and condescending *ricks I've ever heard, not just on the radio, but in life. I refuse to listen to the afternoon show.