Losman not giving up...

brenty

Why do you want to see him get cut again? He was a model NFL player off the field for us , was always professional , and was a true competitor. I'd love to see him get signed and play well somewhere.

I will give you that he was a competitor. He sure did like him some Lee Evans too. B-)

Why would he quit trying? the dude has been playing football his whole life, i doubt he has anything else going for him. Plus will millions in the bank its not like he would want to work a normal job.

I personally hope he fails at whatever he does seeing as he as set this franchise back a decade.

You think that JP personally set us back a decade? I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he tried his hardest but maybe wasn't a good fit as a starting QB in the nfl. It was those who picked him, coached him, and paid him, that put us back. He was an alright guy and I believe he tried to help the city of Buffalo while he was there. He seemed like a pretty good guy to me and he gave us some exciting moments. Why would you want him to fail? That's messed up.

I personally hope he fails at whatever he does seeing as he as set this franchise back a decade.

not even close: wilson/his loyal team of beancounters/modrak....those are your culprits. we've been bad so at so many positions besides qb...to single out losman and blame him for 10 years of suck is insane.

Edited by jester43

Trent did turn out awful no doubt, but nobody could circle the loss column like JP Losman.

I think we can agree that in the Losman-Edwards wars, the Bills fans were the losers.

With Fitz at QB, I feel like our long nightmare is over. Not because he's a franchise QB but just because we finally have a guy who plays the position well.

The Bills will rue the day they chose to stick with Fanning-Fan Edwards over JP Losman.

Why? Because Losman was on the road to leading them to excellence and something will happen in the future to make us all see this "truth?"

It's always funny when fans of any team get mad at the player for being a bust. What's the player supposed to do when he gets drafted, say "No thanks, I shouldn't be picked until next round"?

Don't blame Losman for his failures as Bills QB. Blame the group who drafted him, and didn't secure a better option. Blame the group who managed to find the only bust in one of the best QB drafts in 25 years. Losman set the franchise back a decade??? Losman traded those '05 draft picks??? Certainly the Williams/McGahee/Whitner/McCargo/Lynch/Maybin picks had nothing to do with the poor decade.

At this point in his career, JP will have to earn anything that comes his way, and I hope he catches on somewhere. Either way, keep playing ball JP. UFL, arena, whatever. You're not missing anything with the rest of us stiffs in front of a computer screen. I hope he makes it happen. WR Mike Williams in Seattle has shown that being out of the league and swallowing a little pride can be a good thing.

Edited by LongLiveRalph

Why do you want to see him get cut again? He was a model NFL player off the field for us , was always professional , and was a true competitor. I'd love to see him get signed and play well somewhere.

Losman just refuses to quit, which is a positive attribute, not a negative. If only everybody had that kind of work ethic and determination. I hope all his hard work and dedication pays off for him. He was always a good guy and tried his hardest but just wasn't good enough while with the Bills.

I wonder if the OP hopes for continued failure for anybody in life who dedicates themselves to something and continuously tries to improve to reach a goal?

Edited by MDH

Losman just refuses to quit, which is a positive attribute, not a negative. If only everybody had that kind of work ethic and determination. I hope all his hard work and dedication pays off for him. He was always a good guy and tried his hardest but just wasn't good enough while with the Bills.

I wonder if the OP hopes for continued failure for anybody in life who dedicates themselves to something and continuously tries to improve to reach a goal?

If only he had the kind of work ethic you imagine, maybe he would have made a career as an NFL QB.

He wasn't good enough for the Raiders and Seahawks either.

I think we can agree that in the Losman-Edwards wars, the Bills fans were the losers.

QFT. Seriously there's no sense in arguing in favor of either one of these scrubs. There wasn't when they were on the team, and it makes even less sense now. They both were terrible on their own merits. People just need to let it go.

http://bighugelabs.com/output/motivatorba5e1af592d2b44b805e0b9987f4f29e46f3d7f7.jpg

Edited by Stealth

No doubt JP says this to his mirror every morning.

What all the coaches who have evaluated (and dumped or passed on) him no doubt see is a guy with decent athletic ability who doens't think he needs to put in the study time needed (even for the best of the best) to become a competent NFL QB.

He's never going to change.

Or, he puts in the study time, but it doesn't do him much good because of his mental limitations. A lot of college quarterbacks don't have the mental gifts necessary to succeed in the pros.

A couple people have talked about JP having a poor work ethic.

Where does this come from? Is there a shred of evidence to support this?

I wish JP well. He seems to have a ton of natural ability and I like the guy. I suspect that the main reason he has not had success is that NFL QB is a ridiculously hard job and the competition is insane.

To paraphrase Norm MacDonald's character from the Norm show, JP is a really great football player. It's only compared to other NFL football players that he's not that great.

A couple people have talked about JP having a poor work ethic.

Where does this come from? Is there a shred of evidence to support this?

I wish JP well. He seems to have a ton of natural ability and I like the guy. I suspect that the main reason he has not had success is that NFL QB is a ridiculously hard job and the competition is insane.

To paraphrase Norm MacDonald's character from the Norm show, JP is a really great football player. It's only compared to other NFL football players that he's not that great.

The evidence is deductive---watching him play on Sundays, there was no indication that he really had any idea what the opposing defense was doing. How can he be truly studying film on an opponent all week and still look so clueless? Is that "poor coaching"?? No, it's not.

Anyway, who was his "insane competition" in Oakland? Seattle? In Buffalo??

LOL, it's *douche*, douche. If questioning JP's work ethic is too much for you to handle, then buy yourself a cheap pacifier. Let me guess: You own a Losman jersey and still think he should be starting.

The kid was okay. As a guy. Said the right things for the most part. Franchise QB? Not in this universe or any parallel alternate.

it was misspelled on purpose...i dont even care about the losman part of it..i was commenting on your idiotic post

That's not how u spell douche.... Douche.

apparently you two nose pickers knew what i meant though!.. i meant to misspell it

The evidence is deductive---watching him play on Sundays, there was no indication that he really had any idea what the opposing defense was doing. How can he be truly studying film on an opponent all week and still look so clueless? Is that "poor coaching"?? No, it's not.

That's not deduction. It's speculation.

That is semantics

No, I choose my words carefully.

You cannot deduce that Losman's work ethic is lacking from a series of observations of him reading defenses poorly. If you were to draw a conclusion from these observations, it would be more induction than deduction. Either way, it's unsound because you do not know the reason for his bad play. Could simply be that he's not talented enough--that he is not skilled enough at processing all the relevant information quickly under fire.

Anyway, to conclude that it's because of a poor work ethic is, like I said, speculation...especially since that was never the word on him. I've never heard a hint of anything from any teammate, coach or journalist that Losman did not work hard.

You cannot deduce that Losman's work ethic is lacking from a series of observations of him reading defenses poorly. If you were to draw a conclusion from these observations, it would be more induction than deduction. Either way, it's unsound because you do not know the reason for his bad play. Could simply be that he's not talented enough--that he is not skilled enough at processing all the relevant information quickly under fire.

Anyway, to conclude that it's because of a poor work ethic is, like I said, speculation...especially since that was never the word on him. I've never heard a hint of anything from any teammate, coach or journalist that Losman did not work hard.

Then he's just a hardworking yet very unlucky loser with a heart of gold?

Why would he quit trying? the dude has been playing football his whole life, i doubt he has anything else going for him. Plus will millions in the bank its not like he would want to work a normal job.

Whoa, such hate.

I don't understand why you would hope for someone to fail. He tried his best and he didn't make it which is the fate of the vast majority of college QB's who ever dreamt of NFL stardom. I wish him all the best, he gave it all he had.

What did Losman do to gain your approval that Trent failed to do?

jesus i think i said it in my post, um "WENT DEEP" "WON GAMES" by that I mean he threw to wide outs in the end zone not dump offs that running backs took to the house. TE lost alot of games where the opponent scored only 10...or 8 remember cleveland? 8-0?

I mean really?? you dont see the difference in a childish vagina like Trent and a man like losman? Ya they both sucked but JP had balls and heart, just no brain, TE had none of the above and a lame release and even lamer press conferences. rubbing his face and hair while looking sideways at reporters. Just a total douche who belongs no where near the nfl, except maybe in san francisco where he would fit right in to that community.

jesus i think i said it in my post, um "WENT DEEP" "WON GAMES" by that I mean he threw to wide outs in the end zone not dump offs that running backs took to the house. TE lost alot of games where the opponent scored only 10...or 8 remember cleveland? 8-0?

I mean really?? you dont see the difference in a childish vagina like Trent and a man like losman? Ya they both sucked but JP had balls and heart, just no brain, TE had none of the above and a lame release and even lamer press conferences. rubbing his face and hair while looking sideways at reporters. Just a total douche who belongs no where near the nfl, except maybe in san francisco where he would fit right in to that community.

Losman did well by throwing the ball deep, until teams realized that when you face Losman, you double cover Evans and force him to beat you with the underneath stuff. Trent did well with the short game until teams realized that when you face him, you take away the short stuff and force him to beat you deep.

Trent Edwards has averaged 6.5 yards per attempt over the course of his career. Losman has averaged 6.6 yards per attempt. This Bills released both quarterbacks outright, which strongly suggests no one else was interested in trading for them.

I got the sense that in press conferences, both quarterbacks were focused on saying the politically correct thing and not making waves.

I don't see why you feel Losman is more of a man than Trent. Neither quarterback is a manly leader like Kelly. Both quarterbacks have shown toughness by taking a ton of punishment behind a porous Bills line. Both have missed significant time due to injuries. But a lot of quarterbacks would have gotten injured playing behind a line like that!

I'll grant that Losman took more risks on the field than Edwards did. But for all we know, Jauron and the Bills' coaching staff instructed Edwards to avoid taking risks. Perhaps they told Edwards that Losman had been benched for taking too many risks. I don't really see how you can blame a player for doing what his coaches have told him to do. Edwards only had two games under a non-Jauron/van Pelt coaching staff, and he didn't get any pass protection at all in either game. When you're not getting protected, you're not going to be able to wait for the deep game to open up.

I'm not trying to justify Trent's playing style. It was obvious that neither he nor Losman had a very good idea about what was going on out there. They made up for that lack of awareness in different ways: Trent by focusing on dump-offs, Losman by locking onto his primary target. Fitz, on the other hand, has a much better sense of what's going on; so he can take the right risks, while avoiding the wrong ones.

Losman did well by throwing the ball deep, until teams realized that when you face Losman, you double cover Evans and force him to beat you with the underneath stuff. Trent did well with the short game until teams realized that when you face him, you take away the short stuff and force him to beat you deep.

Trent Edwards has averaged 6.5 yards per attempt over the course of his career. Losman has averaged 6.6 yards per attempt. This Bills released both quarterbacks outright, which strongly suggests no one else was interested in trading for them.

I got the sense that in press conferences, both quarterbacks were focused on saying the politically correct thing and not making waves.

I don't see why you feel Losman is more of a man than Trent. Neither quarterback is a manly leader like Kelly. Both quarterbacks have shown toughness by taking a ton of punishment behind a porous Bills line. Both have missed significant time due to injuries. But a lot of quarterbacks would have gotten injured playing behind a line like that!

I'll grant that Losman took more risks on the field than Edwards did. But for all we know, Jauron and the Bills' coaching staff instructed Edwards to avoid taking risks. Perhaps they told Edwards that Losman had been benched for taking too many risks. I don't really see how you can blame a player for doing what his coaches have told him to do. Edwards only had two games under a non-Jauron/van Pelt coaching staff, and he didn't get any pass protection at all in either game. When you're not getting protected, you're not going to be able to wait for the deep game to open up.

I'm not trying to justify Trent's playing style. It was obvious that neither he nor Losman had a very good idea about what was going on out there. They made up for that lack of awareness in different ways: Trent by focusing on dump-offs, Losman by locking onto his primary target. Fitz, on the other hand, has a much better sense of what's going on; so he can take the right risks, while avoiding the wrong ones.

Great post. The one thing I don't understand is the sea change in offense between the last half of 2006 (where JPL had a bit of success in running the O) and the pathetic playcalling in 2007, which seemed to negate his strengths.

Great post. The one thing I don't understand is the sea change in offense between the last half of 2006 (where JPL had a bit of success in running the O) and the pathetic playcalling in 2007, which seemed to negate his strengths.

Except for the ultimate conclusion he draws after all that drivel...

"Fitz, on the other hand, has a much better sense of what's going on; so he can take the right risks, while avoiding the wrong ones."

Fitz takes plenty of 'wrong' risks.

(The ball also seems to slip off his hand at least once or twice a game, usually at key moments.)

I'll always wonder how Losman might have developed, given a real coach and a real offensive coordinator.

Either he didn't study hard enough or he isn't very bright and cannot make up for this deficit with any innate instinct for the game. There isn't a third choice to explain his utter and contimued failure. And to suggest that his competition was too tough is crazy--this guy is lucky enough to have been put agaisnt some of the worst QBs around (Edwards, Hamdan, Russell, Gradkowski, Whitehurst.....) and still couldn't impress a wide array of HCs and OCs.

Edward's Arm always brings reason to the board.

As for the second half of the 2006 season, the caoching staff WAS playing to JPs strengths---which meant limiting the times he threw the ball. The myth of JP is that they should just have let him open it up and air it out. The problem is that 5 of their 9 losses came when JP threw over 25 passes. 4 of their 7 wins came when they limited him to under 20 passes. In his entire career, he has won a total of 3 games when he's attempted 30 or more passes.

Except for the ultimate conclusion he draws after all that drivel...

"Fitz, on the other hand, has a much better sense of what's going on; so he can take the right risks, while avoiding the wrong ones."

Fitz takes plenty of 'wrong' risks.

(The ball also seems to slip off his hand at least once or twice a game, usually at key moments.)

I'll always wonder how Losman might have developed, given a real coach and a real offensive coordinator.

This line is always good for a laugh. Given the fact that everyone else has concluded that he had neither the intelligence or instincts for the position of QB, it's amazing a few guys still cling to this bizarre notion.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Then he's just a hardworking yet very unlucky loser with a heart of gold?

I wouldn't say he's unlucky and he's definitely not a loser. He got to play in the NFL. He has lots of money. He's still young enough that he has a pretty good shot of making it back into the NFL.

I wouldn't say he's unlucky and he's definitely not a loser. He got to play in the NFL. He has lots of money. He's still young enough that he has a pretty good shot of making it back into the NFL.

After saying he's not talented enough to be an NFL QB, how can you say "he has a pretty good shot of making it back into the NFL"?

He has already been tossed out of the league 3 times by 3 crappy teams.

But he certainly is not a loser--and he is extremely lucky. He convinced a few junior scouts from a scouting organization, after one mediocre season on a crappy college team that he was the best draft prospect in the nation, which he then parlayed into a 1st round pick and millions of dollars. AND, he has a tiny but vocal fan base that hopes he keeps this "career" up forever!

And look--is he working out with Russell again in DC? Oh, the stories those two 1st rounders must tell.....!

The problem here actually seems to be a failure in your deductive reasoning. You seem to be both ignoring the facts which surrounded his development of bad pro habits and also failing to see cases of actual occurrences on gameday which seem pretty clearly linked to why Losman was a failure here.

The things which your deductive reasoning seems to choose to ignore for some reason even though they seem clearly related to Losman's failings as a Bill are:

1. He pretty clearly seemed to suffer as a pro having played in a run for your life offense behind a turnstile OL at Tulane. In Losman's case and in Edward's case, the Bills seem to want the player to perform in a manner which was different from how he had excelled in other cases. If one watched the games on Sunday's one could actually see Losman perform best on plays where things broke down and he had to look and react and perform poorly on designed plays where he seemed to throw the ball repetitively into the turf on short passes (when he and Evans hooked up a noticeable number of times on long bombs. The best play I saw him make was actually on a play where the center hiked it over his head, he turned and caught it on the bounce, kept looking downfield while running for his life and found Gaines for a first down. The occaisional play did show some pretty good football habits and instincts. Just no consistent enough to be a winner but not brainless either.

2. you seem to fail to understand that the freelance style which seem to suit JPs limitations and strengths better actually requires a good understanding of the D and O schemes to work. True, he did not consistently display a consistent successful application of these schemes to merit keeping him. However, the problem was not one of him throwing consistently to the wrong guy, but seemingly having a problem multi-tasking and performing basic tasks like throwing accurately to the right guy.

3. JP clearly understood his weakenesses and strengths and was not simply braindead as you seem to imply. When Bledsoe got let go after TD was forced to admit how stupid he was to extend him, JP himself declared that he had not won the job the way it needed to be won. he was not clueless, he was right on target about his limitations.

I agree with you 100%.. JP never did anything wrong off the field.. He was involved with the community.. Lived IN the city of Buffalo.. Worked for numerous charity organizations.. I always believed he was given te short end of the stick with the Bills.. How many QB coachs did he have? How many head coaches? The only thing constant for him was the inconstancy of a poorly run franchise!!