Luck supporters get used to Mallett~

TH3

I doubt very much Mallett will be rated from 15-18 by the time April comes around...If he keeps up what he's doing now, interviews OK and has decent workouts throwing the Ball he'll be Rated in everyone's Top 10 bare minimum...

Spot-on - almost every current mock has Mallett in the top 10 now, about half have him in the top 5 - and 'his stock is rising', as they say.

Mallett will be the Bills 1st-round pick, if he's there when we pick.

It is very likely Luck will not be there when the Bills pick in 2011.

Luck will not be there when anyone picks in 2011 - he'll be at Stanford, studying for finals and thinking about his senior year that will begin next Fall.

I would love to get Luck with our first pick but I do feel that Dallas and Carolina are going to be picking ahead of us so I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone by the time we pick. I would be happy with Mallett. He's 6' 7" with one of the strongest arms so he would be a great fit to play in Buffalo.

Luck won't be in this years draft - as 'bills44' pointed out yesterday, we should be more worried about Arkansas alum Jerry Jones taking Mallett, if Dallas picks before we do.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the way he plays, if Mallett interviewed well and had the reputation that Luck has, it would be a heck of a battle between the 2 of them for #1 Overall...

Which one is most like Ryan Leaf? I haven't actually seen either play and don't follow college football, so I don't have an opinion on the matter, but with a chance Luck doesn't come out, I don't see why the #1 pick is so much better than the #2 pick or the #3 pick. Obviously I'm rooting for the Cowboys and Panthers to win (but also rooting for the Bills to win). But I am buying in to the Luck is closer to Elway than Edwards hope at the moment.

I doubt very much Mallett will be rated from 15-18 by the time April comes around...If he keeps up what he's doing now, interviews OK and has decent workouts throwing the Ball he'll be Rated in everyone's Top 10 bare minimum...

I stand by my opinion that Mallett will be rated in the 15-18 or 15-20 range. That doesn't mean he won't be a good franchise qb. Will the Bills take a more highly rated defensive linemen or rushing OLB over a potential franchise qb whose rating numbers are lower? I'm not sure? You have to factor in that owner has made it clear that he wants to get a franchise qb in this draft.

Most analysts, at least at this point, believe that Luck is the best qb in this draft (if he comes out.) In my opinion he is the most ready for the NFL game. Even watching him at this point you can see him reading the defenses and quickly going through his progressions.

If Mallett is rated where I think he should be rated that doesn't mean that I am diminishing his prospects as a franchise qb. As you noted Phillip Rivers was rated #22 and has become one of the best qbs in the league.

While I like Mallett a lot, Luck is a no-brainer Pick if he comes out...His intangibles are off the Chart... B-)

You and I are simpatico on that point.

Senator, If you keep adding people to your ignore list there will be no one left to argue with. You can't brawl when there is no left one to brawl with unless you are looking in the mirror. :thumbsup::devil:

Edited by JohnC

Senator, If you keep adding people to your ignore list there will be no one left to argue with.

That's the general idea, John - to put up a huge fence and just talk Bills with the folks whose wit, insight, and repartee I enjoy and respect. :beer:

( Kind of like when Two Bills Drive was a great neighborhood, before all the riff-raff moved in and started throwing their garbage on the sidewalks and crapping on everyone's front lawns! )

I don't come here to argue, and life's too short to put up with morons and a-holes. 0:) )

( Kind of like when Two Bills Drive was a great neighborhood, before all the riff-raff moved in and started throwing their garbage on the sidewalks and crapping on everyone's front lawns! )

I don't come here to argue, and life's too short to put up with morons and a-holes. 0:) )

Just because I forgot the poop scoop that doesn't mean I should be banned from the neighborhood. So what if I throw my empty Papst Blue Ribbon beer cans onto your proberty. Getting a PBR buzz can be economical and be considered endearing in some parts of Arkansas and WV. Don't be so judgmental. :beer:

I'm betting Luck comes out. I see Harbaugh leaving for Michigan and Luck being told he's the top prospect in the draft.

In addition to Michigan there might be an opening at San Fran for Harbaugh. Singletary is losing a lot of support within the organization. Having and not having a quality franchise qb does have a dramatic impact on a team. As Matt Ryan and Bradford have demonstrated getting an impact qb in the draft can in short order elevate what were struggling franchises.

If Luck's not smart enough to stay in school with the prospect of a work stoppage coming, I'd rather pass anyway.

34 of the Sporting News top 100 draft prospects, including the top 20 are underclassmen. You would pass on each and everyone who is not a senior because he is not smart enough to foresee the future if there will be a lockout or not by January 15th, 2011, the last day he can declare for the annual NFL Football Draft?

In addition to Michigan there might be an opening at San Fran for Harbaugh. Singletary is losing a lot of support within the organization. Having and not having a quality franchise qb does have a dramatic impact on a team. As Matt Ryan and Bradford have demonstrated getting an impact qb in the draft can in short order elevate what were struggling franchises.

This is an interesting point...According to most of the "experts" Singletary is a gone for almost certain...It would really be a twist in this whole thing if Harbaugh got that job...That would be pretty awesome!!!

Of coarse I'm a Michigan Fan too, and I would not mind seeing Harbaugh head that way either... B-)

I keep trying - so far to no avail - to tell the Luck-lovers that they've got it skewed - they seem to want the Bills to continue losing every game this season so we can draft Andrew Luck. The problem is, Andy's staying at Stanford next year.

Luck-lovers, what the Bills REALLY need to do is not only continue to lose every game this season (just to protect our draft interests on the extreme long shot that Luck comes out this year), but also lose every game next season - when Luck does finally graduate and enter the draft.

That way, we'll have the first pick and our choice of Andy Luck OR - even better yet - Darron Thomas, who will make Luck-lovers forget all about Andy and throw him on the giant scrap-pile of TSW QBs-du-jour! :rolleyes:

it would be very silly to abandon the NFL draft to go back to school...

Just because I forgot the poop scoop that doesn't mean I should be banned from the neighborhood. So what if I throw my empty Papst Blue Ribbon beer cans onto your proberty. Getting a PBR buzz can be economical and be considered endearing in some parts of Arkansas and WV. Don't be so judgmental. :beer:

Meh...you've been living here since '02, so you're sort of the guy with all the junk in his backyard and the beat-up living room couch on your front porch. The neighbors and I tolerate you and find you amusing but sincere - just wish you'd tidy-up your property a bit! :nana:B-)

Interesting - I wonder, should Harbaugh get the EssEff job, if he would follow the advice of certain TSW geniuses and deliberately lose every game to ensure he can draft Luck in 2012? :unsure:

Interesting - I wonder, should Harbaugh get the EssEff job, if he would follow the advice of certain TSW geniuses and deliberately lose every game to ensure he can draft Luck in 2012? :unsure:

If Harbaugh should leave for any job the odds tilt more in the favor of Luck coming out, especially if Luck is rated as high as I think he is going to be rated.

It appears that you and I have a slightly different view of Luck compared to Mallett. From what I have seen of Luck I think he is the type of qb who can rather quickly elevate a team as did Matt Ryan for Atlanta and Bradford for St. Louis. Luck has the intangibles and grasp of the game where he can come in sooner and contribute than most young qbs.

The Bills franchise has been in the doldrums for a very long time. He would inject some much needed energy into a lackluster franchise. There is plenty of time from now to draft day. There are going to be a lot of twists and turns as to how players are rated and eventually drafted. It will be intriquing to see how this scenario plays out for the Bills.

Meh...you've been living here since '02, so you're sort of the guy with all the junk in his backyard and the beat-up living room couch on your front porch. The neighbors and I tolerate you and find you amusing but sincere - just wish you'd tidy-up your property a bit! :nana:B-)

Im not so sure Luck stays. THere have been conflicting reports on this issue.

I understand you are a big mallett fan, but i dont think Luck should be excluded from the conversation.

This is an interesting point...According to most of the "experts" Singletary is a gone for almost certain...It would really be a twist in this whole thing if Harbaugh got that job...That would be pretty awesome!!!

Of coarse I'm a Michigan Fan too, and I would not mind seeing Harbaugh head that way either... B-)

When Baltimore was looking for a new coach a few years ago Singletary was a candidate. Newsome was the GM and the owner, Bischotti, was relatively new. The collective thinking of the organization was that the Singletary approach of a hard nosed motivational style was too simplistic and would wear out in short order. They decided to hire Harbaugh. It turned out to be a terrific selection.

There would be some irony if the other Harbaugh brother ends up replacing Singletary at San Fran. With respect to Baltimore you have to give the organization credit in that they did a thorough vetting process when they made such critical staffing decision. That is a mark difference from the haphazard way the Bills' organization takes when they make their decisions.

If Harbaugh should leave for any job the odds tilt more in the favor of Luck coming out, especially if Luck is rated as high as I think he is going to be rated.

It appears that you and I have a slightly different view of Luck compared to Mallett. From what I have seen of Luck I think he is the type of qb who can rather quickly elevate a team as did Matt Ryan for Atlanta and Bradford for St. Louis. Luck has the intangibles and grasp of the game where he can come in sooner and contribute than most young qbs.

The Bills franchise has been in the doldrums for a very long time. He would inject some much needed energy into a lackluster franchise. There is plenty of time from now to draft day. There are going to be a lot of twists and turns as to how players are rated and eventually drafted. It will be intriquing to see how this scenario plays out for the Bills.

I have nothing against Andy Luck - he's a good kid, and a fine QB in the PAC 10.

You do realize he just turned 21 less than 2 months ago, yes? He is, in NFL terms, a child that would be 'chewed up and spit out', were there any coaches dumb enough to 'throw him to the wolves' in his rookie year.

Not only is Mallett a better fit for the Bills, but he could contribute sooner. (All moot points anyway, since Luck is staying in school next year.)

it would be very silly to abandon the NFL draft to go back to school...

Have you considered this silliness?:

If owners know they are going to lockout players why would they sign and pay huge money to rookies that won't play?

They don't lose anything by waiting until the Lockout is over to sign rookies, they own the rights until February.

One of the major issues in the labor negotiations is rookie salary cap, the NFLPA isn't completely opposed to some sort of rookie salary cap. So again why would a team pay the #1 pick 60 mil in guaranteed money with a huge signing bonus then lock the players out?

Its very likely that 1st round picks will have to wait awhile to sign a contract and worst case scenario reenter the 2012 draft.

Luck has 3.2+ GPA in an Engineering program at Stanford. He is too smart to get caught up in the nonsense.

Mallet isn't a rocket scientist but he has a year of eligibility left, who knows if he comes out.

Locker will be in the 2011 draft but I hope the Bills stay away from the Bust Locker early.

I have nothing against Andy Luck - he's a good kid, and a fine QB in the PAC 10.

You do realize he just turned 21 less than 2 months ago, yes? He is, in NFL terms, a child that would be 'chewed up and spit out', were there any coaches dumb enough to 'throw him to the wolves' in his rookie year.

Not only is Mallett a better fit for the Bills, but he could contribute sooner. (All moot points anyway, since Luck is staying in school next year.)

He is young, but Bradford was 22 until two days ago I believe I heard on the news. He's been "OK" so far. I wouldn't look too much into the age thing unless there were indications he was immature had an attitude problems or felt entitled.

I know your a huge Mallet fan, so why in your opinion is he a better fit for the Bills strong arm aside?

He is young, but Bradford was 22 until two days ago I believe I heard on the news. He's been "OK" so far. I wouldn't look too much into the age thing unless there were indications he was immature had an attitude problems or felt entitled.

I know your a huge Mallet fan, so why in your opinion is he a better fit for the Bills strong arm aside?

Age isnt the issue, its grasping NFL defenses.

Its my understanding that he plays in an NFL style offense and Mallett does not. (Senator, jump in if incorrect)

Scouts and GMs do consider that as a factor.

Its my understanding that he plays in an NFL style offense and Mallett does not. (Senator, jump in if incorrect)

Bobby Petrino runs the Pistol offense in Arkansas, which should sound familiar to Bills' fans because that Is Chan's specialty.

The Bills run a lot of Pistol offensive sets.

The Pistol offense isn't considered an "NFL style" offense, but "NFL style" offenses are turning into wide open pass happy offenses like the Pistol.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Bobby Petrino runs the Pistol offense in Arkansas, which should sound familiar to Bills' fans because that Is Chan's specialty.

The Bills run a lot of Pistol offensive sets.

The Pistol offense isn't considered an "NFL style" offense, but "NFL style" offenses are turning into wide open pass happy offenses like the Pistol.

The bills ran a handful of pistol this weekend. Their offense is not based from the pistol set. The NFL is a pass happy league but theres a reason scouts still look for pro style offenses.

In college, many WRs run their routes regardless of the defense, one reason why WRs dont have huge rookie years in the NFL typically. Thats bc in the NFL WRs need to adjust their routes based on shifting coverages.

Now the same goes for QBs who ahve the read the defense on the fly and know the WRs route. This is one reason why teams prefer college QBs who run these types of offenses with success.

Its hard to do to begin with, let alone learn it for the first time at the pro level.

Many spread sets, including the pistol are one read systems making it easy on everyone.

Your question can't be answered 'strong arm aside' - the strong arm is one of the major reasons, maybe the main reason, given the climate in Orchard Park, Foxboro*, NJ, etc.

But other reasons are Mallett's age and experience (and I recognize/acknowledge you don't see Luck's youth and inexperience as a disadvantage), his larger size (and he may still get bigger - not necessarily taller, but even more heft than now), and at least some cold-weather experience from his season at Michigan and the Fayetteville, AR winters. He plays a pro-style offense under Petrino, and one would argue that his 'numbers' are every bit as impressive as Luck's, even more so - only he achieved them against much stronger competition over longer time in a much tougher conference.

I'm not sure I even know what a 'pro-style' offense is any more, K-Gun!

NE* and the Colts have been running what looks like a spread-offense for several years (Urban Meyer & Belicheat* are close buddies) - GB and NO also use a spread-like package with great frequency (and success).

That said, I always thought Bobby Petrino's offense was considered a 'pro-style' offense.

(Interesting side-note - if the Bills DO end up with Ryan Mallett, they'll have two Petrino-coached QBs, Mallett and Brohm, along with a Petrino-coached center/guard in Eric Wood.)

Edited by The Senator

Your question can't be answered 'strong arm aside' - the strong arm is one of the major reasons, maybe the main reason, given the climate in Orchard Park, Foxboro*, NJ, etc.

But other reasons are Mallett's age and experience (and I recognize/acknowledge you don't see Luck's youth and inexperience as a disadvantage), his larger size (and he may still get bigger - not necessarily taller, but even more heft than now), and at least some cold-weather experience from his season at Michigan and the Fayetteville, AR winters. He plays a pro-style offense under Petrino, and one would argue that his 'numbers' are every bit as impressive as Luck's, even more so - only he achieved them against much stronger competition over longer time in a much tougher conference.

NE* and the Colts have been running what looks like a spread-offense for several years (Urban Meyer & Belicheat* are close buddies) - GB and NO also use a spread-like package with great frequency (and success).

That said, I always thought Bobby Petrino's offense was considered a 'pro-style' offense.

(Interesting side-note - if the Bills DO end up with Ryan Mallett, they'll have two Petrino-coached QBs, Mallett and Brohm, along with a Petrino-coached center/guard in Eric Wood.)

Right those teams have run more spread sets. They also have 3 pro bowl QBs running them. Most teams do not run offenses like those teams.

Its really about the types of reads the QB has to make, whether he was under center and less about what the actual formation is.

Right those teams have run more spread sets. They also have 3 pro bowl QBs running them. Most teams do not run offenses like those teams.

Its really about the types of reads the QB has to make, whether he was under center and less about what the actual formation is.

I think Gailey's more inclined to move in that direction (spread-like offense), which does seem to be the league-wide trend anyway, and obviously I think Mallet's going to be that Pro-Bowl QB for the Bills! B-)

Certainly Petrino, a former QB himself and former QB coach/OC for the Jaguars and HC in Atlanta, has to have been a good mentor to prepare Mallett for the NFL. (JMO.)

Edited by The Senator

Fair enough points. I'll buy into the strong arm argument if over the remaining home games it is apparent Fitz is hamstrung by his lack of arm strength. But if the offense can continue to move the ball with moderate success and his arm isn't an issue, I might be prone to discount this a bit.

Your right, pro-style can refer to a lot of things nowadays. I don't think he takes too many snaps from under center,does he?

Edited by stony

Fair enough points. I'll buy into the strong arm argument if over the remaining home games it is apparent Fitz is hamstrung by his lack of arm strength. But if the offense can continue to move the ball with moderate success and his arm isn't an issue, I might be prone to discount this a bit.

Your right, pro-style can refer to a lot of things nowadays. I don't think he takes too many snaps from under center,does he?

Neither did #12.

The bills ran a handful of pistol this weekend. Their offense is not based from the pistol set. The NFL is a pass happy league but theres a reason scouts still look for pro style offenses.

In college, many WRs run their routes regardless of the defense, one reason why WRs dont have huge rookie years in the NFL typically. Thats bc in the NFL WRs need to adjust their routes based on shifting coverages.

Now the same goes for QBs who ahve the read the defense on the fly and know the WRs route. This is one reason why teams prefer college QBs who run these types of offenses with success.

Its hard to do to begin with, let alone learn it for the first time at the pro level.

Many spread sets, including the pistol are one read systems making it easy on everyone.

By handful you mean about 60% of the passing plays?

All of those 3 wide, 1 step and gun it plays that Fitzy has been so good at are considered "Pistol" offense.

There is 1 read and Fitzy guns it, that's Chan's trick for turning Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Firzpatrick into stat monster QBs. He makes it easy for the QB.

By handful you mean about 60% of the passing plays?

All of those 3 wide, 1 step and gun it plays that Fitzy has been so good at are considered "Pistol" offense.

There is 1 read and Fitzy guns it, that's Chan's trick for turning Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Firzpatrick into stat monster QBs. He makes it easy for the QB.

The bills were in the pistol for 8 plays Sunday, which was the first time they've used it all season.