Luck supporters get used to Mallett~

TH3

I don't think you need to worry - Nix & Co. will not screw up the draft, but we could still lose the Ryan Mallett prize (Luck's staying in school) to any # of teams - Carolina, SF, Dallas, even NE* (via the Raiders pick)!

I don't think we have to worry about NE...Oakland is 5-4, which means we need another 5 wins just to catch them!

On a side note, getting a first round pick for Seymour was still a steal but for once something didn't break for the Pats, they were talking about having a top 5 pick but now in that weak division it could be in the 20's.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you waste all this time compiling this crap???

1) No one reads it, and

2) I already have Google. :wallbash:

I disagree Senator. His post was very informative , well put together , and to be be honest , posts like that are a big reason why I frequent this site. Your posts on the other hand are borderline elementary , offer nothing of substance or intrigue , and are just plain useless and ignorant.

I am a strong supporter of Andrew Luck. Is he coming out? I don't know and neither do you. Am I rooting for the Bills to lose? No. I'm very confident that the Bills are capable enough of losing based on their own disabilities. Even if Luck was more inclined to stay in school he would have to seriously consider coming out if he was the #1 ranked player. If his current HC (Harbaugh) leaves for another opportunity such as Michigan or the 49ers then I think Luck will very likely come out.

Although you constantly harrangue Bills fans for being disloyal and rooting against them (which for the most part isn't true) you should focus more of your energies on a very inept owner and ramshackle organization. The Bills are far away from being a relevant team not because of its very irritated fanbase but simply because the organization is very mediocre.

Even if the Bills get the first pick and are able to acquire the franchise qb they so much covet the Bills are still years away from being a serious team. The present roster will mostly have to be turned over in the next couple of years. It is a long haul and major endeavor to get out of the deep trench of mediocrity that this franchise is currently in.

Respectfully disagree - in mid-season 1986 Marv Levy took over a team that had consecutive 2-14 seasons in '84 & '85 - two seasons later the Bills finished 12-4, won the AFC East, and went on to the AFC title game against the Bengals.

I believe it can - and will - happen again.

Regarding the ownership, also respectfully disagree. Any other owner and this team would have been GONE from Western New York DECADES ago, so be very careful what you wish for.

And as for my 'haranguing' any and all fans who profess a preference for losing games, well, I'm gonna keep doing that...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

8 and 8, baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

I disagree Senator. His post was very informative , well put together , and to be be honest , posts like that are a big reason why I frequent this site. Your posts on the other hand are borderline elementary , offer nothing of substance or intrigue , and are just plain useless and ignorant.

Thanks Steve! I appreciate this.

Respectfully disagree - in mid-season 1986 Marv Levy took over a team that had consecutive 2-14 seasons in '84 & '85 - two seasons later the Bills finished 12-4, won the AFC East, and went on to the AFC title game against the Bengals.

If Bill Polian was our GM as he was during that period of time I would agree with you.

I believe it can - and will - happen again.

Don't you remember the owner cautioned "Pain and Patience"?

Regarding the ownership, also respectfully disagree. Any other owner and this team would have been GONE from Western New York DECADES ago, so be very careful what you wish for.

Over the past eight years the owner has made nearly a quarter of a billion dollars. He has a good thing going and he knows it. The local fans have been very good to him. He hasn't returned the favor with a respectable product.

8 and 8, baby!!!!![/i] B-)

What future generation do you think this will occur? If you think it is going to happen this year or next then you are certifiably ??????

Couldn't agree more. People always complain about where facts come from and now, a good, well researched post gets bashed. It must be another Monday after a Bill's loss...

His post, besides being downright painful to read, offered little to support to his original point (see his earlier post) that the Bills are better off losing the rest of their games, or at least enough to ensure a high draft pick. His post was, in fact, moronic, as is anyone who thinks otherwise.

The Billies are going to win a game here - probably next week. Carolina is going to lose out. Bills probably won't have the first pick....Bulldog is going to have to be put in a padded room.

I like Mallett too.

I really hope we don't get the first pick !! It's way to much of a waste of money especially for a small market team which we are & to big of a gamble ala Tim Couch , Jamarcus Russel !!

I know that most great QB'S are taken very high in the draft, but if we take one in the first round , not necessarily at #1 we will be all the better for it .

And having a QB like Fitz puts us in the position to NOT have to do some thing stupid and pick say Locker with out first over all pick & have him wind up like Losman or worse .

But in true Bills fashion between Ralph & his impatient fan base , we will more than likely get the first QB that comes to us (UNWORTHY) -- get our hopes WAY UP THERE ( ala Losman ,Edwards,) and have the rug pulled out from underneath us as fans yet again rather than install other pieces & pick the perfect Bills team leader .

The only way we get that guy is if Nix & Gailey can do the job they were hired to do !!! :thumbsup:

As i have heard it put once before though "If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough" Welcome to Buffalo !!

I really hope we don't get the first pick !! It's way to much of a waste of money especially for a small market team which we are & to big of a gamble ala Tim Couch , Jamarcus Russel !!

I know that most great QB'S are taken very high in the draft, but if we take one in the first round , not necessarily at #1 we will be all the better for it .

And having a QB like Fitz puts us in the position to NOT have to do some thing stupid and pick say Locker with out first over all pick & have him wind up like Losman or worse .

But in true Bills fashion between Ralph & his impatient fan base , we will more than likely get the first QB that comes to us (UNWORTHY) -- get our hopes WAY UP THERE ( ala Losman ,Edwards,) and have the rug pulled out from underneath us as fans yet again rather than install other pieces & pick the perfect Bills team leader .

The only way we get that guy is if Nix & Gailey can do the job they were hired to do !!! :thumbsup:

As i have heard it put once before though "If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough" Welcome to Buffalo !!

This is small minded pussi footed nonsense that got this franchise into the mess it is in.

Edwards is the kind of QB you get with this line of thinking.

If you throw out the stupidity of trading UP to get LOSSman in the LATE first, your line of thinking again, the last time the Bills took a QB in the first round was Jim Kelly. It's been 27 years since the Bills took a QB in the first.

Mallet and Luck are both definitely worth it.

If Fitzy doesn't keep up the good play it's time this franchise got it's self a franchise QB.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

This is small minded pussi footed nonsense that got this franchise into the mess it is in.

Edwards is the kind of QB you get with this line of thinking.

If you throw out the stupidity of trading UP to get LOSSman in the LATE first, your line of thinking again, the last time the Bills took a QB in the first round was Jim Kelly.

Mallet and Luck are both definitely worth it.

If Fitzy doesn't keep up the good play it's time this franchise got it's self a franchise QB.

You're mostly right. Saying a QB is gonna be a bust because Russell and Couch flunked out is a weak line of reasoning. For every Russell, there's an Elway. For every Couch, there's an Eli/Peyton.

Mallet as a 1st rounder maybe, Luck certainly yes. Just my opinion, but I can't believe all the people who have been quick to throw Locker out the door, especially in favor of Mallet. The dude played on an absolutely horrible team and still registered his fair share of upsets throughout his career (USC twice, blew-out a 19th ranked Cal). He's played hurt this year, and while some of his games can't really be defended (Nebraska), he does the most with the least out of all the major QB prospects. I just wouldn't sleep on him if the Bill's were to trade out of the pick in the event Luck isn't available, or we win a few games and don't get a shot at the best DE, etc.

Edited by stony

We'll see...It's WAY too early to assume that, especially if you've actually watched Mallett play...The questions with Mallett are mostly off the field and in the Film room...And none of those questions have been proven yet...Based on the way he plays, if Mallett interviewed well and had the reputation that Luck has, it would be a heck of a battle between the 2 of them for #1 Overall...And it still may turn out to be...So let's wait and see what happens...I see a lot of folks assuming Mallett is stupid, or a pot head, or a meth head, blah, blah, blah...But on most Saturdays the Kid goes out and puts up big numbers against SEC competition and makes it look pretty easy...His arm is made for Buffalo winters...So I would not be so quick to write him off as a potential #1 or #2 Overall just yet... B-)

Totally agree. Mallett's got an arm and can zing those outs better than most. He's also very accurate and has a high completion percentage. Would even be higher if his receivers would stop dropping passes.

You're mostly right. Saying a QB is gonna be a bust because Russell and Couch flunked out is a weak line of reasoning. For every Russell, there's an Elway. For every Couch, there's an Eli/Peyton.

Mallet as a 1st rounder maybe, Luck certainly yes. Just my opinion, but I can't believe all the people who have been quick to throw Locker out the door, especially in favor of Mallet. The dude played on an absolutely horrible team and still registered his fair share of upsets throughout his career (USC twice, blew-out a 19th ranked Cal). He's played hurt this year, and while some of his games can't really be defended (Nebraska), he does the most with the least out of all the major QB prospects. I just wouldn't sleep on him if the Bill's were to trade out of the pick in the event Luck isn't available, or we win a few games and don't get a shot at the best DE, etc.

1 thing early first round busts have in common is less than 60% completion percentage.

Locker is not going to finish his college carreer with a greater than 60% completion percentage. Locker early is the kind of risk the franchise cannot take. If Mallet and Luck are off the board (or not in the draft) you go with the best front 7 defender in the draft don't reach on Locker or really any other QB.

If Locker falls to the early 3rd which is very likely. Then Locker could be thought about and developed but I would rather take another LB in the 3rd over another sub par QB.

The Billies are going to win a game here - probably next week. Carolina is going to lose out. Bills probably won't have the first pick....Bulldog is going to have to be put in a padded room.

I like Mallett too.

Fitz is the best option. We cant afford to waste another top pick on a QB we dont need. Use it to fix our lines.

Why would Carolina pass on Luck just because they used a second-rounder on a QB the previous season? Do you pass on a Jaguar just because you already own a Civic?

It's tough to get too concerned about this right now, though. A few things have to happen for it to even matter, starting with Luck leaving school.

I believe the more apt comparison is passing on the jag for a boat or house because you already have the shiny new civic. Theyre coming away with something valuable, so it might be worth looking at lots selling something other then cars. The car might still be the smart choice though.

1 thing early first round busts have in common is less than 60% completion percentage.

Locker is not going to finish his college carreer with a greater than 60% completion percentage. Locker early is the kind of risk the franchise cannot take. If Mallet and Luck are off the board (or not in the draft) you go with the best front 7 defender in the draft don't reach on Locker or really any other QB.

If Locker falls to the early 3rd which is very likely. Then Locker could be thought about and developed but I would rather take another LB in the 3rd over another sub par QB.

Yeah, your right on. I'm not advocating him being selected by the Bills early, though. Also, the sub-par 60% has to do w/ a lot of drops and little time in the pocket.

His post, besides being downright painful to read, offered little to support to his original point (see his earlier post) that the Bills are better off losing the rest of their games, or at least enough to ensure a high draft pick. His post was, in fact, moronic, as is anyone who thinks otherwise.

I am probably making a mistake by replying to you at all. Every word you've written has indicated you have no interest in any sort of reasonable discussion. You label those who disagree with you "moronic," and refuse to read longer posts that present information inconsistent with your preconceived, incorrect notions. Your approach to this discussion has been pure arrogance completely unsupported by intellectual rigor.

But just to make the record clear, my initial post contended that a pick early in the first round is worth more than a pick later on in the first round. The premise that a good GM can do as much with a later pick as he could have done with an earlier pick is clearly and demonstrably wrong. Bill Polian is a good GM who's been around for a long time, and has worked for three different teams. During those years, he's had four picks in the top-5, and nine picks in slots 21 - 32. And yet, he acquired significantly more talent with that small number of top-5 picks than he did with the much larger number of picks later in the first round. Do you really need a detailed explanation as to why that example supports the premise that an early pick is worth more than a later pick? :rolleyes:

I do not expect you to respond to that point--or any other--with intelligent, rational debate. Rather, you will engage in more name-calling, and more arrogance and snide remarks directed against anyone who dares disagree with you. Your parents obviously failed to teach you the basic rudiments of common courtesy, and I certainly do not hope to succeed where they so clearly failed. Continue in the tone you've adopted, but note that I and others will think less of you because of it.

I like Mallett too.

The Bills do not have a good enough offensive line for Mallett. He would not last a game here. I would rather have Cameron than him. If not luck then go Offensive line or a great front 7 defensive player.

The Bills do not have a good enough offensive line for Mallett. He would not last a game here. I would rather have Cameron than him. If not luck then go Offensive line or a great front 7 defensive player.

There is much merit in this post. Still, one would hope that with a top 5 pick in every round, the OL situation could be improved. Also, while Mallett isn't very mobile, his arm is so extremely powerful that he doesn't need to step into most of his throws.

There are all different types of arm strength. JP for instance had a very powerful arm. However, Mallett could stand flat footed and make the same throws as JP.

I agree that Mallett is not a very safe selection, but I base this more on his maturity level from what people say, although his coach says he has matured a great deal. Imo if this kid can be coached up, the Bills would have a QB custom made for the winds and the cold of WNY, Foxboro and the swamps of NJ.

Again, jmo.

It's not 2008. If you haven't noticed the line has been pass blocking pretty well. If you get a player that works out at RT or LT then move Bell to RT and add depth at C you now have what could be an above average line with 3 top 3 round drafted players. (1. Wood, 2 Levitre, 3 2011 draft)

Mallet is just as mobile as Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady. You don't have 65% completion percentage against the best defenses in college football in the SEC by being a slouch.

Fans have turned Luck into something he can never be already. If you actually watch the Stanford games and not read about them I think you're left with a feeling that Luck is definitely a good QB but definitely needs some major development. By 2012 he'll be closer to what fans think he is now. He looks Very robotic, and does what Harbough tells him to do and not much more than that. He hasn't developed the IT factor. If you actually watch the games and see something different I'd be surprised.

Mallet however looks like a baby Peyton Manning with all the pre snap non sense his does. Gesticulating and generally carrying on in the backfield to try and confuse much better SEC defenses than the PAC-10. He has mastery of that offense and much more of the IT factor.

Keep in mind both can stay in because of the labor situation.

The Bills may have the top pick with no QBs to choose from. Then we'll consider ourselves lucky for finding Fitzy in 2010.

There is much merit in this post. Still, one would hope that with a top 5 pick in every round, the OL situation could be improved. Also, while Mallett isn't very mobile, his arm is so extremely powerful that he doesn't need to step into most of his throws.

There are all different types of arm strength. JP for instance had a very powerful arm. However, Mallett could stand flat footed and make the same throws as JP.

I agree that Mallett is not a very safe selection, but I base this more on his maturity level from what people say, although his coach says he has matured a great deal. Imo if this kid can be coached up, the Bills would have a QB custom made for the winds and the cold of WNY, Foxboro and the swamps of NJ.

Again, jmo.

Bill, I think Mallett is a VERY safe pick - and also think that, if he's there when we're 'on the clock', he's the guy Nix will take. If Chan Gailey and George Cortez got Fitz playing this well, I have no doubts they can work wonders with a not-so-raw Sasquatch-of-a-QB like Ryan Mallett. And yeah, it'll be fun - for a change - watching a guy who can throw the ball 70 yards into a gale-force wind!

And I'm not nearly as concerned about the O-line as you (maybe I should be), especially if Nix can grab Gabe Carimi in round 2 or trade back into round one if necessary to get him. They still need to address DE and OLB/ILB needs in the mid-rounds, so I expect they'll address any add'l O-line needs thru trades, UFAs, and free agency - along with another year of experience/maturity for the current crew.

But Mallett's the key. Then, Carimi.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Again, jmo.

If Mallett is rated in the range of 15-18 as a player and you are picking in the 1-3 spot do you take Mallett? Would you take an impact defensive player and then maybe be able to get the Auborn qb or Locker in the second round? Or do you just follow your board and get the best players you can get to address your many needs? A lot of tough choices and a lot of time to consider those choices. That is one benefit of following an out of the running type team.

I watched every pass play Harbaugh called in the 2009 game against USC and I don't feel like Luck should be the top pick. He is mobile and makes some highlight reel throws but his accuracy is actually even less consistent than Fitzpatrick's. He's a downgrade from Fitz in my opinion. Unless Luck has improved a lot there is no way he should even be considered.

I haven't seen Mallet but his statistics look pretty similar to Brian Brohm's in Bobby Petrino's system. Brohm still hasn't got his chance by the way, this is a coaching staff that gave the majority of reps to Trent Edwards through the offseason. We have two good young quarterbacks, I think we take the best player regardless of position if we are stuck at the top pick. Let's make sure we land a guy who's bust will be in Canton.

If you don't like his posts, don't read them. I always appreciate when some takes the effort to compile data. Edwards Arm put more effort into that post than most modern day sports writers put into their articles.

Edwards Arm :thumbsup:

Again, jmo.

I think you and I are seeing Mallett the exact same way Bill...And I think it should be made clear that no one outside of his direct Family and maybe some folks in Arkansas is saying Mallett is a sure thing, cause he's not...But neither is Luck...

What Mallett has is upside...Almost endless upside...He has an arm made for RWS...Folks want to talk about his mobility and how he's going to get killed behind our line, I disagree...I think one thing Fitz has shown is that Gailey's Offense is a rhythm Passing Offense...You take your drop and you fire it...Mallett should fit right in...And unless the Bills can build an effective Run Offense anyone outside of the 2nd coming of Flutie is going to get banged around a bit...So lets not kid ourselves...Watch Mallett in games...He's got that big QB pocket sense, kind of like Big Ben...What I mean is he keeps his eyes down field and does not seem to be overly concerned about taking a hit because he's 6-6-250...He's a REAL big dude for a QB...And he may not be Mike Vick back there, but in comparison to say Tom Brady, Mallett is a gazelle...

With Mallett it's all going to come down to his dedication...How hard will he work on his Game and how concerned is he with being the best? Cause the physical skill are there in abundance...He may not be the greatest interview or have the highest GPA (He reminds me of Big Ben in that regard), but watching this Kid pick apart SEC Defenses week in and week out is going to impress Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey...I promise everyone on this board it will...Watch this Arkansas Team...When Mallett goes out and gives them an early lead you can just see the play elevate all over the Field...even on Defense! It's Arkansas not Alabama out there...There's something to be said for it...Don't disregard the Gailey factor where Mallett is concerned either...If Gailey thinks he can Coach the Kid to greatness he's going to skyrocket up the Bills Draft Board, maybe even to that top spot...

We'll see soon enough I guess...But no question in my mind...Right now as things stand today (and yes things can change a lot in 6 Months) Mallett is every bit as much of a consideration for The Bills Pick in the 1st Round as any other current College Player...And maybe a little more than anyone, outside of Luck, because he's a QB... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Bill, I think Mallett is a VERY safe pick - and also think that, if he's there when we're 'on the clock', he's the guy Nix will take. If Chan Gailey and George Cortez got Fitz playing this well, I have no doubts they can work wonders with a not-so-raw Sasquatch-of-a-QB like Ryan Mallett. And yeah, it'll be fun - for a change - watching a guy who can throw the ball 70 yards into a gale-force wind!

And I'm not nearly as concerned about the O-line as you (maybe I should be), especially if Nix can grab Gabe Carimi in round 2 or trade back into round one if necessary to get him. They still need to address DE and OLB/ILB needs in the mid-rounds, so I expect they'll address any add'l O-line needs thru trades, UFAs, and free agency - along with another year of experience/maturity for the current crew.

But Mallett's the key. Then, Carimi.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Mallet will get destroyed behind our line. Yes, it has improved somewhat from last year, yes I believe it will continue to do so. But Fitz has excelled thus far because he is willing to take shots and because he doesn't do a whole lot of seven step PA drops. He has proven to be very,very durable because in short, what does he have to lose. Also, why do we need a guy who can throw it 70yds into "gale force winds?"

If you don't like his posts, don't read them. I always appreciate when some takes the effort to compile data. Edwards Arm put more effort into that post than most modern day sports writers put into their articles.

Edwards Arm :thumbsup:

I don't read them, because they're painful to read - in fact, once I sign-in, I don't even see them 'cause he's on my 'ignore' list.

The info he wastes so much time compiling and posting is readily available to anyone with a search engine, and the conclusions he draws from those volumes of data are spurious.

I decided months ago that, to continue enjoying TSW, especially with the recent influx of troll-like provocateurs, I'd have to put anyone that irks me on my 'ignore' list - which is where I just put you.

I suggest you put me on yours.

Edited by The Senator

You don't know with any more certainty than the "Luck-lovers" what Andrew Luck will do. There have been reports both that he is staying and that he is leaving.

The Senator knows everything! :lol:

Truth is, now that he has proclaimed Luck WILL stay in school, you can probably bet your life savings he will come out.

Of course I don't KNOW what Luck will do after this season. But if he is in line to be the #1 (or #2) pick in the draft, he'd be a bit foolish to stay in school. It's done wonders for Jake Locker's draft status.

Also, why do we need a guy who can throw it 70yds into "gale force winds?"

I take it you've never been to a game in Orchard Park.

Truth is, now that he has proclaimed Luck WILL stay in school, you can probably bet your life savings he will come out.

Now you've done it, Dean - you're gone and blown up the whole strategy.

You're next on the 'ignore' list, buddy! :angry:

(Seriously, have any of my predictions ever come to pass? :lol: )

I take it you've never been to a game in Orchard Park.

I make it to at least two games a year, and always pick at least one game to "enjoy" the elements. I just don't think a reasonable OC would ever call a play that requires our QB to throw it over 50yds into 32-63mph wind. Maybe get aggressive when the winds are at our back, but definitely not when were going into them.

Edited by stony

Of course I don't KNOW what Luck will do after this season. But if he is in line to be the #1 (or #2) pick in the draft, he'd be a bit foolish to stay in school. It's done wonders for Jake Locker's draft status.

If owners know they are going to lockout players why would they sign and pay huge money to rookies that won't play?

They don't lose anything by waiting until the Lockout is over to sign rookies, they own the rights until February.

One of the major issues in the labor negotiations is rookie salary cap, the NFLPA isn't completely opposed to some sort of rookie salary cap. So again why would a team pay the #1 pick 60 mil in guaranteed money with a huge signing bonus then lock the players out?

Its very likely that 1st round picks will have to wait awhile to sign a contract and worst case scenario reenter the 2012 draft.

Luck has 3.2+ GPA in an Engineering program at Stanford. He is too smart to get caught up in the nonsense.

Mallet isn't a rocket scientist but he has a year of eligibility left, who knows if he comes out.

Locker will be in the 2011 draft but I hope the Bills stay away from the Bust Locker early.

Fans have turned Luck into something he can never be already. If you actually watch the Stanford games and not read about them I think you're left with a feeling that Luck is definitely a good QB but definitely needs some major development. By 2012 he'll be closer to what fans think he is now. He looks Very robotic, and does what Harbough tells him to do and not much more than that. He hasn't developed the IT factor. If you actually watch the games and see something different I'd be surprised.

Mallet however looks like a baby Peyton Manning with all the pre snap non sense his does. Gesticulating and generally carrying on in the backfield to try and confuse much better SEC defenses than the PAC-10. He has mastery of that offense and much more of the IT factor.

Mallett a baby Manning? He has the "IT factor" but Luck doesn't? That's ridiculous.

Arkansas ranks 44th in the country in 3rd down conversion. Stanford ranks 2nd. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct

Also go back to last season when Arkansas ranked a lowly 103rd in the country in 3rd down conversion while Stanford ranked 21st. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/year/2009 . 103rd in the country is quite frankly embarrassing for a highly rated QB prospect.

Luck is a tremendously quick decision maker which is why HE always gets compared to Manning. Did you know he has only taken 3 sacks this season? THREE! And only 6 sacks last season so less than 10 for his career thus far. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=380470 . Mallett has taken 14 sacks this season and 24 sacks last season.

There's a reason why Luck is considered far and away the best QB prospect in the country. He has 90% of Mallett's arm strength but many times more mobility, football IQ, regular IQ, and feel for the game. The boy moves the chains. And on top of all that Luck is an explosive athlete, and the devastating hit he laid on that USC defender will remain the stuff of youtube legend.

With all that said, I expect Luck to be playing college football next year and I wouldn't mind the Bills taking Mallett. He's no sure thing but no draft pick is and you have to take chances to be great.

If Mallett is rated in the range of 15-18 as a player and you are picking in the 1-3 spot do you take Mallett? Would you take an impact defensive player and then maybe be able to get the Auborn qb or Locker in the second round? Or do you just follow your board and get the best players you can get to address your many needs? A lot of tough choices and a lot of time to consider those choices. That is one benefit of following an out of the running type team.

I doubt very much Mallett will be rated from 15-18 by the time April comes around...If he keeps up what he's doing now, interviews OK and has decent workouts throwing the Ball he'll be Rated in everyone's Top 10 bare minimum...

Go ahead and re-do the 2004 Draft...Big Ben was rated right around where he went at #11 overall by most...But where would he go in the Re-Draft? Maybe #1 Overall? #2 or #3 for sure...I was just looking back at some Ratings before that 2004 Draft and Scott Wright from Draftcountdown had Big Ben Rated #4 Overall so good for him, but then he had Phillip Rivers Rated #22 Overall...So...Bottom line is simple...If you think Mallett is a Franchise QB, and Andrew Luck is either off the board or still at Stanford, you Draft him wherever you Pick...If you don't, you pass on him and take the best Defensive Lineman or OT you can get...It's really that simple... But like I said I doubt Mallett will be anything other than a Top 5 Pick by the time it's all said and done, assuming only that he keeps doing what he's doing...Which is completing 67% of his Passes while tearing up the best Conference in College Football week in and week out... B-)

Mallett a baby Manning? He has the "IT factor" but Luck doesn't? That's ridiculous.

Arkansas ranks 44th in the country in 3rd down conversion. Stanford ranks 2nd. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct

Also go back to last season when Arkansas ranked a lowly 103rd in the country in 3rd down conversion while Stanford ranked 21st. http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/thirdDownConvPct/year/2009 . 103rd in the country is quite frankly embarrassing for a highly rated QB prospect.

Luck is a tremendously quick decision maker which is why HE always gets compared to Manning. Did you know he has only taken 3 sacks this season? THREE! And only 6 sacks last season so less than 10 for his career thus far. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=380470 . Mallett has taken 14 sacks this season and 24 sacks last season.

There's a reason why Luck is considered far and away the best QB prospect in the country. He has 90% of Mallett's arm strength but many times more mobility, football IQ, regular IQ, and feel for the game. The boy moves the chains. And on top of all that Luck is an explosive athlete, and the devastating hit he laid on that USC defender will remain the stuff of youtube legend.

With all that said, I expect Luck to be playing college football next year and I wouldn't mind the Bills taking Mallett. He's no sure thing but no draft pick is and you have to take chances to be great.

100% agree...

While I like Mallett a lot, Luck is a no-brainer Pick if he comes out...His intangibles are off the Chart... B-)

I make it to at least two games a year, and always pick at least one game to "enjoy" the elements. I just don't think a reasonable OC would ever call a play that requires our QB to throw it over 50yds into 32-63mph wind. Maybe get aggressive when the winds are at our back, but definitely not when were going into them.

I had no idea the precise measurement of a 'gale-force wind' was 32-63 mph until I just 'Googled' it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you've convinced me now - Mallett is no good for us. :thumbdown:

(If he were to 'launch one' with the wind at that speed, it'd sail all the way to the Peace Bridge.)

Edited by The Senator

I had no idea the precise measurement of a 'gale-force wind' was 32-63 mph until I just 'Googled' it. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you've convinced me now - Mallett is no good for us. :thumbdown:

(If he were to 'launch one' with the wind at that speed, it'd sail all the way to the Peace Bridge.)

and it would be quite awesome.

I doubt very much Mallett will be rated from 15-18 by the time April comes around...If he keeps up what he's doing now, interviews OK and has decent workouts throwing the Ball he'll be Rated in everyone's Top 10 bare minimum...

Absolutely! GMs will just not let someone this talented drop that low. Where was Sanchez expected to be taken? QBs frequently shoot right to the top around draft day, along with Left Tackles and pass rushing DEs.

Read until the period.

Mallet however looks like a baby Peyton Manning with all the pre snap non sense he* does.

*corrected

By quoting all the 3rd down stats it seems like you haven't actually watched the games.

If you watch the games you'd know what I mean.

Mallet's pre snap antics are very similar to Manning's pre-snap antics. People that actually watch Mallet play know this.

I'm not comparing their college game play, as I didn't watch many Tennessee games when Manning was in college.

I'm saying his pre-snap antics demonstrate that he plays with a lot of confidence and mastery of his offensive system, as compared to Luck's robotic nature.

And yes Mallet does have the swagger and IT factor going for him. I watched the Stanford USC game and when Luck crushed that CB, the hair on my arms stood up. That was amazing.

That however has nothing to do with Mallet.

In the greater sense I agree with you, if by some unlikely turn of events Luck is in the 2011 draft.

He is the clear pick.

It is very likely Luck will not be there when the Bills pick in 2011.

That is the point of this thread.

I would love to get Luck with our first pick but I do feel that Dallas and Carolina are going to be picking ahead of us so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the time we pick. I would be happy with Mallett. He's 6' 7" with one of the strongest arms so he would be a great fit to play in Buffalo. If we can't get one of those 2, I wouldn't mind us trying to trade our first pick for a proven QB (I would still like to get Vick, bash him all you want, he get results.). With our 2nd pick, I would like to get the best DE available. Then somewhere down the line I would like us to get a TE. I really like Andre Smith from VA Tech. He's a big kid that can block and has good hands. When VA Tech doesn't use him they loose.

I'm not sold on our Def. Coordinator (yet). He's either a genius that is trying to implement a system that will take years to develop or he's totally in over his head. I still cringe everytime I hear the name Edwards. Perhaps we have the "Edwards curse". Just to be safe we should get rid of anyone with the name Edwards. I would give Dwan Edwards the option of changing his name if he want's to stay. We also loose every game in Toronto so I would put an end to that as well, enough is enough. The 12th man is on the wall in Orchard Park for a reason, not in Toronto.

Who do you recommend for our next Def. Coordinator?