Bills to sign Thaddeus Gibson?

Fingon

The Steelers likely sacrificed their fourth-round draft choice on the altar of having defensive end Aaron Smith back -- maybe, possibly --for the playoffs.

Linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, who was placed on waivers Saturday so the Steelers could add defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the roster for a third game this season, likely will be claimed by another team off waivers today. It is expected that, at the very least, Buffalo will put in a claim for him; Doug Whaley, the former Steelers pro personnel coordinator, is Buffalo's assistant general manager

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10305/1099796-66.stm?cmpid=relatedarticle

I hope they put in a waiver claim, he's an extremely athletic OLB; that was only cut because the Steelers have insane depth at LB.

Edited by Fingon

Please sign him and waive Maybin....please let's put the man out of his misery....

How about Kelsay instead of Maybin. At least when Maybin plays theres some excitement because he may be getting better, but we all know Kelsay is just getting worse and worse (if thats possible).

In fact, we should've traded Kelsey for him. Kelsey probably would look like an average player (as opposed to the bottom of the barrel) surrounded by Steeler defenders.

Here is link to his draft coverage. Looks better than the trash we have now.

Gibson's Resume

Looks good. In fact, the Bills should be raiding the Practice Squads of decent teams. These kids wouldn't be any worse than our current starters. We'll get some great quality young players this way. It would be like a mid-season draft.

Edited by kas23

I hope they put in a waiver claim, he's an extremely athletic OLB; that was only cut because the Steelers have insane depth at LB.

I find the original article's wording kind of funny. It says at the very least Buffalo will put in a claim for him. If it is a sure bet that Buffalo puts a claim in is it not a sure bet that he will be a Buffalo Bill?

The Steelers are very good at drafting, especially on defense. We have to admit we would all love to draft the way that they do. They didn't cut the guy because they hate him. They have injury issues on the defensive front and needed to make room so they decided to free up space where they are heavy. Plus, they at least thought enough about him to sign him to the practice squad. There isn't much of a downside here. Let's give the kid a shot.

Edited by CapitalRegionBillsFan

The Steelers are very good at drafting, especially on defense. We have to admit we would all love to draft the way that they do. They didn't cut the guy because they hate him. They have injury issues on the defensive front and needed to make room so they decided to free up space where they are heavy. Plus, they at least thought enough about him to sign him to the practice squad. There isn't much of a downside here. Let's give the kid a shot.

Unless he is in a full body cast, he's got to be an upgrade to the Bills OLBs. Scratch that, even if he is in a full body cast, he'd be an upgrade. B-)

Good thing bout our record is we get him if we want him :thumbsup::oops:

I believe they go by last years' record as opposed to this year when deciding whom gets whom on the waiver wire. If that's the case, we'll have about 8 teams in front of us for Thadeus' services. Not a lock, at all.

We have nothing to lose, but this kid hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet. That's not saying he won't be able to contribute... it just means he hasn't been able to crack that tough defensive line-up in Pittsburgh.

Hell, I'm ready for anyone to come in and help, why not start the auditions now?

I believe they go by last years' record as opposed to this year when deciding whom gets whom on the waiver wire. If that's the case, we'll have about 8 teams in front of us for Thadeus' services. Not a lock, at all.

The order in which NFL teams are given the opportunity to claim a player from the waiver wire is determined by the previous season's final standings. The team with the worst record gets the first chance at claiming players off the waiver wire, then the team with the second worst gets the next chance, and so on up to the league's best team.

NFL Waiver Rules

I thought it was current record but you are correct. So the Bills are #9 in the pecking order.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That is true. I guess we'll still get screwed. Hell Tampa (5-2), KC (5-2), Seattle (4-3), St Louis (4-4), Washington (4-4), Oakland (4-4), Cleveland (2-5), and Detroit (2-5) all have a shot at him first...

I guess we get first crack in next years waiver system... Ugh!

How about Kelsay instead of Maybin. At least when Maybin plays theres some excitement because he may be getting better, but we all know Kelsay is just getting worse and worse (if thats possible).

cut maybin, deactivate Kalsay and add Thad. I am sure if he has any value Whaley has already been in touch.

It would be incredible if we could get some speed at that spot (speed that actually plays its way on the field, not cheering on the sideline):

3/15/10: Thaddeus Gibson ran a blazing 4.58 at his Pro Day. He's a late Day 2/early Day 3 rush linebacker prospect. (From Walter Football)

Edited by FightClub

The Steelers' 4th round pick, and an athletic OLB to boot? With the amazing eye for LB talent the Steelers scouts have had for the past 10 or more years? This could end up being a no-brainer move possibly comparable to Polian stealing Steve Tasker off the Oilers' scrap heap back in 1986!!

So naturally I don't expect Nix to make a claim for him. It would make too much common sense, espcially with Whaley working for him as his Pro Player Personnel Manager. And over the past 11 years, Bills' GM's don't do much of anything that makes any sense at all, much less common sense!

Example: Modrak will probably talk Nix out of signing this kid by guaranteeing him he will find an OLB out of NorthEast SouthWest Alaska State Tech College that plays intramural football every other season, and will be much cheaper to sign to a contract, next April! :cry::bag:

I thought it was current record but you are correct. So the Bills are #9 in the pecking order.

PTR

Actually, there's a strange quirk in the waiver wire order rules: the previous years' standings are only used in determining proper waiver claim order prior to completion of the 3rd week of the current season. I recalled this Florio article about Trent Edwards' release where it was clarified by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/clearing-the-air-on-the-waiver-order-for-trent-edwards/

So, at this point, it will be determined by the 2010 standings and the Bills will have first priority.

So naturally I don't expect Nix to make a claim for him. It would make too much common sense, espcially with Whaley working for him as his Pro Player Personnel Manager. And over the past 11 years, Bills' GM's don't do much of anything that makes any sense at all, much less common sense!

Then you don't follow this team very well. You didn't see them pick up incognito off of waivers last year or pick other players of the PS?

These guys are actually pretty active as far as digging at the bottom of the barrel. This isn't their problem. Their problem is they draft players like maybin who shouldn't be playing football, let alone be in the nfl.

Actually, there's a strange quirk in the waiver wire order rules: the previous years' standings are only used in determining proper waiver claim order prior to completion of the 3rd week of the current season. I recalled this Florio article about Trent Edwards' release where it was clarified by NFL spokesman Greg Aiello:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/28/clearing-the-air-on-the-waiver-order-for-trent-edwards/

So, at this point, it will be determined by the 2010 standings and the Bills will have first priority.

Thanks. Funny reading that story again,. I wonder how many teams want Trent now?

PTR

Then you don't follow this team very well. You didn't see them pick up incognito off of waivers last year or pick other players of the PS?These guys are actually pretty active as far as digging at the bottom of the barrel. This isn't their problem. Their problem is they draft players like maybin who shouldn't be playing football, let alone be in the nfl.

Did the current GM draft Maybin ? I don't think so !

http://profootballta...-trent-edwards/

That's good news. Nice find!!!

Well the steelers cut him sat and his info is already off their site and hes off the roster....

If it goes by the current record and we did want him then I guess its just a matter of time till they're able to announce it....

Thanks. Funny reading that story again,. I wonder how many teams want Trent now?

PTR

That's good news. Nice find!!!

Now hopefully they actually claim him! He's another "tweener" (he was a DE in college) but he's definitely an intriguing prospect. We'll know for sure by tomorrow at 4pm or so.